Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manncunian

People still blaming Rangnick when we have a squad of the most hopeless, lazy, overrated players ever assembled?

OK then.

I'm glad he's here either way as he'll do a lot of good advising the club of the best way forward.
This. All of this.

We have a group of players who were mollycoddled by Solskjaer, and therefore an attitude of complacency and entitlement was bred. This was where the major issues we are seeing now began.

You only need to look at the body language of many of our players; the sheer lack of effort or desire on the pitch. Regardless of tactics or managerial relationships, there is no excuse for dawdling around the pitch, failing to chase the ball or regain possession when it’s lost. I don’t need to mention names at this point. You know who the culprits are.

We have players leaking nonsense to the press, airing their discontent not only with the current manager, but with potential future managers. There’s that entitlement I was talking about. They had a manager who treated them like they were the Crown Jewels and could do no wrong, and who clearly demonstrated favouritism towards certain individuals. Nobody had to fight to get in the squad, you just had to have the right name.

After all of this, we are left with what is now a group of egocentric prima-donnas. Player power is at a point it should never have been allowed to get to.

Ralf has an impossible task here. He hasn’t taken over a normal group of struggling players. He can’t just change the entire culture within the dressing room when the current culture is so deep rooted.

I don’t like bringing politics into this, but it’s an apt analogy. Imagine removing Johnson as PM but then keeping all the other personnel in government; expecting the new guy to come in and completely change the culture and have everyone performing competently and honestly. You think that’s possible? Or would the new PM need to have a complete overhaul of staff/cabinet and almost start from scratch?

RR is doing a good job under the circumstances. We are still in with a chance of fourth despite the cataclysmic state of the squad/club. Who could do better right now? Serious question. Who could do better without being able to make transfers and get rid of problematic players?

It is a desperate situation right now that’s for sure. And ETH will have one hell of a job on his hands.

UncleBob

Well it's no different to anything else in life. If you're constantly putting out fires you're not actually focussing on fixing the issues. We could buy our way to a struggling 4th via constant managerial changes indefinitely, but we're not suddenly going to become a good team.
Not sure where this attempt at logic comes from. It's not as if we wouldn't be aware of the problems at the club if we were at 4th instead of 5th, there's no magical barrier where everything is shit and everything is fine between those two places. Do you think Ralf's assessment of how the club operates changes if we finish 4th instead of 5th?

mancsarered

I would a lot more excited about these quotes if I hadn't read those plans about him basically being a part-time consultant. Don't think his opinion will matter if that's true.

johanovic

RR has done a good job and has been very clear about the status of the club and players. Him telling things like they are compaired to the OGS trying to say the right things but not really saying anything at all is refreshing. This playing squad is just woeful and I doubt there are any that could make this lot play better. Him telling outloud what most of us are thinking can only be benefical to the club...if the owners are willing to listen.

Despite selling/loaning out or getting rid of 37 players(https://www.transfermarkt.com/manchester-united/alletransfers/verein/985) for the past 3 years we are facing a summer where we still need to get rid of 7 to 10 players including those running out of contract.

In the meantime we have have hardly signed a player that could be defined as a huge success other than Bruno and perhaps Ronaldo. Liverpool have managed to sign roughly 2 to 3 players each season since 2015 that turned out to be key players for them....and most are still important players for them in 2022.
2015 - Firmino, Gomez and Milner
2016 - Mane, Wijnaldum,Matip, TAA (youth)
2017 - Van Dijk, Salah, Robertson
2018 - Alison, Keita, Fabinho
2019 - None
2020 - Jota, Thiago, Curtis Jones(youth)
2021 - Diaz, Konate

But MAN UTD have managed in the same timeframe to spend much more on signings and paying much more in salaries than this lot from Liverpool. How fecked up is that? What level of mismangement can be used to describe it? And that is why every supporter should applaud what he said in the inteview this morning when stating " Man Utd facing years in wilderness unless recruitment improves" and he also said "it will take 2 to 3 windows IF you know what you are looking for"

That´s hardly a interview with somebody dancing the Glazer line and spoken for the benefit of the club...the big question is if the owners are willing to follow his advise...they would be fools not to...Ten Haag with Murtough,Ragnick and hopefully Paul Mitchell behind him would surely take us on the right path....those are perhaps the most important signings to be made for the club..I trust them to then find the right players

ash_86

He's done more good taking about the club blatantly. I hope he writes a book where ehe can be more explicit than what he can reveal in interviews. Should be a fun read.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
So basically slagging off the guy who hired him? Murtough?

