Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Exactly. No manager walks into happy dressing room, if that's the case they wouldn't get the job as previous manager wouldn't have been sacked.
It is true what you say but everything depends 100% on how the players react to a new manager if he is to be successful. Ralf came in wielding the axe which at the time every single one of us was in agreement with by dropping previously undroppable players like Bruno, Rashford, AWB and Shaw which I'm sure didn't go down too well. He then had the audacity to make the squad work harder than its ever done which lasted all of 2 minutes because our players weren't prepared or were incapable of putting in a shift. Ralf also complained on various occasions that the players weren't following his instructions.

So putting aside other incidents like the cnut getting arrested, Rashford not giving a feck. Cavani turning up when he wanted. Pogba and Lingard already checked out and I'm sure stirring up some shit. Martial leaving just how was Rangnick supposed to deal with this squad? Of course Ralf had his faults, mainly his man management skills but when the players give a big feck you at such an early stage then no manager in world football is getting anything out of the squad which is why if Ralfs interim period serves for anything it's to give ETH a fighting chance to hit the ground running because I do believe if ETH had of came in instead of Ralf things wouldn't of been much better. Our players seem adverse to discipline. Something that's going to have to change when the new manager finally takes over and I for one will be sitting in the front row with my popcorn to watch how the situation is addressed.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It is true what you say but everything depends 100% on how the players react to a new manager if he is to be successful. Ralf came in wielding the axe which at the time every single one of us was in agreement with by dropping previously undroppable players like Bruno, Rashford, AWB and Shaw which I'm sure didn't go down too well. He then had the audacity to make the squad work harder than its ever done which lasted all of 2 minutes because our players weren't prepared or were incapable of putting in a shift. Ralf also complained on various occasions that the players weren't following his instructions.

So putting aside other incidents like the cnut getting arrested, Rashford not giving a feck. Cavani turning up when he wanted. Pogba and Lingard already checked out and I'm sure stirring up some shit. Martial leaving just how was Rangnick supposed to deal with this squad? Of course Ralf had his faults, mainly his man management skills but when the players give a big feck you at such an early stage then no manager in world football is getting anything out of the squad which is why if Ralfs interim period serves for anything it's to give ETH a fighting chance to hit the ground running because I do believe if ETH had of came in instead of Ralf things wouldn't of been much better. Our players seem adverse to discipline. Something that's going to have to change when the new manager finally takes over and I for one will be sitting in the front row with my popcorn to watch how the situation is addressed.
See, you are just blaming everyone on the players. What if Rangnick set up was so shit and unclear, it gave players no chance? I mean we are talking about top level football where every detail matters.

Rangnick was taking inputs from the guy who was seated in different country and didn't even have all the info.

He should get some benefit of doubt as he didn't have backroom staff he wanted but not everything should be blamed on the manager. Why didn't we give same excuses for Moyes?

End of the day Rangnick did awful job as interim coach. Like others said, when his only positive point was "telling truth" you how how bad his stint was.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
See, you are just blaming everyone on the players. What if Rangnick set up was so shit and unclear, it gave players no chance? I mean we are talking about top level football where every detail matters.

Rangnick was taking inputs from the guy who was seated in different country and didn't even have all the info.

He should get some benefit of doubt as he didn't have backroom staff he wanted but not everything should be blamed on the manager. Why didn't we give same excuses for Moyes?

End of the day Rangnick did awful job as interim coach. Like others said, when his only positive point was "telling truth" you how how bad his stint was.
Maybe the fairest compromise would be to say we didn't have the players to fit Ralfs philosophy. His system requires everyone working together and defending from the front. Ours couldn't or weren't prepared or put in the work necessary to make it work, so yes. You could be right that Ralf didn't have a plan B although after a month of realising his 4-2-2-2 wasn't working he did try other formations but by that time he'd already lost the players. It is an accumulation of factors and I don't rate Ralf as a manager but there's a lot more involved than people continually saying Ralfs shit as to why it all went south.

roonster09

Scout
Maybe the fairest compromise would be to say we didn't have the players to fit Ralfs philosophy. His system requires everyone working together and defending from the front. Ours couldn't or weren't prepared or put in the work necessary to make it work, so yes. You could be right that Ralf didn't have a plan B although after a month of realising his 4-2-2-2 wasn't working he did try other formations but by that time he'd already lost the players. It is an accumulation of factors and I don't rate Ralf as a manager but there's a lot more involved than people continually saying Ralfs shit as to why it all went south.
Yeah, there are lot of contributing factors. I hope his 2 year consultant period is worth it, there was some article that he is involved in transfers.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Yeah, there are lot of contributing factors. I hope his 2 year consultant period is worth it, there was some article that he is involved in transfers.
I don't know if you remember but a few years ago when it was first announced we were looking for a DOF, Ralfs name (I think) came out top of the list. It just seems a little strange to me because he failed in a job he wasn't overly qualified for a lot of people just want him out of the club instead of giving him a chance in the one job he has a lot of experience in.

