Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phelans shorts

I think that was back when the squad was split into different training groups due to Covid cases in the squad. It seems the group that were in last were unhappy training so late in the day, having to make their way home in the dark and having less free time in the afternoon to do the things they normally do.
They should have been happy spending their entire day sat at home twiddling their thumbs, not getting to see their kids.

There’s obviously valid complaints about the squad, but sometimes people fixate on what is an oversimplified tagline and not accept that there is a reasonable complaint in there because that doesn’t fit with the toxic mindset most of the fan base seems to have right now.

Dan_F

Real Madrid won the league and are in the final of the Champions League and I'm pretty sure Ancelotti isn't teaching them sophisticated coordinated pressing.

It's just football. It's really not that complicated.
Mentality, leadership and other intangibles are so overlooked it’s unreal. If you can do both that and coach at the elite level you end up with Pep and Klopp. You can have all the coaching and tactics in the world, but if the players don’t believe in you, it’s won’t matter. Same as any other leadership role.

Anyone who knows the slightest thing about leadership and management can see why Rangnick failed.

Amarsdd

sometimes going through this thread I honestly think some don't understand what the manager's job is. Its in the job title itself.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Probably why they were so easy to play through vs all of PSG, Chelsea and City. Ancelotti was teetering on the edge of the sack for months, a few moments of madness in each of those ties doesn’t make him a better manager. Cup competitions are fraught with variance.
Ancelotti has not been even remotely close to being sacked and he also won the league.

DSG

He's developed their young talent to another level and has had Benzema turn into the best player in the world under him...

It's very much not coincidental or luck. Ancelotti is one of the best talent/ceiling raisers in football history.

Even had DCL looking like a world beater during his time at Everton.
Agree.

Ancelotti has an argument to be the greatest manager of all time. Not saying he is, but… titles in all 5 top leagues, 4 domestic cups in 4 different leagues, 3 CL titles, two with Milan and 1 with Real, plus two more CL finals.

People seem to think he’s not great because he’s not known for tactical innovations, but the guy absolutely knows his tactics.

stevoc

They should have been happy spending their entire day sat at home twiddling their thumbs, not getting to see their kids.

There’s obviously valid complaints about the squad, but sometimes people fixate on what is an oversimplified tagline and not accept that there is a reasonable complaint in there because that doesn’t fit with the toxic mindset most of the fan base seems to have right now.
Indeed, truth is if you ask anyone in any line of work to work 4-6 hours later then they are used to which would obviously mess up their routines and possibly affect family responsibilities. The majority of them would be pissed off having to reorganise their schedule.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
So that's the end of Rangnick's reign then, brief as it was. Marks our of ten?

I'll give him an 8 for the dossier stuff and 1 for tactics. A respectable 9 out of 10 for me.

Chairman Steve

At utter face value, purely looking at results with zero nuance, it’s like 6/10 absolute tops. There’s an absolute myriad of factors involved though like these players once again downing tools, him having to come in mid season, him having to cobble together a coaching team as the previous regime jumped ship with the captain. I don’t think this squad gave a shit because he was an interim and it is filled with some bad eggs who undermine us via leaking to the media for juicy yet trashy articles about us.

But time will tell whether this Ralf interimship was good in the long run. Hopefully in a few years we’ll be saying that thank god we bit the bullet by having Ralf as an interim as it lead to significant improvements.

The purge in the hierarchy looks like a good start and while I don’t think that’s all Ralf, it’s more Murtough and Arnold but Murtough probably did run it past Ralf and he agreed, and I‘m sure the Glazers probably noted it too when an experienced second opinion like Ralf came in and concurred with what Murtough and Arnold pitched.

