Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanyC

Here is something Veron said about Fergie in a interview and I hope I don’t get flagged for this: He was so demanding with everybody. If you couldn’t keep up, it was clear you would have to look elsewhere”

this attitude is what we need in a manager…no question, Ralf talks a good talk but he would make a better DOF in my view, 6 months is not enough time to change things up.

tomaldinho1

When are we all going to accept Ralf is coaching us 4222 because Ralph Hasenhuttl is coming in summer? Just battered Brentford 4-1 with the 4222. Then history repeats RBL itself and we bring Nagelsmann in after that.

Mainoldo

When are we all going to accept Ralf is coaching us 4222 because Ralph Hasenhuttl is coming in summer? Just battered Brentford 4-1 with the 4222. Then history repeats RBL itself and we bring Nagelsmann in after that.
:lol: :lol: :lol: It’s probably true though.

RedCurry

I am an optimist, so I believe we will get worse before we get better under RR. He’s a very different manager than anything many of our players have experienced before. Many of these are good players who genuinely want to do well but for now there seems like a communication gap between the manager and players. Both parties will adjust and within a few weeks we will start to see signs of what RR wants from his players. Forget top four this season. I don’t care about it. I want to go into next season with a plan of how we will compete for trophies. As long as RR can set us on a strong path from where we can explode next season, that’s good enough for me. Players, coaches, supporters need to all pull in the same direction here. Let’s go!

Mainoldo

I am an optimist, so I believe we will get worse before we get better under RR. He’s a very different manager than anything many of our players have experienced before. Many of these are good players who genuinely want to do well but for now there seems like a communication gap between the manager and players. Both parties will adjust and within a few weeks we will start to see signs of what RR wants from his players. Forget top four this season. I don’t care about it. I want to go into next season with a plan of how we will compete for trophies. As long as RR can set us on a strong path from where we can explode next season, that’s good enough for me. Players, coaches, supporters need to all pull in the same direction here. Let’s go!
You do know Ralph ain’t the manager next season. Also what do you mean these players aren’t use to a manager like this? These players didn’t play their whole career under Ole.

Absolutely this haha. People need to accept the season was over before it began, board were too slow to react. Once you come to terms with that then you can just enjoy the ride :) Anything we win or a high place finish will just be a bonus!

We are basically preparing for next season already. As you said, implementing a modern style of play already and putting our own players on trial to see who’s good enough and has the right attitude to stay. In Ralf we trust!

Reactions: Cheimoon

RedDevil@84

We are basically preparing for next season already. As you said, implementing a modern style of play already and putting our own players on trial to see who’s good enough and has the right attitude to stay. In Ralf we trust!
What remains to be seen is whether the decision makers approve of Ralf's opinions. Hypothetically, if he says he wants to drop Ronaldo or Rashford or Maguire, will he be allowed?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Would be very happy with that. Rather him than Poch. The actual Klopp make 2.

jrsenior

Read some interesting qoutes from the Danish director of football at Brentford. He compares a club with an iceberg. What fans see are the tip, the 10%, the players and the manager. The other 90% are what makes a club successful, the structure, the whole staff from top to bottom and how they work together towards the same goals. It will take a long, long time before United have fixed the 90%. Maybe my son's will live to see it.

roseguy64

Read some interesting qoutes from the Danish director of football at Brentford. He compares a club with an iceberg. What fans see are the tip, the 10%, the players and the manager. The other 90% are what makes a club successful, the structure, the whole staff from top to bottom and how they work together towards the same goals. It will take a long, long time before United have fixed the 90%. Maybe my son's will live to see it.
Are you 90?

SonyaCross493

Rangnick has never won anything and is too long out of the game managing 2 of the last 10 years it's like Fergie coming back.. the game has evolved so I do think the players have a point with the leaks about how his training methods are outdated. Conte was The One. But sadly we let him get away. Even Poch doesn't impress me much if we got him in the summer.. he's letting the PSG locker room rule him. He's an Argentinian Ole. A willing cuckold. Nice guy but doesn't have the steel to manage top players or give bollockings which is what this group of players need a rocket up the arses not another passive manager.