Surely he still has his contacts inside Germany on any up and coming players that may make the grade. Just for that alone he'd be worth listening to and personally I hope he does get a say in transfers because he has discovered some gems. Haaland, Mane, Neuer, Kimmich, Konate, Werner, Alaba (loan spell) Firminho, Smith Rowe (loan spell) Upamecano and Keita to name but a few.

roonster09

Scout
I don't know if you remember but a few years ago when it was first announced we were looking for a DOF, Ralfs name (I think) came out top of the list. It just seems a little strange to me because he failed in a job he wasn't overly qualified for a lot of people just want him out of the club instead of giving him a chance in the one job he has a lot of experience in.

Surely he still has his contacts inside Germany on any up and coming players that may make the grade. Just for that alone he'd be worth listening to and personally I hope he does get a say in transfers because he has discovered some gems. Haaland, Mane, Neuer, Kimmich, Konate, Werner, Alaba (loan spell) Firminho, Smith Rowe (loan spell) Upamecano and Keita to name but a few.
Yeah, Rangnick's ability as a coach and as DoF are completely unrelated, hopefully we can sign few young players who can add lot to our team.

90 + 5min

So likewise can we say players went crazy because of Jose? It can't be one sided.

I don't know why we always have to give excuses for manager's poor behavior.

We are not winning, so all these narratives are building. Once we start winning, everything will be again back to normal. That's how it works at every club.
It can't be onesided but manager is manager. Players are only players. They should do what they are told to do. It is their job. To put it very simple. If manager say run, they should run. If manager say jump, they should jump. Managers are managers.

Excuses? There are no excuses and if anything people have been throwing managers under the bus whoever they were. Look at managers threads. Just because they love some player and can't accept that player they think is world star is actually average to poor with few good game in a season.

roonster09

Scout
It can't be onesided but manager is manager. Players are only players. They should do what they are told to do. It is their job. To put it very simple. If manager say run, they should run. If manager say jump, they should jump. Managers are managers.

Excuses? There are no excuses and if anything people have been throwing managers under the bus whoever they were. Look at managers threads. Just because they love some player and can't accept that player they think is world star is actually average to poor with few good game in a season.
Couldn't disagree more but there is no point, it's not as if any of us are going to change our views.

stevoc

I have managed many big international IT and business consulting projects. In every project there were consultants that didn't adhere to the guidelines and rules as well as key users from the customer side who were slowing down progress as they had their own agendas.
As project manager you have to identify the potential trouble makers who might endanger the project targets and cause a negative atmosphere. Of course you first talk to them and try to bring them back into line. Sometime this works, sometime it doesn't. Then you have to escalate the issues to the steering committee (board} and ask for replacements. If they don't back you, then it's best to step down as project manager as in most cases you won't be able to meet your targets.
Rangnick identified the issues and wasn't able to solve these internally. Neither could he manage the players, not could he get the support of the board. That's when he came out publicly. Probably as last resort to force the boards hands.
You can say he is a bad man manager and should be able to bring the players back into line, scaling back their egos and personal interests for the good of the team. Sure he failed there. But so did Jose, who is one of the top 5 managers of all time and Ole whose biggest strengths were being the nice guy and creating a feel good atmosphere (mate FC I remember).
You could have summed it up with just the he failed part mate.

He started spouting shit in public not to force the United's boards hands and likely not for the benefit of Manchester United in any way. He realized he was out of his depth and went into damage limitation mode to protect his own reputation. It was round about the same time he hired Honigstein and the Ralf PR campaign started.

stevoc

Objectively, Ralf failed. Maybe Ole could have done better (if he had reverted to counter-attacking). After all, this was squad he built. But this change is good for us in the long run since we are moving away from that style of play and Ralf's style is closer to ETH's. So this saves some time in the pre-season training.
Have we been playing in Ralf's style?

PedroMendez

Acolyte
You could have summed it up with just the he failed part mate.

He started spouting shit in public not to force the United's boards hands and likely not for the benefit of Manchester United in any way. He realized he was out of his depth and went into damage limitation mode to protect his own reputation. It was round about the same time he hired Honigstein and the Ralf PR campaign started.
Of course he failed, but I don't think that he spouted shit. He was honest and few exceptions aside that shouldn't upset players. These players were humiliated multiple times before he took over and threw the manager under the bus, that bought half the squad.
What is certainly true is, that Rangnick couldn't convince the players to follow his ideas and once a manager loses the dressing room, there is no point in keeping him regardless of who is to blame. Usually Rangnick should have been replaced after a couple of games and another care-taker should have finished the season. Maybe United would have finished 4th.

