Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawliet354

None of these people are obviously remotely good enough to manage United. Carrick or Rooney could've just deputized as caretakers for the rest of the year until ETH got the job.
Carrick and Rooney would not dare to criticize the club management or players, 3 years later the root of the problems in this club would still be there.

One of the very few positive of Rangnick is how he publicly said this club need operation and fresh start, and some players does not belong here.

Ralf doesn’t have to pretend not to burn bridges with some of the players now since ETH is coming and he can do his consultant job

Ole, and had we signed a permanent manager when he got sacked, would not be half as brutal as Ralf is being in the press recently. They'll just say bullshit PR like "We will work hard in the summer to improve the squad" or "Happy with the squad the way it is" or something about passion and this club culture and the past. Allowing the mediocrity to remain behind the scenes under the guise that the manager is happy with the way things are going. And 3 years later, the cycle is repeated.

Ralf is not doing good as manager, but as a consultant he's done a really good job by analyzing the root problem. And he's not holding back and saying the problem to the public so the fans can see how rotten this club is being run all these years

Last edited:

marcus agrippa

I didn't say anything about keeping Solskjaer or being wrong in sacking him? I'm just saying if this guy was brought in to fill in until we get a permanent manager, at least put the effort in and show that you fecking care. If he's just doing the bare minimum to tick over, then yeah we probably should have just stuck with Ole till the end of the season.
Again, I ask, what guarantee do you have that things would have improved under Solskjaer? All the leaks in the press about players being dissatisfied with him didn't come from thin air.

All this is counterfactual nonsense anyway; you make the best decision given the information you have at the time, and go from there. The best decision was to sack Solskjaer. That things didn't subsequently pan out on another decision doesn't make that wrong.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
It's impossible to rate him given the performances and the results. It's hard to portion the blame between him and the players though, but great managers make players punch above their weight. We've seen none of this with Ralf.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Without some sort of a magical hindisght, Rangnick is a much better choice for a caretaker than either one of them imo.
Certainly not based on results. We added Ronaldo and this guy has somehow managed to lead us into full mediocrity. No wonder the dressing room is in shambles. There's no leadership from the manager.

city-puma

The biggest issue is the club structure. If it can’t be reconstructed well, it will be difficult for any full manager to success. They are making changes and let’s hope it work out together with ETH.

slored1

Speaks a lot of shit about the players and the club in the press (most of it is right but still) and we are all shocked that the team is falling apart. If this guy doesn't want to work here it drains everyone down with him. Disastrous managerial appointment, let's hope he will be more inspiring as a consultant.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Whom is he supposed to play then? Injured Shaw or massively in-form Wan-Bissaka?
I'm not talking only about now, even when Shaw was available Ralf preferred Telles in many games.
AWB is no prime Dani Alves but at least he could of given him a couple of games, especially when we were underdogs, given the fact he can actually defend from time to time. He played Lindelof at RB away against Atletico, that's just inexcusable.

KeanoMagicHat

You need someone to try to galvanise the players for the remaining games, it would be different if he was a long-term manager and he was setting a new culture. He's not and his job should have been get top 4 and give it to the next manager in good shape.

What he says in the press is more suited to punditry or analysis. It's interesting and there's some truth in it, but it's not suited to football management, it's not suited to winning games or creating an iota of team spirit. This has been the biggest issue with Rangnick and his interim appointment has been a disaster from that point of view. You want a Gus Hiddink to get a few smiles on faces, not tell everyone that they're shit and need to be replaced.

el3mel

I didn't say anything about keeping Solskjaer or being wrong in sacking him? I'm just saying if this guy was brought in to fill in until we get a permanent manager, at least put the effort in and show that you fecking care. If he's just doing the bare minimum to tick over, then yeah we probably should have just stuck with Ole till the end of the season.
Stick with a failing strategy that's clearly bringing the team down vs trying something new and seeing what will happen.

I know which one I will prefer.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You need someone to try to galvanise the players for the remaining games, it would be different if he was a long-term manager and he was setting a new culture. He's not and his job should have been get top 4 and give it to the next manager in good shape.