Conte would atleast be going crazy on the touch line and shouting at players to show themselves more.

Shame we can't get Conte now. If I was the board I'd go to Levy and pay whatever he wants write him a blank cheque and ask him to name his price. And hope Conte pushes for the move. Top 4 hangs in the balance.. United demand and need the best manager and Tottenham have one of them.

Last edited:

Ventura

And that's why our overall performance hasn't changed since 2013, no matter who the manager is. We've had some minor ups and downs but little has changed performance wise. People always get excited about sacking the manager and getting the next guy in because then everything will be better, except it doesn't.

wise_old_man

Rangnick has never won anything and is too long out of the game managing 2 of the last 10 years it's like Fergie coming back.. the game has evolved so I do think the players have a point with the leaks about how his training methods are outdated. Conte was The One. But sadly we let him get away. Even Poch doesn't impress me much if we got him in the summer.. he's letting the PSG locker room rule him. He's an Argentinian Ole. A willing cuckold. Nice guy but doesn't have the steel to manage top players or give bollockings which is what this group of players need a rocket up the arses not another passive manager.
Now I've seen it all. :lol:

SonyaCross493

I honestly don't get why neither Ole or Rangnick have seen we are losing the midfield battle every game and haven't had a light bulb moment to flood the midfield and play 3 midfielders (Bruno isn't a midfielder) in midfield to get more control and try to win the midfield battle by packing that part of the pitch out so we don't get overrun in there every match anymore. Yes we might have to sacrifice an attacker but no point having attackers playing if you can't control the midfield as they won't get service. Keep it tight and make United solid and difficult to beat by flooding the midfield, and you always have a chance to win the game with the attackers we have.

Both City and Liverpool play 3 in midfield and seem to control games better. Liverpools midfield are Henderson, Milner and Fabinho. Are they better than Matic/Scotty, Fred and Donny man for man? Not for me. Liverpool have a very workmanlike 3 in midfield but they still manage to control the midfield and win the midfield battle most games they play. United should try it..

it just seems logical and common sense thing to do to me. I'm not a manager or anything.. it's just an observation from my armchair. So I'll welcome anyone who can explain why we haven't tried it.

the only reason I saw someone mention is because United have too many attackers to keep happy a manager has to play them all and pressure from above to do so.. well sorry if that's the case then we are finished as a football club and are as bad as PSG if a manager can't manage because he has one hand tied behind his back. Maybe that's why we want Poch as he's use to working like that at PSG!

get rid of a few of those attackers we don't need, buy a proper midfield and play 3 in midfield .. simple!

Last edited:
What remains to be seen is whether the decision makers approve of Ralf's opinions. Hypothetically, if he says he wants to drop Ronaldo or Rashford or Maguire, will he be allowed?
Unfortunately I don’t think so. It’s already known that there is a contract offer on the table to Pogba and Lingard. There is no sane footballing reason to want these guys to stay who are now both 29 I think. They have been here years never made an impact here and also both caused trouble (With their agent Raiola).

I can only thing the board are offering contracts based on them being social media stars with lots of followers and clicks. I don’t think this board will ever change TBH, I would love to be wrong.

afatzp

I honestly don't get why neither Ole or Rangnick have seen we are losing the midfield battle every game and haven't had a light bulb moment to flood the midfield and play 3 midfielders (Bruno isn't a midfielder) in midfield to get more control and try to win the midfield battle by packing that part of the pitch out so we don't get overrun in there every match anymore. Yes we might have to sacrifice an attacker but no point having attackers playing if you can't control the midfield as they won't get service. Keep it tight by flooding the midfield and you always have a chance to win the game with the attackers we have.

Both City and Liverpool play 3 in midfield and seem to control games better. Liverpools midfield are Henderson, Milner and Fabinho. Are they better than Matic/Scotty, Fred and Donny man for man? Not for me. Liverpool have a very workmanlike 3 in midfield but they still manage to control the midfield and win the midfield battle most games they play. United should try it..
To be fair, Fabinho is 1-2 levels above our current midfield options and he basically combined the functions / skillsets of Matic (hold balls & distribute & 3rd CB) , McT (strength & header & long shot range) and Fred (covering ground ) .

