Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redcafe_reader

I think the fans are all behind the new manager and see him as someone who is going to take us back to our glory day. The PR students aren’t gonna work this time around.

The fact that after the interim he moves to a management role means that players will fall in line. If they don’t then they will be the first ones to be kicked out when he eventually joins the executive team.
I hope you are right, I really do but I am just not optimist.

I used to work with some big PR firm in my country, and I know how easy it is to manipulate the popular opinion, especially when the positive pr is already set in motion. Some lazy player will never be branded "lazy" by the mass, that's what I mean. One of the reason I was Ole in until the end because a manager from outside will lose the pr war no matter what, especially with our board.

Still I do hope you are right, if we actually appoint RR, the next year is very important for us.

croadyman

That's not a lot of ground considering United have already played City, Liverpool, and Chelsea through 13 weeks.

United don't have to beat Arsenal, just need points. A full result would be fantastic, but every point counts when you're chasing. Cannot afford defeats for a while. West Ham have Brighton, Chelsea, Burnley. Likely to drop some points. Arsenal have United, Everton, Southampton. United have Arsenal, Palace, Norwich.
Well looking at those fixtures the only difficult game for West Ham is Chelsea and after us Arsenal have favourable games

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
My question is how does the geggenpress do against defensive teams that we will meet during that period? I understand how it works against teams whenever they get the ball. But when happens when the teams just have a defensive low block with only 10-15% of the procession and park the bus?
Does this actually ever happen though?

croadyman

This would be a good idea. It remains to be seen how things go for Rangnick, but from watching him coach for a full season in 18/19, he's a better coach than Pochettino IMO.
Yeah I can't help wondering if 6 months is going to be enough time for him to implement his ideas

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
When was the last time we dominated games against big teams away?
I’d probably say the one against Liverpool under LVG was closest… we won 2-1 when mata scored the bicycle, we was all over them and played some lovely through balls.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Juanfield is one of my favorite matches in the post-SAF era. Heavy metal football silenced in their own stadia. Think it was the players themselves, talking about how they felt the whole match was in their control, metronomic.
That was against Rodger’s Liverpool, they hardly played heavy metal football then.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
My question is how does the geggenpress do against defensive teams that we will meet during that period? I understand how it works against teams whenever they get the ball. But when happens when the teams just have a defensive low block with only 10-15% of the procession and park the bus?
The gegenpress (counter press) is a strategy to regain possession immediately after losing the ball within 5 to 8 seconds.

Winning the ball back immediately after losing possession opens up the possibility of a counter attack that has been forced by the team applying high pressure. In such a scenario the team losing the ball has lost possession whilst they were transitioning play and have hence players out of position. Which allows the high pressing/counter pressing team to breach the back line of the team that was sitting in a low block without the ball and hence create a goal scoring opportunity.

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
When was the last time we dominated games against big teams away?
At Chelsea, there were a few games in a row at Stamford Bridge which ended 2-0 or 2-1 that were pretty comfortable. Rashford, Pogba, Martial, Bruno, and Maguire were the scorers, but all those matches have blended into one in my head. These were during Ole's caretaker spell and first full season. I think the last one was around Feb 2020, just before Covid.

3-1 at Arsenal during Ole's caretaker spell, Lukaku as RW.

Might be misremembering, but the away 2-0 at City was also comfortable. This was around December 2019.

Finally, 3-1 away at Spurs last season, scoreline doesn't fully reflect a pretty dominant performance.

Basically, quite a few early in Ole's tenure, only one since the start of last season. And it's probably more correct to call it comfortable than dominant.

marcus agrippa

Was it a one of, or we did it constantly under LVG?
No LVG tended to do really well against the top sides and struggle against the lesser, park-the-bus types.

And I don't mean 'do well' like counter-attacking nonsense like Solskjaer. I mean actually dominate top teams. Pass them off the park.

Except for Arsenal, IIRC. We often needed DDG to bail us out then.

He'd also play kids like McNair and Tyler Blackett against these top sides, and they'd actually look decent, which just goes to show the importance of having a tactical plan and pattern of play. During warm-ups before the game, they'd actually go through those patterns sans opposition.

He actually had Chris Smalling balling out. Anyone remember 'Mike' Smalling?

There were some dire games, but I'll never forget Juanfield. Never seen us go to Liverpool even under SAF and look miles - and I mean miles - the better side. It was insane.

Dembeza

I hope you are right, I really do but I am just not optimist.

I used to work with some big PR firm in my country, and I know how easy it is to manipulate the popular opinion, especially when the positive pr is already set in motion. Some lazy player will never be branded "lazy" by the mass, that's what I mean. One of the reason I was Ole in until the end because a manager from outside will lose the pr war no matter what, especially with our board.

Still I do hope you are right, if we actually appoint RR, the next year is very important for us.
I understand and those are fair points.

I will really be disappointed with the fanbase if we fall for this BS

Gurtej

Unbelievable (and good for us) that we are only 5 points behind 4th place.

with 26 games to go, gives us enough time to turn the tide and if Ralf can work his magic, ideal outcome for this year is 4th place finish (given conte, arsenal and WHU, it will be impressive) and QF or SF for UCL.

what do you guys think?

gajender

Unbelievable (and good for us) that we are only 5 points behind 4th place.

with 26 games to go, gives us enough time to turn the tide and if Ralf can work his magic, ideal outcome for this year is 4th place finish (given conte, arsenal and WHU, it will be impressive) and QF or SF for UCL.

what do you guys think?
As you said we are only 5 points behind 4th place finish with 78 points still on offer and considering the fact 4 teams between us and the 4th spot are West Ham, Arsenal ,Wolves and Tottenham who are average to decent but nothing more .
So no I wouldn't consider it impressive to jump those teams to finish in top4 but it would be a failure if we fall short . What would really be impressive is to finish with in 6 points of the eventual Champion.

