Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
We use to be a second halve team but now it feels like we’re a first halve team, great dominating first halve just like in the fa cup but then second halves we take our foot of the gas and let the other team create chances and goals. It’s a joke. Can’t see rangnick getting us top 4, which means he won’t be able to use his contacts to get us the players we need next season.

Matt851

Not looking promising

An interim manager requires clarity of thought and a plan that's implementable with the existing players. He appears to possess neither

Most worrying is how he preaches control but hasn't be able to give us anymore control than we did under ole. Playing two up top formations until recently didn't help and not utilising donny (even if he is limited) off the bench also seems silly

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

But spending on £80m on Maguire, £50m on AWB and £73m for Sancho for the legend was fine. feck these people and everyone around them.

I actually hope Ralf leaves before the end of the season and tells it like it is. It seems another upheaval is needed for these greedy bastards to take notice.

Obviously, assuming all this is true.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I'm not sure how much is safe to read into his ability based on his stint here. I get a strong feeling that the general atmosphere from all players and upper management is that they don't give a feck about this season, so there's not a whole lot any manager can do in this situation. I think him being an interim manager just leads to indifferent performances from all. Whether he's actually any good, who knows. I don't think the players are giving him a fair chance and this season will just drift away pointlessly.
Yep, same vibe.

arthurka

I don't know why fans keep repeating this myth i.e., we have poor midfield and Fred and mct is the worst midfield united have ever had. Any true united fan will know that under Fergie we have had much worse, yet we still won a lot. For example, Gibson, o'shea, Anderson, cleverly, posibon, milne, djemba-djemba, klberson and so much more. Mct and Fred aren't close to being our worse midfield ever, yet alone the worse mid in premier league. I rather have mct and Fred over any midfield pairing below the bottom ten premier league team.
Sorry I just don't agree with this. I would take any of them over Fred. Runs around like he's blind and passes like one to. To add insult to injury he cost 50m.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Rangnick cant polish turd. Lets face it our midfield is inferior to most teams in the league.

The amount of times fred got bullied of the ball and gave it away cheaply isn't on rangnick, nor matic being out of steam at half time or sancho not being arsed.

He should have probably made changes in the 60th min and he was at fault for not doing that but other than that not much blame can be put on him.

We looked a better side without the whingers but the team fitness is so shit that it is physically impossible for them to keep it up for 90 mins and the fault lies with the previous manager for allowing fitness levels to stoop so low.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I got to say, there's few things that fecking piss me off more than making a sub in the 89th minute (or thereabouts) when you're losing or drawing a game you really need to be winning. The feck is the point. First of all, Matic should have come off. it was clear as day the guy was spent by the 60th minute. But no, leave him on. I mean, what could go wrong? His substitutes since he's been here have been fecking dog shit.

It's infuriating as a fan when you can see the problem, yet the manager seemingly can't.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I don't know why fans keep repeating this myth i.e., we have poor midfield and Fred and mct is the worst midfield united have ever had. Any true united fan will know that under Fergie we have had much worse, yet we still won a lot. For example, Gibson, o'shea, Anderson, cleverly, posibon, milne, djemba-djemba, klberson and so much more. Mct and Fred aren't close to being our worse midfield ever, yet alone the worse mid in premier league. I rather have mct and Fred over any midfield pairing below the bottom ten premier league team.
Oshea was like prime ronaldinho and makelele rolled into one infront of fred,mct and grandpa matic.

Jezpeza

The last game wasn't 442 either.
well whatever. Last two games have still been poor. My impression so far is the tumescent 442 and the lack of basics still in us. Cant exactly argue that. 4231, 433. Doesnt matter, hes playing tumescent crap

Last edited:

Dazzmondo

I've come to the conclusion that getting any interim manager was an absolutely terrible idea regardless of who it was because the Board have obviously made the ridiculous decision to not buy anyone until they have their new full time manager in place. Makes it even more infuriating that we didn't get Conte. Still had the chance to get top 4 if got investment necessary in Jan and then we could have built on that in the summer to see if we could challenge for the title.

m1tch

There's certainly no evidence so far that anything has changed at the club when it comes to appointing managers. It's been another wild stab in the dark bringing this guy from obscurity (despite all the talk of him being some tactical mastermind inventing the perfect playing style never got him a job at a big club anywhere...) on a 0.5 + 2 year (as what exactly?) deal. I can picture all the back slapping in the United boardroom thinking they'd pulled off a great move, and what we'll end up with is Europa League at best.

We'll be no better off than just giving it Carrick till the end of the season. Although saying that it wouldn't surprise me if he was offered that and turned the job down given he knows how messed up this squad is. You don't want this lots performances on your CV at the beginning of your managerial career do you.

MrSingh2002

The last two games we've been very good for 30 minutes.

Let's see if we can be very good for 45 minutes next time.

Not sure if these players have it in them.

I actually like alot of what Ragnick is doing. Defensively better and I think he could do well with a couple of midfield signings.

