Ralf Rangnick | Austria manager

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
But wasn’t it made clear that he will only work for 6 days a month with United. What are people expecting from him? To do work for us throughout the month when he’s contracted to do only 6 days?

I think there is enough room for him to do his job here at United and take up an international managerial role, which isn’t that intense a job.
I really don’t see the fuss about this.
There is a certain group of people on here that just want to slate the guy no matter what.

These same people have no concept of what consultancy works entails and not trying to even understand it in good faith. Best ignored.

tomaldinho1

But he won't.

This club is in a state of disrepair and requires full undivided attention. Not someone who will pop in for a few days every month.
He doesn’t need to be there - he knows the current structure and knows the current players. He will have his recommendations on changes and otherwise it’s clear from his comments his focus is on recruitment, which basically means leveraging his massive BL network and likely feeding our scouts names. He could do that role completely remotely.

kopviolator

If they're not good enough then they shouldn't be managing or playing for United. End of.
Right. Should all the senior players be booted out then this summer? In the end none of them has been good enough.
As for Rangnick, a vast group of supporters has been calling for a change in recruitment policy and decision making. Allegedly, Ralf has a good track record in restructuring the environment in his previous clubs and has glowing recomendations from Klopp no less. The club has decided to have this man for the remainder of the season with the objective to reform the club. Otherwise he wouldn't stay for a consultancy role. I cant understand calls for this man to feck off. I get that its based largely on frustration but remember that everyone wanted Ole out - and he's just come in for a few months to do a job. I mean big Sam could maybe have done better but it would hardly have satisfied anyone and I'm not sure ETH would have benefitted from that.

Dan-Utd

Gary Neville is confused by Ralf's decision to take the Austria job and wonders where the priority will be, he does have a point.

International management doesn't take up as much time but when there is a World Cup or Euro's it takes a chunk of the summer - which is the busiest times for football clubs to be signing players, wheeling and dealing, arranging loans to ensure the youngsters can develop.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Gary Neville is confused by Ralf's decision to take the Austria job and wonders where the priority will be, he does have a point.

International management doesn't take up as much time but when there is a World Cup or Euro's it takes a chunk of the summer - which is the busiest times for football clubs to be signing players, wheeling and dealing, arranging loans to ensure the youngsters can develop.
The next coming World Cup will be in winter though.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.

Gary Neville is full of shit to be fair. Don't think he fully grasps what a consultancy role essentially is - especially one that is not full time.

tenpoless

Gary Neville is full of shit to be fair. Don't think he fully grasps what a consultancy role essentially is - especially one that is not full time.
Man is paid for his expert opinions & guidance as external consultant and Gary wants him to come to training ground every week handing towels to the players. How can he do that if he is managing Austria?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
We hired a shit manager mid season so he could have a 6 day a month consultancy role the following season. Makes perfect sense

Huddsred

Right. Should all the senior players be booted out then this summer? In the end none of them has been good enough.
As for Rangnick, a vast group of supporters has been calling for a change in recruitment policy and decision making. Allegedly, Ralf has a good track record in restructuring the environment in his previous clubs and has glowing recomendations from Klopp no less. The club has decided to have this man for the remainder of the season with the objective to reform the club. Otherwise he wouldn't stay for a consultancy role. I cant understand calls for this man to feck off. I get that its based largely on frustration but remember that everyone wanted Ole out - and he's just come in for a few months to do a job. I mean big Sam could maybe have done better but it would hardly have satisfied anyone and I'm not sure ETH would have benefitted from that.
Obviously we can't boot all the players out in one summer but should some of them be booted out? Absolutely. As for Klopp endorsing Rangnick, I'm sure he's very pleased with the job he's doing at Utd. To me it just seems odd that he'll be managing Austria and consulting part time for us at the same time. Surely either do one or the other?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
We hired a shit manager mid season so he could have a 6 day a month consultancy role the following season. Makes perfect sense
We hired him to work full time as a manager for 6 months and then take on a part time consultancy role once we get a permanent manager on board. That not only makes sense it was explicitly stated as the plan when we hired him.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
But he won't.

This club is in a state of disrepair and requires full undivided attention. Not someone who will pop in for a few days every month.
An employee does the hours they are contracted for. Only a complete idiot would devote their life to a job they are contracted for 6 days a month. Anyone employed on a consultancy role for 6 days a month obvious just fulfills that remit. What they do in their free time is none of the employers business as long as they fulfill their duties.

R'hllor

Who gives a shit really, if you look without context he failed as interim, him being advisor still doesnt change a fact that its not him making a final call.

Cloud7

International managers don’t work full time most of the time anyway. I see no reason why he can’t do this and the United consultancy.

What’s more curious about this to me is that they opted to hire him as a manager. His managerial work has been below par with us, and by and large his best work throughout his career has been above the manager rather than as the manager.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I guess Austria really liked how RR motivated MU players to new heights, his timely substitutions that changed matches, his consistent tactics, and how backs all his players in the press. Austria will be a force in the next Euro Cup with RR at the helm.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I’m hoping he is still involved as a consultant he gives a no nonsense opnion and clearly knowes about how to develop a club.

