Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slysi17

Champions League football and more money for Ten Hag to recruit new players?

I'm not sure where this idea of an either/or situation has came from that we somehow need to finish outside the top 4 to see change within the squad. The squad will be overhauled regardless of where we finish simply because we have so many players out of contract or who were always likely to leave anyway.

Ralf will have been trying to get this team to 4th it just didn't work out for him, he could have managed this team to 4th and virtually nothing would have changed with regards to his consultancy role or his suggestions on what he thinks the club need to do.

All we achieve by finishing outside the CL places is making Ten Hag's job a lot harder, he will most likely have less money available for transfers, not being able to offer CL football limits the range of players who will want to join to an extent and he'll possibly have to deal with playing in the Europa League next season.
I freaking doubt Ole was going to get us top four. Was never going to happen.

Slysi17

Man speaks sense.

Why a good portion of our supporters are clamouring for a quick fix "top four" finish that would just paper over the cracks, is beyond me. We've been doing that for the last 10 years - keeping our "owners" happy with the CL money.
I don't get this oh we should of kept Ole as he would of got us top four. Did fans freaking watch us this season. No way Ole was getting top four if he stayed on.

El Jefe

The man is a genius for how he has most of you lapping up his quotes.

A downright failure of a coach and an unpleasant man but he's viewed as some freedom fighter here.

His press conferences are only to push his own agenda. If they weren't he would take accountability for some of the tumescent performances under him. Let's not forget he put his hat in the ring to be manager for an additional year, he got rid of players on loan and said the squad morale was better with a smaller squad. He also said we had loads of competition for places when Pogba returned from injury and that it was a good problem to have.

All of a sudden, the team is full of shite players that are unable to adapt to different systems. Truth is he's a dinosaur, his coaching techniques and ways of getting through to players is from the stone age. He's always talking about Klopp was able to do or Tuchel but the key part he's missing is he's nothing like them. At his peak he was a C rate manager, let alone this version of him basically semi-retired in Russia.

For the idiots who will come with "these players have thrown every manager under the bus including Rangnick and you're blaming him" gang, no I'm not solely blaming Ralf. Players are and have been shite and of course we need a clear out in the summer. My issue is Ralf's lack of accountability.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Complete BS. Tell me which elite manager was going to come halfway and take on as an interim manager?
Interim managers are not usually elite.
This was not the time to reinvent the wheel, United should have hired an interim manager similar to the ones other clubs hire.

Slysi17

A downright failure of a coach and an unpleasant man but he's viewed as some freedom fighter here.

His press conferences are only to push his own agenda. If they weren't he would take accountability for some of the tumescent performances under him. Let's not forget he put his hat in the ring to be manager for an additional year, he got rid of players on loan and said the squad morale was better with a smaller squad. He also said we had loads of competition for places when Pogba returned from injury and that it was a good problem to have.

All of a sudden, the team is full of shite players that are unable to adapt to different systems. Truth is he's a dinosaur, his coaching techniques and ways of getting through to players is from the stone age. He's always talking about Klopp was able to do or Tuchel but the key part he's missing is he's nothing like them. At his peak he was a C rate manager, let alone this version of him basically semi-retired in Russia.

For the idiots who will come with "these players have thrown every manager under the bus including Rangnick and you're blaming him" gang, no I'm not solely blaming Ralf. Players are and have been shite and of course we need a clear out in the summer. My issue is Ralf's lack of accountability.
How about blaming Ole as well. Ole was partly to blame for putting us in this position of having to hire an interim manager. Absolutely childish post.

mctrials23

And yet Ralf is somehow being compared to a guy who failed after three years. Some of you really embody the word shameless.
Its astounding isn't it.

1. Hes been given a mess of a squad that the previous manager expensively assembled to play god knows what style of football.
2. Hes taken over from a guy whos only real skill seems to have been keeping players relatively happy by letting them run the team so he wasn't taking over a team hating their manager.
3. Hes not a charismatic manager who will pick up a team and get the good vibes rolling and he wasn't hired to do that.
4. He hasn't been able to bring in a team of coaches he wanted because it was all last minute and mid-season.
5. He was given no money to spend in January.
6. Greenwood was found out to be at utter cnut so there goes one of our "get out of jail free" players.
7. Rashford hasn't given 2 shits for a while now. There goes another one of our game changers.
8. Cavani has been MIA for a while
9. Ronaldo has both saved us at times and been a meme of his clinical former self.

