Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Pretty much. I said it last night, our ridiculous (lack of) recruitment last summer was exposed badly against Atletico. Rangnick’s hands were tied.
Its the product of many, many years of idiotic recruitment but particularly the last two summers. Its not like the need to replace Carrick is a new issue.

For me, last summer actually wasn't the issue it was the summer before. We went into last season having bought Van de Beek, Pellisti, Telles, Cavani and Amad. That's a lot of investment and I'm not sure any of it was absolutely needed.

For sure, the limited minutes Van de Beek got could've been given to Lingard, Mata or others. Cavani, yes, last year big impact. This season? He clearly isn't feeling it, not even making matchday squads. Telles, yeah, good player. Pellisti and Amad, kids, maybes.

If we'd have had a more structured, better thoughts through window before last season, we'd be much better equipped now. Why did we spend £40m on Van de Beek when we could've bought a #6? We don't need Joshua Kimmich. Just someone who can do what Matic does twice a week without getting gassed. There are players in world football who could've helped us. I still can't work out why we seem to have settled on £100m Declan Rice or nothing.

Kag

Its the product of many, many years of idiotic recruitment but particularly the last two summers. Its not like the need to replace Carrick is a new issue.

For me, last summer actually wasn't the issue it was the summer before. We went into last season having bought Van de Beek, Pellisti, Telles, Cavani and Amad. That's a lot of investment and I'm not sure any of it was absolutely needed.

For sure, the limited minutes Van de Beek got could've been given to Lingard, Mata or others. Cavani, yes, last year big impact. This season? He clearly isn't feeling it, not even making matchday squads. Telles, yeah, good player. Pellisti and Amad, kids, maybes.

If we'd have had a more structured, better thoughts through window before last season, we'd be much better equipped now. Why did we spend £40m on Van de Beek when we could've bought a #6? We don't need Joshua Kimmich. Just someone who can do what Matic does twice a week without getting gassed. There are players in world football who could've helped us. I still can't work out why we seem to have settled on £100m Declan Rice or nothing.
Fair points. Van de Beek is a tricky one. I think we bought him in the knowledge that Bruno couldn’t play every game and that Pogba was very likely to leave much sooner than he has done. Herrera had just left, too. Pogba staying and Van de Beek struggling to make any sort of impression put a spanner in the works.

Agree re. a defensive midfielder, though. Lunacy that we haven’t invested there. Yet again we’re going to enter another summer in which we’re playing catch up due to poor planning. It’s laughable, really.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I love Ralf. Should give him the role until the end of next season and let him be involved in the hiring process of the next manager.

Boavista

Sometimes you also just have to give credit to the opposition team. That first half by Atletico was very good, not sure United have faced that kind of physicality and pressure so far this season. On the other hand, while some say playing Fernandes and Pogba in central midfield simply doesn't work, you should really expect players of their quality to be able to control the ball and handle that kind of pressure situation better.

captaincantona

Sometimes you also just have to give credit to the opposition team. That first half by Atletico was very good, not sure United have faced that kind of physicality and pressure so far this season. On the other hand, while some say playing Fernandes and Pogba in central midfield simply doesn't work, you should really expect players of their quality to be able to control the ball and handle that kind of pressure situation better.
They stopped pressing almost immediately after the goal. Not sure what you mean by that. Athletico were shite. Completely shite. Surrendered possession and we really just were awful in trying to exploit it.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
When he makes changes from the bench, things happen.

The man with the Midas touch :devil:
Bit of a mixed bag as he should have made some decisions from the start (Elanga for Rashford), while other changes were absolutely the right call at the right time (Matic for half an hour).

I hope that he will further improve in this regard as he now has seen a lot of players in different circumstances.

Boavista

They stopped pressing almost immediately after the goal. Not sure what you mean by that. Athletico were shite. Completely shite. Surrendered possession and we really just were awful in trying to exploit it.
They started dropping deeper halfway through the first half, but still looked physically dominant. Anyway agree to disagree, but I was impressed with their first half performance, less so with their second.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
that’s why i said there is an improvement. But i am still not over the moon with what im seeing
with you on that but I think it's quite hard to work with a squad you had no part in building, people you've probably never even seen play. My point was the Ole years were all smoke and mirrors

wolvored

We have to remember that Griezmann also hit the bar so we could have been having a different discussionn about the performance and result. Lets not kid ourselves that was a masterstroke of subs, it was neccessity as if he hadnt have done it he would have been slated by everyone.

captaincantona

They started dropping deeper halfway through the first half, but still looked physically dominant. Anyway agree to disagree, but I was impressed with their first half performance, less so with their second.
Yeah fair enough. I have watched a lot of Athletico and la liga over the years. They are not what they once were under Simone. They are there for the taking. God help us if we came up against a classic Simone side. That was tame from them to the point I couldn’t believe the easy ride they gave us.

mctrials23

I still think there is very little we can deduce about RR based on this season.