What he says in the press is more suited to punditry or analysis. It's interesting and there's some truth in it, but it's not suited to football management, it's not suited to winning games or creating an iota of team spirit. This has been the biggest issue with Rangnick and his interim appointment has been a disaster from that point of view. You want a Gus Hiddink to get a few smiles on faces, not tell everyone that they're shit and need to be replaced.
Some eyebrows should of been raised when looking over his CV, but we bought the father of gegenpressing, guru of modern german managers crap...

marcus agrippa

I believe he can, as many times as he has done before, even though this time is a lot more difficult. But, the board made the wrong decision under the extreme negative circumstances, a lot of which came from from media and pundits including our former players.
This is just blind faith, nothing more.

Again: hiring RR as manager being a mistake doesn't mean firing Solskjaer was also a mistake. How hard is that to understand?

SuperiorXI

Speaks a lot of shit about the players and the club in the press (most of it is right but still) and we are all shocked that the team is falling apart. If this guy doesn't want to work here it drains everyone down with him. Disastrous managerial appointment, let's hope he will be more inspiring as a consultant.
These players deserve it. They have been at it for years. It's refreshing to finally have someone that calls them out on their shit. I think in time we will look back at the Rangnick manager stint as a necessary evil.

Who is shocked that the team is falling apart? No one should be shocked, they're a bunch of overpaid shite hawks.

slored1

These players deserve it. They have been at it for years. It's refreshing to finally have someone that calls them out on their shit. I think in time we will look back at the Rangnick manager stint as a necessary evil.

Who is shocked that the team is falling apart? No one should be shocked, they're a bunch of overpaid shite hawks.
I get they are overpaid twats. It is obvious. But surely someone could have done a better job with this group as an interim. He could have been a consultant from day one instead, now we have to sell 15 players and get 15 in to be anywhere near the accepted level and all that without CL football.

SuperiorXI

I get they are overpaid twats. It is obvious. But surely someone could have done a better job with this group as an interim. He could have been a consultant from day one instead, now we have to sell 15 players and get 15 in to be anywhere near the accepted level and all that without CL football.
That was always the case with or without a 'competent' interim as manager.

lawliet354

That's what a properly run football club should have done, but it's Manchester United we're talking about.

We appoint a banker to run the club, hire previous player with shit CV to be manager, and sign shit overpaid player.

The United

He’s quite a shit manager/coach with no plan B. Seems like he can’t coach any other style of the gegenpress option is not viable with the players he has.
Just forget about the gengenpress, he does not even seem to able to organize a decent defense set-up... which would have been a very basic (though important) step to create any kind of style.

SuperiorXI

You really thought before the season that we have to sell 15 players to compete in the PL?? I would call bullsh*t on that.
No but the players have since been exposed. The jury has been out on this group of players since way back to the LVG times, some fans backed the players and some the manager. Now it is clear as day what the problem is and if you think it's Rangnick and not the players then sorry but you must be blind.

BulgarianDevil91

It's odd seeing so many negative comments about Rangnick, when everyone around here should very well be aware of the problem and where it lies.

Of course the players would show little to no interest in whats happening until the end of this season and onwards when most of them know their days of being protected by the manager, even after horrendous performances, are done. No one in such a situation would bother, why expect something from them? If my manager went public about what a trash employee I was, I'd not give a flying feck about anything in the club and I'd still have my undeservedly high salary rolling in on a weekly basis.

The club is rotten, the players have been overprotected and with bloated egos, everything is a wreck structurally. We all know it. Let Ralf forward all that information to ETH and let's see where the latter's ideas and their implementation gets us to.

slored1

No but the players have since been exposed. The jury has been out on this group of players since way back to the LVG times, some fans backed the players and some the manager. Now it is clear as day what the problem is and if you think it's Rangnick and not the players then sorry but you must be blind.
It is obvious both sides are at fault here. You can't excuse Rangnick for winning two fecking games in three months, no matter how crap these players are or if we want to see them play again for this club.

Just look back one or two years ago when Shaw, Maguire and Pogba looked good in the United shirt, now they are absolute liabilities. Do you believe every single player in our team has suddenly lost the ability to play football in the last year? This is surely down to the management from Ralph as well.

