Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I've read he's not expected to get his work visa until midweek so Arsenal is looking unlikely anyway. I'll be surprised if the announcement is not made tomorrow.

edcunited1878

To be fair, this isn't unreasonable but it feels longer because this should have been done over the international break and now we have a game every 3/4 days.

Ugh, I just want a clean slate already.
Most agree it should have been done during the break. But nobody really knows what happened and when Murtough got the green light, the decision was made for Rangnick.

The slate will be clean soon enough, but results still need to the most important. Carrick has done well the past week in rotating the squad.

Rangnick has already gotten enough Intel on players to understand the strengths and weaknesses. He will hit the ground running in terms of knowledge and what tactically fits best for the current squad.

The more technical you are, the better off you will be. Hopefully Rangnick can strike that balance of technical players and those who are disciplined.

edcunited1878

I've read he's not expected to get his work visa until midweek so Arsenal is looking unlikely anyway. I'll be surprised if the announcement is not made tomorrow.
I'm sure he can still provide input and discuss approaches with current coaches on the ground without physically being in the country.

Another interesting turn to potentially come if he gets his visa before Thursday and then shows up to the match watching from the director's box. Or just shows up first thing on Friday and house is cleaned. Transition of management and coaches will be just as interesting.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
That would be absolutely ludicrous. Surely there are fast track exceptions.

InfiniteBoredom

Yeah like so many have already said this went on two weeks longer than it should. So neglecting to not spend international break getting him in place.
If we are talking about just this season, it went on for 6 weeks longer than it should, at best. The Everton game is when alarm bells should have been ringing and change made over the following int. break. We could’ve been still within touching distance of 1st instead of 5 pts off 4th.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Is it just me or are we always getting stung with visa issues?
I feel like this comes up a lot, but is mostly ironed out quickly. I can't believe that such an important appointment in such a high stakes industry is held up so long.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I wonder if anything has changed with regard to working visas since then…
I thought the visa requirement was basically salary, so that won't be a problem.

Obviously, the HO are not the most efficient organisation ever but you'd think there would be a few United fans in there to make sure this gets done promptly.

Or does Priti Patel support Chelski and thinks Rangnick is French?

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
This.

Whoever the feck on our board voted and decided to stick with Solskjaer over the international break and let him go on a 9 day holiday needs their head examined. It was painfully obvious what needed to happen after City.

Now we’ve got games thick and fast with no international breaks to carry out a smooth transition. Great going United. You finally made a good decision but boy did you arrive at it late and pick the worst possible time to carry it out.
Its incredible isn't. Mind boggling. He actually went on a holiday :lol: and then that interview. Jesus christ.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Compared to recent United, eg against Liverpool, City, Watford etc it was decent. I'd say solid. We set up for a 0-0.

Compared to where we should be and the opposition, pretty rubbish. Only one team interested in playing football with some quality and finesse. We went for the underdog tactics again.

I said this many times under Ole, but you will know we are back when we go out against a top level team and we're there ones dominating periods, probing their defence with good, intelligent possession, creating openings through smart movement and intelligent passing.

We saw none of that today. I'm not saying this as a stick to beat Carrick with, but that's what this performance was today. We've had loads of these over the last 3 years. Let's call a spade a spade.
When was the last time we dominated games against big teams away?

AFC NimbleThumb

LvG had a go.

SAF teams weren’t sent out to counter in the same way as an OgS team either, it was more about springing attacks as opposed to soak up pressure & capitalise on a punt that we’ve seen lately. SAF teams certainly started off cautiously but when they did go behind/things weren’t going well there were attempts to take the initiative. Barca put us on a carousel a few times & particularly in the latter days, when the talent wasn’t quite as good were we drew teams onto us more but we didn’t generally go into games beaten domestically.

