Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Hes a really really good journalist in my opinion. German posters will know better though.
Honigstein is a great guy. Don't know what this appointment is supposed to be, though, and would be hesitant to believe the veracity of that tweet.

Gurtej

Team is improving but 10 years of mess can’t be sorted in 2 months…..

And I won’t listen to Rio for any footballing insights…… I still remember him asking for a blank cheque for Ole…..

so no thanks….

we need to move forward without listening to likes of Rio, Gary……

HailtotheKing

Hes a really really good journalist in my opinion. German posters will know better though.
Right, so what’s he been brought in to do exactly? Because I don’t think Rangnick has put a foot wrong in terms of his press conferences. He’s just telling it how it is. He’s not gone after the players in my opinion. I hope this isn’t a move from the club because they’re scared of him airing their dirty laundry. It’s good that we know the decision to give Lingard some time off didn’t come from him.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Yeah, I think the fact we had 30 shots and they hardly had a sniff, speaks to some level of improvement. We at least look like we’ve been coached. That wasn’t always the case with Ole.
We had 27 shots against West Ham in the league cup earlier on in the season without our strongest line up.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Agreed there. I’ve always thought he’s the best current/modern journalist. Very good writer and great on broadcasts. Not sure how he’ll help Rangnick/United though.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Right, so what’s he been brought in to do exactly? Because I don’t think Rangnick has put a foot wrong in terms of his press conferences. He’s just telling it how it is. He’s not gone after the players in my opinion. I hope this isn’t a move from the club because they’re scared of him airing their dirty laundry. It’s good that we know the decision to give Lingard some time off didn’t come from him.
That's exactly why he is in, I guess. As much the board deserves every bit of laundry, I don't think they can continue like this. They just won't let it happen. It's a shame, because we fans deserve to know the facts and the board deserves it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I dont think hes done much wrong either but the media have perceived him to be undermined a lot. I think Hogenstein is there to improve his perception to some media folk.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Agreed there. I’ve always thought he’s the best current/modern journalist. Very good writer and great on broadcasts. Not sure how he’ll help Rangnick/United though.
Yeah I agree on him being the best journalist around. He often shows to be more than that though, I find him always put any bias or emotion to one side and deliver a balanced view on all matters.

Max_United

Rio adds next to know insight into the game unless hes talking about a defender or the defense in general.

He is extremely biased and ignorant to coaching methods in my opinion. How anyone can think we haven't changed materially in our play or that Rangnick hasn't improved certain players is just beyond me.

Fred looked better, McTominay had looked more consistent, Dalot and Telles are obvious examples too and he also brought Elanga into the fold.
Yes, also with all due respect to Rio he said things like about AWB "He has all the natural ingredients you’d want in a modern-day full-back" :)

Kudos to him on calling for Ole's dismissal last autumn, but I am curious what he said about our coaching under Ole in late spring 2019 when we were playing crap and losing left, front and center or when were languising midtable over the following Christmas.

Game vs Middelsborough was 11th under Ralf and was the best football we played under him. You can clearly see that players are a lot more comfortable with what they are asked to do than a month ago. Yes, the quality of opposition should be taken into account but the trend is encouraging.

It is absolutely fair to doubt Ralf's credentials or whether he is good enough for a full time job. After all, he does not have a stellar coaching CV (although still considerably better than Ole) and of course he still can fail. But at the moment he is not planned to be a full-time manager and so far with him we are improving, albeit from a low point - and are looking more and more, well, coached and our play a lot more cohesive. Under Ole as interim we played well over first 10 games, then next 5 we did not play well but still got results and then for the last 12 games of the season we were God awful which continued in the following season, whilst players still looking like they never played together before. I do not remember any huge criticism of Ole from former players then, but with Ralf knives were out as soon as he was hired basically.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Comedy gold this is. Everything was always Ole's fault but everytime Ralf has a shite game nothing is ever his fault. Fact is he fielded his best 11 and got knocked out by middleboro and his overall results and performances since taking over have been far from impressive.
To be fair though how on earth can you blame ralf for us losing to Middlesbrough? We dominated the game and the players missed chances left right and centre… Bruno and Ronaldo should of had an hat trick each. That’s on the players not the manager

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
More and more it looks like the Glazers have plumped for 'Yes man' Poch.
He will have more football knowledge than Ole. But will never make waves.