However, I get the feeling he has burnt Bridges at the club posing out how badly the team/club has been built, ran, coached. No one likes some one coming and and saying you guys clearly have had no idea what your doing this is a mess.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
We hired him to work full time as a manager for 6 months and then take on a part time consultancy role once we get a permanent manager on board. That not only makes sense it was explicitly stated as the plan when we hired him.
Yes that’s what I said. And he’s failed here as a manager. Sad if that’s the best interim manager we could have found and silly if we got him as a manager just if we could have as a part time consultant afterwards.

Stig

Surprised at those saying this is good news, surely the whole narrative has been we need more football people involved in the club at a senior level.

Personally hope he stays with us

Agreed.

Ole was rubbish, Ralf is rubbish... the common thread seems to be the players and some form of huge negativity at the club; not the managers. You can tell that RR is absolutely gobsmacked at the lack of professionalism at the club. Those who were criticizing Ole should probably apologize, and be grateful that we will now have a consultant who thinks the place is an absolute mess and has been employed to help sort it out. An independent man came in said " this place and the team and everything is a disgrace, and now people are saying 'get rid of him' - how bizarre.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
I don't have an issue with the Austria job TBH, if this contract involved 6 days work per month then he was never going to basing himself in Manchester or even the UK anyway. Also who was ever expecting him to be going to be sitting at home scratching for the other 24 days a month. My initial concern was that he would take a job with another European club which would have been a clear conflict. An international job actually makes complete sense to all parties when you think through the situation.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Amarsdd

Do we know the details of the consultancy job? without that I don't think we can say how his Austia job would hamper it. If he is supposed to be a consultant for the day to day running of the footballing side of the club than obviously he has to be more involved and the Austria job might hamper that. If he's just meant to consult on players here and there, then I don't think the Austria job would be an issue.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
As utterly pointless as his 6months here looks at the moment, it's simply a case of whether the new manager does well.
If he does, it was worth doing.

If we basically wrote off 6 months to get another appointment wrong, then there are no words.

432JuanMata

As utterly pointless as his 6months here looks at the moment, it's simply a case of whether the new manager does well.
If he does, it was worth doing.

If we basically wrote off 6 months to get another appointment wrong, then there are no words.
Was it pointless though. He did a shit job management wise but let the board ETH and fans(we knew) what the players are really like.

This will help ETH a lot this summer

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Was it pointless though. He did a shit job management wise but let the board ETH and fans(we knew) what the players are really like.

This will help ETH a lot this summer
What makes you think that any decision we've made is down to him though?

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Good for him, can do both jobs at the same time it would be different if he was joining a club team but joining a national team doesn't require him to be at work every day.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
It's very possible Ten Hag will not want RR as a consultant and the manager should have a large say in such things. RR as a consultant could cause confusion as to who is in charge of what. Who has the final say on transfers and organization? I becoming very skeptical about the whole RR approach given he is not a good manager and what his role will be as a consultant.

Moriarty

It's very possible Ten Hag will not want RR as a consultant and the manager should have a large say in such things. RR as a consultant could cause confusion as to who is in charge of what. Who has the final say on transfers and organization? I becoming very skeptical about the whole RR approach given he is not a good manager and what his role will be as a consultant.
When are consultants in charge of anything? Their job is to analyze a situation and make recommendations. Mind you, his role as manager here might blur the lines somewhat.

Lyng

He has had 6 months getting to know the club and players. This will make his consultancy work much easier to perform. A lot issues with players and structure he will be able to let ETH know and help change. Essentially we have saved ETH 6 months of getting to know all of this himself. He will be able to work much more efficiently in his first transfer window and will be able to go straight into fixing player issues during the summer break. I'd rather that then top 4 with Carrick and then a new manager beginning from scratch again.

Lecland07

It won't cause any confusion if Ten Hag knows the meaning of consultation. Ragnick will be employed as a consultant, which means he will have no decision-making authority. If he had any decision-making authority, he would be considered part of management and not a consultant. All decisions will be made by the one receiving advice; it will just give them a more information to make a decision.

It says that the consultancy role will mostly be based around recruitment. This is beneficial as Ragnick has a fantastic record with this; he is an expert in the field. I don't see how anyone can see this has as a negative.

These are some signings and promotions identified under Ragnick: Mane, Haaland, Keita, Konate, Sabitzer, Kimmich, Upamecano, Werner, Haidara, Firmino, Neuer (promoted to the first team by him at Schalke)

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
His Austria side was very impressive tonight and beat Croatia 3-0 and yet it was all Ralf’s fault?

Jibbs

A big middle finger to all decision makers and influencers at United.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I hope he does well for Austria. They have some cracking players and Ralf seems like a good bloke.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
No manager can succeed if he's undermined by the players and not backed by the board.

Lee565

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, it's one match and Croatia are nowhere near the same quality of 2018 wc, also there have been quite a lot of upset victories these past few days in the nations league/friendly matches

90 + 5min

Nobody needed to wonder. Just take a look at our players and behaviour on and off the pitch. People can call Rangnick whatever they want but the manager was not fault. Neither our previous managers.

PSV

It's becoming clear - our board is playing 4D Chess. His advisor role is clearly still going on, but the board have allowed him to go undercover.

The players blamed Ralf and he blamed the players, which put us at a standstill in an undesired situation.

So now they've obviously sent Ralf to a different team to have them play well in order to put pressure on our players.

The players have now been cornered and their only move now is to show up once the season starts.

That's when the real confusion starts.