Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nordmore

We were outplayed regardless of how we conceded the 2 goals. We were completely dominated second half.
Not really.

In the second half we decided to sit a bit back and counter them. And we had many chances until the one Bruno converted it. Until that it's true Villa had the ball more but they didn't dominate us nor create much.

Even after that the match was pretty even until Villa suddenly scored their first goal.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
We pressed? I haven't seen that to be honest... Fbref says we had 110 presses yesterday, were successful 26 times (compared to Aston Villas 148 presses and 52 times), against Wolves we had 148 presses and 36 successes. So even if the method of counting that stuff might have issues, comparing it makes sense. We didn't press against Wolves, we didn't press yesterday.
Those stats must be for the full 90 minutes. I'm talking about the first half, we pressed up high. Fred was pressing their backs.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
We haven't hired any elite manager at their peak post Sir Alex that's the boards biggest fault. All the managers we have gotten don't look out of place in a mid table team.
Indeed.
And what makes this so much worse is that they failed to get Conte when he was available.

I am not saying that he is not any good, but honestly, I had not heard much about Rangnick before.
Anyway, acknowledging that he is only an interim appointment (again) we cannot really expect that much this season.

But whoever the next manager is, they absolutely have to get it right.
Manchester United are rapidly becoming irrelevant as a football club.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I was fuming after the game yesterday but if I have to be honest, Villa are a good team, Ralf has barely been here a minute and we showed proper progress.

The issue is we need points right here, right now and that is only due to the morons in charge of the club who waited too long to make the obvious change.

NZT-One

You have missed the entire point obviously.

A football board would have made proper football decisions that ensured the club's success.

Saying yadda yadda means you don't understand the issues.
That last point amplifies it.
Going to the previous successful manager to find the next manager was the lazy idiotic thing to do.
A football board would have hired football consultants to get the next manager.
How did I miss the point when in my first comment to you, I said
The only thing I accuse them of, is not making sure we had the best available people making the sports-related decisions.
You were critizicing the spending:
The fault for what happened lies squarely with the board which has not to date brought in a DM.
Villa had two players who came in this window.
The difference between a Football board and one that is only interested in bleeding us dry.
They did not back him because no resale value.
Matic is done and should have been replaced in the summer. We could have gotten 2 solid players as DMs.
Theses parasites we have as a board are the prime reason why this club is in a shithouse.
If you meant something else, don't write all that other stuff because, as most people, I agree that the decision making by the owners was very subpar. But that is a different issue than not investing, I am sure you agree on that.

NZT-One

Those stats must be for the full 90 minutes. I'm talking about the first half, we pressed up high. Fred was pressing their backs.
Maybe we are struggling with semantics. Freds energeticly running at people isn't pressing in my book. That starts when it is done with a couple of people. And I don't think, separating first and second half makes the data unusable - I mean, if we pressed one half and didn't in the other, we shouldn't end with less "presses" in total than in the match against Wolves, where nobody said we were pressing.

Potato - Potaato. Who cares at the end of the day. We definitely looked more energetic and cohesive in first half yesterday. Which is something to start from. It must be said, that all that didn't really end in us having some chances to score. So all is relative I guess.

cnwo

Hope the negativity of the result doesn't drag down the team that started yesterday. The first half is what they need to build on for the rest of the season

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
The only thing I accuse them of, is not making sure we had the best available people making the sports-related decisions.

You have answered yourself.

If you don't have the people available, Get Them.
Which is what I was saying.

If you meant something else, don't write all that other stuff because, as most people, I agree that the decision making by the owners was very subpar. But that is a different issue than not investing, I am sure you agree on that.

This is what I meant when I said you don't understand the issues.

It has nothing to do with subpar decisions.
Their decisions have never been motivated by football.
It is only related to revenue generation and dealing with the Football matters as and when they arose. No planning whatsoever.

For example do you think giving Martial a long contract when he was hardly playing anywhere near a footballer being paid what he is was football related?
It was to protect the resale value.

I will just leave it as that.

redshaw

Maybe we are struggling with semantics. Freds energeticly running at people isn't pressing in my book. That starts when it is done with a couple of people. And I don't think, separating first and second half makes the data unusable - I mean, if we pressed one half and didn't in the other, we shouldn't end with less "presses" in total than in the match against Wolves, where nobody said we were pressing.

