Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Exactly 100 hours to go until this nightmare is over. Go and expose Austria next sunshine.

mctrials23

I get what you are saying but I don't hear any spurs supporters complaining about being bored at present.
The vast majority of football fans have a very simple view of their team. Winning = good. Losing = bad. We had 3 years of Ole winning games we deserved to lose and playing shit football and anyone that dared suggest we were lucky or were outplayed were quickly shouted down and told to stop being so miserable.

As soon as next season comes around and Spurs aren't competing with Liverpool and City or they have a bad run people will soon start to complain about boring football.

Elcabron

The vast majority of football fans have a very simple view of their team. Winning = good. Losing = bad. We had 3 years of Ole winning games we deserved to lose and playing shit football and anyone that dared suggest we were lucky or were outplayed were quickly shouted down and told to stop being so miserable.

As soon as next season comes around and Spurs aren't competing with Liverpool and City or they have a bad run people will soon start to complain about boring football.
That's true and I don't see spurs competing with those two, however if Spurs start spending 75m on a defender, 50 on a keeper and similar on midfield players such as Liverpool have done then I would very much expect Conte to have spurs competing against pool and City, they won't however so he won't.

I think the difference between Conte and Ole is that Conte would have had us competing for the league with same resources given to Ole.

Anyway, it's all in the past, ETH it is and onwards and upwards. If ETH has us playing like City in a year or so then for sure no one will be talking about Conte, here's hoping.

city-puma

How can he be an easy 7 when everything he's done the last 3 years has to be ripped up and started again? He's put together the most spineless, gutless squad I've seen in 40+ years as a supporter and yet he gets an "easy" 7 while the man who took over the same squad without a penny spent gets a 1 for the teams performances? Come on. A little bit of perspective is needed here.
I will give ole even higher, 7.5 or 8, considering Murtough and him and others created a promising youth pipeline.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

Pretending that Ole played anything like Conte is just disingenuous boll*** though! While Ole never had us fully convincing we were miles better than under Mourinho to watch, which was incredibly painful.

Stacks

Tuchel is an top tier manager, could bring in his people because he was without a job and Chelsea (as far as I know) have never had a mentality issue in their squad. Their issues were tactical and coaching. Tuchel came in, tweaked some stuff and their team was up and running again. Oh and he wasn't an interim.

RR is not a top tier manager, had to hastily assemble some coaches and was parachuted into an unfit, unmotivated and toxic dressing room. I think even the likes of Conte would have struggled. I think Conte would have got us top 4 but we would then have been kicking the can down the road for another 2-3 years until he got sick of it and left.
I agree with all of this
I don't think Ralf has managed to achieve success in any part of his job with us. However, he was hamstrung.
Interim manager only, Limited in what coaches are willing to move with him under that arrangement. No Recruitment, toxic players remaining. this all has an effect on what he can achieve with a group of players. not saying he didn't make mistakes!, personally thought his game management was poor..
Tuchel came in on a full term contract, had a ready made squad, i don't think the comparison is fair
again kinda have to agree
I had mistaken Benitez. I meant Guus Hiddink in 2015-16 when Chelsea finished 10th.

Again, the interims that I have mentioned also had a similar performance so your statement singling out RR is not fair.
getting 10th was an improvement from relegation where Jose had them. RR failed in EVERY competition. Others have won things, had a new manager bounce or purple patch. He had no impact whatsoever. May as well had Carrick

mctrials23

Pretending that Ole played anything like Conte is just disingenuous boll*** though! While Ole never had us fully convincing we were miles better than under Mourinho to watch, which was incredibly painful.
We were good at times under Ole but generally awful. Depends on what you like to watch really. We rarely played good football for a long period of time in a game and would have little patches of nice play and then long spells of dross. Best football under Ole was the first 3-4 months or so....

always_hoping

Odd thread title. I don't think I'd be rated any manager on the task given to him whereby these flaky ego driven players deciding not to pick up the tools for him.

mu4c_20le

First season Mourinho was decent, second and third was absolutely abysmal as he basically just set us up to defend and hoof it up to Fellaini.

devips

Choosing Rangnick as interim is I consider a prime blunder by Murtough. Consultant is okay, but picking a man who has been out of touch with coaching for a long time was literarally saying goodbye to top 4 from the beginning.