Sviken

Even going back to Fergie, we would set up for the counter. I can't remember any.
We didn't set up for the counter. We played more cautiously, mainly through SAF rotating some workhorses in big games, but we never sat back in our own half hoping for a chance or two to score.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I agree. The thing is; do we really need miracles? We've been phenomenally hopeless as a club for years now. We don't need the footballing equivalent of @Cheimoon - able to calculate pi to thirteen million digits out loud whilst simultaneously perfectly making a hundred soufflés on a tin can stove (or something). All we really need is someone who can help develop a plan for the club going forward.

I've seen so many people saying "if he's so good then why was he in Russia" or "he's not a Pep style tactical mastermind and his former coaches have surpassed him". So what?! Are we forgetting that he's not replacing Pep, Tuchel or Klopp? He's replacing a manager who wasn't working, just like the previous three before him, under a senior management structure that had next to no organisation whatsoever.

We don't need "incredible" to be successful, we only need "good" and as far as I can see Rangnick is at least that both as a coach and director.
I have such a weird reputation on here! :nervous: :lol:

Anyway, totally agree. There is no evidence that Rangnick is a top coach, but those anyway weren't available. But Rangnick is a top DoF. So I see this is a great interim solution: he can start instilling a more modern style in the team, so the transition will be easier when the new permanent coach gets started in the summer; and in the meantime, Rangnick can help transition the entire football structure to a more modern setup. Given where United were just a month ago, this seems to me like a huge step forward - no matter what Rangnick actually wins this year.

rotherham_red

I was thinking on the RR situation a little this morning and I think what might be the perfect way to go about this transition is to have Rangnick be the manager for 18 months through to the end of next season and to then get someone in as the permanent manager and then start the 2 year consultancy with Rangnick at that point as I'm not sure how much impact he'll have on us if he's coming in now (just as we hit a period of a game every 4 days - so he'll little to no actual time on the training ground) and he's only here for 6 months.

Give him 18 months to implement what needs to be implemented and then move him upstairs. Sure it carries with it a risk of ETH &/or Poch being unavailable at that point but equally, it could also open up a spot for an Amorim, or a Potter or maybe a Lopetegui at that point in time too.

In the end I think we'll do the 6 month gig and maybe I'm underestimating our squad's capacity to adapt to his methods, but I think giving him the full season next year gives him much more scope to build the squad up for the next man in a sustainable manner.

mav_9me

We didn't set up for the counter. We played more cautiously, mainly through SAF rotating some workhorses in big games, but we never sat back in our own half hoping for a chance or two to score.
Agreed. I was just agreeing that we never dominated games. Of course that doesn't mean we parked the bus like today under Fergie away to big teams.

Theonas

Scout
I really do not understand why that is used as example to follow. It is true that under Sir Alex, we set up conservatively against big teams especially in Europe but our record in Europe or indeed against Mourinho and Rafa teams for example was far from great. It was a setup born out of struggling to carry our PL territorial dominance in the '90s and early '00s. A setup that Fergie himself resented if you read his book when he talks specifically about that game against Barcelona.

Sometimes our fans and ex pundits seem to talk like every single thing that happened in the Fergie years has to be replicated to a tee. Before you know it, we'd be talking about how we need to start the season slowly because that's how we did it under Fergie. The man is probably the greatest manager of all time and his teams were among the greatest in the history of this country but they did have flaws, one of them was failing to impose their game tactically when the new trends of coaching started emerging towards the end of the '00s. I mean it was probably the only chink in an otherwise perfect armor but it still is strange to see fans giving everything a pass just because it happened simultaneously when we were successful.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Even going back to Fergie, we would set up for the counter. I can't remember any.
We just have to look at how many times we beat Wenger's passing genius teams. Physically bully them in the middle of the park, and then a fast vertical transition after we get the ball back.
Really don't know why people seem to think this post-Fergie counter-attacking approach is new.

