Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattofManchester

Bullshit. We were actually 7th and only 6 points behind top 4. We didn't need to hit title winning form to get it, we just needed to beat the teams we are expected to beat. We have the best squad outside the top 3. It was definitely expected of us to get top 4 when we hired Rangnick and had such an easy fixture list coming up. And regarding the squad, HE decided to loan out our squad players, it was his decision. He's been pretty awful considering the hard sell everyone was given when he was appointed. Somehow this place think he's done a good job in it's desperation to accept mediocrity.
Somehow this place seems to get more delusional by the minute.

Interval

Level
We didn't have problems scoring goals before Ralf came in.

His job was not to create a new Philosophy or to create a new playing style. His job was to get the best out of the players for 6 months until the end of the season when we bring in our new manager. He has failed miserably so far and we haven't even played the top teams yet.

His appointment has been a complete disaster. Looking forward to seeing him go as soon as possible, our forward players have zero confidence under him.
I know people are shitting on this and maybe he did take it too far but he isn’t wrong.

The primary job of an interim is to get the best of out Of the current lot to finish as high as possible. Our problems don’t disappear but we needed someone who could paper over the cracks and get the interim target that was top 4.

now you could argue that if that was the case then a Director of football who hasn’t coached for a while wasn’t the answer. Maybe. But still he hasn’t really worked wonders with what he had. He’s done a middling job.

what he has done well with is instilling some semblance of style to our play and purpose. And I’m happy with just that. Might help the next manager might not. But that’s about it.

CraftySoAndSo

His job was not to create a new Philosophy or to create a new playing style. His job was to get the best out of the players for 6 months until the end of the season when we bring in our new manager. He has failed miserably so far and we haven't even played the top teams yet.

His appointment has been a complete disaster. Looking forward to seeing him go as soon as possible, our forward players have zero confidence under him.
Numbers show he is the worst manager since Sir Alex retired.

I can't understand what the hell people see in his work.

We are obviously going to be better than the worst teams on the league in most games in any relevant period of time. That's not something increadible, and something we should praise.

Until now he has mediocre results and if we strugle tomorrow he is over.
You do realize you're not allowed to have two accounts. That's a bannable offence around here.

Greck

Bullshit. We were actually 7th and only 6 points behind top 4. We didn't need to hit title winning form to get it, we just needed to beat the teams we are expected to beat. We have the best squad outside the top 3. It was definitely expected of us to get top 4 when we hired Rangnick and had such an easy fixture list coming up. And regarding the squad, HE decided to loan out our squad players, it was his decision. He's been pretty awful considering the hard sell everyone was given when he was appointed. Somehow this place think he's done a good job in it's desperation to accept mediocrity.
Expectations from whom? The board? The same board that pulled the trigger late on Ole's sacking and made salvaging the season harder? Also unless I'm mistaken we were 8th points behind but in any case an "expectation" to make up a 6-8 points deficit is daft or we wouldn't be in that situation in the first place. Were we supposed to just fix our issues overnight? He wasn't even given reinforcements in the transfer market so what kind of expectations are they? Then the loans came because the daft squad hoarding of the previous manager caused an untenable dressing room situation. They had to be allowed moves to fix the morale problem.

Many of us wanted to see a revolution in our style of play and were okay with whatever results it would take to get there. Some of those threads are still on the site. A common theme was creating a foundation for the next manager, I wouldn't pay mind to whatever daft elements made the top 4 their only metric. An interim not even in the run for permanent manager by july was supposedly expected to erase a 2-3 game deficit like the teams above us would simply oblige us and leak enough points to help us because we hired a new manager.

Last edited:

crossy1686

career ending

This might be one of the worst takes I've ever seen. Can only assume the poster hasn't watched United before or during Ralf's interim stint at all and bases their opinions solely on the pressers.

Atheist

Next time someone claims “I’m okay with bad results if we end up playing good football”, don’t believe that BS. If you read this thread, that was never in good faith. Expecting gains without pains is very naive.

Wilt

City v Utd

First game since RR became manager where Utd are not the pre-match favourite to win.

PoTMS

Expectations from whom? The board? The same board that pulled the trigger late on Ole's sacking and made salvaging the season harder? Also unless I'm mistaken we were 8th points behind but in any case an "expectation" to make up a 6-8 points deficit is daft or we wouldn't be in that situation in the first place. Were we supposed to just fix our issues overnight? He wasn't even given reinforcements in the transfer market so what kind of expectations are they? Then the loans came because the daft squad hoarding of the previous manager caused an untenable dressing room situation. They had to be allowed moves to fix the morale problem.