Rangnick failing isn't even a surprise. He is not a great manager and relies heavily on pressing + quick transitions, something the current team can't do. His approach is extremely one-sided and hopefully ETH is a lot more balanced. The results speak for themselves. Rangnick did a terrible job.

Yet, Rangnick failing doesn't rehabilitate the players. Lets not forget what happened against Leicester, Liverpool, City and Watford. Lets not forget all the tumescent performances before that. If the player continue to refuse to work hard in both directions, it doesn't matter who stands on the side-line.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Or Rangnick is way past his best as a coach and his expertise is at different areas?
My original post was actually about this broad optimism about ETH being able to finally fix all issues and bring United back to the top. I had no intention to defend Rangnick. It's clear he failed in his job. I just don't understand the optimism that ETH with his qualities and weaknesses will perform any better.

No manager will be walking in to happy squad, the reason they even got the job is because previous one got sacked, biggest reason is always poor results which means you will have squad with poor morale.
Still there are huge differences. Look at Bayern 2019 or Chelsea 2021. These were teams clearly underperforming but the squad composition and effort was no issue. Flick, with much less credentials and even longer out business managing a team, and Tuchel walked in, did some reshuffling and tweaking and had almost immediate success.
The issues with United go much, much deeper.

It's managers job to manage.
True! However, Rangnick was a terrible choice in the first place as he plays a high energy football and the team already had fitness issues playing Ole ball.
Thus, when you want to play Rangnick's football and the players weren't able, the only way in mid of the season is to sign a couple of suitable players. But the board rejected all suggestions. Zacharia would have cost peanuts but still Rangnick wasn't allowed to get him in.
I guess that was the time when both the team and Rangnick gave up.

Last edited:

roonster09

Scout
My original was actually about this brush optimism about ETH being able to finally fix all issues and bring United back to the top. I had no intention to defend Rangnick. It's clear he failed in his job. I just don't see why ETH with his qualities and weaknesses will perform better.

Still there are huge differences. Look at Bayern 2019 or Chelsea 2021. These were teams clearly underperforming but the squad composition and effort was no issue. Flick, with much less credentials and even longer out business managing a team and Tuchel walked in, did some reshuffling and tweaking and had almost immediate success.
The issues with United go much, much deeper.

True! However, Rangnick was a terrible for in the first place as he plays a high energy football and the team already had fitness issues playing Ole ball.
Thus, when you want to play Rangnick's football and the players weren't able, the only way in mid of the season is to sign a couple of suitable players. But the board rejected all suggestions. Zacharia would have cost peanuts but still Rangnick wasn't allowed to get him in.
If you can't see why Manutd fans are optimistic with ETH then I don't know what to tell. Also I don't get this attitude "if Rangnick can't, ETH can't too", we are not talking about GOAT manager, we are talking about a coach who barely held coach position last decade. One was winning titles with Ajax, setting up team awesomely vs big teams and other was busy with ted talk shows.

"I had no intention to defend Rangnick" and all you have done is defend his failed stint and some (with all due respect) ridiculous excuses. You just pulled out some random name and came up with "board rejected this player".

Last edited:

Djemba-Djemba

fecking hell, I hope we don't carry on playing in the same "style" as we did under Ragnick.

It's been a fecking disaster, horrendous performances and even worse results.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
You think we should be pessimistic, miserable bastards instead?
I didn't mean that. I just surprised about the euphoria about the signing off ETH after the failure of Rangnick.

It's just a little more than 6 months when the board was as positive and euphoric about the signing of Ralf.
Even then I was very surprised to hire Rangnick for just 6 months. It actually was very obvious he didn't have the time and the players to implement the kind of football he wants to play.
Latest when the board didn't approve any signings in January it was pretty obvious Rangnick will fail in getting top 4.

Now again you hired a coach that is playing a high energy and demanding system. We don't know the ins and outs bit given the current squad I can't see he will be much more successful than Ralf. Too many of United's players just aren't made for this kind of football.
A coach of the mold of Ancelotti would have been a much better fit in my opinion.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
One was winning titles with Ajax, setting up team awesomely vs big team
Winning the league with Ajax is like winning the league with PSG or Bayern. That's just expected. I think even Frank de Boer did it several times.

They had one good season in the CL. I give you that. The last couple of years they were rather underwhelming.

"I had no intention to defend Rangnick" and all you have done is defend his failed stint and some (with all due respect) ridiculous excuses. You just pulled out some random name and came up with "board rejected this player"
My point is if you bring in a new manager with to totally different style, you have to give him time and you need to adjust the squad accordingly. Birth didn't happen, so it was clear Rangnick must fail. Even Pep couldn't have changed much I'm the mid of a packed season without any new signings.

HookedOnAPhelan

I didn't mean that. I just surprised about the euphoria about the signing off ETH after the failure of Rangnick.