Ranchero

Does any one now dare to argue that Conte was absolutely the right choice when he was available rather than going with an interim with limited powers to change anything at our football club. The hindsight merchants, looking at how he is taking a lame Spurs lot towards Champions League, will. But the number of people on here who went on about Conte not being the right fit because of his fiery temperament... that is PRECISELY why we needed him. A winner who compromises nothing. Instead we get Ralf who, while he talks a good game, failed to do anything to change the entitled culture amongst this group of overpaid imposter footballers. And while I will 100% support Ten Hag at Old Trafford and outside these forums, there is nothing about his past work that shows that he has the experience to turn things around.

pascell

I'll give him an 8 for the dossier stuff and 1 for tactics. A respectable 9 out of 10 for me.
I'd go with the same, 9/10. The only manager not to pander to our players, has openly told the club where its going wrong and how many players we need to buy whilst doing his press conferences and he'll give ten Hag an unbiased opinion on every player. The only slight I've got against him is not using youth enough.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Eager to hear his last press conference. Won't watch the game, don't care, but more important his last words.

Hopes he continues throwing the players in front of their responsibilities

devips

RR is the ultimate press conference manager.

The biggest con man in football.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
In what world does RR get a 9/10 rating for what we've seen this season?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Does any one now dare to argue that Conte was absolutely the right choice when he was available rather than going with an interim with limited powers to change anything at our football club. The hindsight merchants, looking at how he is taking a lame Spurs lot towards Champions League, will. But the number of people on here who went on about Conte not being the right fit because of his fiery temperament... that is PRECISELY why we needed him. A winner who compromises nothing. Instead we get Ralf who, while he talks a good game, failed to do anything to change the entitled culture amongst this group of overpaid imposter footballers. And while I will 100% support Ten Hag at Old Trafford and outside these forums, there is nothing about his past work that shows that he has the experience to turn things around.
Conte would have got us better results than Rangnick did over the same period of time. But that’s not the point. Conte wasn’t a popular choice because of what his appointment means in the much longer term. He wasn’t ever considered as an interim manager, nor would he have accepted such a role, so the comparison is pointless.

mctrials23

Conte was absolutely not the right choice. Well done, hes taken Spurs with easily 2 of the best and most in form forwards in the league to 4th place while United are shit and Arsenal are Arsenal. Not exactly earth shattering. Those two alone win Spurs so many points.

Conte is a good manager but I want root change at this club. Not another "results now" guy who comes in, lasts 2-3 years and leaves the club in a bit of a mess.

Make no mistake, there is a reason City and Liverpool are so dominant. Its because they understand that the team is more important than the individual. You need to recruit well and give a manager time to build something and if we went with Conte it would have been another patch job because we would have probably got top 4, everyone would have forgotten that we play fecking awful football and we would have been in a similar position in 3 years. Maybe with a cup or two if you are lucky.

Conte wouldn't have come in for 6 months so no, he was not the right man for the job. Spurs also don't have a toxic mess of a dressing room like us. They have a bunch of OK players and Son and Kane. We have a bunch of players who think they are far better and more important than they are and would have butted heads with Conte and probably won.

I haven't wished we had Conte at any point honestly.

sugar_kane

I'd go with the same, 9/10. The only manager not to pander to our players, has openly told the club where its going wrong and how many players we need to buy whilst doing his press conferences and he'll give ten Hag an unbiased opinion on every player. The only slight I've got against him is not using youth enough.
This is a joke right?

I'd give him 9 if it was out 100.

Rangnick recognised this squad isn't good enough and spoke openly about it, well done mate. Might as well give every idiot on Twitter 9/10 as well.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Starting to think some of ya'll wumming...

Last edited:

stevoc

As United manager based on results, out of 10 I'd give him a 3/10.

Anything not football related eg. press conferences and 'exposing' people (and himself) I'd give him an 9/10.

Let's hope Ten Hag concentrates more on working with and improving the team and results on the pitch as opposed providing soundbites for the media in his weekly press conferences.

RuudTom83

I'd like to see some transfer targets that are more influenced by Ralf tbh. Reading about Kante and FDJ sounds very much like a Woodward transfer window to me.

United need to be shrewd during the summer and Ralf's input would help a lot in my opinion.

romufc

I'd like to see some transfer targets that are more influenced by Ralf tbh. Reading about Kante and FDJ sounds very much like a Woodward transfer window to me.