Or is he pointing more to our scouting/recruiting staff behind the scenes
Could also be that he publicly doubles down on points Murtough has made but were ignored.

We know to little about the internal state of the club, who is actually competent and who isn't.

Velvet Revolver

People still blaming Rangnick when we have a squad of the most hopeless, lazy, overrated players ever assembled?

OK then.

I'm glad he's here either way as he'll do a lot of good advising the club of the best way forward.
People were calling out for to having 'football focused' people in the recruitment team, when they get one who knows how to recruit people are annoyed cos he can't do magic in 6 months. I am convinced the fans these days are complete out of tune

UncleBob

People were calling out for to having 'football focused' people in the recruitment team, when they get one who knows how to recruit people are annoyed cos he can't do magic in 6 months. I am convinced the fans these days are complete out of tune
He can do a shit job as a manager and a good job as a consultant, right?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I would a lot more excited about these quotes if I hadn't read those plans about him basically being a part-time consultant. Don't think his opinion will matter if that's true.
We've not hired him to ignore his opinion.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
While he's made some weird decisions but I still think he should get the benefit of the doubt, these players have mostly been patchy and disjointed as a unit under all their previous managers. While a lot of the onus falls on the players and their attitude, a lot of it is to do with the way we recruited them, none of these players were signed with an idea in mind if they would work cohesively, but rather signed by different managers with vastly different identities. I think Alex Ferguson would've struggled getting a tune out of this squad without any January reinforcements, the morale was shot by the time Rangnick was appointed and too many knew their contracts were up in summer anyway.

dutchred

Quote: "I think Alex Ferguson would've struggled getting a tune out of this squad without any January reinforcements"
Sir Alex would never have bought most of these players and would certainly not allow the situation to develop so

UncleBob

While he's made some weird decisions but I still think he should get the benefit of the doubt, these players have mostly been patchy and disjointed as a unit under all their previous managers. While a lot of the onus falls on the players and their attitude, a lot of it is to do with the way we recruited them, none of these players were signed with an idea in mind if they would work cohesively, but rather signed by different managers with vastly different identities. I think Alex Ferguson would've struggled getting a tune out of this squad without any January reinforcements, the morale was shot by the time Rangnick was appointed and too many knew their contracts were up in summer anyway.
It's hardly that simple. Yes, plenty of players are on expiring contracts, doesn't mean they're going to stop performing either as their performance will have an effect on their next contract. Also, there's the World Cup coming up...

Patchy and disjointed as a unit, still managed to turn losses into wins and finish second in the league last season, the squad isn't that awful to not expect a competent manager to stabilize it and deliver better results.

He's done a poor job as a manager, not sure how anyone can claim otherwise. For some reason, people have started making things up in order to pretend he's doing a great job. Apparently there's no way to improve unless we're performing as shit as possible and miss out on top 4.

Velvet Revolver

I don't think he is a shit manager at all. I think he has been upfront on what he wants to bring to the table. High pressing football. He is known for that, unfortunately for him 90% of our team cannot press to save their lives so it is a stalemate between tactics and player attributes.

it's like calling Pep a shit manager because he is not good at long ball football

UncleBob

I don't think he is a shit manager at all. I think he has been upfront on what he wants to bring to the table. High pressing football. He is known for that, unfortunately for him 90% of our team cannot press to save their lives so it is a stalemate between tactics and player attributes.

it's like calling Pep a shit manager because he is not good at long ball football
He's certainly done a shit job so far.

It's fairly easy to be upfront on what you want to bring to the table, somewhat more difficult to implement it and there's a fairly good reason Ralf has been struggling to get jobs as a manager, even though he's tried.

Velvet Revolver

It's fairly easy to be upfront on what you want to bring to the table, somewhat more difficult to implement it and there's a fairly good reason Ralf has been struggling to get jobs as a manager, even though he's tried.
Fair enough its your opinion. I was on the manger is shit hence we are in this shit mode a while ago. Two things are evidently clear regardless of who our next manager(s) are

1. Players don't give two hoots about the club they are ultimately all about brand and $. They have given up once you have such a set of players there is nothing a manager can do.. we'll maybe don't play these players and that's on RR
2. These set of players are not good at taking tactical coaching.

What would you have expected RR to do in 6 months with this lot?

