Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green Arrow

There were way too many issues at United when Ole left to sort out in just a few games.

Ive been quite impressed with the new manager tbh, seems a honest type who says it as he sees it.

Sure, the football has not been brilliant at times but we are getting results and things are improving slowly.

Things will only get better from here on in so lets just enjoy the run in and hope further improvements brings us top 4 and maybe a trophy.

Then in the summer Ralf can move upstairs and sort the mess out there whilst we get a decent manager in and new players and kick on next season.

Feels like we are going in the right direction at least.
Yep my sentiments are the same with Ralf moving upstairs will be where he will be the most effective. Sorting out a structure and being involved who comes and goes out as in player wise will be a huge boost.

He's done a great job so far as an interim keeping us in the hunt for the top 4, he will hopefully help the next manager accessing the squad too.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Like yeah, the team that created the better chances should win the game,
Not "should win" but usually "will win" the game.
It can be different in a cup or one off match but over a full season of football the team that will create the most chances and had the most shots on target will win the league.

Man City is actually the best example.

mctrials23

I’d say we’d very low xg in 2013. RVP was just clinical as hell. The best players can keep it tight and finish their chances when they arise. If we press and compete hard for every 50-50 good things will start happening again. All this conserving energy and leaving your man to the next guy was just trying to be too cute and pandering to a squad that wasn’t happy to change and do the extra work required. If we keep it tight and tough we just need one or two consistent players to come up with the magic for us while we develop as a team
Some of RvPs chances probably had a 0.01 chance of being converted. Man was an absolute god that season. Scored some of the best goals I have ever seen from a United striker. fecking loved him.

Nickelodeon

He seems likable enough. But don't they all till it goes to shite.

Anyways, its great that he's not getting carried away even in the face of a last minute win at West Ham.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We've had a pretty easy run of games though
This team struggles more against the easier games. Has done since Ole took over.

We seem to do better against Sides that will come and have a go at us. When they sit back and look to counter, we give the ball away too easily and can't reshape fast enough.

Ixion

Not "should win" but usually "will win" the game.
It can be different in a cup or one off match but over a full season of football the team that will create the most chances and had the most shots on target will win the league.

Man City is actually the best example.
I dont think you need a stat to tell you City create the best chances if you watch their games

UncleBob

At the end of a season I don't sit down and look at stats to judge our season.

I can watch a game and decide whether we played well, created good chances etc. without a number telling me so. It feels like a stat for people that didn't watch a game themselves.
What did you think of Manchester Uniteds defense the season we finished 2nd under Mourinho?

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
This team struggles more against the easier games. Has done since Ole took over.

We seem to do better against Sides that will come and have a go at us. When they sit back and look to counter, we give the ball away too easily and can't reshape fast enough.
Well that's true. We were excellent against Liverpool, for example...no! Sorry! I mean against City....

Adam-Utd

Well that's true. We were excellent against Liverpool, for example...no! Sorry! I mean against City....
Can't exactly take those games as a true measure of this team. We could have played Renford Rejects and got stuffed 5-0 at that time.

If we played those games again at this moment we'd be a lot more competitive.

Giggsy13

While we were all buzzing about our 3-2 win against Arsenal, Ralf wasn’t impressed by the fact we were conceding too many goals and not controlling matches. He literally said the first thing he was going to address was our leaky defence. We’ve improved significantly in that respect. Every good team builds from the back. If you’re conceding goals at the rate we were, you’re doing feck all. Sir Alex knew this too and spent heavily on his back 4. We have this memory of Sir Alex playing expansive attacking football but many times we grinded out boring 1 nil wins where we were in complete control. Ralf has done a decent job so far and has done exactly what you expect from an interim manager, stopped the bleeding.

romufc

While we were all buzzing about our 3-2 win against Arsenal, Ralf wasn’t impressed by the fact we were conceding too many goals and not controlling matches. He literally said the first thing he was going to address was our leaky defence. We’ve improved significantly in that respect. Every good team builds from the back. If you’re conceding goals at the rate we were, you’re doing feck all. Sir Alex knew this too and spent heavily on his back 4. We have this memory of Sir Alex playing expansive attacking football but many times we grinded out boring 1 nil wins where we were in complete control. Ralf has done a decent job so far and has done exactly what you expect from an interim manager, stopped the bleeding.
We haven't really though have we? We might have improved but not significantly. Norwhich MOTM was DDG, Newcastle MOTM was DDG, Wolves we lost, Villa scored 2, Brentford DDG was MOTM with 3/4 really good saves.

The Arsenal game was against teams around us compared to the games we have played where 3 of them are at the bottom of the table and we have struggled to beat them.

lex talionis

There’s a saying about Rome not being built in a day. Surely there must be another saying about how long it took to rebuild Rome after it was burned down.

