Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexthelion

Well both but it's much more on Ole.

He's the reason VdB, Bailly, Martial, Lingard, Henderson, Mata, Slabhead and AWB are here stinking up the place, in terms of attitude and mood.
Or was it because the higher ups either coudn't or wouldn't sell them?

We've seen in the past they've set a price and if it's not met then no sale.

redcafe_reader

He has no right to demand anything off his teammates when he's doing nothing himself. The odd goal here and there (same for Rashford last two seasons) does not excuse his very poor play.

Reputation doesn't matter, why should younger players do what he says when he's not doing it himself?
Because there is nothing wrong with demanding teammate to play better. That's how you build a winning team, everyone demand everyone to be better. Or do you mean that if you play in the same team with prime Messi you can't never ask him to do better? or do you mean that Giggs, Scholes etc can't demand the like of Rooney to play better? Honestly it's not that hard to understand.

Was it Ole or was it the signing of Ronaldo that has caused this chaos?

Team spirit seems to have been ok for the last two seasons and this before the signing.
Maybe people's personality changes? You know, like in real life. Rashford used to be a very hard worker and he stopped being so for like a year, before Ronaldo.

Or maybe someone want a new contract but doesn't get one and try to cause havoc? Or maybe fringe players fed up with promise not being keep?

Or maybe it's the coming back of Lingard?

If we want to blame Ronaldo for our drop of form in the EPL, should we praise him for our improvement of form in the CL? That's exactly the same logic.

We haven't won any single thing for last 4 years (while still paying world class salary) and some fan want to put all blame on the guy who's there for half a season...

non profit football

Supports
Chelsea
This was one of the weirdest things in recent times.

Ralf in the last ten years worked essentially in sports management positions, he was lost in any club in Russia, the only thing that is recognized is that he belonged to the Redbull group.

You have problems in the structure of the club and an unbalanced squad and with many divas, these types of players look sideways to a stranger and even less if they change everything as they knew it.

It has everything to go wrong.

Or they bet for someone with Premier experience or for a Zidane who at least earns respect.

I look at Ralph and see a completely lost guy.

What was the reason?
To think he's the spiritual guru of modern football who happened to be lost in Russia?

Bondi77

Rest Maguire? The guy should be dropped, then sold. Worst captain ever.
Being realistic, that is not going to happen and we will end up waiting for him to show the form that earned him a move to a big club.

hobbers

Or was it because the higher ups either coudn't or wouldn't sell them?

We've seen in the past they've set a price and if it's not met then no sale.
We know Ole made a load of promises he had no intentions of keeping to half a dozen players.

He was put there to keep the big egos like Pogba and the ones who didn't want to work like Martial happy. He let them all walk all over him for 3 years and that's why they're reacting so badly to Rangnick.

Ash_G

Next few games they are going to absolutely throw Ralf and his coaches under the bus. I feel sorry for him.
It's an interesting one really as I think the general sentiment is that if RR has issues as well then it's probably the players rather than the manager.

There's some pieces I've been disappointed in RR over, namely it doesn't seem to me that he's really acknowledged the weaknesses in the team in how he's been trying to play but I also appreciate it is early days and the COVID breakout in the squad can't have helped.

However whilst it's a gamble if senior staff at the club are willing to allow RR to work with the team for 6 months and assess who he thinks has the right mentality/ability to be an asset to the club and who doesn't and we stick with that (e.g. tell the new manager that X players are being moved on) then it might not be a bad thing. We can't keep going in cycles of new managers coming in and re-assessing every player themselves as I think it means we'll just push the problem down the road again. I for one would be quite frustrated if RR leaves in the summer, Poch comes in and then spends next 18 months figuring out who is up to scratch and who isn't only to conclude we need to revamp the team!

If it's made clear to the players that RR has that backing then I think we'll either see some players change their tune and those that double down we know are the ones to move on. Clearly we don't know all the facts but if we can't get players to run/press etc then that says a lot about the players. There are players who have accomplished a lot more than them who work hard/press.

