Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

romufc

Obviously, Rio has friends in the Manutd playing squad. I don't care Ralf airing all of this. Fans deserve to know what is happening, they have been up and down supporting the club.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Rio endorsed Ole. Since then I pay very little attention to what he says, outside of defensive analysis.

Green Arrow

So he would rather have another person just sitting there and smiling away as if nothing is happening. I'm glad he is airing all this in public shows how bad the club and players really are. Besides all these ex players are part of the problem too the sooner they shut up the better.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Obviously, Rio has friends in the Manutd playing squad. I don't care Ralf airing all of this. Fans deserve to know what is happening, they have been up and down supporting the club.
I disagree with Rio but I do see where he's coming from. He played under SAF for over a decade who always protected the club in press conferences. He never wanted to give the media anything and when he did it was strategic. Ole did the same as manager because that's what he was taught.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
We should remind Rio that these same players were disrespecting Ole when he was still here. Seriously this tendency to undermining manager just because they dont like him need to be stopped.
Players who downtool should not be protected, which is what ole did and look how that turned out.

I disagree with Rio but I do see where he's coming from. He played under SAF for over a decade who always protected the club in press conferences. He never wanted to give the media anything and when he did it was strategic. Ole did the same as manager because that's what he was taught.
SAF never tolerated players not putting in a shift, this is not to be confused with players giving it their all and not being successful in which case SAF did protect them. This problem predates rangnick and is not of his making, it is better to acknowledge facts so that the problem can be fixed instead of brushing it under the carpet and pretending all is well.

Someone should also remind rio whether in his time players were leaking stories to the press and blatantly not following the managers instructions ? The dressing room is a snakepit and needs to be cleared out, not protected.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Rio was part of a quality group of players who gave their all for the team week after week - there was no dirty laundry to speak of. We can't say the same for current crop of players. He would likely feel very different if he was thrown in with this lot today.

Roy Keane went public with his views when he felt several members of the squad weren't up to scratch/playing for the shirt. He got packed of to Celtic for that, but that didn't stop the club gong on to win 3 titles on the trot plus a CL following that outburst.

The point is it's easy to stay quiet if you have nothing to complain about.

romufc

Yes, the difference is that they were winning, the mentality was right. When it wasn't even SAF came out. I.E. Rooney contract.

People need to move on from SAF, footballs moved on, the way clubs operate has changed, dealing with players has changed.

I dont know why almost 10 years later we are so obsessed over the SAF way. Ole did it and we can see how bad it was just to plaster over the cracks.

Fans who spent alot of money, watching the club getting beat 4-0 on a regular basis has no comparison to when we were competing for titles every season.

People need to realise the context where we are at.

redshaw

Rio has a point. Ralf is new to the club and team and here for a short term, to get them onside and play for you he should've protected them more. Some fans have enjoyed the blasting of the players in public but this could've been said to the board.

But with that said I'm ok with shining a big light on the ineptitude of the players and indulgence the club has had, we won't be winning much if anything at all if it carries on. We kind of know already but I think it's best to confirm and to keep people in charge in check.

romufc

Rio has a point. Ralf is new to the club and team and here for a short term, to get them onside and play for you he should've protected them more. Some fans have enjoyed the blasting of the players in public but this could've been said to the board.
Right, so he should do what we have always done, hope a magic wand will fix us?
Its clear Jose told the board but they didnt listen, Ralf knows the only way is to get the fans on board.

redshaw

Right, so he should do what we have always done, hope a magic wand will fix us?
Its clear Jose told the board but they didnt listen, Ralf knows the only way is to get the fans on board.
Erm, which is what I said. You know, the bit you cut out.

Roane

I personally knew about RR before he took over at UTD and in conversations had said we need someone like him. This was a couple of years back. So when we die get him I was happy enough.

Ultimately results on the pitch have made him a failure and statistically the worst manager post SAF.

However I'm not as down hearted as some folk.

What I would say is that it's hard to blame a manager when you apply a certain context to proceedings. And I apply this to Ole as well.

With Ole the inexperience was obvious. So why they surrounded him with more inexperience was, for me, astounding. I have no gripe with likes of Carrick, for example, on a coaching staff. However to begin his career with Ole was hard to understand. Basically two newbies.

Similarly with RR he got appointed, which for me was good, but the warning bells started ringing when he had to get MLS people as staff because, let's face it, nobody was available or willing to come for 6 months.

Other factors also didn't help. So for example loaning out Martial was a smart move when it happened but greenwood situation made it a bad move in hindsight especially with a Cavani who didn't play much.