The only thing letting him down is late substitutions at the moment. He needs to be more proactive taking players off when it's clear they're tired.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Surely this would be the PERFECT time to bring in players that Rangnick wants, considering that they brought him in mainly for this "consultancy" role, in order to assist them when it comes to bringing in players and managers? Otherwise, just get rid of him now, honestly.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The only thing that's got consistently worse are the leaks from the dressing room.

It sounds like a absolute shit-show in there.

sp_107

Rangnick cant polish turd. Lets face it our midfield is inferior to most teams in the league.

The amount of times fred got bullied of the ball and gave it away cheaply isn't on rangnick, nor matic being out of steam at half time or sancho not being arsed.

He should have probably made changes in the 60th min and he was at fault for not doing that but other than that not much blame can be put on him.

We looked a better side without the whingers but the team fitness is so shit that it is physically impossible for them to keep it up for 90 mins and the fault lies with the previous manager for allowing fitness levels to stoop so low.
Cant explain any better. you put it right. Our midfieled is so soft and it can be over run by any team in the league is pretty bad to be honest

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
I thought we were brilliant in the first half, and I like the type of football we tried to play for both halves. Its attacking football and in control. None of that 6 at the back counter crap we used to see under Ole. I like what he's trying to achieve, thats how we should be playing. Like the first half.

Last edited:

The United

Surely this would be the PERFECT time to bring in players that Rangnick wants, considering that they brought him in mainly for this "consultancy" role, in order to assist them when it comes to bringing in players and managers? Otherwise, just get rid of him now, honestly.
I feel that his consultancy is role nothing but a move by United to get him because we were desperate to get someone in at that point.

It is why I was amused a lot of people here are overhyping his influence on so called restructuring. I doubt the club rated him highly in the first place or had intention to give him that kind of power.

Probably tell you about the club though which is not surprising. If we can't get the right manager this summer, I am not sure how low we will go down again.

Barnslig

I got to say, there's few things that fecking piss me off more than making a sub in the 89th minute (or thereabouts) when you're losing or drawing a game you really need to be winning. The feck is the point. First of all, Matic should have come off. it was clear as day the guy was spent by the 60th minute. But no, leave him on. I mean, what could go wrong? His substitutes since he's been here have been fecking dog shit.

It's infuriating as a fan when you can see the problem, yet the manager seemingly can't.
100% - This has been a theme at United for years though, I have no clue why we do it? Like you said, what is the actual point? In an ideal scenario, what are they expected to do?

I'm starting to think Rangnick for all his bravado and nice words are a bit shite as a manager. He might be an amazing student of the game, and have some crazy good ideas on paper, but just doesn't seem to be translating into actually good football matches. In my opinion, having watched most of the games in the Prem recently, we're maybe not in the worst position in the league, but no other team plays less like a team than us.

sp_107

The last two games we've been very good for 30 minutes.

Let's see if we can be very good for 45 minutes next time.

Not sure if these players have it in them.

I actually like alot of what Ragnick is doing. Defensively better and I think he could do well with a couple of midfield signings.

The only thing letting him down is late substitutions at the moment. He needs to be more proactive taking players off when it's clear they're tired.
Tpotally agreed,

we can get one of --Zakaria / Touchameni / Fabian Ruiz / Haidara / Camara in this window who can improve us a lot, whats the wait? and they wont cost us too much like Rice

allen7

I’m still feeling optimistic about his management. Yeah we were not good today but we were in control for most part of the match except that 15 mins period. Varane and Matic clearly looked tired after 70 mins and can’t find their rhythm that they had earlier.

It’s clear that RR is not allocated funds to sign players so it all comes down to who’s following his instructions and fall in line to execute his tactics within this problematic squad.

If you see the pattern, players are not consistent and up for it. For example, everybody wanted Cavani to start every game until today but they change their opinion after today same goes for others too.

Blame the people who gave huge contract extensions for playing like this.

Eddy_JukeZ

I mean, it's not even a surprise.

The entire coaching staff and the manager are all 2nd rate yet again.

The German Bielsa is an apt comparison.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I feel that his consultancy is role nothing but a move by United to get him because we were desperate to get someone in at that point.

It is why I was amused a lot of people here are overhyping his influence on so called restructuring. I doubt the club rated him highly in the first place or had intention to give him that kind of power.

Probably tell you about the club though which is not surprising. If we can't get the right manager this summer, I am not sure how low we will go down again.
I also get the feeling the consultancy role will not work out. The short-sighted board will look at the performances now and the players being unhappy and will move away from Rangnick. They’ll stick with Murtough and Fletcher, with no experience, like they did with OGS. Having had to coach this group I‘d imagine Ralf will want massive changes (not necessarily massive transfers) and players shipped out and paid to leave. That will probably be too radical for whoever is really making the decisions. The stupid thing is that, in the long run, Ralf being in charge of ins/outs, scouting etc would probably save/make the club hundreds of millions, even if the first couple of years hurt.