But our main difference from Liverpool are Salah & Mane: they are not only pressing like crazy which eases much work at midfield, but constantly running at space to provide options for midfield to pass the balls forward and they do have the technical skills to hold the balls up front in tight space and stretch the defend line. Opponents just have to spend most head count to limit them while leave the midfield controlled by Liverpool.

We currently only have Greenwood showing glimpse of moments for which Salah & Mane provide for 90 mins . He needs to develop physicals to catch up the top level.
Ronaldo can't press, could not hold ball or dribble 1 on 1, basically an One-touch goal poacher like 32 year-old Owen back then;
Rashford has been too moody for indifferent to press, can't hold the ball or dribble 1 on 1, lose some of his acceleration, so it's 29 year-old Agbonlahor with worse work rate;
Cavani can press, can hold the ball but no speed or dribbling to beat opponents 1 on 1, in recent two games he just have to cover lots of ground for Ronaldo or Rashford and far away from goal to make use his off-ball movements and finishing skills. So it's like 29 year-old Benteke.
Sancho can press, could not hold the ball or dribble 1 on 1 in PL, smart player and willing to run at space but often did not receive timely distribution to make use of the space. He could improve but currently just like 32 year-old Lallana.

So you get the picture: our forwards are 32 year-old Owen and Lallana, 29 year-old Agbonlahor and Benteke, in brief, a mid-table options which drag down our overall performance.

kthanksbye

hard to judge Ralf at this point, he's walked in to a dressing room where not a single player is confident or in form, then the COVID outbreak didn't help either, immediately there are talks of 11 or 17 players wanting to leave, the guys is probably realising the scale of the task in his hand right now.
I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't accept the consultancy role at the end of the season and just fecked off.

We really missed a trick with Conte didn't we, Spurs aren't winning every game, but they've been showing signs of progress, if I was a betting man, I'd put a tenner on them to finish 4th this season.

SonyaCross493

What changed since the Palace game. Why can't we play like that again?! We don't even play the high line with defenders anymore

Conte was the one. Elite manager should be at United. Getting him out of Spurs will be difficult but not impossible. The club should pay whatever Spurs want as compensation and just admit they made a mistake hence why they are paying a big compensation package to try to rectify that mistake. Otherwise Bye bye Top 4 it's gone. The club need to do something drastic before it's too late.. the season is still salvageable

i also imagine Conte has some clause in his contract that allows him to speak to Champions League clubs if they come in for him. Spurs are not big enough for him.

Conte has actually won trophies.

Rangnick doesn't shout on the Touchline at players when they mess up. He seems quite mellow.

Last edited:

Flexdegea

Yes, consultancy. Not DoF or CEO. No one knows how much influence he'll actually have, so I find this assumption that he's assessing the squad during this period to be a bit of a stretch. If the spell goes badly, he may not even get that role.

The job of the interim is to steady the ship and try to secure top 4. That's why the fans, the players, the board... they all expect instant results.

Consultancy or not, they've brought him in to advise them, murtogh and Fletcher have recommended him, so I'm sure they will be listening to him before anyone else. The fact they even went to get him shows they know they need a new direction and new plan to modernise the football side of things.

I think it be daft to have him consultant and not follow through any of his recommendation considering he be the adult in the room

romufc

You do realize that it is not that simple to compare club sizes like that right?

It is not just about what we have won in last few years. The commercial power, the reputation, the feck up management, the expectation...

And what did he win with those clubs btw? A German cup? Where are they now? Didn't he quit one of those jobs citing the stress?
Well Jose had won leagues and CL's before us, did it mean he automatically won a league for us ? No.

We have tried all those hiring a top manager and failed, its time to restructure the club.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
To be fair, Fabinho is 1-2 levels above our current midfield options and he basically combined the functions / skillsets of Matic (hold balls & distribute & 3rd CB) , McT (strength & header & long shot range) and Fred (covering ground ) .