Ralf walked into wrecked squad and has done a very decent job of it in the short time he’s had. Still though, best if we stick with interim manager.

macheda14

At the end of a season I don't sit down and look at stats to judge our season.

I can watch a game and decide whether we played well, created good chances etc. without a number telling me so. It feels like a stat for people that didn't watch a game themselves.
Crazy, how do you know where we finished in the league? Must be nice to watch football and not look at the league table.

NoLogo

There’s a saying about Rome not being built in a day. Surely there must be another saying about how long it took to rebuild Rome after it was burned down.

Ralf walked into wrecked squad and has done a very decent job of it in the short time he’s had. Still though, best if we stick with interim manager.
Going for another interim manager would be completely useless. I also feel like the team currently is really making progress when it comes to our pressing. Now we just have to build on that and not revert to square one after a couple of games, like this squad usually does when they decide so much running isn't really their thing.

Revaulx

Not this season :lol: but certainly before then. Though there were indications last year that the big sides were beginning to “find us out”.

Bizarrely, the same was true under LvG, whose footballing philosophy was about as far from Ole’s as it could be.

sp_107

I like Ralf, he got some steeliness about him behind his openness which is needed to handle big egos and seems like he got a plan to fix our signings

I have this feeling Club is not supporting him in this window as they are playing waiting game to sign in players next manager likes (may be our guys are talking to Poch in the backend, who knows)

I really wish our club listen to Ralf as we recruited him to fix our mishaps over the years

Adam-Utd

I like Ralf, he got some steeliness about him behind his openness which is needed to handle big egos and seems like he got a plan to fix our signings

I have this feeling Club is not supporting him in this window as they are playing waiting game to sign in players next manager likes (may be our guys are talking to Poch in the backend, who knows)

I really wish our club listen to Ralf as we recruited him to fix our mishaps over the years
It makes sense really. Our squad is big enough to handle getting the top 4.

Why buy players now that the new manager might not like in 6 months?

Ralf's job is more to lay the ground work for the next reign anyway.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
This! So many of us go on and on about having Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo in 07/08 and all that "attack, attack, attack" stuff but that season, we grinded a lot of 1-0 wins that the so called expert pundits were grumbling about, using it as a stick to beat us with in the early season.

People tend to forget that.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Can't exactly take those games as a true measure of this team. We could have played Renford Rejects and got stuffed 5-0 at that time.

If we played those games again at this moment we'd be a lot more competitive.
You're right, of course. I was being a bit of a smart arse there.

UncleBob

git_united

Is the reading of that chart that Ole this season faced more difficult teams and those difficult teams had even better performances against us while Ralf's 'strength of schedule' so far has been lower and with him as manager we've held teams to perform as they would on average?

tomaldinho1

Is the reading of that chart that Ole this season faced more difficult teams and those difficult teams had even better performances against us while Ralf's 'strength of schedule' so far has been lower and with him as manager we've held teams to perform as they would on average?
Ole lost 4-1 to Watford...

The-Natural

Really like him so far. Speaks honestly and directly on the areas that the team need to improve on and seems to have an actual plan for how to make that happen.

Feels like the first manager since Fergie who seems to be watching the same match as the fans going off his post-match comments.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
The thing I like best from ralf is that he’s not afraid to make decisions based on what the team needs, like taking of Ronaldo and his replacement then scoring… or benching Maguire. Solskjær would never of done that. Ralf also identifies after every game what we could of done better, like he said after West Ham we need to be better in possession and make better decisions so that’s what he’ll work on in the next few weeks.

UncleBob

Under Ole we've played generally played better teams, but underperformed, and the opposition has outscored the xG.
Under Ralf we've played worse teams, underperformed in terms of allowing more xG than the opposition create on average but opposition has scored less than xG.

Pretty much.

git_united

Under Ole we've played generally played better teams, but underperformed, and the opposition has outscored the xG.
Under Ralf we've played worse teams, underperformed in terms of allowing more xG than the opposition create on average but opposition has scored less than xG.

Pretty much.
Setting aside the pitfalls with the tiny sample sizes for each manager, Villa and Brentford stand out as the two games under Ralf where we underperfomed in terms of allowing more xG than the opposition create on average. Outside those games (and ignoring West Ham too), to me it looks like we held teams to perform more or less as they normally do.

NZT-One

Gone are the days when we were thumped with last minute winners. Now the armchair experts come up with xG shit and can't enjoy the win at OT.