Murtough may have an impressive Resume.
But he is an idiot in how he handled the Lingard situation.
The manager tells players if they can be away or not.
In the end it is the manager's decision.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
More and more it looks like the Glazers have plumped for 'Yes man' Poch.
He will have more football knowledge than Ole. But will never make waves.

Murtough may have an impressive Resume.
But he is an idiot in how he handled the Lingard situation.
The manager tells players if they can be away or not.
In the end it is the manager's decision.
How do we know it was Murtough

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
That's exactly why he is in, I guess. As much the board deserves every bit of laundry, I don't think they can continue like this. They just won't let it happen. It's a shame, because we fans deserve to know the facts and the board deserves it.
The board is in Florida still crying out Brady’s departure from Tampa. They dgaf about Man United.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Can someone explain to me how letting Lingard have time off due to personal reasons is in any way linked to the fecking Glazers? Maybe draw a nice flow chart for me. I see people on here echoing what their idol Goldbridge is saying so I’d love for someone to explain it. Thanks.

Ixion

Can someone explain to me how letting Lingard have time off due to personal reasons is in any way linked to the fecking Glazers? Maybe draw a nice flow chart for me. I see people on here echoing what their idol Goldbridge is saying so I’d love for someone to explain it. Thanks.
Well I don't know what Goldbridge or others have said but I assume its related to Murtough being the one to allow Lingard to have time off and people like him are appointed by those in charge, if we don't have the best people appointed as CEO, on the board, director of football etc. then it's on the Glazers.

Red Dreams

The way the club is run is like a Mom and Pop store.
Its a joke from top to bottom.

Perhaps I should not insult mom and pop stores.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Well I don't know what Goldbridge or others have said but I assume its related to Murtough being the one to allow Lingard to have time off and people like him are appointed by those in charge, if we don't have the best people appointed as CEO, on the board, director of football etc. then it's on the Glazers.
And how do we know Murtaugh isn’t good at his job? And how do we know giving Lingard days off was the wrong thing to do? You know absolutely feck all about the situation.

Ixion

And how do we know Murtaugh isn’t good at his job? And how do we know giving Lingard days off was the wrong thing to do? You know absolutely feck all about the situation.
I mean feel free to look at our results since Murtough became director of football. If you have other evidence that can back up your suggestion he is doing a good job feel free to post it.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
I mean feel free to look at our results since Murtough became director of football. If you have other evidence that can back up your suggestion he is doing a good job feel free to post it.
Well he’s not manager is he so that’s bafflingly shite logic. A DOF looks at the medium to long term. However, he’s been DOF for a year and in that time we’ve finished 2nd and reached a European final so even using your own bafflingly shite logic it still falls down. He’s removed the guy the forum wanted out with pitchforks because he didn’t have nice patterns of play and hired the inventor of gegenpressing this forum went nuts over. We also had a good summer of recruitment. So what’s your issue with what he’s done so far? Other than REPORTEDLY tell Lingard to take a few days off because he didn’t think he was in the right frame of mind to play after the club rightly kept him due to a serious lack of squad depth following the Greenwood situation.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Well, Ralf would have definitely included him the squad and he would have come on given that game went to E.T.

So we do know something from.a game standpoint. Just stop justifying this behavior of the player. Players get taken off the market all the time. Just get on with it, jeez.

