Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irwin99

Missed this yesterday, and some people think it's Ralf's fault.....it's the players, they don't give a feck, they don't give a feck about him or his instructions because he won't be there in the summer and they don't give a feck about the club. If anything I hope ETH gives Ralf the #2 spot.

They downed tools for Jose, Ole and now Ralf......there's some toxic personalities and he (ETH) needs to weed them out.

That's the thing for me ...do the players that are actually staying want the indignity of playing Europa or conference level football next season? Because i'm not seeing a lot of effort to avoid that fate. I know Everton are fighting for their lives and Leicester have some good players and if they were hard fought games you'd say 'fair enough', but Jesus.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
The problem is, without doubt, the playing squad. However, it's also beyond any doubt that Rangnick has not been even nearly good enough. Clearly suited more to the role upstairs.

clarkydaz

That's the thing for me ...do the players that are actually staying want the indignity of playing Europa or conference level football next season? Because i'm not seeing a lot of effort to avoid that fate. I know Everton are fighting for their lives and Leicester have some good players and if they were hard fought games you'd say 'fair enough', but Jesus.
it seems fame and fortune being a man united player nowadays is enough. matchday fallout is a small price to pay when there is little accountability. Fancy a new contract?

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Long term, the current Celtic manager is the one to keep an eye on.

If he can have a couple of decent seasons in Europe, a few big clubs will after him.

Zen86

That isn’t the ‘bigger picture’. That’s called excuses, straw clutching, and wishful thinking.

R'hllor

Shame, he had chance to stick to his guns and go full radical on those pricks, instead he bailed to adapt to players he inherited because supposedly thats what good managers do, feck off.

m1tch

Agree with the sentiment but think its unfair to put them in this situation. These players need to take all the bullets to the end, next season give the youth a fresh slate
Yeah fair point, I just thought we could offer something to the new manager in terms of a glimpse of what some of the squad could offer in the future. At least give Phil Jones a few starts!

Maybe we can give the young players 15 minute run outs at the end of the remaining games though, that shouldn't scar them too much and maybe pick the fans up a bit by seeing someone desperate to do well.

edgecutter

If he can have a couple of decent seasons in Europe, a few big clubs will after him.
You'll be made fun of for suggesting someone from Celtic, and I got the same abuse from United fans years ago when I said Van Djk would be worth a shout for 14 million when he was at Celtic.

Xtrmntr

He has 1 job. Pass on the information about this mostly useless squad to the permanent manager so they don't have to spend 12 months "giving everyone a chance"

Ahmer Baig

My only problem with him is not playing kids. Knowing how atrocious and lazy the players are just give chance to kids and see who are cut out for PL. After all these kids cannot be worst than the current lot.

Greck

My only problem with him is not playing kids. Knowing how atrocious and lazy the players are just give chance to kids and see who are cut out for PL. After all these kids cannot be worst than the current lot.
By several reports has been told to play for results. He isn't doing the best job but there's no room to experiment. He already ditched his high pressing to use a style more familiar to the players. The big regret here is we won't get top 4 and we won't get to lay foundations for next season. Talk about a total lose-lose.

stevoc

I shouldn’t be surprised that many can’t see past the short term.

It was always going to be a challenge for RR given when he came in and the fact he has no top coaches, losing McKenna and Carrick immediately and being unable to bring in his team. He had to settle on a few people who were available which has resulted in Fletcher having to help out. Its as cobbled together as it gets.

When you add to that we’ve not had any forwards available since Christmas (bar Ronaldo and a terribly out of form Rashford) it’s looked grim for a while. It’s no wonder we’ve drawn so many games and the fragile squad has lost all its fight.

Rangnick though has still been a positive for me for a few reasons;

1) The club has shown it isn’t being short term again; it’s looking ahead and wanted to get things right.

2) It’s allowed him to fact find ready for the new coach; he can the transition to his advisory role.