Many of us wanted to see a revolution in our style of play and were okay with whatever results it would take to get there. Some of those threads are still on the site. A common theme was creating a foundation for the next manager, I wouldn't pay mind to whatever daft elements made the top 4 their only metric. An interim not even in the run for permanent manager by july was supposedly expected to erase a 2-3 game deficit like the teams above us would simply oblige us and leak enough points to help us because we hired a new manager.
Expecting to catch up 6-8 points in 20-25 games is seen as daft or unrealistic or "title winning form", when the opposition is West Ham, Arsenal and Tottenham? Feck me, the expectations have truly hit the floor at United. And creating foundations for the next manager - now where have I heard this one before? You don't do rebuilds with interim managers who are only in the job for 6 months, especially ones who have proven very little on the big stage. He's known for his gegenpress but we gave that up after 45 minutes. The sole target of this season was to salvage top 4 and get a trophy and we will do neither under Rangnick.

Greck

Expecting to catch up 6-8 points in 20-25 games is seen as daft or unrealistic or "title winning form", when the opposition is West Ham, Arsenal and Tottenham? Feck me, the expectations have truly hit the floor at United. And creating foundations for the next manager - now where have I heard this one before? You don't do rebuilds with interim managers who are only in the job for 6 months, especially ones who have proven very little on the big stage. He's known for his gegenpress but we gave that up after 45 minutes. The sole target of this season was to salvage top 4 and get a trophy and we will do neither under Rangnick.
Creating foundation for style of play isn't the same as a rebuild. Where did yo even pull "rebuild" from? Plus if it's unreasonable to expect an unproven interim manager to lay foundations for a progressive style of play how is it suddenly reasonable to expect him to win a trophy? Why didn't you adjust your expectations to the manager you described in the bolded? So let's just make up 6-8 points gap like the reasons we fell that far out of top 4 in december suddenly stopped existing. Like we are also going to stop dropping points after weakening the team?

Anustart89

Next time someone claims “I’m okay with bad results if we end up playing good football”, don’t believe that BS. If you read this thread, that was never in good faith. Expecting gains without pains is very naive.
I was of that opinion and I stand by it.

It’s really a matter of asking yourself whether we’d be more successful with three years of Rangnick doing the recruitment or with Ole doing another three years here.

Bad football with results leads nowhere in the medium to long term while good football without results eventually leads to results (with financial support).

wise_old_man

You do realize Rangnick's "main dish" is his following 2 years of consultancy, right? Having hand-on experience with the squad while being interim will provide him a realistic view. I see no harm in that.

I actually prefer this scenario rather than hiring a dinosaur like Conte and scraping top 4, with defensive football. That's what we had in mind with Mourinho. Why go through it again?

Or you prefer the old model of one big manager in charge of everything like Fergie, instead of a modern football structure with a board of people?

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I was of that opinion and I stand by it.

It’s really a matter of asking yourself whether we’d be more successful with three years of Rangnick doing the recruitment or with Ole doing another three years here.

Bad football with results leads nowhere in the medium to long term while good football without results eventually leads to results (with financial support).
If Rangnick were able to build a league winning team, you'd think he'd have done it at some point in his decades long career

ShinjiNinja26

Absolute garbage.

Anustart89

If Rangnick were able to build a league winning team, you'd think he'd have done it at some point in his decades long career
Yeah because it's not like the league where he's mainly worked has some sort of financial and sporting juggernaut that's won 90% of available league titles in the last 600 years.

I mean, it's not that I'm saying that Rangninck at the helm is going to guarantee league titles for Manchester United, but to suggest that he's shite because he hasn't managed to build a team to usurp Bayern is a shite take.

Interval

Level
Again. Too soon to say. But I like what I have seen against City bar the goal. I’m just happy with the fact that there seems to be a purpose to play in a coherent system again.

Edit: this was before Sancho goal

Shunty

Supports
Man it’s
Just like to say whatever happens today and this season that this has nothing at all to do with ralf he has this season tried his best with both arms tied behind his back. It’s the recruitment and players that are sh1t nothing to do with him. I pray he stays on and becomes director of football.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Yeah because it's not like the league where he's mainly worked has some sort of financial and sporting juggernaut that's won 90% of available league titles in the last 600 years.

I mean, it's not that I'm saying that Rangninck at the helm is going to guarantee league titles for Manchester United, but to suggest that he's shite because he hasn't managed to build a team to usurp Bayern is a shite take.
In fact, Rangnick is the one who worked at clubs who had the advantage of billionaire backing over competitors adhering to 50+1. So nope, the money argument doesn't work. Zorc and Klopp managed to do it. Magath managed to do it. It's not impossible. Rangnick has done a lot of good things, but managing and building trophy winning teams isn't part of it.

Kazi

Playing the 4-2-4-0 formation Barcelona used to play when they had Messi and Fabregas as “centre forwards”

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We should have employed him a long time ago as a coach/DoF. Pretty confident we would have been in a better place.
He knows how a team should play. He might not be an elite coach but he would have made sure we hired one to implement a philosophy.

SER19

We look a different side to the home game. By no means perfect and we need to be aiming far higher than this, but we look composed on ball. Cant help but feel that with a better spine of this team, he'd be doing far better. You cant play a side like city with the spine we have, and you cant blame the manager for a criminal chance conversion rate.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If it's not ten Hag, retain him and trust him to clean up the squad. If it is ten Hag, have Rangnick by his side to help weed out the problems. He has clearly prepared the team well with the right hand tied behind his back what with being an interim, and the left too what with no support in January when it comes to midfield.