Potato - Potaato. Who cares at the end of the day. We definitely looked more energetic and cohesive in first half yesterday. Which is something to start from. It must be said, that all that didn't really end in us having some chances to score. So all is relative I guess.
That's one big worry most games so far have very little in chances and riding out on one lucky goal or two. As good as some were saying it was yesterday first half it was only a GK mistake and not much else going on. With Palace it was one goal from Fred you see every 5 years, a lucky pen against Norwich. Newcastle Cavani managed to rescue a point by scrambling a goal and nothing else was really going on. Could be much worse point wise for Ralf.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
This is super, super weird

Despite what posters are saying here I am not buying that Martial is spinning words. Refusing to be on the squad is highly unprofessional and it was very weird when Rangnick mentioned it. I am inclined to believe Martial here, which puts Rangnick in very interesting light. Did he just extrapolate Martial's demand to leave the club and blamed him for refusing to be in the squad, where it was Rangnick not wanting him?

Things are hopelessly rotten in the kingdom of United

NewGlory

Remember he went AWOL in 2018
He didn't go AWOL, for feck's sake. He was attending his child's birth and was back to training later than Mou wanted him to. Mourinho was an absolute prick to make a big deal out of it. Please don't falsify the actuals of what happened.

BaillyBaillyBailly

Personally I think Ralf needs a bit more time before we truly judge him. I just worry that all good will for him will turn toxic before he gets the time he needs to actually show his worth.
I am not convinced he will every really get this team performing to the level it should. Ralf isn't really a manager he's an organiser, but if he can't at least inject some forward momentum into our season then it will be tough for him to hold favour in his "consultancy" role moving forward.

As a manager he has managed in glimpses (first half against Palace and Villa) to get the team playing really front foot style football you would associate with his "philosophy" but the majority has been pretty tumescent. The team, as pointed out a billion times needs a holding midfielder who is positionally astute and can rotate the ball. Fred is a fantastic pressing machine but he is woeful on the ball and as a physical presence. McTominay is an ok passer, physically ok and as shown has a decent shot on him but he is positionally awful. Matic would be an ideal player in our team if this was the Matic of 5 years ago, he is just completely gone from a physical POV. Rice/N'didi would be good but they would cost £80m+ which I would not advocate us doing ahead of potentially another new manager coming in. Hell, I don't know why Phil Jones hasn't had at least 45 mins crack at CDM he has played ok in that role for us in the past, certainly better than McFred.

In terms of winning things I would once again say this season is a write off unfortunately. Top 4 is not a trophy. The FA cup is just not really of any value in modern day football and the league and CL are obviously way out of our reach. I think we will miss out on top 4 and I would imagine Ronaldo has a clause in his contract that allows him to leave should that happen. This will ultimately be a pretty sad end to his return but probably will work out better for the team.

Just because we don't win anything though, doesn't mean this back end of the season is pointless, Ralf can get these lazy bastards fit and willing to work for the new manager who will come in. Those who don't want to work can be offered the option of leaving in the summer. Its painful to think we have to start again, again. But unfortunately that's the situation we are in. On the other hand don't expect our other rivals to remain as brilliant as they are now. Liverpool's core players all probably have 3/4 years left in them. Chelsea will hire and fire again. City could cock up their next managerial appointment. Arsenal just don't have the money to really compete. Tottenham are Tottenham.

Marcelinho87

He didn't go AWOL, for feck's sake. He was attending his child's birth and was back to training later than Mou wanted him to. Mourinho was an absolute prick to make a big deal out of it. Please don't falsify the actuals of what happened.
Wasn't later than what Mou agreed, he was later than he agreed with the club and was fined for it.

BaillyBaillyBailly

Despite what posters are saying here I am not buying that Martial is spinning words. Refusing to be on the squad is highly unprofessional and it was very weird when Rangnick mentioned it. I am inclined to believe Martial here, which puts Rangnick in very interesting light. Did he just extrapolate Martial's demand to leave the club and blamed him for refusing to be in the squad, where it was Rangnick not wanting him?

This one I find really confusing. What reason does Ragnick have to say that he refused unless he really did? Even if Martial did refuse Ragnick could just have said "the player is looking to leave the club and so we wanted player who are focussed on United" or simply "Anthony was close to the squad but we have a lot of competition for places" (Which we do theoretically.

If Martial did refuse he can also easily just say he didn't. Its not like the club are going to get into a war of words with him (unless they are looking for a PR disaster which I doubt).

NewGlory

Wasn't later than what Mou agreed, he was later than he agreed with the club and was fined for it.
Childbirth is not always exact science. As a manager (in non-football context, albeit), I would never ever make a big deal about a person needing to spend time with their family and taking 1-2 more days for it. It's horrible leadership. If he had to be fined, he was find. Public shaming was idiotic. Either way, it was very special circumstance that has absolutely nothing to do with current situation and is a very cheap shot to bring up.