He tried to press, realised our players were fantastically unfit and unwilling to work. Sacked that off rapidly.

Hes being "encouraged" to play certain players as much as possible to the detriment of the team. He doesn't have many other options in those positions.

He has basically got to prioritise top 4 over anything else so even decisions that are going to backfire in the medium-term must be taken to ensure short term success.

Last night showed us just how poor we are against any decent side. I think the games against the better teams in the league will put us back in our place somewhat.

Tap

Yeah fair enough. I have watched a lot of Athletico and la liga over the years. They are not what they once were under Simone. They are there for the taking. God help us if we came up against a classic Simone side. That was tame from them to the point I couldn’t believe the easy ride they gave us.
Really would like to know what happened to Atl Madrid this season. They are inconsistent and leak lots of goals this year.

Is it Simeone trying to implement a new playing style, injuries to key players, loss of form or motivation after winning the league last season?

captaincantona

Really would like to know what happened to Atl Madrid this season. They are inconsistent and leak lots of goals this year.

Is it Simeone trying to implement a new playing style, injuries to key players, loss of form or motivation after winning the league last season?
I’m not an Athletico fan so can’t speak with any authority, just have all the sports channels and time when the kids go to bed! so if any athleti fans want to put me straight......but from what I have seen Simone is chopping and changing the formation more especially before Xmas. Maybe it was trying to progress the approach due to the fact that reigning Champions shouldn’t really sit so compact and should come out and dominate games. New stadium - always a factor but it looked rocking last night. They look very beatable all of a sudden and that was the one thing they never were under Simone previously.

JoaquinJoaquin

We have to remember that Griezmann also hit the bar so we could have been having a different discussionn about the performance and result. Lets not kid ourselves that was a masterstroke of subs, it was neccessity as if he hadnt have done it he would have been slated by everyone.
To be fair, that would of probably been ruled offside

CloneMC16

Hes being "encouraged" to play certain players as much as possible to the detriment of the team.
Based on what? I see so many people say that he's being asked to play certain players. There is zero evidence that this is happening. The players that you expect to get benched are favoured by our managers. They think that they're good players/the best they have available/offer something others don't. The only player that there could potentially be external pressure to play is Ronaldo. I'm sure there are way more eyes on the team when he plays. No other player has that power in this squad.

Rangnick has stopped us conceding multiple goals every other match, and lessened the amount of chances on our goal. This was the biggest problem under Ole. It was the first thing that had to be fixed. There has been clear progression in these areas. Chance creation has also gone up. It was awful yesterday, but it's been better in our past few matches.

I didn't like the starting team, but his subs worked again. Since he messed up in the Villa game, his in game management has been much improved. He learnt a lot from that match. There isn't much more he could have done with the midfield. Fred shouldn't play as a #6. Pogba and Bruno shouldn't start together as #8's against any good team. We've seen this fail too many times. They lose the ball too much. Without McTominay, he didn't have much choice. Matic cannot do it any more. Especially not against a good team for 60+ minutes. He did the job well in the 30 minutes he got. That's the most we should expect from him.

The squad is missing a good #6, and too many of these players keep making individual errors that any manager is going to find hard to get positive results. Giving the ball away half of the time they get it. Putting in diabolical crosses. Not tracking runners. Overcommitting and getting beaten. These players just aren't as good as we wish they were.

Judas

Open to offers
He used the bench well, but nothing I saw yesterday makes me any more confident or positive we will get the results we need in the next few months. Not that it’s all his fault, he clearly has a plan, but these players just look clueless so often.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He used the bench well, but nothing I saw yesterday makes me any more confident or positive we will get the results we need in the next few months. Not that it’s all his fault, he clearly has a plan, but these players just look clueless so often.
Yup. I get that Ralf has tied hands in terms of coaching stuff, transfers and influence on the board, but If the language of football won't change even a bit we'll be for another penalty shootout vs Spanish team.

Eplel

That first half by Atletico was very good, not sure United have faced that kind of physicality and pressure so far this season.

Hit the nail in the head. Atletico is like playing Stoke, but with good players.

Atheist

Griezmann was offside though.

Witchking

Griezmann was offside though.
Was he? Didn't feel like he was.

