Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Will miss his press conferences though. Snake oil salesman or not he kept the media in their place for duration of the disastrous campaign.

united for life

How? He gave the media the most material than any other manager I can remember.
was so easy for the media. Didn’t even need to try to get things out of him. Some are happy he was “exposing” everyone, I think he was just helping make us a joke.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Is he actually a really good con man? I'm talking grifter style. Snake oil salesman. He's just got a national team gig for undertaking the footballing equivalent of that Jesus painting restoration by that Spanish granny.

Amarsdd

Was that him in the pressers? I was under the impression that the players and people around them leaked to the media.
No clue what your point is here. How did "he keep the media in their place for duration of the disastrous campaign"?

stevoc

was so easy for the media. Didn’t even need to try to get things out of him. Some are happy he was “exposing” everyone, I think he was just helping make us a joke.
Was in stark contrast to the Ten Hag presser today, the journalists seemed to be getting a bit frustrated trying to get anything out of him after enjoying 6 months of endless soundbites and headlines.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Was that him in the pressers? I was under the impression that the players and people around them leaked to the media.
It wasn't just players and others, he hired Journalist as advisor, so easy to guess he fed lot of info too.

DevilRed

Someone please lock this thread in case his shittery infects the new regime.

Get him as far away from the club as possible. Cut all ties. Draw a line under it.

PaulRich

He was never here to manage us - he was the advance scouting party sent in to start the clear out.

haru krentz

Very different scenario in my opinion. We weren't anywhere near as bad under Mourinho as we we're at Ole's worst in my opinion.
Now this is what we called "recency biased". we were 12 points off top 4 when Mourinho left, the quality of players were substandard, the squad was divided into pro and anti mourinho's camps the difference is that Ole managed to get players to rally behind him until they ran out of steam, something rangnick could not. meanwhile we were only 2 points off top 4, unbeaten in 3 matches (including against arsenal, chelsea, villareal) and qualified to CL knock out stages when rangnick arrived. i dont dislike rangnick but the cult is the strangest thing ive ever seen in football.

Isn't that the whole point...? Why he was brought in as a short term manager... to identify and draw the poison and that is exactly what he's done.

ETH can now start to operate on a clean slate!
i dont understand why some people keep parroting this baseless rumor? seriously if what you said is true, we will be seeing more involvement of rangnick under ETH, why is that not the case here isnt? whats RR role for next season even he doesnt know.

Its not top clubs usually, it is usually those facing relegation.
It is, for those facing relegation
WE WERE 2 POINTS OFF TOP 4 WHEN RANGNICK TOOK OVER! :lol:

Last edited:

Thelongsleevesofblomqvist

This narrative around the purpose of Rangnicks role to clear-out, leave a scout report or expose the players is an illusion - eventough thats how it turned out.

1. The board didnt want to sack Ole and only did it some games before they had to.
2. They didnt have a clear B-plan, if any B-plan, and after a short process found one in Rangnick. It was a also a good PR choice considering the mood among the fans at the time.
3. Rangnick of course took they job, but demanded a longer role which was constructed to make the deal come through. There was no real plan for the purpose of his consultancy role.
4. The board always knew it was a temporary role and RR was never able to stamp any authority.
5. Rangnick needed to protect his own brand and use the experience och exposure to keep his status as a club builder - wich he also plans do to through his own concultancy business. The Austria job became a nice side-step.
6. That said, he was very good in speech at keeping to his standards and principles, which did expose the dysfunctional character of the club and broke up the fake good mood fighting United spirit of OGS.
7. As a coach, he was an obvious failure. He didnt have an impact or were not able to put any idedntity on the team and missed out on the single target (the CL).
9. I still like him a lot. Remember that he was also once out from managment for a burn-out. Sometimes, in a pause or forgetting a name, you could see traces of that. He wasnt energized or forceful enough to make a quick impact on the team. Like Ole or Klopp. But he was composed and was the first manager since SAF that started to formulate a direction towards what it nowadays takes to win the PL-title.
10. At the same time Zlatan "Ibrahimovic ("Ragnick who?") and Pioli celebrates the Serie A Title after a few years earlier winning a power battle against Rangnick on how to take the club forward. Football is complex.

