Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flameinthesun

Looking at PL stats:

Ralf first 8 PL matches (5 wins , 2 draws, 1 loss). 12 goals scored, 6 conceded: Expected goals against us: 8,53
Oles last 8 PL matches (2 wins, 1 draw, 5 losses) 9 goals scored, 18 conceded: Expected goals against us: 15,4

If we look at the stats for those teams:

Teams VS Ole's United:

Average goals scored combined: 13,55
Average expected goals combined: 13,1
Actual XG: 17,51
Actual goals scored vs United: 18

Average goals against: 11,1
Average expected goals against: 10,27
Actual XGA: 11,02

Teams VS Ralf's United:

Average goals scored combined: 9,09
Average expected goals combined: 9,04
Actual XG: 8,53
Actual goals scored vs united: 6

Average goals against: 12,4
Average expected goals against: 12,02
Actual XGA: 12,48

I think people are going slightly overboard in terms of just how much we control matches and how big the difference is. Under Ralf we've generally played against teams that will sit back and try to hit us on the counter. Yet, teams have generally had a higher xg against us than they do on average. The major offsets are Crystal Palace, Ralfs first match, and West Ham yesterday, but it wasn't until the 92,5min that we created the chance that completely changes the stats, otherwise we'd be way below the average, and even that was a result of a counter rather than sustained pressure. We were lucky not to be 2 goals down at half time against Brentford as well, which would have made it very difficult.

I thought Crystal Palace was the best match we've played under Ralf, so I'm a bit surprised that the West Ham performance is being praised so much in the media. We were extremely high up the pitch and didn't allow Crystal Palace to do much. Crystal Palace had 350 passes with av pass streak 3 and a 71% pass succ rate, much closer to how I expected us to generally try to play under Ralf. West Ham had 432 passes, avg pass streak 4 and with a 75% succ rate. West Ham were happy to allow us to have the ball and rarely put us under much pressure until we went past the midfield, they ventured forward a bit more in the second half and the match became more open, but i thought they were surprisingly negative yesterday, but that might be a direct result of their huge loss against Leeds, who had an XG of 2,27 against West Ham (avg is 1,4) and scored 3 (avg is 1,34), not to mention Moyes and his horrible stats at OT.

Brentford put us under plenty of pressure the times they decided to apply collective pressing high up the pitch, one of their biggest chances was a direct result of that.

For me, it's still a fairly valid concern that our control so far is more a result of the opposition rather than a major improvement on our side. I think we look much better as a team, especially in terms of putting pressure at the right time and as a team rather than individuals, but is that because of the opposition and Ralf, or just Ralf. How much improvement can be seen when we play against sides that will more or less constantly put us under pressure and allow us very little time on the ball, will our stats remain similar or will we revert to giving away goals. It's also a major concern that our attackers spend most of the match looking completely disconnected from each other, not to mention the rest of the team. Given the players available up top, i must admit that i expected more of an instant change in direction, better communication and attacking football.

Then again, I could be completely wrong as well and simply not seeing the obvious.

Our next 10 matches: Boro, Burnley, Southampton,Leeds, Atletico, Watford, City,Tottenham, Atletico, Liverpool.

It'll be very interesting to see if there's a general improvement in our attacking football by the time we play Atletico.
Good stats and review!

However a few things. The palace match was the best example we've had of pressing under Ralf. It was also his first game and could be attributed to a bit of a new manager bounce as the games since then we have barely controlled. The reason the west ham game is getting praised (rightly so) is that there have been small improvements that we have been able to see that actually started to come together. For example the last 3 games we've started to play with a proper 3 in midfield and as a result we dominated the midfield of west ham, something which I dont think we've done since Newcastle and something that we were not really known for under Ole. Now this could be a one off, but the fact that we've seen signs of it in the previous two games to me shows that its something weve been working towards.