It's just a little more than 6 months when the board was as positive and euphoric about the signing of Ralf.
Even then I was very surprised to hire Rangnick for just 6 months. It actually was very obvious he didn't have the time and the players to implement the kind of football he wants to play.
Latest when the board didn't approve any signings in January it was pretty obvious Rangnick will fail in getting top 4.

Now again you hired a coach that is playing a high energy and demanding system. We don't know the ins and outs bit given the current squad I can't see he will be much more successful than Ralf. Too many of United's players just aren't made for this kind of football.
A coach of the mold of Ancelotti would have been a much better fit in my opinion.
Nobody expects a complete turnaround next season though. This is clearly a long term project.

Ancelotti would be a short term quick fix at best.

roonster09

Scout
Winning the league with Ajax is like winning the league with PSG or Bayern. That's just expected. I think even Frank de Boer did it several times.

They had one good season in the CL. I give you that. The last couple of years they were rather underwhelming.

My point is if you bring in a new manager with to totally different style, you have to give him time and you need to adjust the squad accordingly. Birth didn't happen, so it was clear Rangnick must fail. Even Pep couldn't have changed much I'm the mid of a packed season without any new signings.
So why are you comparing midseason with full season?

Again "Even Pep couldn't have changed", fecking hell we are talking about Rangnick, not Pep, Klopp or SAF. You think if Rangnick can't, no one can. Maybe you rate him so highly, I don't know.

All you have done is play down ETH achievements and big up Rangnick achievements, came up with ridiculous excuses for his failures for some weird reasons.

He won league with Ajax ?So did de Boer. He beat Dortmund, so did St Pauli. fecking hell, it's so childish, it's hilarious at same time.

stevoc

Of course he failed, but I don't think that he spouted shit. He was honest and few exceptions aside that shouldn't upset players. These players were humiliated multiple times before he took over and threw the manager under the bus, that bought half the squad.
Spouted shit/spoke honestly whatever, we can dress it up however we like but the majority of the stuff he said in his press conferences from around February onwards was about protecting his own reputation as opposed to some altruistic endeavour to improve United's fortunes.

stevoc

This squad finished in the top 4 the previous two seasons, Ronaldo, Sancho and Varane were added to that squad, we were 3 points off 4th when he took over. It wasn't obvious at all in fact given how inconsistent Spurs and Arsenal have been it should have been achievable enough, we ended up 13 points off 4th closer to Brentford in 13th than Spurs in the end.

He should been playing whatever football got results as opposed to trying and failing to change the teams style/formation and players positions mid-season. Very few Interims get to sign players and until recently he had been saying the squad was too big, which is why he allowed Martial, DVB and almost Lingard to leave in January.

Maticmaker

Its all in the perspective you take, I think from what I've seen the players were not in any mood to change anything. For many of them Ronaldo's return was sign that they were facing a situation where the more things change the more they stayed the same and they saw Ralf as an interloper, the grim reaper, someone sent in to ensure they failed... and they duly obliged him, believing perhaps with him gone things can only get better.

I wonder how many players cards have been marked by Ralf for ETH... of course (@stevoc .. in the dossier that doesn't exist) ;)

city-puma

Really naive and full of nonsense!

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Rangnick managed both RB Leipzig, the current number 3 in German football, and Schalke 04 in a time where they were considered a top 3 club as well. He reached the cup final trice and won it once with Schalke. He lead Schalke and RB Leipzig to 2nd and 3rd places in the Bundesliga.

Sure it's hard to compare between different leagues but I think the size and strength of the clubs are at least of similar level.
As a Schalke coach he obviously never coached Dortmund. Bayern would never appoint him due to ongoing quarrels with the board. Not for footballing reasons. You can compare the situation with Christoph Daum who was a top coach but never had a chance to manage Munich.

I only remember that Hassenhüttl hit a ceiling and that season things were even going downwards. They only finished 6th and his football was seen as too one dimensional. They wanted Nagelsmann but he wasn't yet available and Rangnick was the care taker for one season (maybe that's why the United board thought Rangnick was a good choice?).
The finished 3rd and reached the German cup final. So clearly Rangnick improved them.

I don't question your statement as you are much more knowledgeable about football. I don't doubt ETH is good coach playing attractive football.
My concern was purely from a player and team management point of view. Managing the big egos, dealing with steady leaks of interns to the press, players consistently complaining about being not happy with the training, the rules, training times, positions they have to play, issues between different groups within the squad....