Matt851

Because there is nothing wrong with demanding teammate to play better. That's how you build a winning team, everyone demand everyone to be better. Or do you mean that if you play in the same team with prime Messi you can't never ask him to do better? or do you mean that Giggs, Scholes etc can't demand the like of Rooney to play better? Honestly it's not that hard to understand.

Maybe people's personality changes? You know, like in real life. Rashford used to be a very hard worker and he stopped being so for like a year, before Ronaldo.

Or maybe someone want a new contract but doesn't get one and try to cause havoc? Or maybe fringe players fed up with promise not being keep?

Or maybe it's the coming back of Lingard?

If we want to blame Ronaldo for our drop of form in the EPL, should we praise him for our improvement of form in the CL? That's exactly the same logic.

We haven't won any single thing for last 4 years (while still paying world class salary) and some fan want to put all blame on the guy who's there for half a season...
We have played terribly in the CL, sure we have scored some late goals which meant we qualified top but the performances have been no better than the league

Matt851

“3 at the back”
I think he will use the more controlled 3412 formation for villa. Bruno will be the attacking mid with ronaldo and greenwood up top. Shaw and dalot as wingbacks.
If this his answer to our issues then I will be quite depressed. Another formation which relies on high quality attacking wing backs and features a top up top, meaning no room for attacking wide players.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I love how the media is portraying Sir Alex's modern team (2007-12) as lacking of pressing. Never mind the fact that all the players worked their arses off for him aside from a few oddities like Berbatov. Evra running back and forth for 90 mins was a weekly occurrence, Carrick shielding the back 4 constantly and rarely got caught off position, Fletcher ran like a maniac even when he had just recovered from his stomach illness, Rooney was basically a box to box striker, Nani constantly trying to beat his man. He also played Park against most big teams, he chased everyone and their mothers on the pitch trying to win the ball back. In those games it's his sole duty. How is that lacking of pressing? the reason why we didn't beat Barca in CL final was simple, it's their time, they were the best team on the planet at that time. Not because Sir Alex's team didn't press. What a load of shite. Try to press peak Messi, Iniesta and Xavi all at the same time. You'd just be pressing winds.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I love how the media is portraying Sir Alex's modern team (2007-12) as lacking of pressing. Never mind the fact that all the players worked their arses off for him aside from a few oddities like Berbatov. Evra running back and forth for 90 mins was a weekly occurrence, Carrick shielding the back 4 constantly and rarely got caught off position, Fletcher ran like a maniac even when he had just recovered from his stomach illness, Rooney was basically a box to box striker, Nani constantly trying to beat his man and not passing back like an idiot. He also played Park against most big teams, he chased everyone and their mothers on the pitch trying to win the ball back. In those games it's his sole duty. How is that lacking of pressing? the reason why we didn't beat Barca in CL final was simple, it's their time, they were the best team on the planet at that time. Not because Sir Alex's team didn't press. What a load of shite.
Are they really saying that? Mental. It's like they think running was a tactic invented in 2014. :lol:

macheda14

I love how the media is portraying Sir Alex's modern team (2007-12) as lacking of pressing. Never mind the fact that all the players worked their arses off for him aside from a few oddities like Berbatov. Evra running back and forth for 90 mins was a weekly occurrence, Carrick shielding the back 4 constantly and rarely got caught off position, Fletcher ran like a maniac even when he had just recovered from his stomach illness, Rooney was basically a box to box striker, Nani constantly trying to beat his man. He also played Park against most big teams, he chased everyone and their mothers on the pitch trying to win the ball back. In those games it's his sole duty. How is that lacking of pressing? the reason why we didn't beat Barca in CL final was simple, it's their time, they were the best team on the planet at that time. Not because Sir Alex's team didn't press. What a load of shite.
I mean a lot of Engish football was defined by high energy matches with teams running back and forth and to a degree pressing constantly unless they were of the type that sat back and tried to hit you on the counter. Arsenal pressed, we pressed etc. I mean Rangnick has spoken about how growing up watching English football influenced his pressing style. However, it wasn't really in an organised manner that we talk about nowadays, if you put our 2008 team up against the current City they would pass through our press quit easily. Just as Barcelona did to us in 09 and 2011.