Another small thing to note is that both telles and dalot (moreso Dalot) help out centrally in the midfield. They are not quite playing fully as inverted fullbacks, but Dalot especially (due to having very good technique) often is getting the ball in right centre mid postions providing an extra option (similar to cancelo but not as extreme as him). Think of the amount of times we are seeing him underlap, pick up the ball on the edge of the box, making runs into box, picking up the ball centrally etc.This is also a reason we've gained more control in the mid third. Something we would not be able to do with awb.

In yesterday's match we were comfortable defensively and in the midfield for most of the match. If we can maintain that control whilst introducing some better attacking patterns of play then we are in for a bright future.

So yeah whilst the stats may say one thing, the reality is yesterday was our most controlled and mature match that we have played in a veryyyyy long time.

el3mel

Couldn't manage to watch the game yesterday but glad about the result of course. Hope the performance was good as well.

mctrials23

I agree that the first half of the first game under RR was probably the best we have looked but the reason we are happy about yesterday is because after that first half an hour we have looked rubbish for the most part and shown little change in all the areas that RR appears to value. Yesterday was the first time we have faced a decent side and dictated the game and not given away a slew of chances.

It might be a false dawn but the signs were there that we might be on the right trajectory. Players working for each other and the team, defensively solid, winning the ball back and forcing errors from the opposition, not getting overrun in midfield. It wasn't spectacular but it was progress.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Instead of obsessing over clean sheets he should be working with the forward players to improve in the final third of the pitch. Because if we didn't score that lucky stoppage time winner it would be because of the bad decisions in the final third and too many players shooting and wanting the glory headlines.. Greenwood is still as greedy and selfish as the first day Rangnick joined. So what are they doing in training or video analysts or with this fancy new mental coach?! Where's the improvement from Rangnick there?!

I fear he's spent too much time on the defensive side but it's the attack which is the main problem now.

Let's see now we don't play for 2 weeks if he improves anything in terms of decision making in the final third of the pitch. You know basic stuff you should learn when you are a kid.
Nonsensical rant. Everyone and their dog know that Greenwood ain't the problem. A soon to be 37 old on the other side...

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
It wasn’t lucky, the only reason people are saying so is because it came so late but it only takes a second to score in football and it’s no less valid scoring in the last minute as it is the first.
It was lucky in the sense that the game was always going to be either nil nil or settled by one goal that could have gone to either team.

talking robot

Clear progress for me in terms of defensive solidity, and I like the fact that RR is willing to drop underperformers. He seems to learn quickly from his mistakes as well. Now the question is whether he can improve the attack. I’m also curious to see if he can manage to bring in a bargain dm in january. Convincing a stubborn and football ignorant board seems like no small feat.

OleksUsykUD

I think he got a clear vision, and obviously he wants to reinforce the defense, and that's why we don't score so much goals, but if you want to build a decent team, you are always starting from the back.

The result so far, outside of the cup game are good.

mav_9me

Reading the last couple of pages, people seem to be happy we controlled the game yesterday.

I thought that was partly at least ( big reason why we looked in control imo) because Moyes and West Ham decided to sit back a bit. Anyone else see it that way?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Reading the last couple of pages, people seem to be happy we controlled the game yesterday.

I thought that was partly at least ( big reason why we looked in control imo) because Moyes and West Ham decided to sit back a bit. Anyone else see it that way?
There were a few times we gave away the ball or they intercepted it but we either won it back quickly by pressing or the defense avoided getting caught out and dealt with it well.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
That just sounds like football, not luck. As Fergie once said, you create your own luck
Well it was dumb of West Ham to chase the game so late on. And the goal came from a couple of errors and a move so close to offside that we were fortunate it wasn't. So I think luck played a part but yeah that is just shorthand for marginal unpredictable events piling up the right way. And yeah you have to be able to take advantage of luck when it comes along.

crossy1686

career ending
Well it was dumb of West Ham to chase the game so late on. And the goal came from a couple of errors and a move so close to offside that we were fortunate it wasn't. So I think luck played a part but yeah that is just shorthand for marginal unpredictable events piling up the right way. And yeah you have to be able to take advantage of luck when it comes along.
I hear what you're saying but we created that situation by throwing all our strikers on the pitch and going for it, so you can say luck but at the end of the day that doesn't happen if Ralf doesn't force the situation. Luck would be the West Ham goalie throwing the ball in his own net by mistake, yesterday's goal was crafted by our forward line. Tired legs and lack of concentration from West Ham, good movement and quick thinking from our forwards. Like I said, it was just football.