Acquire Me

I would love to see Rangnick with some of his own signings. I think he has done very good.

Our defending is letting us down time after time, but with a proper window, that can change.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Done a solid job so far. Transfers like Ronaldo fecked us.
You look at this squad and realise there was absolutely no strategy in building it.
The squad is not designed to play any particular style of football. Just sign a bunch of percieved good olayers and let them play.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
In fact, Rangnick is the one who worked at clubs who had the advantage of billionaire backing over competitors adhering to 50+1. So nope, the money argument doesn't work. Zorc and Klopp managed to do it. Magath managed to do it. It's not impossible. Rangnick has done a lot of good things, but managing and building trophy winning teams isn't part of it.
You're talking about Leipzig and Hoffenheim, who came from absolutely nothing and both managed to get into CL positions very quickly. And you're calling that a failure while comparing it to an established big German club like Dortmund, who had the additional advantage of having (one of) the best German coach(es) of the last two decades.

There is no reason to praise Rangnick into high heaven, but you're really going out of your way to shit on him rather often in this thread.

Irwin99

Interesting set up and not a bad performance in the first half so far but let down by individual quality.

I like him but I’m still not sure he’ll get us top 4

tjb

If it's not ten Hag, retain him and trust him to clean up the squad. If it is ten Hag, have Rangnick by his side to help weed out the problems. He has clearly prepared the team well with the right hand tied behind his back what with being an interim, and the left too what with no support in January when it comes to midfield.
We did this with Ole and LVG to an extent. He's not the future, there are lots of good managers that if supported properly can do wonders. We don't always have to stick with what we have. It's the reason we still have a terrible midfield.

SER19

I would love to see Rangnick with some of his own signings. I think he has done very good.

Our defending is letting us down time after time, but with a proper window, that can change.
I really agree. Our results are obviously not good enough at all but hes very composed and I have the impression he's identified those clearly not good enough and has the balls to say so come summer time. Hes stuck with what he has now but 4 out and 4 in, with rangnicks say so, and I think we'd be far better. No chance does he start AWB, Maguire next season for example.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
You're talking about Leipzig and Hoffenheim, who came from absolutely nothing and both managed to get into CL positions very quickly. And you're calling that a failure while comparing it to an established big German club like Dortmund, who had the additional advantage of having (one of) the best German coach(es) of the last two decades.

There is no reason to praise Rangnick into high heaven, but you're really going out of your way to shit on him rather often in this thread.
Stating simple facts is not "going out of my way to shit on him". The whole forum is ripe with expectations of Rangnick to deliver things he has never delivered, and which he isn't even in a position to deliver. Pointing that out should be fair game, no?

By the way, if anything you're going out of your way to mischaracterize my post, claiming that I speak of "failure" which I never did. And Dortmund were on the brink of bankruptcy when Klopp took over.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Stating simple facts is not "going out of my way to shit on him". The whole forum is ripe with expectations of Rangnick to deliver things he has never delivered, and which he isn't even in a position to deliver. Pointing that out should be fair game, no?
But as I said, they're not simple facts. It's a value judgement based on an unfair comparison.

Anustart89

I know that the clubs Rangnick worked at were backed by money-men, but a quick google reveals that Hoffenheim's record transfer still stands at €14m, and Leipzig's at €30m with the second most expensive being €22m. I mean, hardly like they've done a City and spend £50m on six different full-backs, is it?

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I know that the clubs Rangnick worked at were backed by money-men, but a quick google reveals that Hoffenheim's record transfer still stands at €14m, and Leipzig's at €30m with the second most expensive being €22m. I mean, hardly like they've done a City and spend £50m on six different full-backs, is it?
No, and it's not that Rangnick didn't do good DoF work at those clubs. It's just not the kind of work that would naturally be regarded as transferable to make Man United win the Premier League, or be in a position to win it, which is the task at hand.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
We did this with Ole and LVG to an extent. He's not the future, there are lots of good managers that if supported properly can do wonders. We don't always have to stick with what we have. It's the reason we still have a terrible midfield.
I'm of the opinion that Ole has no idea, so a terrible comparison. I just don't want us to half ass it in the summer, I want to pursue progressive style of football and to see players not capable booted out the door.

Conor

By the way, if anything you're going out of your way to mischaracterize my post, claiming that I speak of "failure" which I never did. And Dortmund were on the brink of bankruptcy when Klopp took over.
Can you cite some of these expectations, because I'm not sure I've seen any claims further than he could have us playing nice, attacking football and challenging at the top of the league with time to sign players. I haven't seen anyone say he's going to be the next Klopp.

I don't want him as a long term manager, but you seem to think everyone reckons he could have us doing the treble next year, when I've never seen that opinion anywhere.

evil_geko

Ralf did good with what he has, I am pleased with performance in many parts of that match.

Status
Not open for further replies.