It's why Ole was quite archaic in his approach. He just tried to utilise exactly how he was taught to play under Ferguson. Well, at least in the beginning, he spoke about how we should always outrun the other side, have more sprints etc. And back then just being more intense was enough.

JB7

I love how the media is portraying Sir Alex's modern team (2007-12) as lacking of pressing. Never mind the fact that all the players worked their arses off for him aside from a few oddities like Berbatov. Evra running back and forth for 90 mins was a weekly occurrence, Carrick shielding the back 4 constantly and rarely got caught off position, Fletcher ran like a maniac even when he had just recovered from his stomach illness, Rooney was basically a box to box striker, Nani constantly trying to beat his man. He also played Park against most big teams, he chased everyone and their mothers on the pitch trying to win the ball back. In those games it's his sole duty. How is that lacking of pressing? the reason why we didn't beat Barca in CL final was simple, it's their time, they were the best team on the planet at that time. Not because Sir Alex's team didn't press. What a load of shite. Try to press peak Messi, Iniesta and Xavi all at the same time. You'd just be pressing winds.
Pep invented it. Didn't you know?

Gordon Godot

I mean a lot of Engish football was defined by high energy matches with teams running back and forth and to a degree pressing constantly unless they were of the type that sat back and tried to hit you on the counter. Arsenal pressed, we pressed etc. I mean Rangnick has spoken about how growing up watching English football influenced his pressing style. However, it wasn't really in an organised manner that we talk about nowadays, if you put our 2008 team up against the current City they would pass through our press quit easily. Just as Barcelona did to us in 09 and 2011.

It's why Ole was quite archaic in his approach. He just tried to utilise exactly how he was taught to play under Ferguson. Well, at least in the beginning, he spoke about how we should always outrun the other side, have more sprints etc. And back then just being more intense was enough.
The peak Fergie teams used to camp in the opponents half, cosntantly winning the ball back. I remember Fergie saying the signing of Stam with his pace was crucial to this, allowing us to deal with opponent counters. A bit like VVD for Liverpool. But yes now its far, far more organised in every element of the game. Ole had no high level tactical understanding, part of the reason he often sat passively and failed to intervene, as in the Europa final. Just another reason he should never have got the job. But when you are dealign with an idiot like Woodward with zero football knowledge, its easy to impress.

Abraxas

I think RR is a bit lost at the moment. The way he is fiddling with the structure of the team, the personnel, the complete lack of response from the players has to be at least a bit of a surprise to him. Each performance is that bad that you don't really know what you can rely upon in the next game. That must make it very difficult as a manager.

Seems like he's searching at the moment. Which isn't that bad in itself, but he doesn't have that much time. We need to be winning league games.

Drizzle

I think RR is a bit lost at the moment. The way he is fiddling with the structure of the team, the personnel, the complete lack of response from the players has to be at least a bit of a surprise to him. Each performance is that bad that you don't really know what you can rely upon in the next game. That must make it very difficult as a manager.

Seems like he's searching at the moment. Which isn't that bad in itself, but he doesn't have that much time. We need to be winning league games.
That's my take too. He assumed that a squad of mostly high quality players would mostly respond positively to a more structured tactical system, and was no doubt taken aback by the lack of appetite, morale and fitness they've displayed.

If he'd asked us lot we'd have clued him in. Our squad is severely lacking in grit and intelligence. I honestly think many of them have genuinely forgotten what it's like to come off the pitch having given absolutely everything, the full 100%. They've busked it at 90-95% for so long they don't have that final gear any more.

In the meantime, he's fannying about with the tactics, but his words are very clear - we need intensity. Intensity, intensity, intensity. Without that, nothing will work.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Tonight is, imo, the first 'excuse-free' test of RR's coaching. He's had a full week, at least 4-5 full training sessions with a first XI. And in fairness, it'll be the first time he's had that due to covid etc.

If we don't see any improvement, then I'll be worried. But there are a lot of mitigating circumstances up til now.

