Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Thinker

Let there be no connection to LVG. Rangnick is far more modernised. To the point that his tactics are in use at the elite level with Liverpool and Chelsea and Bayern. LVG was outdated.

Rangnick is famed an innovator. I see him innovating the next 6 months.

Blood Mage

He needs his own coaches so he doesn't have to ask Kieran fecking McKenna for advice ever again.

city-puma

The first 30 minutes was the most intense football we've played since that time under SAF when Cleverley and Anderson were pressing teams into submission (which was a spell that lasted 5-6 matches and was the most entertaining football I remember us playing).

This is clearly a fitness issue.
Cleverley + Anderson partnership was still one of my preferred. It’s pity that it could only last several games.

Greck

that's easy because Ole was not a coach.
which is why I can't understand why he wouldn't hire one. The speed at which they're picking up Rangnick's coaching these players are clearly familiar with these systems. Most good players are. There was no need to amble around cluelessly in attack for so long. Just get some help with possession and technical coaching.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Feeling slightly conflicted here. Comfortable for most of the game and kept our first clean sheet in 9 years but also outright denied me from remaking the sack watch thread.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Well his tactics will take time to really show and that’s not to mention the obvious challenges that lack of fitness these tactics will highlight. It’s was a positive showing today.

I’m glad we have a dead rubber of a game midweek — he can really concentrate on the first team and our games in the PL for the foreseeable.

the_cliff

The first 30 minutes were the best we've played this season. This is the same side that beat City, played Arsenal of the park (were unlucky not to win) and destroyed Spurs. Very promising considering it was his first game.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
which is why I can't understand why he wouldn't hire one. The speed at which they're picking up Rangnick's coaching these players are clearly familiar with these systems. Most good players are. There was no need to amble around cluelessly in attack for so long. Just get some help with possession and technical coaching.
Ole was supposed to be the coach.
The idiot board should have hired a proper manager/coach.
Now they have.

dutchred

It will be interesting to see what sort of team he puts out against Young Boys. I think the back 5 will stay, Donny in place of Mac, Elenga in place of Rashford, Sancho in place of Bruno and Greenwood in place of Sancho

Infra-red

Encouraging start. I do fear that we simply don't have the fitness levels in the squad to play the way he wants - unfortunately, Ole has left one of the least fit and most passive teams in the league. If we can somehow overcome that and keep rotating the squad, then we should be able to sustain performances like the first 30 minutes today, over longer periods.

Delano

Impressed with the shift in tactics and attitude after only 2 days in training. Players tired but that was expected. Think if we're patient, he will be a success.

Yakuza_devils

For the first time in 3 years we can see what the team is trying to do. We have a progressive attacking style of play to work on. Meanwhile, we are still getting the results and overall the team look solid and actually play like a team.

lawliet354

Couldn't ask for more for managers coming in mid season. Clean sheet, 3 points, and our pressing looks good in the first 30 minutes.

People complaining about him talking a lot with Mckenna is embarassing

Sviken

First half was the best this team has ever played since the last time I can remember. We really suffocated them, they couldn't even get the ball out of their own half. Second half we devolved into proper Vibes FC Oleball, but that is to be expected. Nobody expects miracles. It will take weeks and even months before we start performing consistently. But the signs are there!

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
If our forwards are going to be that wasteful then we are always in danger of getting countered unfortunately. None of them are prolific apart from Ronaldo. The rest of them need to be working their socks off and be showing a ruthless aggressive attitude from the first kick. Players like Rashford and Pogba start games like we are 3-0 up. That’s a major problem with this squad.

L1nk

That was night and day from other performances, it didn’t always work but you could tel the difference in verticality if our passing, even McTominay was looking for forward passes. Sometimes our passing was taking out their entire midfield! Looking forward to seeing more, but not expecting miracles obviously

Infra-red

Couldn't ask for more for managers coming in mid season. Clean sheet, 3 points, and our pressing looks good in the first 30 minutes.

People complaining about him talking a lot with Mckenna is embarassing
Wait, what! People are actually complaining that our new manager is speaking to the incumbent coaches? That must surely rank up there with the most ludicrous and bone-headed complaints ever aired on this forum.

MeddlLoide

Supports
Leipzig
So in your opinion Rangnick > Mintzlaff? You guys are still playing with mostly Rangnick signings?
You can write a multiple page essay about this, but here rightfully nobody cares, so let's say it short, normally you shouldn't need to compare these two guys, Mintzlaff was good as the CEO and looking over the financial stuff, also he's very good with Mateschitz.
But since 2019 he has made himself something like an absolutist monarch after Rangnick left with the hiring of Krosche (normally the guy only was supposed to be an assistant for Rangnick and look at the cooperation with Paderborn which was torn down by their fans, suddenly he was the main sporting director and Rangnick gone), who he fired this year because his signings were total shit (like letting Schick go for being too expensive but then buying useless Sorloth for nearly the same and burning a ton of money in other transfers). Now he hasn't hired any new guy and is basically the boss for everything while having absolutely zero background in football so having no knowledge of what you need. So yes, Red Bull football before Rangnick was a waste of money and completely shit and now it looks like it will go that road again. Salzburg is still in good hands thanks to the scouting network he built and their sporting director Christoph Freund is a direct student of Rangnick so he makes the same good transfers (but he's a Leipzig hater so that doesn't help the entire system).

The team is built for Nagelsmann at this point so when you look at what was said today, the team didn't want to go back to pure pressing (rightfully so) and stay with the Nagelsmann possession system which Marsch while somewhat trying had no idea to teach (here another Mintzlaff masterclass comes to play selling all of Nagelsmann's assistants for change even though Nagelsmann said initially he won't take them with him).
This is the main worry I'd have as United, what he'll do when teams start parking the bus. This is always the issue with the Red Bull pressing teams. In 18/19 after a very bad start he found a solid way being monsters at set pieces and for a Rangnick team very good with the ball. If he just goes hiring Ten Hag in the summer while buying the right players it could turn out to be a non-issue anyway and after hiring Nagelsmann I very well could see him do it again. You can look at the guys he bought for Bragantino as well, they are in the 2nd season in the 1st tier and just were in the South American Europa final and could qualify for Libertadores now. His team building with Ten Hag as coach could be a juggernaut quickly.

Reactions: roonster09

AgentSmith

The first half an hour was excellent, at least in comparison to how disjointed and lethargic we’ve looked the rest of the season. Was always going to be a drop off as the players’ physical condition isn’t commensurate with what Rangnick is demanding from them. But we remained defensively sound and were comfortably in control of the game, which is another huge improvement. Dalot in particular was impressive, considering he was up against Zaha.

The 4-2-2-2 seems to work well and I liked the general balance of the team. Would prefer to see this as the starting XI next weekend though

De Gea
Dalot - Lindelof - Maguire - Telles
VDB - Fred
Bruno - - - - Sancho
Greenwood - Ronaldo​

Thiagoal

It really is quite shocking how a proper manager is able to get a shape and style of play in one training session compared to three years of nothing!

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Am I crazy after watching the game that the team really tried to press on a collective way (ok not even close to perfection) this after what, 1 training session, which probably was recovery and video sessions?

Or I am trying to see things that didn’t existed? When was the last time the team kept a clean sheet at home?

Status
Not open for further replies.