Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moriarty

Things are starting to get hazy! Props to Doc then. Big Ron had always looked more of a player than Doc.
Big Ron was a flash bastard. My mate's mum bumped into him in Midland Hotel. Said he was dripping with more gold than an Arab potentate. The Doc was more of a dark horse.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Last night was a free hit. He got the balance of the midfield very wrong which ruined the game somewhat. But he's also learning about those players. Pretty sure we won't see that midfield combination again.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Big Ron was a flash bastard. My mate's mum bumped into him in Midland Hotel. Said he was dripping with more gold than an Arab potentate. The Doc was more of a dark horse.
Big Ron probably slept with someone's sister and his mum. But never got caught or it was somewhat expected of him. It would have made unsurprising news.
People were probably just surprised Doc had it in him! And it was news.

peridigm

Last night was a free hit. He got the balance of the midfield very wrong which ruined the game somewhat. But he's also learning about those players. Pretty sure we won't see that midfield combination again.
We probably won't see many of those players in the CL again let alone the PL. Mata and Lingard might get the occasional FA Cup appearance. Lingard may get the occasional PL sub appearance.

HailtotheKing

It's quite funny. Some of the comments after the lineup last night in contrast to if Ole had put that team out were unbelievable. And the positivity still after sitting through that abomination of a game.

I mean, I am all for optimism, god knows this place needs it, but the double standards are mental.
Not really. You cant judge like for like. Ole had been here 3 years, Rangnick, 3 minutes. He needed to play that team because firstly, Ole's lack of squad rotation meant half the squad had no game fitness and the rest of the squad needed a rest during a crazy period. On top of that, he needed to assess players that hadn't had game time. So he did exactly what he needed to do and should do. So no double standards just smart, sensible thinking.

Foxbatt

He explained in the press conference why he rested all the players. he said that they already had a training session and will have one on Thursday and Friday too. If they had played on Wednesday he could not have those training sessions.
I see that he would play the players he rested against Norwich on Sunday and Mason and DVB would be on the bench with Bailly.

lsd

The Oracle
Big Ron probably slept with someone's sister and his mum. But never got caught or it was somewhat expected of him. It would have made unsurprising news.

To be fair to Tommy he married her and lived happily with her after everything broke so you can't blame him for just falling in love with someone

Red Royal

Big Ron was known as Mr Bojangles... he did bring Bryan Robson (and Remi Moses) to the club, which went a long way to the eventual success we all know about. Hopefully we can say the same in the future for OGS with Bruno & Sancho.

stepic

I wasnt impressed.

That was like a charity match last night and I'm baffled as to why he chose to play so many of the youngsters and Mata.
I cant see many of them players featuring much over the season

I'll judge the new manager in May all the same.
god help you if you find that baffling.

Foxbatt

Big Ron was known as Mr Bojangles... he did bring Bryan Robson (and Remi Moses) to the club, which went a long way to the eventual success we all know about. Hopefully we can say the same in the future for OGS with Bruno & Sancho.
Didn't Big Ron say for that price he could have got the Original Moses? :lol:

BigRon1985

It was a massive scandal at the time I remember and it cost him his job despite winning the FA Cup weeks earlier and promotion the season before.

Big Ron certainly was flash, arrogant and simply oozed charisma - still my all time favourite Utd manager (not based on trophies of course!)

I wasnt impressed.

That was like a charity match last night and I'm baffled as to why he chose to play so many of the youngsters and Mata.
I cant see many of them players featuring much over the season

I'll judge the new manager in May all the same.
The game was a charity match. A dead rubber. Nothing can be taken from the fixture.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The fro Bros.

Ahmer Baig

Wooosh, I’ve rattled some cages in here today, never had so many replies.

Let me be clear, for those making accusations about my intent, I am not upset that Ole got sacked, quite the opposite, I think he should have been sacked sooner (immediately after Liverpool at the latest) and in no way harbour any hostility towards the new manager, I’m excited to see how he does.

However, that doesn’t mean he should be immune to any criticism. I realise that this is not a game to judge him on too harshly, but there’s no need for over the top praise for what was quite frankly unimpressive either.

We are led to believe Ralf is a tactical genius, I just didn’t see anything of the sort last night so thought it was funny to see such praise and excitement.
Do you really want to criticize the new manager after his second game when he has has hardly any time to train with all the players?

The reason everyone is having a go at you is because you cannot seem to understand is that even after so many years we couldn't understand what was Ole style of play whereas RR knows from day one what he wants from players. All he needs is some time to implement his own style of play.

I'm a beautiful thing

I remember Big Ron as our manager... Vaguely. Getting sacked for bonking someone's missus I think.
So it's easier for folks like me to put things in perspective.
Tommy went off with the then physio's, wife, I was so disappointed when the Doc went, loved him.
The season in league 2 and the two seasons after in league one were so much fun especially when you're a young and daft teenager

youngrell

Do you really want to criticize the new manager after his second game when he has has hardly any time to train with all the players?