3) We have been restructuring in the background and will start the new season from fresh.

I think anyone expecting guaranteed top 4 under the circumstances was naive. It was always going to be a bonus and given the situation and how it’s unfolded I’m not surprised we are struggling.
I don't personally watch pressers or post match interviews so I'm genuinely interested. I keep seeing people say Rangnick is assessing the squad for the next manager is this something Ralf has said he was asked to do or just something felt he needed to do off his own bat?

Roane

I don't personally watch pressers or post match interviews so I'm genuinely interested. I keep seeing people say Rangnick is assessing the squad for the next manager is this something Ralf has said he was asked to do or just something felt he needed to do off his own bat?
Not saying this is set in stone, more how I've "interpreted" things since he has taken over.

Ralf in his early interviews was all about change and style of play and what he wanted and what he saw as weaknesses. His first couple of matches did seem to show something "different".

However as time went on there was, for me, a marked change in what he was saying. In my words, he went from change and style to i have been told to do this, basically keep things as they are and get league position and win matches.

I can point to this "change" as it was in press conferences and after match interviews. He didn't say it quite as outright as I've put it but wasnt far off from my interpretation.

Over time, so the post Everton match, he seems to be not as bothered. Just from his body language. Initially he wasn't about shrugging shoulders and pulling faces, he was very much direct and matter of fact.

He isnt as positive and seems to be about what we did in training but didn't do on the pitch so what do you expect. Again my words.

stevoc

Not saying this is set in stone, more how I've "interpreted" things since he has taken over.

Ralf in his early interviews was all about change and style of play and what he wanted and what he saw as weaknesses. His first couple of matches did seem to show something "different".

However as time went on there was, for me, a marked change in what he was saying. In my words, he went from change and style to i have been told to do this, basically keep things as they are and get league position and win matches.

I can point to this "change" as it was in press conferences and after match interviews. He didn't say it quite as outright as I've put it but wasnt far off from my interpretation.

Over time, so the post Everton match, he seems to be not as bothered. Just from his body language. Initially he wasn't about shrugging shoulders and pulling faces, he was very much direct and matter of fact.

He isnt as positive and seems to be about what we did in training but didn't do on the pitch so what do you expect. Again my words.
Cheers, it wouldn't surprise me if at some point he was told to prioritise results as it doesn't really make sense to write a season off in some attempt to have an interim manager try to change the teams playing style before you've even hired the next permanent manager.

I'm still curious though many on here seem certain he's assessing the squad for his successor, I'm just wondering where that line of thought comes from. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's not something the club has even asked him to do.

SuperiorXI

How can a manager manage assets deemed higher in value than himself? It's a simple problem that has led to serious consequences for the club on and off the pitch.

If we get ETH then he needs to be given absolute authority. The club need to back him fully. If there are any players creating a stink then they need to be relegated to the U23s and sold as soon as practically possible, the short-term financial hit the club takes will be repaid by success in the near future.

In the case of Rangnick, he obviously doesn't have the authority, the players have just phoned it in.

Polar

Moyes, LVG, Mourinho, Ole, Rangnick = Same All Shit. Doesn’t matter who’s manager as long as the system doesn’t change.

I frankly have forgotten what was wrong with Moyes. Don’t have hard feelings against him.

LVG and Mourinho were egocentric mercenaries with short term perspectives They didn’t care about developing the club and their behaviour was for the most part embarrassing. They should never been United managers. At that time United wasn’t United anymore.

Also Ole never should’ve been a United manger, but the atmosphere was great in periods and we were all more optimistic regarding the future; systemic change and a strategic plan. We were wrong again. United bought Ronaldo and everyone knew nothing had changed: Plans were thrown over board and the system was the same old shit (United is run by old men behind the scenery).

Feel sorry for Rangnick who inherited this mess. Nothing will change before the existing power structure is breaken up.

