Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NZT-One

The one thing that is clear having RR come in. A manager who has a clear idea of how he would like to play, is that while we have a massive squad, we struggle to field 11 players who can actually play the same style. Outside of park the bus and counter, we are a Hodge Podge of styles, techniques and mentality.

The most worrying thing is that our most high profile players (refuse to call them best) are the ones that move us further from where we would like to be.

Maguire, Bissaka, Fred, Rashford to name a few are players of profile who just shouldn't be here for different reasons.
That is an interesting choice of players, AWB is obvious, Maguire more or less as well but how do come to the two others?

Apart from that, I definitely agree - we added random players and hoped, they could just copy paste their highlight reels to ours. There was no plan at all, I was wondering about AWB and Maguire and asked how are we supposed to play a modern style of football with these two? I mean, you don't have to play modern to win but it isn't like we assembled the rest of the squad for a low block counter attacking side... I just doesn't click, as you say. We have Bruno who thrives in unlimited freedom and will produce once you make sure he is well protected and has runs availabe from the strikers. Then we have Fred and McTom who (at least I am pretty sure about it) would thrive in a very rigid systemic approach with clear roles and tasks. You have Maguire who is slow and unagile which makes it hard to play a high line, you have Martial and Pogba who have a very low intensity style, we took two young strikers and called them wingers even though they still play as if they would be strikers. Lets not talk about the fullbacks.

It sucks so hard but there is a good thing I thought: due to this mix, we should be able to play multiple kinds of football to a good degree. Granted - never with all out best players on the pitch in their "best positions" at the same time but still. So far, that didn't materialize.. and to be honest, it breaks my heart imagining that RR just abandoned his style because of whatever. That is, where he excels, where he has the knowledge. I don't know, what he is trying these days but that isn't much control. We are not preventing chances very well. We are not creating any (felt like even less than under Ole). We are not keeping possession, we are not countering, we are not pressing. This is Mourinho/Ole - all over again. No particular style but a mix, whereby nothing is really on a good level. Infuriating

C'est Moi Cantona

It is not wrong. But ideas are ideas. You need to know how to implement them to be successful. Most managers have good ideas. Being competent as installing it at this level is a way different thing.
I don't think I'm seeing Rangnick as a manager really, more holding the fort for the next guy whilst getting first hand knoweledge of the squad, then he can really have an impact, so my expectations are lower than most on here it seems.

Matt851

That's his football? Pressing? What about other function? Game management? Yes, we do need to press more. And, that's nothing unique about it at this point to call it his 'football'. Most modern managers will do that.

Even Ole played us like that for a few first games and talked about like how Man United team need to work harder than the rest.
That's his football? Pressing? What about other function? Game management? Yes, we do need to press more. And, that's nothing unique about it at this point to call it his 'football'. Most modern managers will do that.

Even Ole played us like that for a few first games and talked about like how Man United team need to work harder than the rest.
Isn't the truth of the matter:

- most of our fans were excited about his appointment more because they hope he can teach murtough and Fletcher to do their jobs properly in his consultancy stint
- we should pushed harder to appoint a permanent manager earlier in the season
- we could have hired a better interim if only focusing in their managerial abilities

If we weren't a basket case we might have hired ralf in a technical / sporting director position (in place of murtough and / or fletcher) along with someone whose coaching cv warrants being at one of the biggest clubs in europe

Irwin99

No exaggeration but unless he stumbles upon something good in terms of formation/players we're not just missing out on top 4 we're probably finishing miles off in mid-table. My guess 7th place :(

Strelok

The knives are out in full force today eh?

I literally cannot wait until ETH comes in and the same shite happens to him, & there’s a bit of learning & bedding in to do and the impatient entitled fecks of the CAF call for his head a month into his 3 year tenure for not playing like prime Barcelona and steam rolling everyone.

Now where’s my magic wand…..
Sometime I do think this fanbase well deserved this current mess.

Anyway imo this time the board is fully behind Ralf and it's definitely a good thing. I don't buy the Ronaldo and Rashfor injuries at all. Too convenient to be true. The board seems to fully back him, at least for the now.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Top four is gone. What i want to see for the rest of the season is some implementation of attacking football. The first half today was good today and the best we have played under Rangnick.

It can be better though. Much better.