The reason everyone is having a go at you is because you cannot seem to understand is that even after so many years we couldn't understand what was Ole style of play whereas RR knows from day one what he wants from players. All he needs is some time to implement his own style of play.
No, you are right, I do not want to criticise the new manager after 2 games. It was just strange to see the ott praise for a poor night’s work. It would have been better if everyone just called it for what it was.

Artimities

Playing the B team if you want to call it that was not a bad idea at all, and given the situation, was the perfect thing to do. RR needed to see what he has and I think if anything yesterday showed him who he can and can't play going forward.
In my mind, VDB, Diallo, Greenwood and elanda all showed that they are capable subs.

Glorio

No, you are right, I do not want to criticise the new manager after 2 games. It was just strange to see the ott praise for a poor night’s work. It would have been better if everyone just called it for what it was.
Now I'm curious. What did people call it?

Greck

Too many replies to respond to each individually.

I didn't mean to be negative about the new manager (or to big up Ole) I just found it quite funny reading the comments last night after seeing the lineup. It was a terrible XI – not the young players, more so the use of the senior players – the game panned out as bad as expected and pretty much nothing was changed during the game. It was exactly as if Ole was still in charge but post-match the praise continued as if it was some sort of genius management.

Baffled me a bit.
I mean fair enough if you didn't like the game, the result or the team selection but it doesn't look anything but positive if you want to put it beside Ole's management. One way to look at it is Rangnick was good enough to get a point without our entire starting eleven. Ole would barely rest one starter against bottom table teams, he was that talent reliant.

edit. Now I think about it didn't Ole lose to young boys with a full strength team? This is a terrible time to bring his name up. Makes him look worse. Save your sympathies for someone who actually deserves it, boys.

Last edited:

Ahmer Baig

With that I agree.

Greck

Playing the B team if you want to call it that was not a bad idea at all, and given the situation, was the perfect thing to do. RR needed to see what he has and I think if anything yesterday showed him who he can and can't play going forward.
In my mind, VDB, Diallo, Greenwood and elanda all showed that they are capable subs.
Yeah people making it an issue to defend Ole are reaching. Ole needed his 11 strongest players to get outplayed and barely snatch a victory against worse sides. You can criticse RR for his squad decision but you can't use it to prop up Ole who also lost this fixture with a stronger team.

Only thing is I'd like him to realise although we want to play youth at United the expectation is still to win those games. SAF when he would would play youngsters would have some big guns on the bench as insurance. Was a bit annoying to see we didn't have a better plan b for fergie time.

Last edited:

Jackal981

That wasn't Ole's approach at all though, he was from the Fergie school of defending in public and criticising in private.

The fact that Rangnick is criticising what we did badly isn't the difference between the two - the difference is what the criticism is and the detail. With Ole it was more basic, with some football clichés for good measure, something like "we have to defend better", whereas Ralf seems to have a better idea as to what the specific mistakes we were making were.
I dont know for sure but from the reports of his last days, I dont think he even dare to criticize his players in private. He even asked Murtough to make a phone call to an unnamed player (Rashford ? Pogba ?)to ask him to got surgery which baffled the said player. He got no cajones for sure.
I mean fair enough if you didn't like the game, the result or the team selection but it doesn't look anything but positive if you want to put it beside Ole's management. One way to look at it is Rangnick was good enough to get a point without our entire starting eleven. Ole would barely rest one starter against bottom table teams, he was that talent reliant.

edit. Now I think about it didn't Ole lose to young boys with a full strength team? This is a terrible time to bring his name up. Makes him look worse. Save your sympathies for someone who actually deserves it, boys.
Cant win with these cats here. Play the subs and reserves in a dead rubber match to rest the first XI, complain that we didnt smash them. Play the first XI all the time, complain our player getting burnt out. Anyway I agree with your point with Ole being talent reliant. Because of his lack of tactical skills and coaching, he needed every player he fielded to be better than their counterpart. Even then we still get outplayed by smaller teams with him under the helm

Daengophile

This far into the season, with matches coming fast, I think Rangnick has probably done the best he can in giving the players a run-out and seeing what they can do and in some cases, what they can't do.

In 3 weeks time some might be put up in the mid-season auction for those who haven't managed to cut the mustard

Greck

This far into the season, with matches coming fast, I think Rangnick has probably done the best he can in giving the players a run-out and seeing what they can do and in some cases, what they can't do.