NewGlory

This one I find really confusing. What reason does Ragnick have to say that he refused unless he really did? Even if Martial did refuse Ragnick could just have said "the player is looking to leave the club and so we wanted player who are focussed on United" or simply "Anthony was close to the squad but we have a lot of competition for places" (Which we do theoretically.

If Martial did refuse he can also easily just say he didn't. Its not like the club are going to get into a war of words with him (unless they are looking for a PR disaster which I doubt).
It is confusing, but look at the flip side of it. Refusing to be part of the traveling squad because you are upset about not playing and are on transfer is extremely shitty thing to do and completely unprofessional. Also something to 100% be fined for. Was Martial fined? No word about that.

What reason do you have to believe that Martial is that much of an asshole? He has been with us for 7 years, why wouldn't you give him benefit of doubt that he isn't such garbage player rather than believe Rangnick who has been here for 6 weeks? Why did Rangnick even bring it up? It was weird thing to say even if it did happen. Now player is coming out and vehemently denies it. I am not sure we should assume that he is the one lying.

Strelok

As a manager he has managed in glimpses (first half against Palace and Villa) to get the team playing really front foot style football you would associate with his "philosophy" but the majority has been pretty tumescent.
First half against Palace: Ronaldo, Rashford, Sancho run their bollocks off to press. Then Ronaldo looked absolutely out of breath and could barely move in the second half.

We dropped the pressing for the next matches and looked like shite. Then Ronaldo got injured.

We looked a bit less shite against Villa but Rashford run and pressed for about 20'. Then Rashford got injured.

First half against Villa: the front three running and pressing non stop.

What would you think first when you heard Ralf's name? Gegen pressing. End of story.

Greck

I buy it. It's natural he'll deny anything specific but his agent said he wants to leave and he told Rangnick he wants to leave. Even if Rangnick was just speaking semantically I don't think he'd freeze him out of the squad when Cavani and other discontents are playing every week.

Also don't block Cavani's move. After yesterday I'd rather he also go if Rangnick is just going to give him preferential treatment and sub out better performers in our attack. No way he should have finished that game ahead of others. Rangnicks's attacking substitution patterns so far seem to respect status a bit too much.

jasT1981

I actually think this whole Martial thing could be a misunderstanding.

Martial has said he wants to leave Man Utd, Ralf may have taken that as not wanting to play at all.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
This guy isn't ️it, and I am a bit worried about the next role he has at the club..seems a bit delusional. Yesterday was really bad, first half included. It was a midtable performance, not some standard to look forward to.

crossy1686

career ending
Childbirth is not always exact science. As a manager (in non-football context, albeit), I would never ever make a big deal about a person needing to spend time with their family and taking 1-2 more days for it. It's horrible leadership. If he had to be fined, he was find. Public shaming was idiotic. Either way, it was very special circumstance that has absolutely nothing to do with current situation and is a very cheap shot to bring up.
1 or 2 days more? Try a couple of weeks:

Jose Mourinho has confirmed Anthony Martial was fined for going AWOL during Manchester United'spre-season tour of the United States.

Martial, 22, was given permission by Mourinho to leave the United tour after two games to fly to Paris and attend the birth of his son, Swan, but failed to make himself available for United's remaining three matches across the Atlantic.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
If the club and fans want a decent manager like ETH in the summer then the first thing we need to do is show is that we are serious about changing. Otherwise we remain the graveyard of managerial reputations and only mercenaries need apply.

That means backing Ralf through a lot of pain.

croadyman

saw the banner our lads unfolded at the Villa match.

Glazers Broken and Rotten from top to bottom.

I expect we will see another protest this season in Spring.
Surprised this didn't get more media coverage yesterday unless it did and I totally missed it

NewGlory

I buy it. It's natural he'll deny anything specific but his agent said he wants to leave and he told Rangnick he wants to leave. Even if Rangnick was just speaking semantically I don't think he'd freeze him out of the squad when Cavani and other discontents are playing every week.

Also don't block Cavani's move. After yesterday I'd rather he also go if Rangnick is just going to give him preferential treatment and sub out better performers in our attack. No way he should have finished that game ahead of others. Rangnicks's attacking substitution patterns so far seem to respect status a bit too much.
Listen, Rangnick is weird. We can admit that much by now. Look at his bench. He named two goalkeepers (!) and one player less than Villa. Why???? Even if Martial refused to be on the bench and our senior players were injured, why not put one of our younger players on the bench? What are academy and youth teams for?