Last edited:

Maticmaker

The board has never asked me to prepare a dossier, not for the board and not for Erik.''.
That is true, any dossier that did exist would have been for Ralf himself, so that in his consultants role next season he would have a reference point.. so he was not lying... but, I would bet a copy (or parts there of) finds its way to ETH nevertheless.

Maticmaker

He was never here to manage us - he was the advance scouting party sent in to start the clear out.
Spot on!

Hopefully Ralf now has hold of the 'pieces of string' that lead high up into club management so he can do a trace to identify the gaps, mistakes, slip ups and sheer nonsense decisions that have shaped the club that let Ferguson go without a proper succession plan.

If he ever gets that far!!

stevoc

That is true, any dossier that did exist would have been for Ralf himself, so that in his consultants role next season he would have a reference point.. so he was not lying... but, I would bet a copy (or parts there of) finds its way to ETH nevertheless.
:)

Not sure how he could have been more emphatic in saying there is no dossier mate. If he's not making a dossier to hand to someone else I doubt he needs a dossier for himself because his consultancy role will reportedly have little to do with Ten Hag or the first team directly and focus more on recruitment and scouting. So why would he need a dossier pertaining to United's first team players?

During an interview with Sky Sports, the interim manager said: "It is completely false and completely untrue. The board has never asked me to prepare a dossier, not for the board and not for Erik [ ten Hag ].

"This is completely untrue and I also never said anything to anybody criticising the attitude of the players as being unprofessional or selfish or whatever. This is not true and I will always protect my players.

It's obviously a myth.

SparkedIntoLife

These were interesting reads - https://backpagefootball.com/ralf-r...komotiv-moscows-gain-and-uniteds-loss/130108/ and https://backpagefootball.com/ralf-rangnick-bulls-ahead-at-unhappy-united/130284/

Moore also linked to a Russian site (translate through Google) which went into more detail.

It certainly didn’t paint Ralf in a good light but it does smack of agenda. There’s an implication of him being crooked and a scam artist. I think it’s hard to judge Ralf in only one year at Lokomotiv. There’s doping insinuations which seems to lack any real foundation (and both Pep and Klopp have been accused of this too).The articles also imply a jobs for the boys type situation as if it’s totally new in football to hire staff you know from elsewhere. The implication was that these people weren’t qualified, which may be true but Ralf is known to develop staff and prefers smart people without ‘full hard drives in their heads’. Also, the people he works with are from countries around the world and not his pub mates or something.

Admittedly, there is a Del Boy element to Rangnick but a lot of the criticism seems to ignore the fact he’s built the infrastructure of at least 3 clubs to impressive levels. He clearly is flawed and needs time and control to thrive. However, he’s also proven to be way more than a snake oil salesman.

stevoc

Why indeed? :rolleyes:

In the age of information gathering is power, why would anyone bother?
It's not a difficult question though mate. Why would he be compiling dossiers on players he's likely never going to work with again nor even be asked about?

It's been pretty much confirmed Ralf won't have any role that relates to ETH or the first team squad directly.

Ten Hag has said he'll make his own assessments on the squad and that Ralf's role will be with the club not him, when he was asked about getting advice from Rangnick in his press conference.

Ralf has himself said there is no dossier. Unless he winked at the camera when he said this. ''It is completely false and completely untrue.''

I suppose it's possible Ralf just makes extensive dossiers related to football for fun and keeps them in an alphabetical colour coded collection somewhere for future reading. Maybe dusts one off to read when he's having a shit or something.