Once the on field results became what they became I still hold hope that the club have taken the right decision, albeit a few seasons late, to have a reset and RR will be a key factor in this.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If anything I want Ralf to be even more critical. Him torching the club and everything wrong here has more chance of being entertaining than the game against Palace.

johanovic

RR has pointed out by his comments what´s truly wrong on the playing site at United....lack of workrate, commitment and ability. He´s provided the hard facts during this reality check we are seeing infront of us. Pepole having a go at RR is similar to a person throwing a fit at the doctor when he presents you with a diagnosis we do not want to hear. Four fulltime managers in Moyes, van Gaal, Mourinho and Solskjaer since 2013....spent more on players than other clubs and pay higher wages than most...outcome = the worst bunch of players we have had in ages constantly failing to do their jobs under all those managers and this current team is dreadful. I think we made a brave choice in appointing RR to clean house and provide a hard reallity check. We have made a choice of appointing a modern manager in Ten Haag and meanwhile we are also cleaning house in the football structure at United.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Not making excuses for Rangnick but this client journalism has to end. Uploading quotes from sources with no credibility. The same thing Kuenssberg and No 10.
Can't these journalists spot a recurring theme with outgoing coaches. McKenna the "schoolmaster", Ole "not involved", Mourinho "aloof". This isn't journalism.
Just look at the replies. Fans see through this bullshit.

Marwood

Rio is basically talking about the Lingard stuff. Because he's always been a fan of Lingard.

I'd rather Ralf's approach. Just be straight. Rather than acting up and releasing a book after you've finished.

But has Ralf really said anything contentious? Or is it just footballers so used to being coddled?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Not making excuses for Rangnick but this client journalism has to end. Uploading quotes from sources with no credibility. The same thing Kuenssberg and No 10.
Can't these journalists spot a recurring theme with outgoing coaches. McKenna the "schoolmaster", Ole "not involved", Mourinho "aloof". This isn't journalism.
It's funny how managers before and after United seem to have fewer problems.

I can't wait for them to be unimpressed by EtH's training

Djemba-Djemba

The first time a group of players leaks stories over being unimpressed by the standard of training you might get most people sympathetic and believing them.

As you pointed out, when a core of players are leaking for the 4th or 5th manager in a row they are unhappy with training and other issues than fans have ran out of sympathy and patience for them.

Mourinho was a grumpy cnut and they hated him, but Ole was too easy going and nice and they didn't respect him, Ragnick will be seen as too old fashioned and a dinosaur and I'm sure when ETH arrives we'll see leaks saying he's working the players too hard and the instructions are too complex etc.

This squad is absolutely fecking toxic. They sound an absolute nightmare to manage.

Ragnick has been a disaster but I think most managers would struggle with this lot.

KeanoMagicHat

It’s shocking how much Kieran McKenna, highly regarded as a top young coach, got slated and blamed when United lost a few games. Now the next crowd are nowhere near the same level. Careful what you wish for, useless United players.

AndySmith1990

It's always the same shit with every manager; players are unhappy or "unimpressed" with something or other. Just get on with your jobs and follow instructions given to you like professionals, or do us all a favour and piss off to another club.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Whitwell is quite conscientious and follows the team on a day to day basis, traveling with them to games etc. He wouldn't put anything out there unless he had multiple corroborating sources. I know the players shoulder a lot of the blame but Rangnick has been a dud of an appointment and pretty much what you'd expect when you hire an administrator to do a day to day coaching job and expect him to get his pulse back with an irregular staff and a short time window.

Djemba-Djemba

Wasn't there a leak of the players being unhappy at the timing of training changing which meant they now had to drive home in the dark?

I mean how the feck are you meant to be successful with that attitude in the squad?

sugar_kane

Ralf pissing off to Barbados and coming back to training a day later than everyone else during a crisis is quite funny / shocking.

He’s treated as an oracle by some but the man doesn’t give a shite. He’s won the lottery.

R'hllor

Wasn't there a leak of the players being unhappy at the timing of training changing which meant they now had to drive home in the dark?

I mean how the feck are you meant to be successful with that attitude in the squad?
You really cant make that shit up.

Regarding Rio, "relax, show some respect to people around" now thats actually funny.

Rolaholic

These clowns did the same and with Ole, McKenna etc as you mentioned. Quite sure they would've bitched and moaned about training under Conte too had we hired him

El Jefe

Just because you don't like the report doesn't mean its not true. From what I'm seeing on the pitch the sessions really must be disastrous.

Some of you are happy to hear the 'truth' about the players and them getting blasted in public and in dossiers but don't want the same for the coaches and RR.

There are probably 50 people within close proximity of our training sessions or close enough to the squad to get a feel of the atmosphere. There is no dressing room that is kept completely airtight, especially when a team isn't performing well. This could happen in any team as all you need is just one person to leak a story.

stevoc

I think that was back when the squad was split into different training groups due to Covid cases in the squad. It seems the group that were in last were unhappy training so late in the day, having to make their way home in the dark and having less free time in the afternoon to do the things they normally do.

Mmm-Qatarian

Just because you don't like the report doesn't mean its not true. From what I'm seeing on the pitch the sessions really must be disastrous.

Some of you are happy to hear the 'truth' about the players and them getting blasted in public and in dossiers but don't want the same for the coaches and RR.