Quite the easy job if you ask me. Would Conte have done better? Probably. Would we be having this same conversation in 2 years time after spending another £200m? Almost certainly.

I think that many of us pinned our hopes on the idea that this bunch of overpaid twats would respond well to some structure and technical coaching and that they would have some vague level of pride in the shirt and put in even 80% effort. How foolish we feel now...

So we should just accept that 9 wins in 20 league games is good enough because the squad is "disjointed" Does Arsenal really have that much better squad than us?
No but they have a squad that is far more balanced than ours and the most important thing, they have a squad that is motivated and works for each other. This is what boggles my mind. The basic level of football understanding that so many of our fans lack. I swear half of you would play 11 Ronaldos in a team if you could and then scratch your head when you got absolutely pasted every week.

Perhaps this level of analysis should have been levelled at Ole occasionally over the past 3 years when we were getting outplayed by relegation fodder and pretty much every team in the league. Where was the "why are we looking worse than Burnley when our squad cost 10x theirs?". Where was the "we shouldn't be happy when we are routinely outplayed by 70% of teams and only win because we have more talented players in our team". Why weren't our fans looking at how every other top team in the world plays and saying "dear lord we are like a pub team compared to these boys and yet we spend the same or more money".

I accept that we have a poor squad who have been really poor this year but I also acccept the fact that Ralf has failed in pretty much every department. Our attack has not improved one bit and we still leak in goals. This is not an agenda it's just the truth.
See the first part of my post. I agree that RR has failed in his job purely as our manager and I would also be amazed if any other manager would have done considerably better unless by some miracle these players transformed into people who give a shit. I think that we set him up to fail from day one and I think his mind has been blown by just how dysfunctional a multi billion pound club is. I think that he would have been find if there was even a little buy in from the players.

Yes, a managers job is to motivate players but honestly I am kind of glad that he didn't manage to perform some sort of miracle that would potentially lead the board to think things didn't need a complete rebuild from the ground up. As I said earlier, if someone like Conte came in and got 4th place I would be 100% sure that he would have got a 3 year contract and nothing would have changed by the end of it other than a few hundred million more down the drain.

I basically have nothing but sympathy for RR. Not an elite manager but shouldn't need to have been to get 4th place if these players didn't throw him under the bus.

captaincantona

Champions League football and more money for Ten Hag to recruit new players?

I'm not sure where this idea of an either/or situation has came from that we somehow need to finish outside the top 4 to see change within the squad. The squad will be overhauled regardless of where we finish simply because we have so many players out of contract or who were always likely to leave anyway.

Ralf will have been trying to get this team to 4th it just didn't work out for him, he could have managed this team to 4th and virtually nothing would have changed with regards to his consultancy role or his suggestions on what he thinks the club need to do.

All we achieve by finishing outside the CL places is making Ten Hag's job a lot harder, he will most likely have less money available for transfers, not being able to offer CL football limits the range of players who will want to join to an extent and he'll possibly have to deal with playing in the Europa League next season.
For example - if you want Pogba to be at his best, when he says he wants to leave you publicly state you want him to stay and he is world class (like Ole). But where would that land ETH? A lazy player who has to be in the first 11 because we just handed him 400k a week - knock on effect - the other midfielders want better contracts cause lazy hole is getting paid much more!

Rinse and repeat for WB, Cavani, Rashford, Martial, Jesse etc.

min not sayi he wasn’t trying to get top four. I’m saying it was more important to stop the rot first - set a standard and let these players know the climate at the club was changing...then try do as well as he could. He has obviously upset the applecart - hence the results. But that doesn’t mean he was wrong to draw a line with these players.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
How about blaming Ole as well. Ole was partly to blame for putting us in this position of having to hire an interim manager. Absolutely childish post.
Ole was accountable for the bad results. The consequence was that he was fired. Should he have been double-fired? What are you complaining about?

Slysi17

Ole was accountable for the bad results. The consequence was that he was fired. Should he have been double-fired? What are you complaining about?
well you were saying oh its all Ralf Rangick fault. Without mentioning Ole screwed up so we had to get an interim manager in. The post was childish in the fact it was blaming Ralf Ranigck in the whole post basically. How about blaming the players and the board as well. It would of made what you said alot better and somewhat more justified.

crossy1686

career ending

The shortsightedness of this post just confirms that Ten Hag will get 6 months before people start calling him a fraud.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
well you were saying oh its all Ralf Rangick fault. Without mentioning Ole screwed up so we had to get an interim manager in. The post was childish in the fact it was blaming Ralf Ranigck in the whole post basically.
El Jefe correctly pointed out that there is a total lack of accountability in Rangnick right now. He is using his future consultancy as a way to shield himself from the responsibilities that literally any other manager, interim or permanent, would have at any other job.