I'm not even hugely fussed about the result - it's all down to the coherence of the performance.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Tonight is, imo, the first 'excuse-free' test of RR's coaching. He's had a full week, at least 4-5 full training sessions with a first XI. And in fairness, it'll be the first time he's had that due to covid etc.

If we don't see any improvement, then I'll be worried. But there are a lot of mitigating circumstances up til now.

I'm not even hugely fussed about the result - it's all down to the coherence of the performance.
So you are willing to give only one full week ?

mctrials23

I think his point is that if RR can get anything into the heads of these smooth brained idiots we call our players then we should see some hint of it tonight.

If its the same old crap then the likelihood of RR getting anything positive from the next 6 months is slim.

If we consider the fact that RR doesn't want us to play remotely similarly to how Ole had us playing then any move towards his chosen style should be apparent. The fact that since hist first game in charge we haven't really seen any of that suggests to me that the players are just ignoring him.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Just to see some improvement, some sense of definable tactics etc then yes, I think 4/5 days of hard training should be enough for a coach of his supposed skill.

I'm all onboard with RR for the rest of the season, but I do think judging him on the past month is really harsh given how disrupted it's been.

Greck

to what end is he being tested? There are no prizes for best interim stint, for permanent manager? What's the rush to impose expectations? after only a measly 5 training sessions. Thing is Rangnick can probably even get results by going back to the low block direct counterattack the players are used to but that's now what we want. Right now he needs to spend the next 6 months drilling them on possession and pressing principles so the permanent manager isn't starting from scratch.

I wouldn't call it a positive but it's kind of a silver lining we're not having the permanent having his first few weeks tainted by the current hopeless situation in the dressing room.

romufc

Yep, I know people say oh you cannot judge someone in short space. With all the constraints, he has had about 6/7 weeks now.

Last 2 weeks have been training with 1 game a week, excuses will be running thin if our performance is crap.

I mean surely if you are a top coach and the previous one was labelled "PE teacher", surely the new one should be able to get some sort of pattern of play, intensity in the team.

mctrials23

to what end is he being tested? There are no prizes for best interim stint, for permanent manager? What's the rush to impose expectations? after only a measly 5 training sessions. Thing is Rangnick can probably even get results by going back to the low block direct counterattack the players are used to but that's now what we want. Right now he needs to spend the next 6 months drilling them on possession and pressing principles so the permanent manager isn't starting from scratch.

I wouldn't call it a positive but it's kind of a silver lining we're not having the permanent having his first few weeks tainted by the current hopeless situation in the dressing room.
Its because after the amount of time he will have had with the team, he should have changed something noticeable. I don't think people are blaming him (well most of us). The point still stands that currently the players don't seem to be doing anything we would expect them to and RR is clearly not happy with it. I would assume that the players are doing what they consistently do when the going is tough. Hiding.

To make an analogy. If you tried to teach me how to play golf you would expect my swing and game to change even if it resulted in a worse outcome for a short time while I adjusted from something that kind of works OK to a new style that will pay off long term. If after a month and a half of coaching, my swing looked as shit as ever and I had the same glaring issues as always then either the coach has somehow taught me nothing or I am refusing to take any of it on board and learn. In either case, another 5 months probably wouldn't change that.

bond19821982

Just to see some improvement, some sense of definable tactics etc then yes, I think 4/5 days of hard training should be enough for a coach of his supposed skill.

I'm all onboard with RR for the rest of the season, but I do think judging him on the past month is really harsh given how disrupted it's been.
Disagree. One week is nothing to teach a group who is allergic to pressing. They have not been used to this for years now. Even a preseason takes 3 weeks , that's 3 continuous weeks with no focus on games. I don't expect anything to get better before Feb.

People keep saying Klopp had Liverpool pressing in a week. But the pressing tactics were already implemented by Rodgers before Klopp took over. If RR has taken over Chelsea or Liverpool, they would be performing much better now, because it's so easy to buy in to the tactics.