But our main difference from Liverpool are Salah & Mane: they are not only pressing like crazy which eases much work at midfield, but constantly running at space to provide options for midfield to pass the balls forward and they do have the technical skills to hold the balls up front in tight space and stretch the defend line. Opponents just have to spend most head count to limit them while leave the midfield controlled by Liverpool.

We currently only have Greenwood showing glimpse of moments for which Salah & Mane provide for 90 mins . He needs to develop physicals to catch up the top level.
Ronaldo can't press, could not hold ball or dribble 1 on 1, basically an One-touch goal poacher like 32 year-old Owen back then;
Rashford has been too moody for indifferent to press, can't hold the ball or dribble 1 on 1, lose some of his acceleration, so it's 29 year-old Agbonlahor with worse work rate;
Cavani can press, can hold the ball but no speed or dribbling to beat opponents 1 on 1, in recent two games he just have to cover lots of ground for Ronaldo or Rashford and far away from goal to make use his off-ball movements and finishing skills. So it's like 29 year-old Benteke.
Sancho can press, could not hold the ball or dribble 1 on 1 in PL, smart player and willing to run at space but often did not receive timely distribution to make use of the space. He could improve but currently just like 32 year-old Lallana.

So you get the picture: our forwards are 32 year-old Owen and Lallana, 29 year-old Agbonlahor and Benteke, in brief, a mid-table options which drag down our overall performance.
I know it's an exaggeration but it's amazing we setup the whole team so that we can have 4 forwards on the pitch. Literally makes no sense in current situation.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
hard to judge Ralf at this point, he's walked in to a dressing room where not a single player is confident or in form, then the COVID outbreak didn't help either, immediately there are talks of 11 or 17 players wanting to leave, the guys is probably realising the scale of the task in his hand right now.
I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't accept the consultancy role at the end of the season and just fecked off.

We really missed a trick with Conte didn't we, Spurs aren't winning every game, but they've been showing signs of progress, if I was a betting man, I'd put a tenner on them to finish 4th this season.
In the German press word is that the players don't buy into Rangnick's idea of football. If true, then the situation is really messed up. Either the board sides with the players and replaces Rangnick with another manager or it supports him and gets rid of the players who don't follow his approach.

Not an easy decision to take at all as both options will have severe consequences.

If getting rid of RR and appoint e.g. ETH. What will happen, if the same players don't buy into his football philosophy again?
Also Rangnick isn't known to be a second Mourinho who is known to throw players under the bus. RR is demanding, values discipline and the players have to follow his instructions but I never heard that he fell out with several players or lost the dressing room. Actually he was rather liked by the dressing room and stayed long-term.
I believe ETH would even struggle more with this crop of players. He is a pure system coach and doesn't have much experience in man management. His only major appointment is Ajax and it's a perfect match for both.
So if the board chooses to replace Rangnick, it better goes for an Ancelotti type of manager with excellent man management skills but better tactical skills than Ole. However, the players will only become more powerful and no clear play style will be implemented like e.g. at Liverpool, Man City or Bayern. Don't know, if that's what the fans and club want.

If supporting Rangnick and going for the big clearout, his status as a 6 months interim coach isn't helpful. There will be an exodus of 10 and more players in the next 4 weeks and at least 4 to 5 need to be replaced. Giving that task to a manager who will only be in the driving seat until the end of season doesn't make much sense. I know Rangnick will move up into management but as long as there isn't already a successor standing by, it's far from ideal to buy several players without the new coach having a say. Especially, if it's not clear which system the new coach prefers and which type of players he needs to implement his philosophy.

Scottynaldinho

I think it's not as bad as the media is making it out to be.

It just needs one convincing/comprehensive victory against a decent opposition and we're going on a winning streak.

You can clearly see that with the celebrations when we're scoring. Ronaldo tracking back, coming deep, tells you it's not that he's not listening to the manager.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Rangnick has never won anything and is too long out of the game managing 2 of the last 10 years it's like Fergie coming back.. the game has evolved so I do think the players have a point with the leaks about how his training methods are outdated.
Where did the players say the training methods were "outdated"?

padzilla

Hipster
Unfortunately I don’t think so. It’s already known that there is a contract offer on the table to Pogba and Lingard. There is no sane footballing reason to want these guys to stay who are now both 29 I think. They have been here years never made an impact here and also both caused trouble (With their agent Raiola).