But i will not blame Ralf for the players just acting as if they all have met each other for the first time. The goal they scored was a brilliant cross and a brilliant header. The main issue was how we kept possession within our half with the defenders just playing to each other. That shows that the midfield was acting cowardly and not making any sort of runs or coming out to get the ball. No manager will teach you to stay static. The payers were scared to lose the ball, hence never showed up to ask for it. Pogba after 3 good games again has a nightmare. Not sure if he knows how to play a first time pass and he keeps the ball way too long and gets dispossessed. Bruno probably had his worst game for United. If we win at OT, any other team will spank us.

cyberman

Was he? Didn't feel like he was.

But i will not blame Ralf for the players just acting as if they all have met each other for the first time. The goal they scored was a brilliant cross and a brilliant header. The main issue was how we kept possession within our half with the defenders just playing to each other. That shows that the midfield was acting cowardly and not making any sort of runs or coming out to get the ball. No manager will teach you to stay static. The payers were scared to lose the ball, hence never showed up to ask for it. Pogba after 3 good games again has a nightmare. Not sure if he knows how to play a first time pass and he keeps the ball way too long and gets dispossessed. Bruno probably had his worst game for United. If we win at OT, any other team will spank us.
To be fair that passing killed Atleticos pressing and pushed them back a bit. They were getting so much joy in the first 20 minutes by pressing our midfield but a few mundane passes put a stop to that

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
They wanted to counter press us and hit us on the break and it nearly worked a few times. The subs changed the game and we got lucky Greizmann hit the bar. Our goal was against the run of play.

romufc

Based on what? I see so many people say that he's being asked to play certain players. There is zero evidence that this is happening. The players that you expect to get benched are favoured by our managers. They think that they're good players/the best they have available/offer something others don't. The only player that there could potentially be external pressure to play is Ronaldo. I'm sure there are way more eyes on the team when he plays. No other player has that power in this squad.
Oh no, you are asking people to prove their narrative? This isnt going to happen, he probably read it on twitter from Mark Goldbridge and thinks its true.

I dont understand anyone who actually thinks RR will be told to play certain player and formations. I guarantee you, an interim would NOT carry on in the job if someone told them who to start and who not to.

captaincantona

They wanted to counter press us and hit us on the break and it nearly worked a few times. The subs changed the game and we got lucky Greizmann hit the bar. Our goal was against the run of play.
Yeah no doubt. But they didn’t...couldn’t believe how poor they were. That was an opportunity.

johanovic

I like RR as he seems a straight shooter to me and the way he called out most of the players by compairing them to the effort Elanga gives was great. It´s obvious that the players are the problem and the performances yesterday highlight that. Hopefully RR will move upstairs this summer and Ten Hag takes over as our new manager. For me RR is clearing house and do Henderson, Bailly,Jones,Mata,Matic,VDB,Martial have a future here? Is it not given that Cavani, Pogba, Lingard are leaving on a free? Greenwood is surely done as a United player and what about Rashford? Rashford is playing like he´s lost all interest and can not be botherd to make an effort. Is the fact facing RR, Fletcher and Murtough that there is a complete rebuild needed? If I look at this squad and try to estimate it:

Core players: De Gea, Varane, Bruno, Sancho, McTominay
Squad players: Maguire, Shaw, Lindelof, Fred, Heaton
Promising youngsters: Elanga, Garner,Shoretire, Hannibal, Mengi, Amad, Pellistri
Not good enough: Rashford, Jones, Dalot, Telles, AWB, B.Williams, Tuanzebe, Pereira
Contract expiring: Cavani, Pogba, Lingard
Wanting out: Ronaldo? Martial, DVB, Henderson, Bailly
Age factor: Mata, Matic
Other reasons: Greenwood

RR has the experince as a DOF to reshape this club and hopefully the owners realise that. It´s so wrong that this squad is the most expensive in salary cost in this modern football world. We will lose 3 players on free transfers + possibly 5 to 15 players either wanting out, age catching up with them or just not good enough to be a United player.

And as sad it is to say it when you compare this to the Liverpool squad it´s just staggering how far away as a squad we are. They are not carrying passangers and their squad has been built with a clear vision. And it pains me to say that not a lot of our squad would get into a XI either with Liverpool players, City, Chelsea and Bayern to name a few. It´s just a hard cold fact that we have a squad nowhere near being good enough to win anything.

romufc

I don't get the over praising of a manager saying we played badly. Imagine him calling out players by comparing Elanga, yet he as the manager, knowing this for weeks still decides to start Rashford in a big game.

RR can be honest but lets be honest he got it wrong with Lindelof and Rashford last night.