Tiber

The shit show continues. Yes yes as usual I know he didn't make the mess. But he was brought in to improve the side and push for top 4, not just to make excuses and blame the players at every press conference.

If after months of training, a manager can't improve a back 4 with the likes of Varane in it then he isn't up to the job - which is probably why he was working in Russia.

People talk about 'its all the players and Ralf is powerless' as if he was running the Derby squad Rooney had to work with, not a load of players like Varane, Lindelof and Maguire all of whom have been good players at this club in the past.

Nice hipster reputation which continues to shield him, but a complete failure at United in every way.

OleksUsykUD

I'm not surprised this team isn't performing. He's got no connection with the squad. I've said it before, ask him any question about the team and he will not have a clue. I doubt whether he has any contact with them outside of the training sessions. His indifference is really doing my nut. When Ole got hammered by Liverpool and Watford, you could see the guy was hurting. Whenever we played against Leeds, Liverpool and City he knew what it meant to the club and fans. Ralf just shrugs his shoulders before spouting some cold, analytical speech.

This guy just can't be arsed and comes across as just putting token effort into the role so why should the players be any different. I can't wait till he fecks off upstairs and we get a manager who actually cares and puts the work in.

He's worse than Ole because at least Ole really cared and felt the pain that the fans do when we lost. After a beatdown, I want to see the manager fuming at the press conference and doing his best to keep his composure. I've never seen it with this guy.
Yeah, this is 100% true. Rangnick doesn't give a thing about the club. He is just washing his hands with the players, and it's getting away with so much. The guy is a terrible manager, and there was a clear reason why not a single top club wanted him.

hobbers

This is surely down to the management from Ralph as well.
Obviously not because they all lost their ability before he arrived.

What Rangnick has failed to do is turn around anyone's form or improve anyones confidence. But how much of that is down to him, given how many of these players know they're leaving in a month, hard to say.

tomaldinho1

Certainly not based on results. We added Ronaldo and this guy has somehow managed to lead us into full mediocrity. No wonder the dressing room is in shambles. There's no leadership from the manager.
How can you possibly know this?

Leadership for me is someone who is honest and doesn’t mince things, being accountable is what Ole took away from the club and if some mollycoddled players don’t like Ralf’s style I’m more than happy with them getting found out. The criticism of him is basically that he’s professional, that he’s not pally with the players…fecking good. Too long have they swanned around and got bumper contracts and everything has been cool whilst our rivals hoover up trophies, how on earth is Lingard still here for example? Ralf clearly isn’t the solution as a coach but he says what we all see, a lack of professionalism, a lack of effort and, if we’re honest, a lack of ability in numerous positions.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
How can you possibly know this?

Leadership for me is someone who is honest and doesn’t mince things, being accountable is what Ole took away from the club and if some mollycoddled players don’t like Ralf’s style I’m more than happy with them getting found out. The criticism of him is basically that he’s professional, that he’s not pally with the players…fecking good. Too long have they swanned around and got bumper contracts and everything has been cool whilst our rivals hoover up trophies, how on earth is Lingard still here for example? Ralf clearly isn’t the solution as a coach but he says what we all see, a lack of professionalism, a lack of effort and, if we’re honest, a lack of ability in numerous positions.
Because our results demonstrate. Anyone with half a brain would know the squad needs work, so Rangnick saying so doesn't really mean much more than saying the obvious.

The criticism of him is therefore not that he's professional. Its that he is failing at the basics of galvanizing the squad to punch above its collective weight and earn us a CL spot. If he can't do either then everything else is meaningless.

Tiber

You could pick a random member of this forum and make him interim manager and they would have done no worse in terms of results as Rangnick. Which says rather a lot.

People seem to forget he wasn't hired just to keep the seat warm at press conferences for 6 months, he was supposed to save the season

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He’s quite a shit manager/coach with no plan B. Seems like he can’t coach any other style of the gegenpress option is not viable with the players he has.
No plan B? This fraud doesn't have a plan A

I don't care anymore, now ETH has been confirmed there's light at the end of this tunnel

Raoul

Admin
Staff
You could pick a random member of this forum and make him interim manager and they would have done no worse in terms of results as Rangnick. Which says rather a lot.