Last edited:

tomaldinho1

Exactly. His only job is to make sure we don't embarrass ourselves ie relegation, or losing to the likes of Watford. They aren't his players so he essentially gets a free run till the summer when he moves up.
Also he’s a necessary sacrificial lamb for a summer where we likely lose Pogba, Cavani, Lingard, Mata, Matic, maybe Ronaldo etc. No one is going to put tactics into place mid season with a team that’s going to dissolve in the summer but you also don’t want the new manager starting under a cloud of bad performance and having clueless but influential pundits starting to question them before they’ve even started.

Thelongsleevesofblomqvist

If I could start a thread I would ask what would have been the proper appointment at every stage managerial change since Ferguson. Would enjoy reading this.

After Ferguson:

After Moyes:

After Van Gaal:

After Mourinho:

After Solskjaer as intereem:

After Solskjaer as permanent:

After Ragnnick:

Ash_G

I think the impact he's had has been disappointing and whilst I didn't think Ole was right for the job I'm also not convinced we're in a better position than had he stayed. That said the issues that are costing us do overall feel like player issues than something he could massively impact. He can't stop the players losing possession so cheaply, some of the misses we've had in front of goal or the general lack of effort. Likewise assuming he wasn't allowed to buy in Jan then he can only really work with what he's got.

Have said before but I can only hope that the observations he's made of who is and is good enough/right attitude is something that carries weight into the summer. Would feel like a complete waste if he steps back only for a new manager to want to do their own assessment of players. That at the least would mean that we can start the summer with an idea of who we're planning to marginalise/move on and therefore where the gaps are.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
You'll be made fun of for suggesting someone from Celtic, and I got the same abuse from United fans years ago when I said Van Djk would be worth a shout for 14 million when he was at Celtic.
VVD wouldn't have become a world class player at United

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Way too much stock seems to have been placed on the importance the role Ralf will have after this season. First off for some bizarre reason many thought he was going to be taking up some sort Director of Football position and would be rebuilding the club. When for anyone that was paying attention in the official statement when he was appointed it only said he would be a consultant nothing more.

It's quite likely the job will only exist because we were desperate for an experienced interim manager so when we approached Ralf to leave a cushy job in Russia (3 year contract until 2024) he demanded United give him an equivalent job with a similar contract/salary after his time as manager and that's where his consultancy role comes in (6 months Interim and 2 years as a 'consultant' until 2024). They'll probably phone him up once or twice a month and that'll be the extent of it in all likelihood, it doesn't seem like the club are or were planning on Rangnick having a major role behind the scenes.
You can't believe Ralf was brought in as a preferable interim over a DOF role? The most logical situation would be the club approached him as a DOF consultant but he was only willing to do this if he got his shot as interim. I can't see how this could be argued when Ralfs main strength is in the DOF department. He's basically the only man at the club with this sort of experience. Why wouldn't the club use him if they're serious about getting back to the top?

Kaos

He probably would've been better coached, he wasn't a meme player before United
Better coached perhaps, but I feel like Leicester was his level, and I don't even think he was the best CB there.

He'd have struggled immensely at somewhere like City where he'd have been let go after a few seasons after barely featuring (Pep is ruthless with his players), but I agree, he wouldn't have been memed like he is here.

If we'd signed Nathan Ake I can see him having had the Maguire treatment here instead of fading into obscurity like he is at City.

Womp

idiot

That's Ange, he is quite well known around here in Australia and trust me when I say he is not the answer to our problems at all :lol:

He's good but nowhere near good enough for what we should be aspiring for imo.