Ixion

Well he’s not manager is he so that’s bafflingly shite logic. A DOF looks at the medium to long term. However, he’s been DOF for a year and in that time we’ve finished 2nd and reached a European final so even using your own bafflingly shite logic it still falls down. He’s removed the guy the forum wanted out with pitchforks because he didn’t have nice patterns of play and hired the inventor of gegenpressing this forum went nuts over. We also had a good summer of recruitment. So what’s your issue with what he’s done so far? Other than REPORTEDLY tell Lingard to take a few days off because he didn’t think he was in the right frame of mind to play after the club rightly kept him due to a serious lack of squad depth following the Greenwood situation.
Did we really have a good summer of recruitment? I seem to recall the majority of fans wanting us to sign a defensive midfielder and no one was asking to sign another forward in the final days of the window.

Losing to Villarreal in a Final and then being out of both Cups and the title race by February is a strange thing to want to champion that has happened under his watch.

Ixion

People wanted a DoF model for years and now we finally have one
A DoF should not be picking the squad, that is not what they're supposed to do. Ralf wanting a player in the squad and Murtough telling them to have a few days off is not a good situation

phelans shorts

His job is not to tell players about taking days off.
In the current situation I’d probably be more inclined to go to him if I was a player who had an issue, as I know he’s going to be there next year. Ralf who knows.

Of course we do know that Lingard won’t be here next year, so that factor may not be quite as relevant to him. However we do know that Ralf said he was free to leave and Murtough overruled it, so he’s gone to the person he had issue with (and is also Ralf’s boss).

A weird quirk in this is Ralf going from saying he can go to less than a week later complaining that he was one attacker short because he was there, and it doesn’t really paint Ralf in too good a light for having an actual plan.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
It's just a very strange decision as Ralf wanted Lingard to be in the squad for the match AND Lingard himself posted that he was fully ready for the match.

Why was he given time off then and by who?

Looks like at Man United the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

mu4c_20le

A DoF should not be picking the squad, that is not what they're supposed to do. Ralf wanting a player in the squad and Murtough telling them to have a few days off is not a good situation
His job is not to tell players about taking days off.
Thing is, DoF model is different in various countries, and in some of them the manager is just a head coach who picks the teams and sets the tactics. Murtough doesn't pick the team but he probably gave the player a few extra days off and thus removing him from selection for the coach. I have noi dea how our structure works exactly, but it's probably not too far fetched to expect him to handle most club affairs while RR only does the coaching and matches.

Ixion

Thing is, DoF model is different in various countries, and in some of them the manager is just a head coach who picks the teams and sets the tactics. Murtough doesn't pick the team but he probably gave the player a few extra days off and thus removing him from selection for the coach. I have noi dea how our structure works exactly, but it's probably not too far fetched to expect him to handle most club affairs while RR only does the coaching and matches.
There can be no good scenario where Ralf (or any manager) says they wanted to pick a player but someone else at the club gave them time off and then he has to answer repeated questions about it. It makes him look like a lame duck.

Red Dreams

Think about what you just posted.

The team selection until the last moment is the managers job. Not anyone else.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
In the pre-match press conference, Rangnick said "he asked me and the club whether he could have a few days to clear his head". So he definitively sounded like he gave his ok, or at least didn't mind. Now all of a sudden he had nothing to do with it and would have loved Lingard in the squad. The thing is, these things are not really contradictions if you look at it closely, yet Rangnick is simply irritating for the people he deals with in his communications because he's so carefree in portaying things that involve not just him but also other people, it's not really a new phenomenon.
Then again, it's really not that big of a deal who exactly gave Lingard a couple of days off since obviously everyone was ok with it beforehand.

mu4c_20le

There can be no good scenario where Ralf (or any manager) says they wanted to pick a player but someone else at the club gave them time off and then he has to answer repeated questions about it. It makes him look like a lame duck.
Ralf only said that when pressed by the journalist, and given the result, it was obviously not a great decision to make. Had we blown them away in regular time, this would not even be a discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.