Even Big Sam would have been a better interim choice.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I will give ole even higher, 7.5 or 8, considering Murtough and him and others created a promising youth pipeline.
Yeah of course. Everything good about the club is down to Ole and everything bad is down to others. Gotcha. Exactly what did Ole do to create this promising youth pipeline you're talking of?

It's really laughable when suggestions that RR has had an impact, however small are shot down with disdain but with Ole people are prepared to cling on to the death that he's had a positive impact however far out there the claim seems to be. It's frankly embarrassing.

It's not even that hard to understand. During Oles tender absolutely nothing changed other than bringing in obscure people from obscure corners of the world into position of power. During RRs tenure that blueprint has been well and truly ripped to shreds and for the first time in a decade were actually acting like a club that knows what it's doing. I have no clue what impact Ralf has had but since Ole had zero impact it's impossible that Ralf has had less. Its a simple equation.

One one hand we had Ole praising everything about the club and how happy he was with the squad no matter how bad things got because he was a lottery winner in getting the job in the first place and wouldn't dare critize the club and on the other we have Ralf telling it how it really is. Who do you think is going to have more impact in getting us back to the top? I'll give you a clue. It ain't feckin Ole.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
That's not what I said at all and it's genuinely strange you've even come to that conclusion. My point was that all Interim managers walk into bad situations, of course they do or the last manager wouldn't have been sacked otherwise. But plenty of them (not all) have managed to turn teams around and achieve some level success. Look at Chelsea Hiddink, Benitez and Di Matteo all managed to even win trophies as Interim managers.

And the truth is Ralf wouldn't have even needed to do that this season for his tenure to have ben considered a success. Picking up dressing room morale, getting the team back on track performance and results wise and coming 4th would have been seen as a job well done. But morale is in the shitter, performances and results have gotten worse as the season has went on and at this stage we'd do well to even qualify for the EL.

Not all Ralf's fault of course, probably not even majorly his fault but on the same token you can't absolve him of all responsibility like he's the first Interim manager that's ever taken over a team in a bad spot.

What about Ronaldo, Shaw, Sancho, Varane, Fernandes, DeGea, Rashford, Cavani etc?

So just to clarify do you actually think we have no quality players?
Doesn't take much for some of you Ralf fans to get nasty in here does it? :lol:

Er, no. But you were basically doing the opposite if you hadn't realized.

I'm not actually bashing Ralf. I'm arguing against this idea that Ralf couldn't possibly have had any measure of success during his time as United manager because he took over a team in a bad spot.
Fair enough, apologies for being nasty.

For every interim appointment where you claim that they turned things around or won a trophy, I can name 5 failed ones where they finished with poor league position and no trophies. Trophies anyways involve a lot of luck when you're not doing well in the league anyways. Everyone basically agrees that Chelsea fluked their way to the CL and Benitez won the EL and finished 3rd with Chelsea.

This is what I am trying to say. The general trend of interim managers tends to not be as successful and I also listed other issues at the club that are not so prevalent for other clubs. These players are getting away with it all the time and you simply cant just label it as just another 'bad situation' where an interim walks in. Things are far worse.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I'd still rather have the torrid time we've had under Rangnick than have gotten Conte and nicked 4th place.

ayushreddevil9

I get what you are saying but I don't hear any spurs supporters complaining about being bored at present.
Maybe they will once the results stop coming. This type of football is all about results which in Pep Klopp era doesn't seem feasible.

UTD_Since_1978

I'd still rather have the torrid time we've had under Rangnick than have gotten Conte and nicked 4th place.
Only if it comes good under ETH, I guess time will tell, but as for the here & now, you've got to say that yer man Conte has done miles better than RR, right?