I can only thing the board are offering contracts based on them being social media stars with lots of followers and clicks. I don’t think this board will ever change TBH, I would love to be wrong.
Pogba is being indulged because how shit our other midfield options are sadly.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I don't think Ralf and Hassenhutl ended on the best of terms at the end of Hassenhutl RBL reign. I'm very sure our long term aim is, and should be, Ten Haag.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
In the German press word is that the players don't buy into Rangnick's idea of football. If true, then the situation is really messed up. Either the board sides with the players and replaces Rangnick with another manager or it supports him and gets rid of the players who don't follow his approach.

Not an easy decision to take at all as both options will have severe consequences.

If getting rid of RR and appoint e.g. ETH. What will happen, if the same players don't buy into his football philosophy again?
Also Rangnick isn't known to be a second Mourinho who is known to throw players under the bus. RR is demanding, values discipline and the players have to follow his instructions but I never heard that he fell out with several players or lost the dressing room. Actually he was rather liked by the dressing room and stayed long-term.
I believe ETH would even struggle more with this crop of players. He is a pure system coach and doesn't have much experience in man management. His only major appointment is Ajax and it's a perfect match for both.
So if the board chooses to replace Rangnick, it better goes for an Ancelotti type of manager with excellent man management skills but better tactical skills than Ole. However, the players will only become more powerful and no clear play style will be implemented like e.g. at Liverpool, Man City or Bayern. Don't know, if that's what the fans and club want.

If supporting Rangnick and going for the big clearout, his status as a 6 months interim coach isn't helpful. There will be an exodus of 10 and more players in the next 4 weeks and at least 4 to 5 need to be replaced. Giving that task to a manager who will only be in the driving seat until the end of season doesn't make much sense. I know Rangnick will move up into management but as long as there isn't already a successor standing by, it's far from ideal to buy several players without the new coach having a say. Especially, if it's not clear which system the new coach prefers and which type of players he needs to implement his philosophy.
Great post here. I think they need to double down on Ralf. Not necessarily as coach next season but as Head of Football (or whatever). It’s not a year-long rebuild here. It could be 2-5 years as massive changes are needed.

Redfrog

Yes, consultancy. Not DoF or CEO. No one knows how much influence he'll actually have, so I find this assumption that he's assessing the squad during this period to be a bit of a stretch. If the spell goes badly, he may not even get that role.

The job of the interim is to steady the ship and try to secure top 4. That's why the fans, the players, the board... they all expect instant results.
Players expect results ? I don’t see that on the pitch !

Newstyle

The flack RR is getting on here is a bit silly.
We have NOT manage to play attractive football in 8 years over 4 permanent managers and we expect an interim, 5 weeks into his tenure to be world class beaters. It is apparently not enough to win games (that’s why our previous regime got sacked) anymore.

I also feel the frustration in the performances but the complaints towards RR is misguided.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
What changed since the Palace game. Why can't we play like that again?! We don't even play the high line with defenders anymore
We weren't even good in 'the Palace game' we ran about for a bit at the start, that's it. It looked like any other game from these players otherwise.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
We weren't even good in 'the Palace game' we ran about for a bit at the start, that's it. It looked like any other game from these players otherwise.
Attacking wise, potentially. However, we completely controlled the game for large periods. In the first half we penned Palace back and they couldn't get a kick. Our defenders played on the halfway line and never looked under threat. And Palace were coming off a good win at City. They were expected to make it tough on us.

Compare and contrast that to the last couple of games at Old Trafford. Wolves and Villa both found it pretty easy through our midfield. Villa scored two offside goals, could've scored more.

At least against Palace there was a clear idea to what we wanted to do. We got at their defence when they were in possession, forced them into mistakes and kept them far away from our goal until we ran out of steam. Ever since we've just been a diet version of Ole's team and against Villa we even went back to 4-2-3-1.