Lee565

I mean, it's not even a surprise.

The entire coaching staff and the manager are all 2nd rate yet again.

The German Bielsa is an apt comparison.
It's really not, biesla at least has been continuously managing at club level for the last decade, ragnick has managed about 1 or 2 season in the past decade before taking over as man united manager, the standards at the club are appalling and ironically shows that we need ragnick released of his managerial role and instead fast tracked to his consultancy role asap so that hopefully we can start having some type of coherent vision and strategy for the club.

Eddy_JukeZ

It's really not, biesla at least has been continuously managing at club level for the last decade, ragnick has managed about 1 or 2 season in the past decade before taking over as man united manager, the standards at the club are appalling and ironically shows that we need ragnick released of his managerial role and instead fast tracked to his consultancy role asap so that hopefully we can start having some type of coherent vision and strategy for the club.
The comparison was more-so about their ability.

Neither are top level coaches.

Seij

What was with those 89th-minute subs? Was he trying to waste time so that Villa will let us draw?

Lee565

What was with those 89th-minute subs? Was he trying to waste time so that Villa will let us draw?
He's learned from the master that is ole. Honestly these two last mangers at the club have me preferring to have not seen mourinho sacked at all now and he is on a downward spiral but christ at least he was ruthless with any players that guy got too big for their boots, was not afraid to make substitutions early in matches if needed and knew how to set a team to actually defend a lead.

MichaelRed

I think varane has come for a final pay day. I think Ronaldo, despite his best efforts and no fault of his own and I think he’s done well but he’s killed the group and killed the plan and structure we had going forward with ole. Ole won’t admit it and no one else will and whilst he’s a great finisher still I think he’s killed the group mentality had under ole.
The mentality of losers? Imagine calling Varane a mercenary & Ronaldo a morale killer. Boohoo if some crap players that have never achieved anything get their noses put out of joint. Ole would have got us relegated if we gave him 10 years.

MichaelRed

Sorry to jump in but I’m fairly sure the stats say Ronadlo has wasted the most chances in the league and that’s with Greenwood and Rashford providing very little in the way of creativity. Ronaldo is still a good player, just the wrong player. No issue with him calling out the lads over greedy or lazy play though because it’s true and we probably needed someone to publicly say it
Eh? He has 8 goals from 8.8 xG in the league and 14 goals from 12 xG in all comps for us. He's literally outperforming his xG and being called wasteful with his chances?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Are people actually shocked that he's not a top manager? Look at the clubs he's managwd FFS. We definitely need a really high quality manager in the summer. But until then Rangnick should stick to the system of football that he believes in and just go with players that fit in rather trying to accommodate players.

NZT-One

It’s nothing to do with expectations and we’re better under ole.
We certainly for the most part had slightly better results than these days. But a) its early days for RR and b) based on this year, the results went downhill for Ole as well. Performances were mostly average. Thats why he had to go.

We finished 3rd then 2nd and we had long cup runs to semis or finals in both seasons.
And ended with sweet feck all. We exited the group stages, we went out against Leicester in the cup without putting up a fight. And for all the (undeniable) good results, this years top 4 were better in many key attributes.

We had squad harmony and measured improvement in a vast majority of players.
Measured... good choice of words. Question would be, if we really had any improvements as this year none of it showing at all. So these improvements might as well only be purple patches. Lets see. And harmony is easy, as long as results go your way and you never seem to ruffle any feathers. Look what that brought us: players who complain about being home after dark.

Nothing like the Lampard situation. We added 3 players to the squad then it went to shit. Draw your own conclusions why
I think, it is only one player who really brought some sort of disruption. Sancho is unfortunate to have a bad start, lets hope he gets it together eventually, probably didn't really helped to push him into a team seemingly abandoning the little chemistry that was there last season to bring CR into play.
But the writings were on the wall last season and the season before. We were feeding of scraps xG wise, never really being able to produce chances or preventing them decisively. This just carried over. Add the international tournament and almost everybody losing form, that gets you where we are right now. Certainly it wasn't just the new players.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He is such an average manager.

We were not controlling the midfield yesterday but he didn't change it. Cavani was done in the second half but decided to keep him on whilst taking off one of the better players last night in Elanga.

Tbh, I don't care if he doesn't get money for a transfer - I have a feeling he will target weak ass players that are like Naby Keita at RB Leipzig that turn to shite in the PL.

Xk byno

This is what happens when you keep hiring sh.it. Managers from Moyes down to Ralf rag... After SAF retired klopp was available, even pep took a one year sabbatical leave yet we appointed Moyes and old LVG. conte was available but we went for regressing mourinho. Nangelsmann was available we keep persisting on clueless ole. Conte became available again for the second time we still keep hoping for ole to come good until when the inevitable happens, we went for a man whom we didn't even fancy before for a dof role. This is how we wasted a whole decade.
How sure are we, that this board members will get it right this time?
Please get ETH please.

Status
Not open for further replies.