Slysi17

The shortsightedness of this post just confirms that Ten Hag will get 6 months before people start calling him a fraud.
Its essentially putting all the blame on Ralf Rangick :lol: I am not sure if thats how you read it.

Slysi17

El Jefe correctly pointed out that there is a total lack of accountability in Rangnick right now. He is using his future consultancy as a way to shield himself from the responsibilities that literally any other manager, interim or permanent, would have at any other job.
At least he is calling out the board on how they have run the club. Do you want to get a new manager and not be in the champions league in another 3 years?

crossy1686

career ending
Okay, let's fire Rangnick and get another interim in for the next 4 games, that'll show we don't accept failure, until Ralf comes back as a consultant next month that is

Rooney24

For me not too much should have been expected of Rangnick. Our season was in complete free fall under Ole and he was put in to simply stop that. To an extent he has, granted the last month or so hasnt been great.

But Im not sure why anyone thought he was gonna perform miracles with the same squad of players we are all screaming needs culled. Was never gonna happen.

What I do find strange though (and I HATE that I am agreeing with Martin Keown) is that he is being kept on as a consultant for the next two years yet he admitted he has never personally spoke with Ten Hag.

Maybe Im expecting different but I would have thought he would have had a greater insight and role into the managers appointment than that.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
For me not too much should have been expected of Rangnick. Our season was in complete free fall under Ole and he was put in to simply stop that. To an extent he has, granted the last month or so hasnt been great.

But Im not sure why anyone thought he was gonna perform miracles with the same squad of players we are all screaming needs culled. Was never gonna happen.

What I do find strange though (and I HATE that I am agreeing with Martin Keown) is that he is being kept on as a consultant for the next two years yet he admitted he has never personally spoke with Ten Hag.

Maybe Im expecting different but I would have thought he would have had a greater insight and role into the managers appointment than that.
You don't need to believe everything that is publically said. It's widely reported he has been very much involved in the appointment.
However, in press conferences, he has always said he is not involved and is only focused on the job of being interim.

Tavern in the town

It’s remarkable how he’s convinced the entire fanbase that we need 25 new players. This squad is full of players who have looked excellent for either us, their previous club or their national team and the idea that we need to sign 10 players this summer is absurd. It’s amazing the degree to which he’s lowered fan expectation given how optimistic we all were in the summer and also how optimistic we were when he first came in. Failure to make top 4 given a) the absolute dream fixture run he had when he came in and b) how fecking shite Arsenal And Spurs are is criminal.

El Jefe

This post is the perfect reply. What is it with the Rangnick defence league and bringing up Ole repeatedly. He wasn't good enough and was fired. He held his hands up in his final interview.

Rangnick till today has failed to mention he's not been good enough.
Silly post. ETH actually has credit in the bank for actually being a top coach. The results might not go his way in the first 6 months but I'm almost certain our style of play will be completely different. Rangnick is a fraud, he did a lot of talking and nothing has changed on the pitch. I struggle to see a more fitting word for him than fraud.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Its astounding isn't it.

1. Hes been given a mess of a squad that the previous manager expensively assembled to play god knows what style of football.
2. Hes taken over from a guy whos only real skill seems to have been keeping players relatively happy by letting them run the team so he wasn't taking over a team hating their manager.
3. Hes not a charismatic manager who will pick up a team and get the good vibes rolling and he wasn't hired to do that.
4. He hasn't been able to bring in a team of coaches he wanted because it was all last minute and mid-season.
5. He was given no money to spend in January.
6. Greenwood was found out to be at utter cnut so there goes one of our "get out of jail free" players.
7. Rashford hasn't given 2 shits for a while now. There goes another one of our game changers.
8. Cavani has been MIA for a while
9. Ronaldo has both saved us at times and been a meme of his clinical former self.

Quite the easy job if you ask me. Would Conte have done better? Probably. Would we be having this same conversation in 2 years time after spending another £200m? Almost certainly.