Thelongsleevesofblomqvist

Now this is what we called "recency biased". we were 12 points off top 4 when Mourinho left, the quality of players were substandard, the squad was divided into pro and anti mourinho's camps the difference is that Ole managed to get players to rally behind him until they ran out of steam, something rangnick could not. meanwhile we were only 2 points off top 4, unbeaten in 3 matches (including against arsenal, chelsea, villareal) and qualified to CL knock out stages when rangnick arrived. i dont dislike rangnick but the cult is the strangest thing ive ever seen in football.

i dont understand why some people keep parroting this baseless rumor? seriously if what you said is true, we will be seeing more involvement of rangnick under ETH, why is that not the case here isnt? whats RR role for next season even he doesnt know.

WE WERE 2 POINTS OFF TOP 4 WHEN RANGNICK TOOK OVER! :lol:
Wasnt it 7 points to Liverpool at forth?

Corridor of Uncertainty

You’d think they’d have met this week face to face.
Nah, most of them were already at the departures lounge whilst Gary Cotterill was getting man handled around the back of Selhurst Park.

Edit: Nevermind, just realised you were talking about Ralf not the players. That is very strange. Ralf couldn't wait to feck off by the looks of it.

DSG

No kidding. The elite club consists of Ralf cult followers (also Ole haters at the same time) no matter what.
But, I respect you have own opinions.
I mean, the earth is flat, clearly. COVID was a hoax to implant tracking systems into humans cause we’ve never had vaccines before. Climate change doesn’t exist. And the moon landing was a Hollywood hoax.

People will believe what they want to believe, despite mountains of evidence to the contrary, and most people cannot admit they were wrong. Stating you have an “opinion that Ralf is a good manager” doesn’t change the results: worst United manager since Frank O’Farrell, 50 years.

IhabX7

The comment section shows you how naive football supporters can be. Rangnick played a number on people, absolutely incredible. We can all learn from this fraud on how easy it is to control public opinion.

I bet Ten Hag can see right through his bullshit, just like many of us here can.

stevoc

Does Ten Hag need or even want to meet him though?

He seemed adamant in his press conference yesterday that he'll make his own assessments of the squad and that Ralf's role will only be through the club.

DevilRed

Does Ten Hag need or even want to meet him though?

He seemed adamant in his press conference yesterday that he'll make his own assessments of the squad and that Ralf's role will only be through the club.
Thank feck for that.

Ten Hag already off to a great start then. Will make his own judgements on the team. Maybe just take a phone call from wreck it ralf as a courtesy.

But seriously, what credibility does that failure have? zero.

RedPed

Whatabouter.

Why would ten Hag even want to speak to Wreck-It? He saw for himself at Selhurst Park what the guy is all about. You would have thought that is one of the first meetings that would have been arranged. We saw pictures of him going around and meeting everybody. Strange that they have not even hooked up yet.

This consultancy role will have fizzled out by the time the season starts I'm sure.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The comment section shows you how naive football supporters can be. Rangnick played a number on people, absolutely incredible. We can all learn from this fraud on how easy it is to control public opinion.

I bet Ten Hag can see right through his bullshit, just like many of us here can.
Yeah the power he has over some fans is incredible. Even now they still believe he has had a major influence behind the scenes and has 'exposed' all the things wrong at United even though it was blatantly obvious to every man and his dog. The name 'fraud' is doing genuine frauds a disservice.

stevoc

Ten Hag already off to a great start then. Will make his own judgements on the team.
I mean it was obvious that the next manager was always going to just trust his own judgement if he had any confidence in his own ability to assess players. This idea that Rangnick was here to assess the squad and pass on his findings to Ten Hag was always just a load of guff that was bandied about as part of the narrative that built up around Ralf. I think some clearly overestimated what Ralf was actually at United to do.

On Monday, Ten Hag revealed: “I analyse by myself. I observe and I speak with a lot of people. But I will draw my own line." When probed on Rangnick's new role at United, the 52-year-old added: “That is for the club”.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/ten-hag-man-utd-rangnick-27045378

NoLogo

There is no two ways about it, he didn't do well. Of course, he had an impossible job at his hands, an unruly mob of players, and just being an interim manager left him dead in the water from the moment he did anything his players didn't really like.

Status
Not open for further replies.