TheReligion

Abusive
saying this for weeks. No improvement. Poor decisions from the likes of greedy selfish Greenwood can't be fixed in a few weeks on the training field. It's the players mentality and ego that needs bringing down when they have won sweet F all.

need new players. Especially in the wide forward positions. They are not creative enough. Just shoot all the time.

Lucky result against West Ham. If we didn't score in the 90th minute stoppage time we would've drawn and it would be a different reaction on here. Fine margins.

United should've beat Wolves, Newcastle and Aston Villa. Most people thought we would've won most of our games in January and February.

also very lucky against Brentford as they battered United like a battered sausage in the 1st half and should've scored.

and don't forget how lucky we was to beat Aston Villa in the FA Cup with a dodgy VAR call. They played us off the park. So a few of them good results recently was fortunate. It's all about context.

let's see and judge Rangnick and the team in the next few games. Or will it be another false dawn. Too early to say because of the manner of the lucky late win against West Ham (they could've won it too with the chances they had)

knowing these overpaid players with a weak mentality probably think they are amazing because they beat West Ham they'll lose or draw another in the next few games because they get over-confident.
The same people praising him would be on here criticising him if we drew with West Ham (we got lucky with a 90th minute winner let's be honest) or we don't beat Middlesborough or lose against Burnley. It's the constant flip-flopping that grinds my gears.
Instead of obsessing over clean sheets he should be working with the forward players to improve in the final third of the pitch. Because if we didn't score that lucky stoppage time winner it would be because of the bad decisions in the final third and too many players shooting and wanting the glory headlines.. Greenwood is still as greedy and selfish as the first day Rangnick joined. So what are they doing in training or video analysts or with this fancy new mental coach?! Where's the improvement from Rangnick there?!

I fear he's spent too much time on the defensive side but it's the attack which is the main problem now.

Let's see now we don't play for 2 weeks if he improves anything in terms of decision making in the final third of the pitch. You know basic stuff you should learn when you are a kid.
Please stop posting

Herman Toothrot

He's certainly the nicest of the German managers working in the Premier League. Talks a great game and his handling of Martial, Ronaldo and Rashford was terrific.

Can he have much of an impact on the pitch? Hopefully. I think I can see it taking shape and I don't understand some of the more irrational rants in this thread, did they expect water from wine?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Nonsensical rant. Everyone and their dog know that Greenwood ain't the problem. A soon to be 37 old on the other side...
Check his post history. I think he’s a Ronaldo fan first.

Paula

Supports
Bayern
Man United interim boss Ralf Rangnick piles on the homework as he 'sends players home with hours and hours of footage to study... but some dismayed stars claim it interferes with their home life'

Enough said.

Lecland07

That performance against West Ham was probably the best performance of the season. It was easily the most controlled, and, for the first time in a long while, I didn't feel we would lose that game at any point.

There were issues yesterday, but those mainly related to the lack of creativity in the forwards (Ronaldo, Elanga, and Greenwood). That is something to work on.

It is a good performance to build on, though. I think Ragnick's work is starting to change things now.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
This is also how to use a squad by the way. Elanga has done alright for himself, but now that Rashford has scored twice off the bench no one will bat an eyelid if he starts next time. Then it's up to him to perform.
Similarly Maguire looked good yesterday so Lindelöf can't expect to walk into the lineup again.

Of course it also depends on training performances, but aiming for meritocracy in a squad is a very good thing.