In 3 weeks time some might be put up in the mid-season auction for those who haven't managed to cut the mustard
Also RR is burdened with giving minutes to the players Ole was unable to give play time, players he foolishly gave assurance of playtime knowing very well how shite he was at rotating. Was also very kind of him to get us knocked out of the league cup, the competition that has traditionally been to play fringe players and blood young players

Mylock

I like Rangnick because of his honesty, and it's hard to disagree with his summary of the games so far. Hopefully, he can knock a tune out of these players as they have the talent; all they are missing is the application. We are in a far better place squad wise after ollie that when Jose left. Rangnich should be able to get a significant improvement in this squad.

steve.crowford

Rangnick staying behind to help drill the youth players in their debut/one off chance for the season in a dead rubber game.
Valverde, Setien & Koeman can't give his players time of day to even send them a review of upcoming opposition and would skip the day after training sessions with the unused subs at Barca.
That's why you see hope in what we're trying here and why Barcelona are falling apart even more.

Laurencio

Honestly I respect him for making the decision to play these guys and why he did it. He needs more training sessions with the first XI to get them playing his style of football and he wanted to see how these players would perform, and who has it in them to become starters. That's just good game and man management. It would have been a big moment for several of these players, respect to him for giving them a chance like this. He's spot on when it comes to Greenwood, all the technical ability in the world, but needs to become more athletic to take a step up.

Heck he even gave Tom Heaton his debut - which just instantly made the guy more likeable to me. We have a huge squad, but for most of the season it has felt very bare bones, an injury away from being a disaster really, great to see a manager try to get everyone involved and increase their match fitness.

The post match was also very good. Analytical, to the point and void of platitudes. He shows that he's willing to trust his players, but expect them to perform and will call them out if they don't. Surely that has to motivate some of the youngsters and fringe players who hasn't gotten a look in so far? Van de Beek, Diallo, Mengi, Shoretire, Engala - they all will probably look at this as positive signs for their future careers at the club.

Tony247

This is a complete false deduction. Nobody at least I read had "ott praise" on Rangnick after YB game. All posts after YB match are mostly nonchalant or like "not bad he gave kids a chance". I was in match day thread throughout, none was criticising or praising "over the top". And why anyone would? That was a dead rubber.

You are trying to be a critique just for the sake of it.

Juansar_07

Honestly I respect him for making the decision to play these guys and why he did it. He needs more training sessions with the first XI to get them playing his style of football and he wanted to see how these players would perform, and who has it in them to become starters. That's just good game and man management. It would have been a big moment for several of these players, respect to him for giving them a chance like this. He's spot on when it comes to Greenwood, all the technical ability in the world, but needs to become more athletic to take a step up.

Heck he even gave Tom Heaton his debut - which just instantly made the guy more likeable to me. We have a huge squad, but for most of the season it has felt very bare bones, an injury away from being a disaster really, great to see a manager try to get everyone involved and increase their match fitness.

The post match was also very good. Analytical, to the point and void of platitudes. He shows that he's willing to trust his players, but expect them to perform and will call them out if they don't. Surely that has to motivate some of the youngsters and fringe players who hasn't gotten a look in so far? Van de Beek, Diallo, Mengi, Shoretire, Engala - they all will probably look at this as positive signs for their future careers at the club.
Well put. This was perhaps the only game where he could have tested out the squad options and even the youngsters who otherwise couldn't have fathomed them getting champions league minutes let alone a cup game. How massive a morale booster this can turn out for them. Heck many here didn't even recognize few of these players. This has certainly given them the identity and hopefully it kindles ardour in these players to improve further as it probably made them believe they stand a chance to feature in more games (even if some of them don't make it here). Him substituting Elanga in the 60th minute in the very first game is an indication of his willingness to incorporate youngsters into the main squad which many here have been crying out for ages.

Furthermore, he had to analyse the squad players and how they may/may not fit in to his game plan. This was his only chance this season to assess. Incorporating the entire squad and giving game time to these fringe players is vital especially in times when options become scarce due to unforeseen crisis. Also, one cannot expect a player to perform right off the bat in the first game after warming the bench for months. This is what this man probably comprehends well. Even Heaton must be animated right now.

All this coupled with critical rest to the main players for the upcoming congested fixtures is what made the game all the more satisfying.

Judas

Open to offers
Not only did we finally have a dead rubber to play with again, absolute cretins moaning about the way it was used at this time of year :lol: :houllier: SadCafe strikes again, no matter what is going on, some on here will always find a reason to cry and moan. I've already forgotten the other night, it was meaningless, yet you'll have some sad acts who have banked that performance and will bring it up in the future as a stick to beat the manager with.

RUCK4444

Not only did we finally have a dead rubber to play with again, absolute cretins moaning about the way it was used at this time of year :lol: :houllier: SadCafe strikes again, no matter what is going on, some on here will always find a reason to cry and moan. I've already forgotten the other night, it was meaningless, yet you'll have some sad acts who have banked that performance and will bring it up in the future as a stick to beat the manager with.
It’s what they do, they enjoy discrediting managers and criticising the club more than supporting it.

pascell

Almost got it

Status
Not open for further replies.