Stacks

top manager.

We have a tough March coming up.
But I have faith in Ralf.
he's really not and has one of the most uninspiring CV's in football
that’s all good and it is an improvement indeed although we had a relatively easy run of games (nothing is easy for us anymore, but relatively easy). But performances are still very shaky and we have now started a series of tough matches. This is the real test now.
100%
I want Ragnick to stay and become full time. I love his man management. The truth is most of the squad is straight knackered. Lets see what he can do with youngsters if he can bring some in from Europe. We gave Ole 3 Years of our man utd life...so im willing to give him Two.
you must be his missus. He is not deserving of a top management job and has never had one. Why do unsuccessful managers get a gig at Utd?
I love Ralf. Should give him the role until the end of next season and let him be involved in the hiring process of the next manager.
why?

Stacks

I still think there is very little we can deduce about RR based on this season.

He tried to press, realised our players were fantastically unfit and unwilling to work. Sacked that off rapidly.

Hes being "encouraged" to play certain players as much as possible to the detriment of the team. He doesn't have many other options in those positions.

He has basically got to prioritise top 4 over anything else so even decisions that are going to backfire in the medium-term must be taken to ensure short term success.

Last night showed us just how poor we are against any decent side. I think the games against the better teams in the league will put us back in our place somewhat.
where I am at

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Shocking team selection. Players looked even more confused than usual about what they were supposed to be doing. He basically chose a team to play 3 at the back such that the weakness of the midfield would be covered for to some extent and then... didn't play 3 at the back. Genius.

The number of times we have 1 guy in midfield getting pressed by 2 or 3 opposition midfielders and everyone else 20-30 yards away from the ball is quite impressive. A midfield of Fred, Pogba and Bruno with Lindelof at RB FFS. What a mug. At least he somewhat corrected it with the subs but you can't afford to make mistakes like that against CL teams, it was atrocious. Very lucky to come away with what was a decent result in the end.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
He’s doing a good job, and I’d be interested to see how he can further mould and develop the squad if he’s given some funds in the summer.

Secondly, he has a clear style/method of playing so would be good to have him move upstairs and hire someone that can further develop that style rather than hitting the reset button.

CloneMC16

Oh no, you are asking people to prove their narrative? This isnt going to happen, he probably read it on twitter from Mark Goldbridge and thinks its true.

I dont understand anyone who actually thinks RR will be told to play certain player and formations. I guarantee you, an interim would NOT carry on in the job if someone told them who to start and who not to.
It's one of the stupid conspiracy theories that he keeps pedalling. Our fans need to accept that Ole and Ralf see something in the players that they think are bad. They're not going to play players that they believe are going to lose us games. Ralf has also benched/subbed off practically all of our players at some point. The only player that always plays is De Gea.

Rangnick does not seem like the type of guy that will accept bullshit. He would 100% quit if he was asked to manage us in a way that he didn't agree with.

MinGin

I was under the impression that his teams play a high intensity pressing style of football. I dont see that and there really should be signs of that style by now. Disappointed with that tbh.
Then you should ask the players why they cannot play a high intensity pressing style of football which RR promoted this style in every team he managed in the past and it worked in his every managed team except Manutd.

Witchking

To be fair that passing killed Atleticos pressing and pushed them back a bit. They were getting so much joy in the first 20 minutes by pressing our midfield but a few mundane passes put a stop to that
We just were afraid which is what Ralf said. He was pissed with that performance. We should be putting a stop to their pressing with our incisive passing which we didn't do. We should have made them chase the ball, pass in difficult areas for them to break their formation but we helped them by not doing any of that. The midfield yesterday needs to take the blame for the way we played. We did not play top quality football. The first half and a bit of the second was like some lower league team against a world class opponent just trying not to lose by many goals.

romufc

It's one of the stupid conspiracy theories that he keeps pedalling. Our fans need to accept that Ole and Ralf see something in the players that they think are bad. They're not going to play players that they believe are going to lose us games. Ralf has also benched/subbed off practically all of our players at some point. The only player that always plays is De Gea.

Rangnick does not seem like the type of guy that will accept bullshit. He would 100% quit if he was asked to manage us in a way that he didn't agree with.
Agreed. I know the its all about glazer out and what not but its quite funny how a less experienced manager in Ole was allowed to pick his team and what not but an experienced coach is not allowed. Make sense of that will you?

Then there is another conspiracy that Fletcher is picking the team. I mean if people opened their eyes, they would know its complete bullshit. Why would you hire someone and pay them if you will pick the team? Aren't Glazers all about saving money?

Status
Not open for further replies.