Dudu

Rangnick is a clever man :wenger:

After Arsenal, a favourable run of fixtures to establish his system/style and hopefully get some winning momentum:

Palace (H)
Young Boys (CL - H)
Norwich (A)
Brentford (A)
Brighton (H)
Newcastle (A)
Burnley (H)
Wolves (H)
Villa (A)
West Ham (H)
Burnley (A)
Soton (H)

Though, then immediately followed by this:

CL R16 - Leg 1
Leeds (A)
CL R16 - Leg 2
Watford (H)
City (A)
Spurs (H)
Liverpool (A)
Leicester (H)
CL QFs - Leg 1 (Bugger off. We'll make it! )
Everton (A)
CL QFs - Leg 2

Dudu

And then to finish off the season:

Norwich (H)
Arsenal (A)
CL Semi - Leg 1 (Well. Why stop now?)
Brentford (H)
CL Semi - Leg 2
Brighton (A)
Chelsea (H)
Palace (H)
(CL Final)

sglowrider

Rangnick is a clever man :wenger:

After Arsenal, a favourable run of fixtures to establish his system/style and hopefully get some winning momentum:

Palace (H)
Young Boys (CL - H)
Norwich (A)
Brentford (A)
Brighton (H)
Newcastle (A)
Burnley (H)
Wolves (H)
Villa (A)
West Ham (H)
Burnley (A)
Soton (H)

Though, then immediately followed by this:

CL R16 - Leg 1
Leeds (A)
CL R16 - Leg 2
Watford (H)
City (A)
Spurs (H)
Liverpool (A)
Leicester (H)
CL QFs - Leg 1 (Bugger off. We'll make it! )
Everton (A)
CL QFs - Leg 2
The Board made this decision when they pulled the trigger on Ole. Nothing to do with Rangnick.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I was thinking on the RR situation a little this morning and I think what might be the perfect way to go about this transition is to have Rangnick be the manager for 18 months through to the end of next season and to then get someone in as the permanent manager and then start the 2 year consultancy with Rangnick at that point as I'm not sure how much impact he'll have on us if he's coming in now (just as we hit a period of a game every 4 days - so he'll little to no actual time on the training ground) and he's only here for 6 months.

Give him 18 months to implement what needs to be implemented and then move him upstairs. Sure it carries with it a risk of ETH &/or Poch being unavailable at that point but equally, it could also open up a spot for an Amorim, or a Potter or maybe a Lopetegui at that point in time too.

In the end I think we'll do the 6 month gig and maybe I'm underestimating our squad's capacity to adapt to his methods, but I think giving him the full season next year gives him much more scope to build the squad up for the next man in a sustainable manner.
This would be a good idea. It remains to be seen how things go for Rangnick, but from watching him coach for a full season in 18/19, he's a better coach than Pochettino IMO.

Daengophile

There's a lot of talk about outgoing transfers in January which is interesting...

I guess that means leaning on some youngsters

I wonder if any loanees will be recalled....

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Under van Gaal we dominated Liverpool at Anfield, and we won.

We dominated Chelsea at Stamford Bridge ( we lost 1-0, though Rooney really should have scored).
Remember that month under Van Gaal: Very good against Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea. Probably the best row of games after Ferguson, and then it all went to shit again.

sglowrider

Well regardless, it's a fortunate fixture run to start off. Hopefully just what we need.
My question is how does the geggenpress do against defensive teams that we will meet during that period? I understand how it works against teams whenever they get the ball. But when happens when the teams just have a defensive low block with only 10-15% of the procession and park the bus?

Ted Lasso

Van Gaal.
Juanfield is one of my favorite matches in the post-SAF era. Heavy metal football silenced in their own stadia. Think it was the players themselves, talking about how they felt the whole match was in their control, metronomic.

Mr Smith

Definitely under Van Gaal we dominated some games against big teams. Can't think of it ever happening under Jose; maybe once or twice under Ole? It's certainly been the last 4-5 years we've been generally pragmatic in big games.

Status
Not open for further replies.