I'm not following United that closely but when I read articles they mostly were about players being unhappy for various reasons.
Red Cafe is full of threads about these issues.
Many were saying Rangnick wasn't experienced enough to manage a big club like United. He couldn't deal with the huge egos of the stars and couldn't mold a team that was playing successful football.
I actually believe Rangnick is an excellent man manager and knows better than most how to build a team. He isn't afraid to take the necessary though decisions. But of course he needs the full backing off the board.
When Klopp and Pep joined Liverpool and Man City they immediately started a huge clear out with the full support of the board. Rangnick never got this support. I believe Rangnick would be able to assemble a strong squad being able to compete. He showed it at all his previous clubs. However, this can't be done in 6 months.
Now ETH doesn't have this experience at all. He is surely a good coach. Would he take over Man City, I'm sure he would be successful. What I mean ETH needs a functional team. He then will most likely make it better. However, I doubt he is the ideal guy for a big clear out and total rebuild of the squad. I might be wrong and the future will tell
You know when ten Hag arrived at Ajax, they hadn't won the league for several years. And in his first full season, ten Hag won the league with Ajax after the club had not won it since 2014. So after 5 years they won the league with a head coach who was under immense pressure from get-go from the fans to not only win the league but also to do it playing a attractive brand of football, which he also achieved. This is a fan base that is very demanding on their coaches to win, and they hadn't won the league for several years prior to ten Hag's arrival. And not only did ten Hag win consecutive titles domestically but he also guided Ajax out of the group stages of the Champions league for the first time since 2006. And the likes of Schalke and the financially doped up clubs like Hoffenheim and Leipzig don't compare to the expectations at Ajax who are 4 × European champions and have a extremely demanding fan base that won't settle for second best, and want the club to achieve effectiveness as well as aesthetics.

I do believe United looked at Rangnick's interim stint at RB Leipzig where he did well for a whole season before giving him the job. But what you can't plan for mid-season is the exodus of several of the first team coaches that pretty much left after the dismissal of Solskjaer. And that left both Rangnick and Murtough in a very difficult situation after inheriting a fractured dressing room and a team comprised of mostly players who were/are comfortable playing against the ball in a low/mid-block. But Rangnick exacerbated a already fractured dressing room and went public in his criticism and further destabilised a dressing room that seemed very low on morale. Some in the press/media say it was Rangnick saving face after his failure on the training ground. And no competent club backs a place holder in the transfer market.

Hasenhuttl did finish runner up in RB Leipzig's debut season and then finished 6th in his second and also final season at the club. And according to Hasenhuttl himself in February this year, he blamed people other than Rangnick who wanted him out due to him being one dimensional as a purely pressing coach. And Rangnick himself is the same and is also a purely pressing coach and is very limited when it comes to working with the ball in possession. But to be fair to Hasenhuttl, he has been trying to develop a on the ball approach.

And as far as clearouts go, we have allowed the managers to do that, and LVG made a complete mess in that regard and we got rid of players who were arguably more effective for us than the ones we bought. Mourinho was also allowed to sell players like Blind and buy replacements like Lindelof for about 5 x the amount. And these are just some of the many examples I can give you.

United's problem has been the same for almost a decade now. And that is they have have repeatedly allowed the first team manager to control recruitment. And they've allowed the managers to control recruitment whilst also allowing them to work with their own personal recruitment staff, and they've cumulatively made a mess out of recruitment.

And whilst all that was happening, the club had also tasked John Murtough (Head of development outside of the first team) to modernise the club when it came to scouting, data analytics, sports science, youth development etc. Because it was widely reported that when Fergie retired in 2013, we only had one full-time scout at the club (Jim Lawlor). So the scouting network was growing but the board led by Woodward was still allowing the board/manager model to prolong its course. And the scouting network became a after thought at first team level, but it (scouting network) was starting to deliver at youth level, and from 2016 to the present day, the calibre of youth players brought in at the club has been identifiably better, and we recently won the FA Youth Cup.

Bayern doesn't allow the first team trainer to have his own personal scouts. So our issue is that we needed a competent head coach (not manager) to come in and work with the existing structure on the football side of the club and bring forth a figure head from the football structure to work with the head coach. And that's what is referred to as the DoF/head coach model that is in full swing at Liverpool and Man City.

Like I've said before I can't predict the future, but our issue like I've explained is that we keep trying the same thing over and over again with the manager in the hope one will turn up with a magic wand. But that method doesn't work in the modern game with football departments growing exponentially since Fergie retired. And having a figurehead who works independently from the first team trainer running those departments is what we haven't done in the last 10 years. So the difference is that we're now going into a season for the first time in our history with a DoF/head coach model. That's the difference and for me our scouting network will be empowered for the first time since it's formation in 2016.

Last edited:

stevoc

Its all in the perspective you take, I think from what I've seen the players were not in any mood to change anything. For many of them Ronaldo's return was sign that they were facing a situation where the more things change the more they stayed the same and they saw Ralf as an interloper, the grim reaper, someone sent in to ensure they failed... and they duly obliged him, believing perhaps with him gone things can only get better.

