Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Could just as easily be damage control by Rangnick. He had plenty of opportunities to bring in younger players to make up for a lack of physicality - he chose not to do that.

He must have thought that the quality of the players involved would be enough to secure results despite their lack of pressing ability or w/e, but clearly he could hardly have done worse if he put faith in younger lads and had some of them recalled from loan.
Damage control? The whole article is damning! How on earth is it damage control!?

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
That article is quite damming. Those tweets dont paint the complete picture. Complete failure from top to bottom

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Does everyone here have an Athletic subscription? If not, how do you read the articles?

Eddy_JukeZ

That article doesn't give you much hope for the future.

Ten Hag has a massive job on his hands.

mu4c_20le

Glass half full, to me it suggests that the united coaches aren't completely useless, and helped Rangnick a lot. His biggest issue is that he dawdles too much. ETH seems the complete opposite.

Eddy_JukeZ

Glass half full, to me it suggests that the united coaches aren't completely useless, and helped Rangnick a lot. His biggest issue is that he dawdles too much. ETH seems the complete opposite.
I don't think our current coaching staff is good enough.

At least we know now why Armas was always wearing air-pods.

Loon

:lol:
Manager and team obviously hated each other. This is the result.

Thing is, player power didn't win here and Rangnick now has the chance to let ten Hag know what he's dealing with.

Now, it's how ten Hag deals with it.

TsuWave

These articles are always super convenient. They read like damage control with a bunch of fabrications from the journalist - this is not to say these things aren’t necessarily true, I just find the timing of these revelations weird

Ludens the Red

Starting Dalot ahead of wan Bissaka against Zaha must be one of the most stupid decisions made by a United coach since 2013 and there have been many . It’s literally the one type of player awb is suited to playing against. Zaha also said repeatedly that he hated facing him in training. Perfect opportunity to win a psychological battle and he picks that fecking idiot Dalot.

Red-17

The club tried to convince both to stay. This was also reported at the time by The Athletic, and to be fair to Mitten, he said right from the week they left it was an issue.

I don’t know how anyone could read that article and produce that opinion.
Yeah honestly that seems to have been the biggest issue. An interim manager needs to hit the ground running to right the ship. Having a manager who hasn't managed in a handful of years along with clearly inexperienced assistants, it's no wonder there was discontent about the quality of the training sessions. First impressions are important especially when the squad morale was/is clearly in the toilet.

Seems like the club just did no preparation for Ole getting sacked which is just baffling seeing as he was a dead man walking after Liverpool. Even if Ralf was their ideal man, they should have ensured he actually could put together an effective coaching set up before hiring him. We would have been better off sticking with Carrick and McKenna than what we ended up with.

Red-17

Certainly paints a bleak picture. Doesn't really pain any of the players, Ralf and co, or the upper management in a good light. Certainly sounds like there are massive factions within the squad (Ronaldo heavily implied to be a major contributor in the article). The only real explanation for how we could so dramatically drop off from last season is a breakdown in the squad morale. Seems like Maguire is not respected as a leader by a portion of the squad either, and with players like Varane and Ronaldo around, its easy to see what has changed from last season. We went from a squad that genuinely seemed to play for one another to a complete mess within about a year.

In the end, it is up to the manager to control the dressing room with huge personalities, and it seems obvious that Ole and Ralf did not have the ability to do that, nevermind the actual tactics out on the pitch. There is nothing worse than a team that has groups pulling in different directions, but that is exactly what looks to have happened.

stevoc

I’ll be honest it doesn’t sound good for next season if a bug chunk of these players stay
They'll have a much better manager and better coaches though. With most of the bad element gone and a few shrewd signings things could change quickly, this squad isn't nearly bad as it's looked this season.

DSG

Nope. You don't get to put this on the Germans. Klopp and Tuchel are obviously going to be complimentary when asked, but that's about it.
But what really should have given you pause is that of all posters here, the German ones were clearly the most reserved, cautionary, or puzzled about this Rangnick saga. Not just me, also @do.ob , and even @stefan92 who as a Hannover fan understandably is fond of Rangnick wasn't among the most enthusiastic. We all knew Rangnick wasn't really all that, at that level, and usually German posters defend and promote all things German.

It's you who generated the hype all by yourselves. Because you wanted it so much. You were lapping it all up. You didn't want to hear anything else.
You had him pegged mate from the very beginning.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Manager and team obviously hated each other. This is the result.

Thing is, player power didn't win here and Rangnick now has the chance to let ten Hag know what he's dealing with.

Now, it's how ten Hag deals with it.
In six months' time he may be too hagged to deal with it.

The United

Nope. You don't get to put this on the Germans. Klopp and Tuchel are obviously going to be complimentary when asked, but that's about it.
But what really should have given you pause is that of all posters here, the German ones were clearly the most reserved, cautionary, or puzzled about this Rangnick saga. Not just me, also @do.ob , and even @stefan92 who as a Hannover fan understandably is fond of Rangnick wasn't among the most enthusiastic. We all knew Rangnick wasn't really all that, at that level, and usually German posters defend and promote all things German.