Greck

Its because after the amount of time he will have had with the team, he should have changed something noticeable. I don't think people are blaming him (well most of us). The point still stands that currently the players don't seem to be doing anything we would expect them to and RR is clearly not happy with it. I would assume that the players are doing what they consistently do when the going is tough. Hiding.

To make an analogy. If you tried to teach me how to play golf you would expect my swing and game to change even if it resulted in a worse outcome for a short time while I adjusted from something that kind of works OK to a new style that will pay off long term. If after a month and a half of coaching, my swing looked as shit as ever and I had the same glaring issues as always then either the coach has somehow taught me nothing or I am refusing to take any of it on board and learn. In either case, another 5 months probably wouldn't change that.
To use your analogy it would be like doing everything you said except in the middle of the pga tour. Also if you're looking for loose instances of pressing and passing exchanges it's already there, albeit in its crudest form. They are trying, we saw pressing in the first game and we saw attempts at passing patterns that didnt come off. To further use your analogy that's as good an improvement as you can expect to get on your swing after only a couple sessions. It's also as much the student's aptitude for the activity as it is the teacher's quality. Way too simple to boil it down to linear incremental improvements after each session.

Foxbatt

I think the players are throwing the manager under the bus. We pressed in the game against CP and then stopped. RR says pressing is the only way and then why are we not making an attempt to press? Even against Wolves our defence was not moving up into the centre line like against CP to make the pitch smaller. They were just waiting outside our own box. There was a huge gap between our defence and our attackers.

Sviken

And for how long does it take our players to be able to press?
Surely shouldn't take long considering they did precisely what Ralf talked about in the CP game. Okay, they obviously won't have the cardio to do it at the same intensity for too long, but gradually it should build up. But rather what has happened is that we haven't seen anythng resembling that performance since that game. In my mind, this would suggest that the players simply can't be assed. Frankly, it will take a long time to fix this. Ole simply allowed them too many freedoms which are now needed to be taken away. Players need to start fearing their manager, but again - this would require a complete change in mentality that isn't going to come easy and given that Ralf is here only for a few months as a manager, I have doubt as to the extent they'll ever do.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Who knows what's going on in conversations at Carrington.

The players might be fully behind Ragnick and are genuinely trying. Large sections of the squad may also have taken wrongly to a authoritarian style of leadership knowing that its a temporary appointment (Despite Ragnick hinting that he'd take the job full time if offered). A player like Luke Shaw who have been very open about prefering a warm embrace rather than being scapegoated may recall that Ragnick not too long ago went public and said that Shaw was not good enough for Manchester United, something he's probably not too fond of considering what Jose did.

It takes a day to make a first impression. I hope that Ragnick made one that the squad appreciates, if not it's going to be rough sailing to get any type of unity going here.

Foxbatt

Ole lost his job because they couldn't be arsed and now they are trying the same stunt on RR. He needs to be brutal and get rid of anyone who tries to be disruptive. Not only is Maguire playing terrible but he has no leadership quality at all. What on earth made Ole give him the captaincy? When Rashford called him a flecking knobhead he just accepted it. He should have decked him.

wormdoktor

Lot of talk on here about the players not being arsed with pressing as the reason we've not seen much high intensity play. But RR's talking about getting down to 0.6 goals conceded per game (that was from more than 2 before he arrived, if I recall correctly), so couldn't it be the case that he's been coaching defence first? Stabilise the team, stop conceding so easily, and then build on attacking concepts? This would explain why we've been essentially playing a low block.

OneUnited24

So far, not quite working is it? Every game is a struggle.
The longer he persists with having a two in midfield vs a three we will always look poor. McFred masks a lot for the team (lazy front men who dont get back enough) but they are so poor on the ball. Hence whenever they win it back they dont know what to do with it/are outnumbered.

bond19821982

The longer he persists with having a two in midfield vs a three we will always look poor. McFred masks a lot for the team (lazy front men who dont get back enough) but they are so poor on the ball. Hence whenever they win it back they dont know what to do with it/are outnumbered.
It has nothing to do with the formation. Let's stop gifting them balls . They just can't feck simple passes up and say the formation has been bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.