TrustInJanuzaj

We were good at times under Ole but generally awful. Depends on what you like to watch really. We rarely played good football for a long period of time in a game and would have little patches of nice play and then long spells of dross. Best football under Ole was the first 3-4 months or so....
Was still miles better than Mourinho though and the same for Conte. At least Ole actually wanted to do something other than park the fecking bus.

TrustInJanuzaj

First season Mourinho was decent, second and third was absolutely abysmal as he basically just set us up to defend and hoof it up to Fellaini.
Yeh I’d somewhat agree with that. First season was easily the best we looked under Mourinho but a lot of that was down to how much I enjoyed watching ibra play. That second season with Lukaku though was some of the worst football I’ve ever seen and at the same time had to put up with the cult of Mourinho. On the whole ole played much better football. That spell after lockdown I had mates texting me saying “Utd are the most entertaining team in Europe” with martial, Rashford and Greenwood all fit and firing.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Quite surprised with the sheer negativity surrouding Ralf on this forum. Sure, he didn't get us top 4 and he didn't really steady the ship but I was more excited at what he'll do for us as an upstairs-man than as manager.

He's said all the right things as to what we need to do and he's made it clear for those who shouldn't be here next season that they are not above the club.

I genuinely hope we use him effectively as a consultant.

Elcabron

Maybe they will once the results stop coming. This type of football is all about results which in Pep Klopp era doesn't seem feasible.
In Contes defence, have the results ever stopped coming? I honestly don't think they have. The Reason why he doesn't stay long at a club never seems to be due to a poor run of results.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
If the only way Ten Hag can succeed here is by buying an almost entirely new squad (which is highly impractical if not impossible) then we may have the wrong man for the job. Top managers can turn squads with poor cultures around so let's hope Erik is capable of that over the next 1-2 years because I can almost guarantee that 60-70% of the current squad will still be here in 2 years. If Erik hasn't turned it around by then his job will be in trouble.
Yes. I'm pretty sure that's exactly what Ten Hag will be able to do. Not to the point of winning everything but to the point where a good team is on display.

This is also why I kept insisting on @glazed to specifically name names, to actually spell out all those players whom "Ralf has exposed" and who are supposed to be obvious, irredeemably bad apples responsible for the mess. Because the whole theory, this insane fan fiction construct of how Rangnick was hired to judge, sniff out and make a verdict about the players one by one, instead of doing a good managerial job, would collapse once a good part of them turns out to do an acceptable, motivated, or even good, job under the next manager.

Which they will.

stevoc

Fair enough, apologies for being nasty.

For every interim appointment where you claim that they turned things around or won a trophy, I can name 5 failed ones where they finished with poor league position and no trophies. Trophies anyways involve a lot of luck when you're not doing well in the league anyways. Everyone basically agrees that Chelsea fluked their way to the CL and Benitez won the EL and finished 3rd with Chelsea.

This is what I am trying to say. The general trend of interim managers tends to not be as successful and I also listed other issues at the club that are not so prevalent for other clubs. These players are getting away with it all the time and you simply cant just label it as just another 'bad situation' where an interim walks in. Things are far worse.
No worries mate.

Look I know Interim appointments can be hit and miss. And I certainly don't solely blame Rangnick for our season going down the shitter so spectacularly. But as I said I don't think he can be completely absolved of blame either.

devips

Yes. I'm pretty sure that's exactly what Ten Hag will be able to do. Not to the point of winning everything but to the point where a good team is on display.

This is also why I kept insisting on @glazed to specifically name names, to actually spell out all those players whom "Ralf has exposed" and who are supposed to be obvious, irredeemably bad apples responsible for the mess. Because the whole theory, this insane fan fiction construct of how Rangnick was hired to judge, sniff out and make a verdict about the players one by one, instead of doing a good managerial job, would collapse once a good part of them turns out to do an acceptable, motivated, or even good, job under the next manager.