Laurencio

The gegenpress (counter press) is a strategy to regain possession immediately after losing the ball with in 5 to 8 seconds.

Winning the ball back immediately after losing possession opens up the possibility of a counter attack that has been forced by the team applying high pressure. In such a scenario the team losing the ball has lost possession whilst they were transitioning play and have hence players out of position. Which allows the high pressing/counter pressing team to breach the back line of the team that was sitting in a low block without the ball and hence create a goal scoring opportunity.
To add to this. The goal is also to score within 10 seconds of getting the ball. Which means attacking with high pace, quick tempo and movement and quick forward passes - rarely passing backwards or sideways, unless that unlocks a run further up field. Possession is not an inherent goal of this style.

Sancho, Rashford and Greenwood should all thrive in this system, provided they learn to press effectively. I reckon Fred will be key early on - which I never thought I'd ever say, but there we have it.

A front three of Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho, backed up by Bruno, Van de Beek/McT and Fred, with AWB, Varane, Bailly and Telles/Shaw. Is what I reckon we'll start to see. Maybe one of the youngsters could get involved. I reckon we go for a box to box midfielder in January to partner Fred, or an eminent ballwinner like Bissouma, Rice and Ndidi. Maguire is probably done, and Ronaldo will likely be a regular sub-on option - unless of course he is even more godlike than we think, which is a distinct possibility. Pogba is as good as gone unless something changes, his long range passing could be a great weapon and the quicker passing style might actually suit him more, but he'll have to do some mighty impressive running to be involved. Who knows, maybe he'll actually come good.

I am surprised we aren't further behind than we are, and with some very winnable games coming up I think we'll gain a few positions by Christmas. It will be interesting to see how this all unfolds - but I think the real magic will be apparent in the next couple of years to come.

Lukinho

Needs to be announced today. Also the coaching has to be done by rangnick. We can’t play against Arsenal like we did against Chelsea.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Pogba being happy surprises me - but in a positive way. Thought he'd be the least excited given how much running he'll have to do.
Interesting quote for sure. Did not expect of all players that we hear about Pogba being happy first. Maybe he is happy to know that his work will have purpose?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Rumour is he won't take charge until CP. Now I am not sure where you did your maths but that's not 3 days.

Manager appointments are not usually slow, just look how quickly OGS was in the job.
Brexit hadn’t happened yet.

I thought the visa requirement was basically salary, so that won't be a problem.

Obviously, the HO are not the most efficient organisation ever but you'd think there would be a few United fans in there to make sure this gets done promptly.

Or does Priti Patel support Chelski and thinks Rangnick is French?
A working Visa is a lot more than just your salary :lol: :lol:

Maybe now people are starting to realise how bad Brexit would be for the public……..oh well, we’re stuck with it now.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I don't know if posted yet - but in this interview he talks a lot about what he does to squads in training, diet and nutrition, what profile they look out for in transfers, etc.

It's very good info into how he'll work at the club:

Bestietom

Interesting quote for sure. Did not expect of all players that we hear about Pogba being happy first. Maybe he is happy to know that his work will have purpose?
It's because Real are not interested in him now. Probably accept a big pay rise here.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
didn't remember just how 2002 yellow interior design is.

Marcus

Pogba being happy surprises me - but in a positive way. Thought he'd be the least excited given how much running he'll have to do.
Pogbe being happy to have any excuse to stay at United till the end of the season (as opposed to being sold in January) for his payday.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It doesn't surprises me, it's someone that was happy under Conte, Allegri and Deschamps.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
I don't know if posted yet - but in this interview he talks a lot about what he does to squads in training, diet and nutrition, what profile they look out for in transfers, etc.

It's very good info into how he'll work at the club:

I love when he's talking about this '360 degree radar' that the 2 players he uses as examples are Lionel Messi and Naby Keita :lol:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It doesn't surprises me, it's someone that was happy under Conte, Allegri and Deschamps.
True, but he is also injured and not currently involved. My surprise is less about him being happy as such, but more about him being the first whose reaction to RR is mentioned, not any player currently fit and important for the team.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
This shit should have been sorted before the international break. That's what a normal club does ffs! Now games are coming thick and fast.

romufc

Pogba is maybe happy cause he'll finally have a manager who'll know how to use him.
How to use Pogba? Pogba will probably be the last person on the team sheet.

If you look at the type of players Rangnick uses in midfield, they are workhorses, energy, literally everything the opposite of Pogba.

gajender

Pogbe being happy to have any excuse to stay at United till the end of the season (as opposed to being sold in January) for his payday.
You do realise Club can't sell Pogba without him agreeable to the move and he doesn't need any excuse to stay here till summer he has a valid contract for feck sake .

Bestietom

How to use Pogba? Pogba will probably be the last person on the team sheet.

If you look at the type of players Rangnick uses in midfield, they are workhorses, energy, literally everything the opposite of Pogba.
Yes, Midfield is the heartbeat of every great team and the ones who play there should work their butt off. I like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.