Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crossy1686

career ending
Can't remember if Fletcher was around for training sessions when Ole was here but, on the bench for the game against Chelsea and seen a pic with him at training yesterday.

Wonder what his role is during this time.
He’s technical director but because Carrick has left and they’re short of coaches he’s helping out. He only stepped in after Ole got sacked.

Due To FA Covid regulations, if Fletch is going to train with the first team he has to sit on the bench (to reduce the risk of catching Covid on match day) and then infecting the squad the next week in training.

Last edited:

Yagami

Good post resistant
We saw that with Tuchel. Even Vieira, Palace play so differently under him than Hodgson.
I mean, I've been saying this since the 12/13 season when Pochettino took over Southampton from Adkins and turned Southampton into the best pressing team in the league immediately. Never heard Fergie speak so highly of a manager after our 1-0 home game against them in which we could barely get out of our half.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I mean, I've been saying this since the 12/13 season when Pochettino took over Southampton from Adkins and turned Southampton into the best pressing team in the league immediately. Never heard Fergie speak so highly of a manager after our 1-0 home game against them in which we could barely get out of our half.
Fair to say Pochettino PSG is miles away from being a pressing team this days, and some of his decisions are quite baffling to say the least.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Fair to say Pochettino PSG is miles away from being a pressing team this days, and some of his decisions are quite baffling to say the least.
Hard to judge when the egos of his front three prevent an organised team press.

Newtonius

Have a feeling he will be in the job longer than 6 months if he wants it, especially if the players buy in to what he is doing. Even though it was only short periods the team hasn't seen that kind of organisational progress in many a year and it was only one small training session.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Hard to judge when the egos of his front three prevent an organised team press.
That absolutely. But the choices he makes for the first 11 and the way the team plays since he arrived there is far from impressive. Miles away from Tuchel.

Yagami

Good post resistant
That absolutely. But the choices he makes for the first 11 and the way the teams play since he arrived there is far from impressive. Miles away from Tuchel.
You're right but Tuchel didn't have Messi. Obviously Messi is Messi and it's great to have.maybe the best ever, but his turtle routine out of possession is a massive headache Tuchel didn't have.

Kopral Jono

Carl Anka the only one of the Athletic lot with sense. They booted him off the podcast because he wasn’t cheerleading the previous charlatan.
Imagine being so brainwashed by 'DNA' and the 'United way' and thinking that this was the way forward for us. I still can't get it round my head the absolute free rein Ole got from segments of our fanbase.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
You're right but Tuchel didn't have Messi. Obviously Messi is Messi and it's great to have.maybe the best ever, but his turtle routine out of possession is a massive headache Tuchel didn't have.
Anyway, if I had to take a decision to sign a new coach he wouldn't be my first choice. There are better options.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Imagine being so brainwashed by 'DNA' and the 'United way' and thinking that this was the way forward for us. I still can't get it round my head the absolute free rein Ole got from segments of our fanbase.
Sickening really.

Dion

This is painful to watch.
It's one of those things, Clough, Fergie, Ancelotti, Zidane etc. don't talk about tactics publicly and also regurgitate this "it's about winning your battles" and "passion" stuff... it's well known that SAF rarely went into depth tactically during team talks etc.

The evidence that Solskjaer wasn't up to it tactically is the results on the pitch. Plenty of managers talk a lot about tactics and are horrible at implementing them and plenty act like they don't exist but are clearly tactically astute.

That work is done on the training pitch and in the analysis room and it shows on the pitch. What managers say in press conferences and interviews is largely meaningless.

Ralph1386

It’s so refreshing to finally have a coach who can talk about tactics and knows what he’s doing. It’s also refreshing to see how, especially in the first half today, our players knew their roles and what they had to do.

macheda14

Carl Anka the only one of the Athletic lot with sense. They booted him off the podcast because he wasn’t cheerleading the previous charlatan.
Is that why he was booted off? I’ve always wondered why he left.
I think it could also be to do with Ronaldo. Carl was tweeting a lot about Ronaldo’s rape case during the transfer saga and still seemed to double down on it after he was signed. Rather than wilfully ignore it like the other hosts.