Last edited:

Nordmore

Listen, Rangnick is weird. We can admit that much by now. Look at his bench. He named two goalkeepers (!) and one player less that Villa. Why???? Even if Martial refused to be on the bench and our senior players were injured, why not put one of our younger players on the bench? What are academy and youth teams for?
Because our U23 played against City yesterday?

And the rule allowed maximum 9 players on the bench and two concussions subs?

It's not the first time in the PL teams put two keepers on the bench since Covid. What Heaton would feel if Ralf field only 7 subs while he's available?

arthurka

So people are going to take the word of a sulky player who has done nothing but pull our pants down for the last 3-4 years. A player who doesn't want to be here first and foremost. Ralf has nothing to gain from this at all and of course he would have wanted Martial firing on all going into this game. I find it amazing how much faith and give some players are shown here who have done nothing to earn it. This set of players has gotten bigger names fired before and will do so again. I just hope Ralf gets the backing he needs to get shit done this group of players is rotten to the core.

Daengophile

Put all these stroppy prima donnas on gardening leave and revoke their security to the club

Mac1997

I don't get it all, yes of course the players are largely to blame but Ralf needs to take ownership of the awful performances!

His the interim manager, his job is to work and get the best out of the players he has not to build any long terms plans, he is only going to be an advisor when his 6 months is up it's not as if he is getting the football directors job. He isn't doing that at all and seems completely incapable of motivating lots of the players.

It has been a complete farce since he has come in and its proving to be a complete disaster of an appointment so far. Would happily see him let go.

We may have been better just letting Carrick ride it out until the end of the season, reading between the lines it seems that is what the players would have preferred.

Greck

I don't get it all, yes of course the players are largely to blame but Ralf needs to take ownership of the awful performances!

His the interim manager, his job is to work and get the best out of the players he has not to build any long terms plans, he is only going to be an advisor when his 6 months is up it's not as if he is getting the football directors job. He isn't doing that at all and seems completely incapable of motivating lots of the players.

It has been a complete farce since he has come in and its proving to be a complete disaster of an appointment so far. Would happily see him let go.

We may have been better just letting Carrick ride it out until the end of the season, reading between the lines it seems that is what the players would have preferred.
Players didn't want Ole's staff to stay as they reportedly said it was more of the same. Rangnick hasn't impressed with in-game managment but the football is better than another direct hoof merchant playing 90s-00s era football. Carrick's wins also came with the understanding he was leaving, tell the players he's here till the end of the season and they'd be where they were under Ole.

Let's also not overhype those games under Carrick it was more of the same defensive direct crap. If you want to lay foundations to modernise our play then we don't need more low block-long ball merchants.

Bestietom

He was brought in as an advisor and to steady the ship until the summer we were told. He would however stay as an advisor to the new manager and would be given as say in who this new manager would be. He would also be in charge of the kind of players coming here. Well why the hell have the board shot him down already in the players he wants to bring in.
Why should they have a say in this. It's going to be the same again. Pulling the wool over our eyes year in year out.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

If true he's finished. May as well resign now.

Marcus

While I support Ralf's approach, I am a bit concerned about his late substitutions. When you want your team to press relentlessly (mid-season), some players are going to be dead on their feet before the match is up. He has to dip into his reserves to keep the energy up. Without a full pre-season gearing up for this level of intensity, it is frankly pretty obvious that the pressing will always drop off in the second half, especially for the older players like Matic, Cavani and Ronaldo. The obvious solution is to replace those tired legs maybe at the 70th minute or so. Not 2 minutes from full-time.

NewGlory

Because our U23 played against City yesterday?

And the rule allowed maximum 9 players on the bench and two concussions subs?

It's not the first time in the PL teams put two keepers on the bench since Covid. What Heaton would feel if Ralf field only 7 subs while he's available?
With all due respect, nobody gives a flying feck for a U23 game if senior team needs players. These kids are there to fight for the senior squad places. Players like Amad and Shoretire are expected to be recalled in exactly situations like these and it's actually a travesty that they are not. You can't be seriously arguing that we couldn't find 2 youth players for a senior game. At United! Come on, now.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Seeing people mentioning Rangnick comments about Pogba injury as proof that he lied about Martial. He said 4 weeks for Pogba to get fit and looks like Pogba will be fit in next 2 week which aligns with what he said. Seems like he is being scapegoated now

Status
Not open for further replies.