I wonder how many players cards have been marked by Ralf for ETH... of course (@stevoc .. in the dossier that doesn't exist) ;)
:lol:

criticalanalysis

My blood is fecking boiling reading some of the posts defending Ralf and 'it's the players, the manager didn't stand a chance' stuff here :lol:

I'm glad some of you guys have the patience to rebuttal cause I would probably be typing myself in a frenzy replying to the nonsense ffs.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
You know when ten Hag arrived at Ajax, they hadn't won the league for several years. And in his first full season, ten Hag won the league with Ajax after the club had not won it since 2014. So after 5 years they won the league with a head coach who was under immense pressure from get-go from the fans to not only win the league but also to do it playing a attractive brand of football, which he also achieved. This is a fan base that is very demanding on their coaches to win, and they hadn't won the league for several years prior to ten Hag's arrival. And not only did ten Hag win consecutive titles domestically but he also guided Ajax out of the group stages of the Champions league for the first time since 2006. And the likes of Schalke and the financially doped up clubs like Hoffenheim and Leipzig don't compare to the expectations at Ajax who are 4 × European champions and have a extremely demanding fan base that won't settle for second best, and want the club to achieve effectiveness as well as aesthetics.

I do believe United looked at Rangnick's interim stint at RB Leipzig where he did well for a whole season before giving him the job. But what you can't plan for mid-season is the exodus of several of the first team coaches that pretty much left after the dismissal of Solskjaer. And that left both Rangnick and Murtough in a very difficult situation after inheriting a fractured dressing room and a team comprised of mostly players who were/are comfortable playing against the ball in a low/mid-block. But Rangnick exacerbated a already fractured dressing room and went public in his criticism and further destabilised a dressing room that seemed very low on morale. Some in the press/media say it was Rangnick saving face after his failure on the training ground. And no competent club backs a place holder in the transfer market.

Hasenhuttl did finish runner up in RB Leipzig's debut season and then finished 6th in his second and also final season at the club. And according to Hasenhuttl himself in February this year, he blamed people other than Rangnick who wanted him out due to him being one dimensional as a purely pressing coach. And Rangnick himself is the same and is also a purely pressing coach and is very limited when it comes to working with the ball in possession. But to be fair to Hasenhuttl, he has been trying to develop a on the ball approach.

And as far as clearouts go, we have allowed the managers to do that, and LVG made a complete mess in that regard and we got rid of players who were arguably more effective for us than the ones we bought. Mourinho was also allowed to sell players like Blind and buy replacements like Lindelof for about 5 x the amount. And these are just some of the many examples I can give you.

United's problem has been the same for almost a decade now. And that is they have have repeatedly allowed the first team manager to control recruitment. And they've allowed the managers to control recruitment whilst also allowing them to work with their own personal recruitment staff, and they've cumulatively made a mess out of recruitment.

And whilst all that was happening, the club had also tasked John Murtough (Head of development outside of the first team) to modernise the club when it came to scouting, data analytics, sports science, youth development etc. Because it was widely reported that when Fergie retired in 2013, we only had one full-time scout at the club (Jim Lawlor). So the scouting network was growing but the board led by Woodward was still allowing the board/manager model to prolong its course. And the scouting network became a after thought at first team level, but it (scouting network) was starting to deliver at youth level, and from 2016 to the present day, the calibre of youth players brought in at the club has been identifiably better, and we recently won the FA Youth Cup.

Bayern doesn't allow the first team trainer to have his own personal scouts. So our issue is that we needed a competent head coach (not manager) to come in and work with the existing structure on the football side of the club and bring forth a figure head from the football structure to work with the head coach. And that's what is referred to as the DoF/head coach model that is in full swing at Liverpool and Man City.

Like I've said before I can't predict the future, but our issue like I've explained is that we keep trying the same thing over and over again with the manager in the hope one will turn up with a magic wand. But that method doesn't work in the modern game with football departments growing exponentially since Fergie retired. And having a figurehead who works independently from the first team trainer running those departments is what we haven't done in the last 10 years. So the difference is that we're now going into a season for the first time in our history with a DoF/head coach model. That's the difference and for me our scouting network will be empowered for the first time since it's formation in 2016.
Thanks for your reply and most points make a lot of sense.
I never questioned the ability of ETH at a coach per se. His football is attractive and also successful. You are right Rangnick's heavy metal football solely based intensive pressing and gegen pressing plus fast vertical transitions is probably outdated today. Similar to van Gaals style of possession based football. Many younger coaches developed these original styles further to be more flexible and effective.

I thought United hired Rangnick like Bayern did with van Gaal to lay a foundation and then get ETH to build on it and fine tune the system further.
This would have made sense to me.
However, giving him only 6 months and coming in just before the cramped Christmas season was too short of a time frame. A fractured dressing room, low on moral and with many unhappy players of big egos made the task pretty much impossible. Not even bringing one or two signings in January was the last nail in the coffin. That time both, the team and Rangnick, gave up on the season.