If this is what Rangnick is going to be doing with the team going forward we may as well have stuck with Carrick.

kirk buttercup

some people are underestimating the job that has to be done . Ralf has to get a bunch of players who haven't worked hard enough for many years now to play a system they have never played in before and come completely out of their comfort zone. This is going take more than a few weeks to fix . When you are asking a team to change their Ethos and work ethic it's a massive change. I myself am a coach ( albeit in a different sport ) it can take a very long time to see fruits from the seeds you plant early on in a season. We need to be patient more than likely we may see more of what we have seen until it clicks then we will see success with the new systems and Ethos.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not surprising. We are passion merchants.

I hope Rangnick sticks to the 4-2-3-1 now. We play a lot better in that formation, and can still press happily.

Pressing is more about team work than formation anyway.

Leftback99

Attacking wise, potentially. However, we completely controlled the game for large periods. In the first half we penned Palace back and they couldn't get a kick. Our defenders played on the halfway line and never looked under threat. And Palace were coming off a good win at City. They were expected to make it tough on us.

Compare and contrast that to the last couple of games at Old Trafford. Wolves and Villa both found it pretty easy through our midfield. Villa scored two offside goals, could've scored more.

At least against Palace there was a clear idea to what we wanted to do. We got at their defence when they were in possession, forced them into mistakes and kept them far away from our goal until we ran out of steam. Ever since we've just been a diet version of Ole's team and against Villa we even went back to 4-2-3-1.

If this is what Rangnick is going to be doing with the team going forward we may as well have stuck with Carrick.
Reading my comments back from that game I thought we were poor and specifically mentioned the lack of control in midfield. It was just a bit of extra effort from the players at the start of the game which they've soon given up.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Not surprising. We are passion merchants.

I hope Rangnick sticks to the 4-2-3-1 now. We play a lot better in that formation, and can still press happily.

Pressing is more about team work than formation anyway.
Do we? Aston Villa should've beaten us. I dread to think what sides like City, Liverpool and Chelsea would do to us playing the way we did on Monday night. Villa found it easy to move the ball forward and they're not even that great of a side.

Was there that big of a difference between the jammy win we got on Monday and the kind of jammy wins we were getting against Atalanta and Villareal earlier in the season?

Reading my comments back from that game I thought we were poor and specifically mentioned the lack of control in midfield. It was just a bit of extra effort from the players at the start of the game which they've soon given up.
We were not very good in possession but the key thing was we controlled, at least for an hour, the areas of the pitch in which the game was played. We were stealing the ball high up the pitch and, with better decision making, could've made more of where we were winning the ball.

Going back to 4-2-3-1 might make certain players in our squad more comfortable. However, as a team we look a lot ropier. Buendia was dancing through our defence on Monday night. Players who are his equal or better are going to relish the chance to play against us.

Leftback99

Do we? Aston Villa should've beaten us. I dread to think what sides like City, Liverpool and Chelsea would do to us playing the way we did on Monday night. Villa found it easy to move the ball forward and they're not even that great of a side.

Was there that big of a difference between the jammy win we got on Monday and the kind of jammy wins we were getting against Atalanta and Villareal earlier in the season?

We were not very good in possession but the key thing was we controlled, at least for an hour, the areas of the pitch in which the game was played. We were stealing the ball high up the pitch and, with better decision making, could've made more of where we were winning the ball.

Going back to 4-2-3-1 might make certain players in our squad more comfortable. However, as a team we look a lot ropier. Buendia was dancing through our defence on Monday night. Players who are his equal or better are going to relish the chance to play against us.
I'm fed up of having no midfield and getting dominated by a simple 3 against 2. If Bruno is to play in a 4-2-3-1 it has to be deeper, otherwise I'd put him wide in a 4-3-3.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Here is something Veron said about Fergie in a interview and I hope I don’t get flagged for this: He was so demanding with everybody. If you couldn’t keep up, it was clear you would have to look elsewhere”

this attitude is what we need in a manager…no question, Ralf talks a good talk but he would make a better DOF in my view, 6 months is not enough time to change things up.
Well apparently we dismissed the idea of Conte because he would've been too demanding and his micro-management would've been too much for our squad...

Status
Not open for further replies.