Maticmaker

You can't believe Ralf was brought in as a preferable interim over a DOF role? The most logical situation would be the club approached him as a DOF consultant but he was only willing to do this if he got his shot as interim. I can't see how this could be argued when Ralfs main strength is in the DOF department. He's basically the only man at the club with this sort of experience. Why wouldn't the club use him if they're serious about getting back to the top?
Ralf was brought in early to get a handle on the problems, if he could get something out of the team this season all well and good, if not he gets to size things up and comes up with a plan going forward; starting with who is appointed this summer as the manager. That to my mind was his job as interim, see how the land lies, then bring in the diggers and heavy lifters!
We all know the club have a massive job on its hands, on and off the field, it wants /needs somebody who can present the bigger picture and develop the 'milestones' needed going forward, managerial, club organisation, etc. IMO if things go as expected we are 18 months to 2 years away from a decent team and five years away from a title winning side... depressing isn't it!!:houllier:

didz

Since the West Ham game, in which I thought we were fantastic, we've won 3 in 12, and failed to get maximum points in any of the 3 games we've played against against teams in the bottom 4. I do think the interim title has become a weird sort of armour for Ralf.

I mean another big thing happened between West Ham and the following game, and people probably don't fully appreciate just how crap that would be for the atmosphere at the club. I probably wouldn't want to be there either.

Still, the way the team is set up, the players who keep getting picked and the days off enjoying his contract in Barbados have soured my opinion of Ralf somewhat.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
If I could start a thread I would ask what would have been the proper appointment at every stage managerial change since Ferguson. Would enjoy reading this.

After Ferguson:

After Moyes:

After Van Gaal:

After Mourinho:

After Solskjaer as intereem:

After Solskjaer as permanent:

After Ragnnick:
After SAF: Ancelotti
After Moyes: Klopp
After van Gaal: Guardiola
After Mourinho/Ole as interim: Poch
After Ole/Rangnick: ten Hag

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Ralf was brought in early to get a handle on the problems, if he could get something out of the team this season all well and good, if not he gets to size things up and comes up with a plan going forward; starting with who is appointed this summer as the manager. That to my mind was his job as interim, see how the land lies, then bring in the diggers and heavy lifters!
We all know the club have a massive job on its hands, on and off the field, it wants /needs somebody who can present the bigger picture and develop the 'milestones' needed going forward, managerial, club organisation, etc. IMO if things go as expected we are 18 months to 2 years away from a decent team and five years away from a title winning side... depressing isn't it!!:houllier:
Depressing is right but for the first time since SAF it finally looks like the club is finally taking baby steps in restructuring the club by bringing in people like Ralf and ETH??

I agree with you about Ralfs role in all of this. I really couldn't care less if we finish midtable this season. For me the most important aspect is having someone with the experience of Ralf scrutinising what the club needs before the new manager comes in. We may have lost 6 months under him but in the longer run it will probably be worth it. Short term pain for long time gain.

Imagine if ETH took over from Ole and had to go through what Ralf is going through now which is a distinct possibility no matter how good a manager he has the potential to be. The weak links have now been identified so before the new manager comes in a lot of the hard work will already have been put under the microscope and hopefully plans are already in place to get us firing as quickly as we can giving the new manager an advantage he wouldn't of had If Ralf wasn't brought in as interim in the first place.

TheLord

The problem is, without doubt, the playing squad. However, it's also beyond any doubt that Rangnick has not been even nearly good enough. Clearly suited more to the role upstairs.
But there is barely anything in him that suggests that he will do a better job upstairs. That’s equally frightening. People are assuming he will be an inspired figure “upstairs.”

After SAF: Ancelotti
After Moyes: Klopp
After van Gaal: Guardiola
After Mourinho/Ole as interim: Poch
After Ole/Rangnick: ten Hag
Guardiola was never really an option at that point, I'm quite sure City had him wrapped up long before 2016. Easy to say in hindsight, but we should have been ruthless and sounded out Ancelotti that time too, the second he was sacked by Madrid - not as if Van Gaal had been a resounding success at that point.

Agree with all the rest

But there is barely anything in him that suggests that he will do a better job upstairs. That’s equally frightening. People are assuming he will be an inspired figure “upstairs.”
He's done very well in that role in two previous clubs and has experience leading clubs that are more of a brand than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.