Man, thank God these guys never had anything like this during SAF era. Because, in simple terms that's what I saw against West Ham. Bringing a striker for a midfielder and nicking a last minute winner against a top 4 rival. Who the feck cares if we had a low xG.
Memories seem to be short. Wasn't good results while not performing very well the trademark sign of our last managers reign? Why would we use xG against him but stop looking at it now? There is no need to get defensive, I haven't seen anybody sincerely asking for RR's head, it would be madness. But still, we have to note, that the defensive stability we have shown against Westham was bought by having next to no chances to score. That is a fact - you can decide that the fact isn't as noteworthy for you as the actual result or the defensive performance but you should acknowledge that there are other things as well.

Ole wars have ended, lets just calm down, talk about performances with the tools we have and not constantly feel the need to put people into categories like miserable or naive.

I'm using Footystats FYI. Not really sure what your issue is with what I said. Did we control the game? In my opinion, yes. Did we limit WHUM offensively? Yes. If you want to/expect to see us playing scintillating attacking football already with a new manager, I think your expectations are a bit naïve. If you're looking at the bigger picture the WHUM game was a definite positive when you assess it next to the Villa and Brentford games, particularly when you factor in league position of the opponents.

Your point about luck and their header is bizarre; I could just say Varane's header was much easier, uncontested and he really should have scored or Fred cold have just placed his shot for a routine finish instead of blasting it at Areola.
You are asking if we controlled the game. Many state we did. But I think a fair few of them confound control of the ball and control of the game. Ask yourself: What do you think was Westhams matchplan? Do you think they came here for the win? Or did they come here to be defensively compact and potentially nick a lucky winner? And what was our plan? It was a homegame against a tricky opponent we are fighting against for spot. It was a must-win more or less.
So based on that - who was in control of the game? Whose match plan was executed better? I for one think one team was more comfortable than the other for more than 90minutes.

Control, Dominate - these are tricky terms in football. Way too often the opponents influence on that is neglected. It might be the same here.

But even if - it wouldn't worsen our performance. We played well against a good opponent.

Giggsy13

This! So many of us go on and on about having Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo in 07/08 and all that "attack, attack, attack" stuff but that season, we grinded a lot of 1-0 wins that the so called expert pundits were grumbling about, using it as a stick to beat us with in the early season.

People tend to forget that.
1 nil wins are the bread and butter of a title winning team. You’re right people forget and have selective memory at times.

UncleBob

Setting aside the pitfalls with the tiny sample sizes for each manager, Villa and Brentford stand out as the two games under Ralf where we underperfomed in terms of allowing more xG than the opposition create on average. Outside those games (and ignoring West Ham too), to me it looks like we held teams to perform more or less as they normally do.
And Newcastle, sadly. We also underperformed in terms of our xG compared to their average xGA, even against Newcastle-

Crystal Palace and West Ham are the positives one, where they created a lot less, difference would be that Crystal Palace tried but failed, as we were extremely aggressive, while West Ham generally sat back.

But yes, small samle size, but not as small as saying things are looking much better on the basis of our match against West Ham. We'll see how things are looking after the next 10 matches.

tomaldinho1

Yeah that's the last data point on the chart which is why the blue line went down and the yellow line went up. I was doing a rough visual average of all the points.
:lol: I just realised I have to apologise as I read your post as 'chat' not 'chart' and thought you were saying that was wat the caf seemed to be saying! I'd imagine when Ragnick gets to the amount of games Ole had this season before he was sacked (I think 17 in all comps), it will even out somewhat given March is an absolute clusterfeck for us: City (A), Spurs, Athletico, Pool (A) in a row, then Leicester and Everton for good measure.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It makes sense really. Our squad is big enough to handle getting the top 4.

Why buy players now that the new manager might not like in 6 months?

Ralf's job is more to lay the ground work for the next reign anyway.
If we buy good player, new manager most likely will like him. Otherwise, just sell. Selling good player is easy.

Seij

We haven't really though have we? We might have improved but not significantly. Norwhich MOTM was DDG, Newcastle MOTM was DDG, Wolves we lost, Villa scored 2, Brentford DDG was MOTM with 3/4 really good saves.

The Arsenal game was against teams around us compared to the games we have played where 3 of them are at the bottom of the table and we have struggled to beat them.
We were still conceding goals like crazy with DDG in his top shot-stopping form all season. DDG hasn't played much better under Rangnick than he has under OGS. So I definitely do see some improvements.

Paul_Scholes18

I do not understand how people are impressed. We have had pretty poor form since he took over.
Arsenal game was under Carrick and that is our best attacking performance.

We generally struggle in attack and are often saved by De Gea too. Most games been pretty even.

I think the Burnley game the only one we had a clear win, but did not actually create a lot. Just Mctominay having a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.