BluesJr

Is that why he was booted off? I’ve always wondered why he left.
I think it could also be to do with Ronaldo. Carl was tweeting a lot about Ronaldo’s rape case during the transfer saga and still seemed to double down on it after he was signed. Rather than wilfully ignore it like the other hosts.
I’m really not sure tbh it could be a number of things but it does seem weird. They don’t acknowledge it either which is also strange. Like he was there every week and now he’s not.

I like that podcast but Andy and Laurie were far too accepting of Ole which just fecked me off. Have standards.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It's one of those things, Clough, Fergie, Ancelotti, Zidane etc. don't talk about tactics publicly and also regurgitate this "it's about winning your battles" and "passion" stuff... it's well known that SAF rarely went into depth tactically during team talks etc.

The evidence that Solskjaer wasn't up to it tactically is the results on the pitch. Plenty of managers talk a lot about tactics and are horrible at implementing them and plenty act like they don't exist but are clearly tactically astute.

That work is done on the training pitch and in the analysis room and it shows on the pitch. What managers say in press conferences and interviews is largely meaningless.
You simply need both - a clear tactic, and the passion to implement it. I think there might be a lot of managers who for example have quite clear tactical ideas and are able to communicate them to their team, but then go on about passion etc to make sure their tactics are implemented well. I believe SAF was such a case - never the most complicated tactics, but always knew which shape he wanted from his team and the rest was man managing.

I always felt that Solsjaer tried to emulate this, while not realising that SAF had tactical awareness and just used that as the pure base to build his mentally strong team on.

Atheist

To be fair, if you were critical of Ole, like Jonathan Wilson, the United fan base would troll you pretty badly (and they did in Wilson’s case). I think that might have played a part in some of the pundits being rosy about the previous manager.

Reactions: Cheimoon

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
and plenty act like they don't exist but are clearly tactically astute.
Clough and Bobby Robson fit well on that description. Even if regarding Clough there's always those comments questioning if it wasn't Peter Taylor the real tatical brain of that Forest team.

Sviken

You simply need both - a clear tactic, and the passion to implement it. I think there might be a lot of managers who for example have quite clear tactical ideas and are able to communicate them to their team, but then go on about passion etc to make sure their tactics are implemented well. I believe SAF was such a case - never the most complicated tactics, but always knew which shape he wanted from his team and the rest was man managing.
I wish this nonsense would stop getting repeated. SAF had a very clear idea of how the team should play and he found massive success at every club he went, and the notion that he was just a pashun merchant is getting extremely annoying.

The United

I wish this nonsense would stop getting repeated. SAF had a very clear idea of how the team should play and he found massive success at every club he went, and the notion that he was just a pashun merchant is getting extremely annoying.
The greatest British manager ever didn't have or understand complicated tactical ideas, apparently.

And, how many of all those 'football professors' have won?

Giggsyking

It's his six monthes up yet?

Really hope he has more to offer than just getting the players to run about more as Moyes did that
Wow, after one day in training? Yet, the state of you giving excuses for Ole after 3 years is astonishing.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Were do you see nonsense in my post? My post is literally about him having clear tactical ideas

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
To be fair I don't think the poster was saying SAF didn't had tatical knowledge or understanding. No one makes Aberdeen win against Rangers or Celtic and beat Real Madrid on a Cup Winners Cup Final being a 4x4x2 Mike Basset football entertainer.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You clearly haven't followed Carl Anka for that long to make sweeping statements like that. He changes his tune more often than the wind changes direction and was a big advocate of Ole post Mourinho, a big advocate of Mourinho post Van Gaal, etc etc. It's no surprise he'd be a fan of Rangnick post Ole. He is captain hindsight and talks like he always had an x view when he never did.

I was very shocked when he had a post with Athletic as a United correspondent after his Southampton stint. But it doesn't surprise me things have somewhat normalised in a reduced role for him. He adds next to no value.

Sviken

Were do you see nonsense in my post? My post is literally about him having clear tactical ideas
I think you were quite clearly implying that SAF didn't have much tactical acumen (oh well, he told them the shape and let the lads have their fun on the pitch basically) but had great man management (a common cliched criticism towards the man) which is absolutely not true. He had both. I don't know why this keeps getting repeated.