People seem to forget he wasn't hired just to keep the seat warm at press conferences for 6 months, he was supposed to save the season
Yes, and he's saved are Liverpool's title run and Arsenal's chances of making the CL.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Rangnick has performed brilliantly. He has made sure the entire team is gutted, no more papering over the cracks and slowly sliding into oblivion.

Rangnick has exposed the turds in the dressing room instead of shielding them while they stunk up the place. Good thing the next manager won't waste time polishing turd.

Hopefully we lose all the remaining games so that vast majority of the players can be kicked out and we get 8th spot.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
There’s such a weird hatred for him. Don’t get it at all.

Tiber

You seen his results? Thats what he is here for not to 'expose the players' and the other things he keeps getting praised for

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Brilliant tweet
How valuable they will consider his input going forward, it remains to be seen. His exact role at the club, after his interim tenure, has always been veiled in mystery. There have been several signs that there's an intention to change the structure of the club to run it better. On the other hand, the ownership and their right-hand men have always been reactionary and never proactive.

What i sense happened is this: They weren't able to understand that Solskjaer's (just like Mourinho's three years before) cycle with this team was done. When it became plain obvious to the United hierarchy that Solskjaer's position wasn't salvageable any more, they pulled the trigger. I suspect that the reason they didn't approach Conte with much zest was that they had already decided on either ETH or Pochettino. But with Carrick leaving on his own, they had to find a caretaker. And Carrick/McKenna leaving was a blow, because the job of the interim is usually to rally up the troops, with the club going into damage control mode.

We were in a tough spot because even names like the ones that were doing the rounds here (Valverde, Fonseca, Garcia etc.) were not going to accept the job without any further assurances. Asking them to come here with no connection to the club, strangers who will be on their way come next spring no matter what, with no transfer budget and with so many contracts ending at the end of the season to manage these players who, as a collective, have won the square foot of feck all. In my eyes, that's the epitome of a thankless job.

It might be the case that the consultancy role was nothing more than the cheese in the mousetrap as far as Rangnick is concerned. I don't blame him because, as i said, it is a thankless job. I also believe that his credibility has taken a blow in their eyes, which is understandable. But i don't think that what he's telling them goes in one ear and out the other, either. The importance of his role will depend on how much his early assessments will agree with what ETH believes is the best way forward.

L1nk

People who love Ole. The way i see it he hasn’t done fantastically well but anyone who thought he was going to absolutely revolutionise everything were living in dreamland anyway. I still think this is the best appointment we’ve made in years because it’s lead to a lot of changes for the future. However i don’t understand why Rangnick is getting a lot of shit when these players have consistently thrown loads of managers under the bus and are clearly not playing for him. Players like Lingard saying the dressing room is a mess etc should have been let go a long long time ago and are causing absolute chaos at this club

DSG

Rangnick has performed brilliantly. He has made sure the entire team is gutted, no more papering over the cracks and slowly sliding into oblivion.

Rangnick has exposed the turds in the dressing room instead of shielding them while they stunk up the place. Good thing the next manager won't waste time polishing turd.

Hopefully we lose all the remaining games so that vast majority of the players can be kicked out and we get 8th spot.
Worst take ever. Clearly you know nothing about football. :lol:

we are terrible, and 80% of the issue is Ralf. The worse we get, mentally, the longer it will take to build us back up.

Corridor of Uncertainty

we are terrible, and 80% of the issue is Ralf. The worse we get, mentally, the longer it will take to build us back up.
Are you suggesting the players were only 20% to blame when Ole got the bullet?

DSG

People who love Ole. The way i see it he hasn’t done fantastically well but anyone who thought he was going to absolutely revolutionise everything were living in dreamland anyway. I still think this is the best appointment we’ve made in years because it’s lead to a lot of changes for the future. However i don’t understand why Rangnick is getting a lot of shit when these players have consistently thrown loads of managers under the bus and are clearly not playing for him. Players like Lingard saying the dressing room is a mess etc should have been let go a long long time ago and are causing absolute chaos at this club
You don’t perform this badly unless your manager is shite, mate. It’s a simple fact.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

80% guess he was the reason Ole got sacked after getting spanked 4-1 by Watford?

Rangnick has not done well but its clear he us right about what needs to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.