UncleBob

Fair enough its your opinion. I was on the manger is shit hence we are in this shit mode a while ago. Two things are evidently clear regardless of who our next manager(s) are

1. Players don't give two hoots about the club they are ultimately all about brand and $. They have given up once you have such a set of players there is nothing a manager can do.. we'll maybe don't play these players and that's on RR
2. These set of players are not good at taking tactical coaching.

What would you have expected RR to do in 6 months with this lot?
How are two inaccuracies evidently clear?

JanK

Supports
Napoli
Ralf is direct and he is paid to audit the club's football operations. He is doing the right thing. I love that he is bashing the board in media, now everybody knows that things are super shite and cannot be able to mask the dire situation with Ole's typical comments about the club. Cat has been let out of the box and now it's ride or die. Ralf + Erik will ride and bring titles. I'm certain of it.

crossy1686

career ending

You think there's a manager in world football who can get a tune out of this lot for only 6 months? They run the joint and have no desire to listen to someone who won't be coaching them at the end of the season.

UncleBob

Care to explain what you mean by inaccuracies?
Your two points are certainly not facts, are they?
You think there's a manager in world football who can get a tune out of this lot for only 6 months? They run the joint and have no desire to listen to someone who won't be coaching them at the end of the season.
You look to the left and argue the importance of Ralf's arrival, the changes he will introduce via his role as a consultant, the effect on transfers, oh holy Ralf.
You look to the right and argue how he couldn't possibly stand a chance with this group of players as he'll have no impact on their future

Good one

crossy1686

career ending

You look to the left and argue the importance of Ralf's arrival, the changes he will introduce via his role as a consultant, the effect on transfers, oh holy Ralf.
You look to the right and argue how he couldn't possibly stand a chance with this group of players as he'll have no impact on their future

Good one
So you agree? Glad we're all on the same page

UncleBob

So you agree? Glad we're all on the same page
:lol:

How can Ralf have an important behind the scenes role and at the same time have feck all influence on who stays?

not that it even matters, player performances and overall behavior will still have consequences, interim manager doesn’t mean players have a free pass to do whatever they want.

Velvet Revolver

Good one
Don't you see it on the pitch how these players are performing? you think RR is deliberately asking these lot to do the things they are doing? it's not that hard to see how the players are performing day in day out. No pride to wear the shirt nor the respect for the club.

If Klopp or Pep took the job tomorrow, they would get rid of 70% of these players. There's only so much a manager can do.

Volksie316

We are genuinely going to get smashed tonight.

I am honestly expecting us to concede at least 5 again tonight, if not more.

Such a defensive and cowardly lineup from Ralf also.

At least get beat trying, rather than just parking the bus and hoof ball!

UncleBob

Don't you see it on the pitch how these players are performing? you think RR is deliberately asking these lot to do the things they are doing? it's not that hard to see how the players are performing day in day out. No pride to wear the shirt nor the respect for the club.

If Klopp or Pep took the job tomorrow, they would get rid of 70% of these players. There's only so much a manager can do.
You do realize that if a team performs shit, it doesn't really excuse the manager?...I'm not claiming that Ralf is deliberately getting the players to perform shit, i just don't think he is anywhere close to being a good manager, which should be fairly evident by the lack of actual managing jobs he's had.

If Klopp or Pep took the job tomorrow, you'd almost instantly see a clear change. It might not be an instant success, by all means, but it would be easy to see a big difference in approach and they'd stick to it. With Ralf, after the initial period, we're back to looking as useless as we were under Ole. Watfords 4-1 win vs our 3-2 win. Our xg was the same, xa in open play, the same, opposite results

We can only hope he'll play a big part behind the scenes, because he's doing a shit job on it.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He just watched us get ripped apart by the worst team in the league. Hardly surprising he's shit the bad and got an extra body in there against one of the best.

Shark

@NotShark
He just watched us get ripped apart by the worst team in the league. Hardly surprising he's shit the bad and got an extra body in there against one of the best.
Exactly. What the feck is he supposed to do with these clowns, especially with Ronaldo out. If he goes in any way attacking we get a horrid beating. We still might get one with this setup.

Castia

Hope he proves me wrong but that must be one of the worst starting 11’s we’ve ever produced against Liverpool in the league. Absolutely dreadful.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I don't mind the defensive approach but we've seen how good we are at new formations.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
pep or klopp couldn’t get a tune out of this absolute shower of shit we have in our team. Ralf is a temp and nothing more. I still like him and think he will do a fine job in his new role.

Status
Not open for further replies.