Your points are all valid. On the other hand why hire a guy like Rangnick then in the first place? Wouldn't a care taker with good man management skills who lift moral and team spirit be the better choice than a guy who is known to play a total different kind of football?

Rangnick's strengths are to build a team by identifying players with the right skill set and attitude. He has done it several times, very successfully. I understand United got burned before letting coaches doing a clear out. Van Gaal is great in identifying young talents and integrating then into the first team, yet he is terrible with senior transfers. Also at Munich.

So my impression is United are hiring managers as well as players but don't use them according to their real strength.
A clear strategy would have been too hire Rangnick for 18 months. Implementing high energy pressing football with witch vertical transitions and bringi in 4 to 5 young players that are predestined for this kind of football. Then replace him with ETH who will have the foundation ready to then perfect the system, similar Heynckes did after van Gaal.

Unfortunately, the spell of Rangnick was a total failure and the team is more fractioned and low on moral than before he took over.
And there is my worry with ETH. Reading the posts of several Ajax fans, ETH strengths aren't communication, man management and dealing with fractured dressing room low on moral. ETH is a surely a good coach but I doubt he is the second coming of Kloop with his unique man management qualities.

Of course I might be wrong. After all I'm just a football fan who doesn't have inside knowledge of your club.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Thanks for your reply and most points make a lot of sense.
I never questioned the ability of ETH at a coach per se. His football is attractive and also successful. You are right Rangnick's heavy metal football solely based intensive pressing and gegen pressing plus fast vertical transitions is probably outdated today. Similar to van Gaals style of possession based football. Many younger coaches developed these original styles further to be more flexible and effective.

I thought United hired Rangnick like Bayern did with van Gaal to lay a foundation and then get ETH to build on it and fine tune the system further.
This would have made sense to me.
However, giving him only 6 months and coming in just before the cramped Christmas season was too short of a time frame. A fractured dressing room, low on moral and with many unhappy players of big egos made the task pretty much impossible. Not even bringing one or two signings in January was the last nail in the coffin. That time both, the team and Rangnick, gave up on the season.

Your points are all valid. On the other hand why hire a guy like Rangnick then in the first place? Wouldn't a care taker with good man management skills who lift moral and team spirit be the better choice than a guy who is known to play a total different kind of football?

Rangnick's strengths are to build a team by identifying players with the right skill set and attitude. He has done it several times, very successfully. I understand United got burned before letting coaches doing a clear out. Van Gaal is great in identifying young talents and integrating then into the first team, yet he is terrible with senior transfers. Also at Munich.

So my impression is United are hiring managers as well as players but don't use them according to their real strength.
A clear strategy would have been too hire Rangnick for 18 months. Implementing high energy pressing football with witch vertical transitions and bringi in 4 to 5 young players that are predestined for this kind of football. Then replace him with ETH who will have the foundation ready to then perfect the system, similar Heynckes did after van Gaal.

Unfortunately, the spell of Rangnick was a total failure and the team is more fractioned and low on moral than before he took over.
And there is my worry with ETH. Reading the posts of several Ajax fans, ETH strengths aren't communication, man management and dealing with fractured dressing room low on moral. ETH is a surely a good coach but I doubt he is the second coming of Kloop with his unique man management qualities.

Of course I might be wrong. After all I'm just a football fan who doesn't have inside knowledge of your club.
I don't believe United hired Rangnick as a interim head coach to lay foundations. Erik ten Hag will be the one that will be tasked with that job. Rangnick's role was to simply coach/manage the first team squad until the end of the season and possibly achieve a top 4 finish. And then at the end of the season his consultancy role would come into effect for a couple of years. And Rangnick even mentioned in his first press conference that he sees himself as a manager because for 90% of his career he has been a manager/head coach.

I don't think anyone could've predicted Rangnick being a let down when it came to the man management side. He decided to air the dirty laundry in public, which was lapped up by the gullible fans and the end result was inevitable. The hope was that he could possibly get the ball rolling for ten Hag when it comes to implementing a compact high block with counter pressing capabilities. But sadly for us that never came close to being a reality for a period of time in the season.

Rangnick's formula to build the football side at Hoffenheim and Leipzig was to entice young hot prospects by giving them first team minutes earlier than at other clubs. And those young players would opt to join a Salzburg or Leipzig over a bigger club because they would be brought into the first team fold and given minutes to develop at a good level. So the model was to dangle the carrot of first team exposure, which helped the player as far as development goes, and helped the club to make a profit on their investment in the following seasons. So that method wouldn't really work at a big club. And I don't believe it's difficult to run the football side of the club, as long as everyone is pulling in the same direction from the board/DoF/head coach etc. But our issue has been that the managers post Fergie were afforded their own recruitment staff and streamlining all the football departments wasn't possible.