BluesJr

You clearly haven't followed Carl Anka for that long to make sweeping statements like that. He changes his tune more often than the wind changes direction and was a big advocate of Ole post Mourinho, a big advocate of Mourinho post Van Gaal, etc etc. It's no surprise he'd be a fan of Rangnick post Ole. He is captain hindsight and talks like he always had an x view when he never did.

I was very shocked when he had a post with Athletic as a United correspondent after his Southampton stint. But it doesn't surprise me things have somewhat normalised in a reduced role for him. He adds next to no value.
He was the only one who was right about Ole being a charlatan. Haven’t even heard his opinion on Ralf because they have him held hostage.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I think you were quite clearly implying that SAF didn't have much tactical acumen (oh well, he told them the shape and let the lads have their fun on the pitch basically) but had great man management (a common cliched criticism towards the man) which is absolutely not true. He had both. I don't know why this keeps getting repeated.
You won't be able to convince me that SAF was a visionary tactician. Overall he was the full package and as a manager might well be the greatest ever. But did he influence football tactics overall? Did he have any significant lasting imprint on how the game is played at the highest level? I don't think so. He understood what worked and used it, and had the desire to learn how other teams were successful.

That's still far away from calling him tactically clueless like I would do with Solskjaer. SAF knew everything he needed to setup a team and was absolutely great at letting his teams executing it, and I think that in the eyes of many this aspect far overshadowed his actual tactical planning (this is were I agree with you, it created a myth that doesn't do him justice). I just think that Solskjaer might have been a victim of exactly that myth has he believed it himself.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The first 30 minutes I felt like a 1400s peasant who'd been given a Dorito.

Sviken

You won't be able to convince me that SAF was a visionary tactician. Overall he was the full package and as a manager might well be the greatest ever. But did he influence football tactics overall? Did he have any significant lasting imprint on how the game is played at the highest level? I don't think so. He understood what worked and used it, and had the desire to learn how other teams were successful.
Much of the PL was influenced SAF's brand of football until recently. Up until 2010 the league's top sides utilized was basically a 4-4-2, high winger, high tempo intensive football with high pressing. Obviously if we're talking about a "visionary tactician", what type of a manager do you classify as such? Michels, Herrera and possibly Cruyff are the only ones who fit that definition, imo. But I'd easily place SAF in the same bracket as Guardiola and Klopp when it comes to tacticians. Even a little bit higher since SAF knew when he needed to adapt while Guardiola and partly Klopp are shown to be extremely rigid in their approach to the game.

cyberman

That's still far away from calling him tactically clueless like I would do with Solskjaer. SAF knew everything he needed to setup a team and was absolutely great at letting his teams executing it, and I think that in the eyes of many this aspect far overshadowed his actual tactical planning (this is were I agree with you, it created a myth that doesn't do him justice). I just think that Solskjaer might have been a victim of exactly that myth has he believed it himself.
His 08 team is basically the prototype for elite football today

hungrywing

The staff was fecking shit.
But at the same time, that particular bit is like, burger-flipping levels of simplicity for anyone who's ostensibly a football coach.

If any of us walked into any burger joint in the world looking to work for a day, and the owner asked 'Can you use python to analyze and optimize our production workflow and completion time for the thirty-six products we sell and the 36! possible unique product combinations oh and also the employee schedules across the eight franchises I own?' and then immediately following that asked, 'Alternatively, can you use this spatula to flip that burger patty?'

It's (somewhat) understandable if McKenna/Carrick/Ole couldn't do the former. But to say 'no' to the second question?

Personally I think Carrick/McKenna could have easily fixed some things but that the whole 'go out there and enjoy yourselves' thing really was a huge factor. It's really difficult to imagine they couldn't have fixed spacing/shape issues were they allowed.

BluesJr

His 08 team is basically the prototype for elite football today
That team was destroyed a year later by Barca. We have never played with the possession and organisation Pep has implemented.

Status
Not open for further replies.