Which they will.
Absolutely.

stevoc

Which they will.
Yep pretty much mate, I personally think that narrative cropped up as a sort of coping mechanism when the season went tits up under Ralf. It was clear some folk had become very invested in the Rangnick revolution and were convinced a proper coach like Ralf would roll in and show us just how much Solskjaer was holding this squad back. I hoped this would be the case myself.

But things aren't so black and white I don't think, Solskjaer isn't a bad a coach as some think though he clearly wasn't good enough to take United to the next level. Ralf isn't as good a coach as some thought either but probably not as bad as this seasons made him look and the same for the majority of the players. Things were bad under Ole and he had to go but in hindsight Ralf and this squad was obviously a very bad fit on pretty much every level.

ayushreddevil9

In Contes defence, have the results ever stopped coming? I honestly don't think they have. The Reason why he doesn't stay long at a club never seems to be due to a poor run of results.
Chelsea

TrustInJanuzaj

Quite surprised with the sheer negativity surrouding Ralf on this forum. Sure, he didn't get us top 4 and he didn't really steady the ship but I was more excited at what he'll do for us as an upstairs-man than as manager.

He's said all the right things as to what we need to do and he's made it clear for those who shouldn't be here next season that they are not above the club.

I genuinely hope we use him effectively as a consultant.
You can be excited for his upstairs role without pretending is downstairs role hasn’t been a massive disaster.

TrustInJanuzaj

Yep pretty much mate, I personally think that narrative cropped up as a sort of coping mechanism when the season went tits up under Ralf. It was clear some folk had become very invested in the Rangnick revolution and were convinced a proper coach like Ralf would roll in and show us just how much Solskjaer was holding this squad back. I hoped this would be the case myself.

But things aren't so black and white I don't think, Solskjaer isn't a bad a coach as some think though he clearly wasn't good enough to take United to the next level. Ralf isn't as good a coach as some thought either but probably not as bad as this seasons made him look and the same for the majority of the players. Things were bad under Ole and he had to go but in hindsight Ralf and this squad was obviously a very bad fit on pretty much every level.
Bang on. Nice to see someone can still judge it right.

UnsungHero

Monitoring the preparation of the Vidal bid
  • No pre-season
  • No backing in the market
  • Handed a broken squad full of turd personalities
  • Players not following any of his instructions after first 45 mins of his tenure
  • Players checking out mid season
  • A coaching staff put together for him because of lack of quality available
Even after these points if you completely put the blame on RR, then I have not a lot to argue about. He has openly called out the bullshit going on inside the club which some claim as 'self-preservation' as if this was not blatantly clear for a while. The club's structure is finally getting re-shaped, the scouting department has been put to shame with the useless head finally resigning. He also pushed the board to get ETH.

Pretty sure if it wasn't for him, we would have that bottler Poch at the club and would be having similar discussions 3 years down the line. We might still do, but atleast things are looking a little bit promising.
And the Greenwood situation. Not exactly your everyday occurrence.

I am genuinely stunned some fans on here heap the blame onto him so freely. They'll be doing the same to Ten Hag before Xmas. Delusional.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
No worries mate.

Look I know Interim appointments can be hit and miss. And I certainly don't solely blame Rangnick for our season going down the shitter so spectacularly. But as I said I don't think he can be completely absolved of blame either.
What portion of the blame would you put at each person's door? For me

20% Ole and staff for not knowing how to manage at the very top level (not their fault)
30% Players for being gutless, spineless cnuts.
30% Club for letting it get to this stage in the first place.
20% Ralf and staff for not being able to lift the team when it most needed it.

Plenty of blame to share around I'd say.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
This whole myth around how Ralf Rangnick is secretly compiling a dossier that will expose all the ills of United, and is working behind the scenes to remove bad apples from the squad sounds a lot like the Q-Anon conspiracy in the US. My feeling is that this will damage United a lot longer, after it has been exposed as exaggerated. Hardcore Ralfites will simply morph their ideology to suit the situation and continue to cause divides within the fan base.