Our issue imo is that we've hired managers who craved the power to control recruitment. Louis Van Gaal wrote in his biography that he always craved the power that was given to managers in England. And when he got the job at United, his desire became a reality and our nightmare as supporters of the club was about to begin. Klopp at Liverpool was hired as the manager, but saw himself as the head coach, and selected a figurehead from within the existing structure at the club to lead the football departments. And that person he selected was Michael Edwards who became the Sporting director, and Edwards at the time was much ridiculed by the media and the Liverpool fans.

So the difference between what Klopp did and what Rodgers, Mourinho and Solskjaer didn't do, was that Klopp embraced the existing structure at Liverpool and the other three aforementioned names decided to utilise their own recruitment staff, which made the existing scouting structures at Liverpool/United a after thought. Klopp tweaked a large group of people working already at the club to benefit him and the whole club by aligning the whole process. Whilst the other three mangers went with their own recruitment staff and failed miserably. So the hope for us this around is that we've hired a head coach in Erik ten Hag who will work with our existing football structure.

And as far as ten Hag's man management skills are concerned, everything that I've read about him is very positive from his former players. And those players run themselves into the ground for him. And ten Hag himself will defend those players in front of the media no matter what, and will sort potential issues out in private, rather than give the media even more ammunition to target him and the club. And that's what's important for me as a fan of the club, to see the head coach not give anything away in press conferences and concentrate on coaching a idea on the training ground that will eventually manifest itself on match days.

Last edited:

stevoc

I don't believe United hired Rangnick as a interim head coach to lay foundations. Erik ten Hag will be the one that will be tasked with that job. Rangnick's role was to simply coach/manage the first team squad until the end of the season and possibly achieve a top 4 finish. And then at the end of the season his consultancy role would come into effect for a couple of years. And Rangnick even mentioned in his first press conference that he sees himself as a manager because for 90% of his career he has been a manager/head coach.

I don't think anyone could've predicted Rangnick being a let down when it came to the man management side. He decided to air the dirty laundry in public, which was lapped up by the gullible fans and the end result was inevitable. The hope was that he could possibly get the ball rolling for ten Hag when it comes to implementing a compact high block with counter pressing capabilities. But sadly for us that never came close to being a reality for a period of time in the season.

Rangnick's formula to build the football side at Hoffenheim and Leipzig was to entice young hot prospects by giving them first team minutes earlier than at other clubs. And those young players would opt to join a Salzburg or Leipzig over a bigger club because they would be brought into the first team fold and given minutes to develop at a good level. So the model was to dangle the carrot of first team exposure, which helped the player as far as development goes, and helped the club to make a profit on their investment in the following seasons. So that method wouldn't really work at a big club. And I don't believe it's difficult to run the football side of the club, as long as everyone is pulling in the same direction from the board/DoF/head coach etc. But our issue has been that the managers post Fergie were afforded their own recruitment staff and streamlining all the football departments wasn't possible.

Our issue imo is that we've hired managers who craved the power to control recruitment. Louis Van Gaal wrote in his biography that he always craved the power that was given to managers in England. And when he got the job at United, his desire became a reality and our nightmare as supporters of the club was about to begin. Klopp at Liverpool was hired as the manager, but saw himself as the head coach, and selected a figurehead from within the existing structure at the club to lead the football departments. And that person he selected was Michael Edwards who became the Sporting director, and Edwards at the time was much ridiculed by the media and the Liverpool fans.

So the difference between what Klopp did and what Rodgers, Mourinho and Solskjaer didn't do, was that Klopp embraced the existing structure at Liverpool and the other three aforementioned names decided to utilise their own recruitment staff, which made the existing scouting structures at Liverpool/United a after thought. Klopp tweaked a large group of people working already at the club to benefit him and the whole club by aligning the whole process. Whilst the other three mangers went with their own recruitment staff and failed miserably. So the hope for us this around is that we've hired a head coach in Erik ten Hag who will work with our existing football structure.

And as far as ten Hag's man management skills are concerned, everything that I've read about him is very positive from his former players. And those players run themselves into the ground for him. And ten Hag himself will defend those players in front of the media no matter what, and will sort potential issues out in private, rather than give the media even more ammunition to target him and the club. And that's what's important for me as a fan of the club, to see the head coach not give anything away in press conferences and concentrate on coaching a idea on the training ground that will eventually manifest itself on match days.
Well said mate, the ETH press conference was a breath of fresh air after 6 months of Rangnick airing shit to protect his own ego and reputation. His behaviour was pretty unbecoming of a Manchester United manager.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
no more Rangnick.

Consultancy has been cancelled

Zoo

What a strange period. And that’s saying a lot considering the past decade

RORY65

What an utterly idiotic appointment that proved to be then, great start for Murtough and Fletcher.

roonster09

Scout
What a waste of 6 months, should have appointed proper manager instead of Rangnick.

SER19

If he wasn't staying on, Carrick should have been the temp. A nonsense that suggests the post Woodward era is no different

Status
Not open for further replies.