I think that many of us pinned our hopes on the idea that this bunch of overpaid twats would respond well to some structure and technical coaching and that they would have some vague level of pride in the shirt and put in even 80% effort. How foolish we feel now...

No but they have a squad that is far more balanced than ours and the most important thing, they have a squad that is motivated and works for each other. This is what boggles my mind. The basic level of football understanding that so many of our fans lack. I swear half of you would play 11 Ronaldos in a team if you could and then scratch your head when you got absolutely pasted every week.

Perhaps this level of analysis should have been levelled at Ole occasionally over the past 3 years when we were getting outplayed by relegation fodder and pretty much every team in the league. Where was the "why are we looking worse than Burnley when our squad cost 10x theirs?". Where was the "we shouldn't be happy when we are routinely outplayed by 70% of teams and only win because we have more talented players in our team". Why weren't our fans looking at how every other top team in the world plays and saying "dear lord we are like a pub team compared to these boys and yet we spend the same or more money".

See the first part of my post. I agree that RR has failed in his job purely as our manager and I would also be amazed if any other manager would have done considerably better unless by some miracle these players transformed into people who give a shit. I think that we set him up to fail from day one and I think his mind has been blown by just how dysfunctional a multi billion pound club is. I think that he would have been find if there was even a little buy in from the players.

Yes, a managers job is to motivate players but honestly I am kind of glad that he didn't manage to perform some sort of miracle that would potentially lead the board to think things didn't need a complete rebuild from the ground up. As I said earlier, if someone like Conte came in and got 4th place I would be 100% sure that he would have got a 3 year contract and nothing would have changed by the end of it other than a few hundred million more down the drain.

I basically have nothing but sympathy for RR. Not an elite manager but shouldn't need to have been to get 4th place if these players didn't throw him under the bus.
I guess the problem is, how can you now make a judgement on which players are not good enough full stop, and which players are good enough but for whatever reason aren’t performing. To me, that differentiation could only have been achieved if RR had managed to motivate the players, and is an absolutely key bit of information that ETH needs. It really confuses me if you say that the plan was never to motivate the team and separate the skilled underperformers from the unskilled ones. Although to be fair I think that the blame for that should be on the board as much as Ralf.

goptun

Only an idiot thought Ralf was a first rate coach when we brought him in. Murtough liked Ralf for how he built RB Leipzig - hence why he was signed as an interim manager for 9 months with a much longer, 2 year consultancy role included. The squad is an utter shambles and we need a new way of approaching things if we are to get it sorted.

How would you have approached our rebuild + replacing Ole in November, out of interest?

crossy1686

career ending
Silly post. ETH actually has credit in the bank for actually being a top coach. The results might not go his way in the first 6 months but I'm almost certain our style of play will be completely different. Rangnick is a fraud, he did a lot of talking and nothing has changed on the pitch. I struggle to see a more fitting word for him than fraud.
You do realise that Ten Hag and Rangnick play the same style of football right? Unless we have a complete overhaul you can expect more of the disjointed shite we've had this season.

I'm sure the people over at Red Bull and the managers who are successful after working under him have another word for him that isn't 'fraud' but I'm sure you're much more informed than all of them.

Slysi17

This post is the perfect reply. What is it with the Rangnick defence league and bringing up Ole repeatedly. He wasn't good enough and was fired. He held his hands up in his final interview.

Rangnick till today has failed to mention he's not been good enough.

I could say the same for the hate Ralf Rangick is getting. Absolutely absurd. He hasn't done a good a job of being interim manager. Your are blaming the wrong person. It should be the board and the players. Its fine to say Ralf hasn't done a good job of being manager. 100% correct but you too are also ignoring the main problem. Just getting Ten Hag in won't fix anything. Short sighted view you have too.

Gordon Godot

Only an idiot thought Ralf was a first rate coach when we brought him in. Murtough liked Ralf for how he built RB Leipzig - hence why he was signed as an interim manager for 9 months with a much longer, 2 year consultancy role included. The squad is an utter shambles and we need a new way of approaching things if we are to get it sorted.

How would you have approached our rebuild + replacing Ole in November, out of interest?
We are simply seeing the rotting corpse of the former football club that is MUFC exposed to the light of day. Its clear from McT's comments that the whole place is in dissaray. Ralf may not have the ability to provide a short term fix, buts its no more on him that he has 'failed' any more than it was down to Ole for his failures. The problems are much bigger and wider than that.