It's you who generated the hype all by yourselves. Because you wanted it so much. You were lapping it all up. You didn't want to hear anything else.
A couple of German posters, I believe, even stated that his students who followed him strictly did not get too much success while the rest who copied some from him and developed their own ways became the likes of Tuchel, Klopp.

That's when I realized it could be the reason why almost no one heard of this guy (even with the hype coming after United hired him).

Jibbs

He should have been made DoF long time ago instead of that nepotistic appointment Fletcher.

stevoc

The club tried to convince both to stay. This was also reported at the time by The Athletic, and to be fair to Mitten, he said right from the week they left it was an issue.
They were both under contract they didn't need to be convinced, if for whatever reason Ralf and the club allowed Carrick to leave ok fair enough. But after that McKenna should have been told he'd have to wait until the end of the season to leave if Rangnick was relying on him to assist him.

I don’t know how anyone could read that article and produce that opinion.
Which article?

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
His reign has been horrific.

But I'd reserve judgement really, he was on a hiding to nothing from day 1.

Coming into a group of overpaid prima donna's, on a time limited contract, and was expected to turn a sows ear into, well something that wasn't a sows ear.

Much of what we've seen may have been the result of tactical naivety, but, for me at least, the most glaring aspect has been the total lack of effort of players, many of whom have seemed happy to thread water, knowing they don't need to listen to this guy, because the next manager is on the way.

I'm quite happy that he will still be involved, in the hope that some of these "players" might have to finally face the consequences.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
If you read the article you will know that like any management job, you always start off with a plan but that usually goes out the window when you are in the fog of the job when you react and counter-react and then it spirals away from the original plan.
I always say that after six months into a management job, you tend not to be able to see the forest for the trees. Thus the importance of the original plan -- you need to go back and refer to it as some guiding light after six months.
From my perspective, the reason Rangnick compromised so much that it didn't even look like any of his ideas were left is because:
1) the job was much bigger than he had anticipated
2) he had no previous experience in dealing with such a monster as big as United or so many stars in the past. As a result, he didn't know how to pull the different factions together. (The team was in relative unison for the previous two seasons but was highly fractured this season -- the biggest change was Ronaldo.)

Getting ETH to hire a coach/personal who he trust and is familiar with the PL is definitely a Ralf's idea -- a lessons learnt.

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
This is probably the biggest thing revealed so far, imo. It's the clique problem that destabilised Ole in the early season and ruined Rangnick in the late season.

I would guess that Pogba is the one who wanted 'enjoyment and fun'. And probably Ronaldo is the one who wanted formation work. They're easily the two biggest personalities in the squad, at any rate.

This probably explains why things went so badly after his signing. Not that I'm blaming Ronaldo. He'd be absolutely correct in wanting more structure to our training. But you can see why it would divide the dressing room and cause disharmony to spill over onto the pitch. For the rest of the players it would be like picking between mummy and daddy in a divorce.

AFC NimbleThumb

You don't think most of the players with bad attitudes will be leaving this summer?
If by ‘players’ you mean Pogba [20 League appearances] & Lingard [16 League appearances] then no because I think the issues run deeper, for all the hate Pogba gets I’ve never heard Maguire [club captain] discussed in terms like this.

I guess it’s all subjective but I think we’ve still got more than 2 bad characters left.

I mention league appearances as Pogba in particular has had limited impact on match day squads due to his absences this season. Lingard has indeed sulked on the bench a few times more.

AshRK

Are people still defending his shitshow of a job as our manager. I feel for Austria. The guy is just talks good but don't see him as a good manager.

Irwin99

Obviously you never know if these things are complete crap but if true I wonder if Bruno was the one who wanted to play with enjoyment and fun. He seems such a chaotic player at times i can't imagine him in a system with responsibility.

Matthew1972

You don't think most of the players with bad attitudes will be leaving this summer?
Nope. Leaving are Mata, Matic, Pogba, Cavani, possibly Lingard and Garner. The rest of the shit pile will stay unless there is someone out there huffin' goofballs and willing to pay big money for turd sauce.

stevoc

If by ‘players’ you mean Pogba [20 League appearances] & Lingard [16 League appearances] then no because I think the issues run deeper, for all the hate Pogba gets I’ve never heard Maguire [club captain] discussed in terms like this.
Not sure what relevance their league appearances have. They don't need to be on the pitch to be a bad influence and have a negative effect on the squad.

I guess it’s all subjective but I think we’ve still got more than 2 bad characters left.
Yeah I'd agree which is why I said most of the bad element.

stevoc

Nope. Leaving are Mata, Matic, Pogba, Cavani, possibly Lingard and Garner. The rest of the shit pile will stay unless there is someone out there huffin' goofballs and willing to pay big money for turd sauce.
Pogba, Lingard, Cavani (he's had a terrible attitude this season for me), probably Martial, Bailly and Henderson.

The majority of the rest of the squad ETH will hopefully be able to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.