Idxomer

Same for me, it was classic Moyes away from home against a big team. There's a reason he never wins any of those games.

Flexdegea

The results still have been poor recently. Newcastle and Wolves we should do better against and dropped points vs Villa.

Today was the best result, but got a bit lucky with the late goal. Hopefully it gives us confidence.

Spurs and Arsenal have better form than us so we are underdog right now for CL.

Arsenal don't have better form than us at the moment that's a myth

Blood Mage

Man United interim boss Ralf Rangnick piles on the homework as he 'sends players home with hours and hours of footage to study... but some dismayed stars claim it interferes with their home life'

Enough said.
Just shows how lacking in ambition some of our players are. Do they even want to improve or just carry on stealing a living?

El Jefe

I've been critical of him but what I've liked since the very beginning is his willingness to use his squad and make players earn their starting spot. Under Ole there was zero accountability or implications for a good or bad performance, the same players played no matter what.

We've seen Maguire, Rashford, Shaw, AWB and Bruno all dropped and Ronaldo subbed. It may get them in their feelings but it makes them work harder for their positions and follow the instruction of the coaches. This is more of a 'cultural reset' than anything Ole ever did. Players are getting their starts on merit, rather than status or nationality.

BorisManUtd

We've conceded 30 goals in the Prem so far this season, 21 out of those 30 came under Ole (in 12 games), 3 under Carrick in 2 games and 6 under Rangnick in 8 games. On average that's 1.75 goals conceded per game under Ole, 1.5 under Carrick and 0.75 under Rangnick.

Conceding almost 2 goals a game was crazy but at least we've improved that over last 2 months. Hopefully more there's more improvement as time and games go, in all areas.

arthurka

Making a habit of having a clean sheet gives teams a much better platform to win games. Most managers know this and try to apply this. Ole on the other hand thought the old Brazilian philosophy that if they score 3 we just score 4 was preferable. You will never get anywhere conceding 2 a game and thinking the attack will dig you out every single game. It was a very nice game to watch as we didn't look terrible at all. There is much to build on this performance.

Roux

Everything good comes from having a stable, solid defence. The leaking goals had to be addressed and Ralf has done that in quite a short amount of time - stange how you can't see that and think he's going to transform them into a world class team in every area within 2 months. Clueless.

Strootman's Finger

What was ‘lucky’ about our last minute winner? Quite a few posters have referred to it but I thought it was great football!
Agreed, that wasn't luck, that was a glimpse at vintage United, not giving up to the very end and winning in Fergie time. It was good football and it was deseved.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Bit disappointed that the players have been given a fair chunk of time off, rather than using the two weeks to really drill and hone some aspects of our play.

OneUnited24

Bit disappointed that the players have been given a fair chunk of time off, rather than using the two weeks to really drill and hone some aspects of our play.
Normally i'd agree but we've had a lot of games in quick consession so having a break can do wonders for recovery.

Greck

Normally i'd agree but we've had a lot of games in quick consession so having a break can do wonders for recovery.
True it's just the last time they came back from a break they had reverted to all their dysfunctional ways after a very promising start, although admittedly, under very different circumstances. Looking forward to continuity as I don't trust our players not to regress.

OneUnited24

True it's just the last time they came back from a break they had reverted to all their dysfunctional ways after a very promising start, although admittedly, under very different circumstances. Looking forward to continuity as I don't trust our players not to regress.
As you suggest the last break was under different circumstances. I also think people going away for the international break hurt as they would have not done any 'homework' for United. Here you hope they are still doing their video analysis assessments... even if they claim to hate them!

Red Bilko

Last Man Standing Hard Mode champion 2023/24
Its just all speculation. Nobody on this forum knows what's going on in the manager's mind or in the dressing room. Stop pretending you know something or you're are a mate of the guy that supplies the washing powder they us to wash the 1st team kit and that, somehow means you have the inside scoop.

Status
Not open for further replies.