There are probably 50 people within close proximity of our training sessions or close enough to the squad to get a feel of the atmosphere. There is no dressing room that is kept completely airtight, especially when a team isn't performing well. This could happen in any team as all you need is just one person to leak a story.
I made a far more extensive post about it on the "It's the players, not the manager" thread but the lack of senior coaching pedigree within our coaching staff throughout the season is completely staggering. Honestly, as much as he's the most maligned on here Mike Phelan is quite possibly also the most qualified for the role of anybody we've had in position this season, and that really isn't saying a whole lot given his most recent roles.

I understand people are completely sick of this squad right now, and I can entirely sympathise with that viewpoint, but it's equally pretty clear to me that the standard of coaching this year has been utterly shite and I think it's somewhat imprudent to dismiss that notion just because you don't like the players.

OneUnited24

It’s shocking how much Kieran McKenna, highly regarded as a top young coach, got slated and blamed when United lost a few games. Now the next crowd are nowhere near the same level. Careful what you wish for, useless United players.
However at the time I heard the same stories around how the players didn’t rate Carrick or McKenna. Garbage squad that think they’re better than they are

spiriticon

These players complain that the coaches are not up to standard, and then complain again when Ralf tries to make them play a modern gegenpressing style, and then complain again when training goes past 5pm.

FML honestly. Just feck off the lot of you.

Do they think they can download skills and tactics into their brains in seconds, like in the Matrix?

Longshanks

Its always the same in any club when there is a very bad spell, unless there is a fair excuse injury crisis or whatever, the leaks always start about training methods etc etc, its the players attempting to absolve themlselves of the blame but In fairness to the players this time it was the manager that started firing shots accusing the players of being lazy having bad attitudes and not being up to the task first, so inevitably there is going to be stories coming from the dressing room about how the coaching and managing isnt up to scratch. The truth as ever is somewhere in the middle a combination of shit management/coaching and players (some not good enough/some not pulling there weight) not performing.

The squad is more than capable of achieving a top 4 finish, we were underachieving when we sacked Ole, and I would say we have got worse and underachieved even more under rangnick. The performances of the last third of the season have probably been the worst of any United side iv ever seen. The manager and the players are both to blame for that. Thankfully next season we will have a new management and coaching setup and we should see a fair bit of shake up with the playing staff aswell.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Exactly.

More excuses now instead of players being willing to take responsibility. If training is SO poor, why not organise yourselves? Do we really believe John Terry, Frank Lampard and Didier Drogba got to Moscow in 2008 because of the quality of Avram Grant's coaching?

This squad hides. They're professional hiders. When things go wrong they all duck for cover and look for someone else to blame. I think I've read stories about the players disliking training under every single coach since Sir Alex. Bloody hell, it wasn't that long ago we were reading about McKenna only having dealt with youth teams and not being able to inspire big players.

Maybe these so-called big players should front up and stop pointing the finger at others?

Ralf's failed as a manager. No question about that. However, he's torn the plaster off this mess and for that I'll always have a soft spot for him.

Tavern in the town

More excuses now instead of players being willing to take responsibility. If training is SO poor, why not organise yourselves? Do we really believe John Terry, Frank Lampard and Didier Drogba got to Moscow in 2008 because of the quality of Avram Grant's coaching?
What are you even saying? What’s the point of having a manager at all if you think it’s that simple?

AneRu

Ultimately Ralf has failed as a man manager and leader but these players are a disgrace to be honest. Ralf isn't to blame for them failing to do the basics, give enough effort on the pitch or fully apply themselves in games - if they did the bare minimum expected of a top four side the club wouldn't be in this mess.

The problem now is that we are losing so many squad players, with the players reputations at an all time low, it will be difficult to shift them and rebuild the squad with fresh players who possess better attitudes. We are in for a long painful transition especially with the blundering Glazers at the top who don't fully grasp the enormity of the task ahead and the level of investment needed over the next 18 months.

AneRu

What are you even saying? What’s the point of having a manager at all if you think it’s that simple?
I think he is right, that Chelsea side had leaders throughout so its not implausible that these players played a far bigger role off the pitch than just playing. Grant, hasn't achieved anything of note as a manager since but here at United, when confronted with a similar situation our over pampered players just gave up and fell apart.

Tavern in the town

I think he is right, that Chelsea side had leaders throughout so its not implausible that these players played a far bigger role off the pitch than just playing. Grant, hasn't achieved anything of note as a manager since but here at United, when confronted with a similar situation our over pampered players just gave up and fell apart.
That isn’t a comparable situation at all. That was 2008. Football since then has become much more sophisticated tactically speaking. Players can’t simply be left to it because they need to be taught a coordinated press, as well as having a build up structure that lets them play through a press and repeatable methods of chance creation.

Tiber

Out of his depth since the moment he arrived. Excellent at blaming other people in press conferences, but utterly hopeless at improving a team.

The narrative that has somehow built up that he wasn't hired to improve results, but is only here to brief the next manager is beyond bizarre.

Status
Not open for further replies.