For example QAnnoners have shifted their belief from:
  • Before:
    • There is a secret cabal of 'Patriots' from the Trump administration fighting a secret war against the Satanic Pedophile Globalist Democrats.
  • After realizing that they were fooled:
    • The Satanic Pedophile Globalist Democrats 'invented' Q in order to lull the 'Patriotic' Republican voters into complacency and inaction, so that the Democrats could steal the election from President Trump.
United fans should forget Ralf as a bad dream and look forward to having a coach who seems to be on his way up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QAnon

Reactions: Sultan

Greck

I have a feeling he came here, hoping to make a play for Murtough’s job or replace him in the pecking order.
I want to say it wasn't his fault because of the lack of options for interim then I remember the club's resistance to sack ole when it made sense put us in that situation. As deep as late october when the writing was on the wall he was still waving calls for Ole's sack.
The hashtag ‘#OleOut’ is a common trend on Twitter, and has prompted a stern response from Murtough.

Speaking at a recent fans’ forum, Murtough said (via ESPN): “We have a long-term strategy and confidence in the direction that we’re going.

“The Premier League is one of the most competitive leagues in the world but we are 100% up for that challenge. We can’t get carried away and deviate from our plan. Ole and the staff are very focused on that.

“We won’t get distracted by what’s said on social media, which can sometimes create fervour and hysteria. It’s part of the modern game, but we stay focused.

“We believe that we’ve got the talent and the character within the squad to succeed.”
Whomever took the job was going to be fecked by the awkward timing. One can say it's just public backing but Murtough and the club renewing the contracts of Ole's staff within that frame put it to bed they were fully delusional and believed the nonsense. RR's appointment had to be rushed without fully fleshing out the details of his consultancy gig and we might even now lose him in that role. Early days but it doesn't look that much more professional than the Woodward shiteshow. Don't even know who was behind that Bruno contract and who asked ETH to consider retaining Phelan. RR underwhelmed as an interim but the club also scores a solid 0/10 for the handling of the whole thing.

Last edited:

El Jefe

Its funny how all the oppo fans on here can see right through Ralf's bullshit and correctly call him out as being a failure here. The idea that he's come in and exposed the club so should be seen as a success has been laughed at by every oppo fan in here.

The hatred for the players has completed blinded a section of fans here. I mean its laughably delusional that people are putting stock in his press conferences over results and performances on the pitch. I'd make a great interim manager too if that's all I needed.

Robbie Boy

Ole was absolutely terrible, so was Ralf. Let's hope ETH takes us out of a near decade of utter shite.

BlueHaze

Conte is not perfect but a fact is he's a quality manager. The discipline he brings to his teams is very admirable. They could have won at Anfield it they buried their chances.

city-puma

Which they will.
They just love to subscribe to those illusions and probably find a peace in mind by venting all angers and frustrations to the so-called whole team which basically includes every single player. Ralf is the key to keep themselves committed no matter what.

sugar_kane

He has the worst win rate of any United manager for 50 fecking years. 39% is disgraceful, even Moyes had significantly higher (53%)

In 28 games we’ve scored 37 and conceded 36 - that is pure shite.

If the players weren’t listening to him that’s his fault as much as theirs. It’s his job to motivate them and to get them to respect his instructions.

Or maybe just maybe he and his coaches are shite at coaching at this level.

People praise him because he managed to point out that the squad needs rebuilding - no shit, what a genius!!

stevoc

What portion of the blame would you put at each person's door? For me

20% Ole and staff for not knowing how to manage at the very top level (not their fault)
30% Players for being gutless, spineless cnuts.
30% Club for letting it get to this stage in the first place.
20% Ralf and staff for not being able to lift the team when it most needed it.

Plenty of blame to share around I'd say.
If assessing the season as a whole and not just the Ralf era, then your figures seem fair enough nothing I'd wildly disagree with anyway. If I was pushed though I'd probably say the club eg Woodward and co are probably culpable for at least 40% of what's went down this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.