I thought the entire point of getting an interim was fighting for top 4?
The board stopped us getting top 4 when they didn’t sack Ole. They just sat there paralysed and allowed Conte to go to a rival.

We now have Ralf as he was the only person available. I refuse to blame him, I hope people turn on the board and not the manager, he’s just a fall guy who is trying his best with a difficult situation.

Aziz2112

Rangnick is not responsible for Fred not knowing how to pass a ball, being as easy to brush off as a fallen leaf, and having the first touch of an 8 year-old. RR picked him to play, but what are the other options?

RR failed today with his subs. We could have managed the game better with early subs and getting Fred and Matic and Cavani off the pitch. Leaving them on hurt us. Beyond that, at least RR has a plan, which Ole did not.
What exactly is RR's plan? Can't get the players to play the 4222 intensive press he wants, struggling to keep the backroom, and a far worse xG. Not saying I'd prefer Ole as manager, but winning games from going behind and at least decent football at times against better teams is far better than whatever we're getting here.

big_jeffstar

It was never about Ralf being manager and taking us to trophies, he was always hired to buy us time until we get our main target, whilst getting a closer look at the players who could possibly stick around.
Ole was getting absolutely battered by all and sundry, and the sacking was essentially a mercy killing in the end.
This is just the very beginnings of a completely new way that the club is run, and we’re just seeing the hangover from the old regime.. Otis a shame that we had to make the change halfway through the season, but it is what it is.
look at the Martial news.. no beating around the bush “he didn’t want to be in the squad” .. these are the sort of characters we’ve collected.. and whilever they’re still here, we’ll keep seeing these performances because they either aren’t good enough, they’re too old. or they can’t be arsed.. I can’t wait to see the back of them tbh

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Who has he dropped? Ronaldo, Maguire, Rashford were injured today. Easy to drop players when they aren’t available. Also, if you could explain the system you’re seeing? I’ve seen a manager trying multiple formations and no real consistent style of play from game to game.

I’m happy to admit it is always going to be hard to change things quickly, but don’t make things up.
When he says injured it doesnt actually mean injured by the way.
Henderson being a good example of that, and Martial. I have little doubt that Ronaldo is injured but the rest, go figure.

Strelok

This is exactly why he's not a good coach. He lacks the decisiveness and overthink too much to be a top one. A match is 90' you gotta trust yourself and make the decision fast not wondering and worrying what if.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Sign Ten Hag for 22-23.

Terrible interim. Has inherited a mismanaged squad but now he's mismanaging it even more incompetently.

Dan_F

When he says injured it doesnt actually mean injured by the way.
Henderson being a good example of that, and Martial. I have little doubt that Ronaldo is injured but the rest, go figure.
Are you just guessing? Like, you actually have no idea about this do you.

Henderson missed one game and was back in the squad today, nothing about that suggests he was dropped. Martial asked not to be in the team and has asked to leave, why would any manager have him in the squad.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Are you just guessing? Like, you actually have no idea about this do you.

Henderson missed one game and was back in the squad today, nothing about that suggests he was dropped. Martial asked not to be in the team and has asked to leave, why would any manager have him in the squad.
Where did you read that Martial asked to leave and NOT be in any squad selection?

AneRu

I thought the entire point of getting an interim was fighting for top 4?
Too four was gone the moment we bottled the Ole sacking after Liverpool. Looking at the cesspit that is our dressing that Ole was shielding its a good thing we are even getting results, you have players storming out of training, other refusing to travel and others in a post Ole sulk.

The United

Isn't the truth of the matter:

- most of our fans were excited about his appointment more because they hope he can teach murtough and Fletcher to do their jobs properly in his consultancy stint
- we should pushed harder to appoint a permanent manager earlier in the season
- we could have hired a better interim if only focusing in their managerial abilities

If we weren't a basket case we might have hired ralf in a technical / sporting director position (in place of murtough and / or fletcher) along with someone whose coaching cv warrants being at one of the biggest clubs in europe
It is debatable that if United even rated him that high. I based this on the fact that United was finding a interim to wait for better choices in the summer. RR was the one who said he would only come if he had secured that consultant position.

At this point, United started having their bulbs light up or was desperate enough to find someone at all. So he came in. I am really doubtful that they intended to hire him to teach anyone.