Smithy89

I absolutely love Ralf coming out and basically calling them all useless, selfish, egomaniacs who are also bang average.

Slysi17

What are you on about?
well I am replying to posts complaining we didn't get top four because of Ralf Ragnick. Actually read what other users have been saying before asking a silly question like what are you on about.

El Jefe

You do realise that Ten Hag and Rangnick play the same style of football right? Unless we have a complete overhaul you can expect more of the disjointed shite we've had this season.

I'm sure the people over at Red Bull and the managers who are successful after working under him have another word for him that isn't 'fraud' but I'm sure you're much more informed than all of them.
I'm sure Daniel Farke plays the same system too, should we hire him also?

Comparing ETH to Rangnick makes no sense at all. Like I've said the players have been poor and need to be replaced but Rangnick is feeding the fanbase poison and lies, this group of players is 100% capable of more than they are doing under him.

His reason for the poor performances under his tenure according to him has to do with everyone but him. Funny that.

stevoc

For example - if you want Pogba to be at his best, when he says he wants to leave you publicly state you want him to stay and he is world class (like Ole). But where would that land ETH? A lazy player who has to be in the first 11 because we just handed him 400k a week - knock on effect - the other midfielders want better contracts cause lazy hole is getting paid much more!

Rinse and repeat for WB, Cavani, Rashford, Martial, Jesse etc.

min not sayi he wasn’t trying to get top four. I’m saying it was more important to stop the rot first - set a standard and let these players know the climate at the club was changing...then try do as well as he could. He has obviously upset the applecart - hence the results. But that doesn’t mean he was wrong to draw a line with these players.
So you seem to be saying if we finish 4th that the likes of Pogba, Cavani and Lingard etc have secret clauses in their contracts that mean they have to stay?

All of Pogba, Cavani and Lingard will leave regardless of where we finish as they all want to leave. Same with Mata, Matic and probably Jones.

So what's the tangible benefit for the next manager that his predecessor finished outside the top 4?

Lyng

I'm sure Daniel Farke plays the same system too, should we hire him also?

Comparing ETH to Rangnick makes no sense at all. Like I've said the players have been poor and need to be replaced but Rangnick is feeding the fanbase poison and lies, this group of players is 100% capable of more than they are doing under him.

His reason for the poor performances under his tenure according to him has to do with everyone but him. Funny that.
This group was shit under LvG, Ole, Mourinho....No lies detected. They are not United quality.

El Jefe

This group was shit under LvG, Ole, Mourinho....No lies detected. They are not United quality.
Who plays regularly for us now that was shit under both LVG and Ole/RR? I'll wait...

Where did I even say they were united quality? I said they were capable of being better than how they've played under Ralf and that's an absolute fact if you look at the last 4 seasons.

stevoc

well I am replying to posts complaining we didn't get top four because of Ralf Ragnick. Actually read what other users have been saying before asking a silly question like what are you on about.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The fecking irony.

Think you need to read my post again mate, not one mention of Ole and I wasn't even complaining.

Lyng

Who plays regularly for us now that was shit under both LVG and Ole/RR? I'll wait...

Where did I even say they were united quality? I said they were capable of being better than how they've played under Ralf and that's an absolute fact if you look at the last 4 seasons.
As soon as Ole switched to a more progressive system they turned to shit. Under Mourinho they downed tools quite clearly.

It would be easier to name those who werent shit.

Slysi17

So you seem to be saying if we finish 4th that the likes of Pogba, Cavani and Lingard etc have secret clauses in their contracts that mean they have to stay?

All of Pogba, Cavani and Lingard will leave regardless of where we finish as they all want to leave. Same with Mata, Matic and probably Jones.

So what's the tangible benefit for the next manager that his predecessor finished outside the top 4?
Will reverse that. What was the benefit in finishing inside the top four the last 2 seasons then? or even going further back to Van Gaal and Mourinho. Any benefit in finishing top four in those seasons?

Slysi17

Insulting another member
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The fecking irony.

Think you need to read my post again mate, not one mention of Ole and I wasn't even complaining.
wasn't meaning that. I was replying to the other users complaining about not getting top four because of Ralf Rangick. Your are being a complete douchebag.

stevoc

Will reverse that. What was the benefit in finishing inside the top four the last 2 seasons then? or even going further back to Van Gaal and Mourinho. Any benefit in finishing top four in those seasons?
:lol:

You almost had me there mate, top trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.