United need to be shrewd during the summer and Ralf's input would help a lot in my opinion.
What about what our actual manager wants?

Elcabron

I'm in agreement with this. Conte would have been a great choice. He would only leave after a year or so if the board didn't back him but during that year he would have proven that he is worth backing unlike Jose and LVG and that's the difference.

Really hope ETH is everything we hope he will but Conte is a proven winner across multiple clubs in different countries and is still at his peak.

Also he is the same age as ETH in case anyone was wondering.

saivet

I'd give him a 3/10. From a result and performance perspective we've seen little to no improvement. We did have a spell in a 433 where performances were promising but we then reverted back to the 4231.

Overall a huge disappointment. Some can say his consultancy and observations of the club are more important and while it may prove to be the case he's been a massive failure. Many said that we'd at least be more solid and he would provide top coaching but none of that has materialised.

Both Whitwell and Mitten have said that Rangnick and the coaches he brought in have underwhelmed from a coaching perspective. Sure we can criticise the players but I'm convinced a better coach would and should have made significant improvements to results and performances. Given his boardroom expertise, hopefully its not a complete waste.

Greck

We dont need Conte. For a club that's about attacking football we have too much tolerance for pragmatic managers. It's true this team seems to even play better with that kind of football but it's time to move away from that. Hard pass, no regrets. I get that RR has underwhelmed but it hasn't even been a year and we're already talking about going back to those types of managers. No, thank you.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
We dont need Conte. For a club that's about attacking football we have too much tolerance for pragmatic managers. It's true this team seems to even play better with that kind of football but it's time to move away from that. Hard pass, no regrets. I get that RR has underwhelmed but it hasn't even been a year and we're already talking about going back to those types of managers. No, thank you.
Precisely...Interim failure or not, I am so tired of being bored of United. We rarely excite, rarely control, just dull football. I'm glad we have taken on a progressive manager, and will allow RR to assist in bringing some of our systems up to par.

I understand that the manager's job is to sort out a lot of the issues the team is facing, but RR has been here how long? and he's experiencing issues that have been present many managers now. It's exceedingly difficult for someone to right a ship in the best circumstances, let alone a team and club in utter disarray, with dollar store coaches and a roster of players who are either one foot out the door, or just mentally shot. He himself, shoulders some blame, but this is 9 years in the making, and his portion of the blame is by far the smallest.

El Jefe

In what world does RR get a 9/10 rating for what we've seen this season?
You honestly can't make it up :lol: :lol:

I've never seen anyone be it player or manager con fans as much as RR has. He's serving shit described as ice cream and people are falling for it.

4/10 for me.

city-puma

You honestly can't make it up :lol: :lol:

I've never seen anyone be it player or manager con fans as much as RR has. He's serving shit described as ice cream and people are falling for it.

4/10 for me.
Well, 4 is very high!
0/10 for me, because he doesn’t do anything positive really as interim manager.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He definitely was unprepared for such football hostile enviroment like current United side. He was set to fail and he did it in 0/10 manner. Well done to the players who destroy any manager coming close to this club.

When football emotions get more balanced and they will, his key work for this club starts with FT whistle vs Palace. I trust he gathered much needed data and he'll be exuberant when talking to Ten Hag about particular players and how they did him in similar way to Ole.

Terrible appointment or not, he still could be key in saving Ten Hag's job.

Trophy Room

He just didn’t have the players to implement his system. Didn’t have a plan B to utilise his resources more effectively.

Should’ve kept Carrick, I think he would’ve got us top 4. Better rapport with players and had a more pragmatic, result oriented playing style.

Marcelinho87

He just didn’t have the players to implement his system. Didn’t have a plan B to utilise his resources more effectively.

Should’ve kept Carrick, I think he would’ve got us top 4. Better rapport with players and had a more pragmatic, result oriented playing style.
With Carrick there would have been no input into the next manager and us having Poch imo... I think RR pushed for ETH, I really do.

Status
Not open for further replies.