The most important thing people missed again and again is that as I said he was not offered that role in the first place. Which makes me think his role is exaggerated by the fans who at this point are obsessive with pressing style. I doubt his role would impact on anything at all. Then again, as you said, I blame this more on the club management than the man.

But then again, if the club was competent at this level, they would have found better than RR for consultant or dof or whatever role to oversee the squad management.

Lentwood

That was actually much better today until we tired and gaps started appearing. We had a 34yo and a 33yo in the team, plus Fred, and it definitely showed in the final 20 minutes.

Ragnick can only do so much with the players he has available.

flappyjay

The knives are out in full force today eh?

I literally cannot wait until ETH comes in and the same shite happens to him, & there’s a bit of learning & bedding in to do and the impatient entitled fecks of the CAF call for his head a month into his 3 year tenure for not playing like prime Barcelona and steam rolling everyone.

Now where’s my magic wand…..
Literally the bar is set so low. Look who who he has played so far and the results. We are just asking not to be outplayed by everyone. Other managers got to their teams and made a difference but the same should not be expected of Ralf?

sirAlexsglasses

Because he has inherit a group of players who are as much of a team as The Mud Dogs when The Waterboy came. Just give the guy a fecking break Pep wouldn't be capable of doing anything with these fullbacks and Matic at the middle of the park. Our midfield consists of McT and Fred who is probably the worst midfielder to play for Utd ever, absolutely garbage.
Totally agree, even Pep wouldn’t get a tune out of this lot right now, I can’t believe the shit the guy is getting after only a few short weeks. This is not on RR.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I can assure you we won't be pressing as much in the opening stage next game. We can't press effectively, it's all based on effort and in the end it cost us too much energy.

flappyjay

That was actually much better today until we tired and gaps started appearing. We had a 34yo and a 33yo in the team, plus Fred, and it definitely showed in the final 20 minutes.

Ragnick can only do so much with the players he has available.
Let's not rewrite history the last minutes of the 1st half and the 2nd half they were all over us not just the last 20. We are clearly disorganized defensively. As for energy we had donny and Lingard on the bench. We had enough to close out a a match.

The United

I can assure you we won't be pressing as much in the opening stage next game. We can't press effectively, it's all based on effort and in the end it cost us too much energy.
And could have put Lingard, DVB etc this game to keep the intensity/energy a bit more at around 60 mins. Pressing early was not the issue. Not keeping/changing the shape or at least not fixing it was.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Such a shame we had that mad 5min period as otherwise the whole place would have been buzzing tonight after a solid win :(

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
He's not shown much. In game management has been terrible.

Roll on the summer.

Dan_F

Where did you read that Martial asked to leave and NOT be in any squad selection?
As someone else linked, Rangnick said so after the game. I don’t believe he’s dropped any of the names you believe he has.

Siezard

Villa was on fire. Maybe Gerrard was really angry at half time. Who cares much anyway since we got the FA cup win.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Unfortunately he is absolutely clueless so far.

Dear God let's hope he changes things.

PoTMS

I would avoid moving him upstairs too, if his managerial ability is anything to tell by. I don't think he's the right man to be our Director of Football.

MrBest

Totally agree, even Pep wouldn’t get a tune out of this lot right now, I can’t believe the shit the guy is getting after only a few short weeks. This is not on RR.
I think thats fair to say this is not RR but its been 5 or 6 weeks, about 6 or 7 games and we don't seem to be playing in this RR way. Perhaps he is easing them in, at least i hope this is the point but the worrying this is we cannot seem to last longer than 30 mins in a game. After the players this is down to the coaches and the manager. Also, RR made some crucial errors today, left Cavani and Matic on who both clearly were struggling with the pace after about 60 mins. Fresh legs was badly needed earlier on, we were 2 0 up and we should have closed the game by packing the midfield, and waiting for the counter to get a third. We lost today not because of the players, but because basic management was not applied.

MrBest

I would avoid moving him upstairs too, if his managerial ability is anything to tell by. I don't think he's the right man to be our Director of Football.
DoF as manager are completely different. I would have no problem with him being upstairs but as manager, no thanks.

Mainoldo

Thank the lord someone said it. Why people are so confident in him moving upstairs. Same people probably confident of his managerial ability.

Does he have the nuts to help build a United team. He doesn’t know how to set up chances for a striker.

Status
Not open for further replies.