Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I think I have seen enough of Robertston and AWB to conclude that AWB is no where near Robertson's level. In every aspect of his game.

We can blame others but, bad positioning cannot be blamed on other players, passing to opponents cannot be blamed on others.
The question we don't know the answer to is whether this is due to actual lack of ability, or whether this is due to insecurities caused by lack of coaching, of a plan.

Not saying that AWB is performing well, just questioning how much potential there is. I am sure a good coach can improve him, I'm just not sure how much.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Bild report that we have promised Rangnick to pay him 10m€ if he can convince Haaland to join us in the summer. :lol:
Damn... when he started his consulting business he said something along the lines of wanting to be for the clubs what agents are for players...

Didn't realize he meant being provision grabbing leeches :lol:

klsv

I think people overestimate the task he has in hand.

The players aren't bad , in fact, the only reason we've been able to do well enough to finish 2nd and 3rd under Ole or go far in the europa league is based almost solely on the individual brilliance that some of our players have shown in the past three years. We are even better in terms of talent than those years at the moment, despite the team constantly struggling to win the ball back due to an uncoordinated press and an inability to build up quickly ( which teams with far less talent are able to do). For me, those are very much coaching elements, rather than the collective failure of individuals.

Chelsea are currently topping the league despite missing Lukaku and playing more inexperienced players like Hudson- Odoi or Chalobah. In fact, they haven't even had a striker for most of the season, yet they're able to churn out good consistent performances. Liverpool don't have a perfect team, they've usually had average partners next to Van Dijk and their midfield isn't necessarily perfect, but even when their squad wasn't as complete, when they had Milner and Henderson or Oxlade Chamberlain in there, that didn't stop them from looking dominant. Same goes for us under Sir Alex. Our fans should be optimistic.
Agree with this. A lot of people said that our squad should be good enough to challenge, and wanted Ole gone because we fell short, while parking the bus and playing two in the middle against weaker sides. Now Rangnick wants the same players to actually attack, press and work harder and suddenly the players are all lazy, can't pass, can't press, don't have the technical ability and are not fit enough. Sure it will take some time and we won't be the prime scouse against Palace but if the players can't cope with the new style, then we will have a lot of rebuilding to do. They'll be fine.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
So if Ralf is at OT, can he have a say on the team set up?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The thing I'm scared of is starting to happen;

Red bull salzburg and Leipzig players are starting to get transfers hints all over the place to United like we are the third Red Bull club.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Thanks for that. It does also say how good he is in a game and reliable. AWB is not really reliable in the game.

How often have you seen Robertson's lack of defensive ability lead to a goal / chance.

AWB is almost every game. I have also seen AWB have easy options to pass and he completely messes the pass. He has no technical ability.
I don’t think its fair to say he has none. I’ve seen him dribble his way out of a 3 man press. It’s just inconsistent. Not sure if RR will have time for working on inconsistencies

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I don’t think its fair to say he has none. I’ve seen him dribble his way out of a 3 man press. It’s just inconsistent. Not sure if RR will have time for working on inconsistencies
I'm quite excited for Wan Bissaka under RR, partly because I enjoy the player a bit more than others. Not to say he will succeed- but things like positioning, positioning related to team mates, when to press, when to pass etc and so much more has not really been taught to him.

We all complained about Ole, but ultimately that's the only coach wan bissaka had at United.

Laurencio

Red bull salzburg and Leipzig players are starting to get transfers hints all over the place to United like we are the third Red Bull club.
I wouldn't take it too seriously. It's mostly lazy journalism. I don't think Ralf himself has a clear picture of who he needs to sign as of yet, so I highly doubt any journalist have an inside scoop.

SamVimes

All these links to players are just journalists trying to be ahead of the curve. Unless he has actually rang any of them up and said he is recommending signing a player then it is, to be kind, "inaccurate" reporting. He has to asses the squad, talk to the coaches as well as Murtagh and Fletcher, to get a sense of what is required. The same thing happened when LVG joined and we were linked with every Dutch player. The Werner story is just nonsense.

Reactions: Damien

Teja

I wouldn't take it too seriously. It's mostly lazy journalism. I don't think Ralf himself has a clear picture of who he needs to sign as of yet, so I highly doubt any journalist have an inside scoop.
Yeah it's pretty much the default with us. With LvG it was a bunch of dutch players, Ole it was Josh King etc.

Easy clicks.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Yeah it's pretty much the default with us. With LvG it was a bunch of dutch players, Ole it was Josh King etc.

Easy clicks.
King himself confirmed that was real. Called it one of the worst moments of his career when the move was blocked.

Teja

King himself confirmed that was real. Called it one of the worst moments of his career when the move was blocked.
Oh wow I thought it was BS. I expect it was for a backup striker role like Ighalo but still.

ICHM

He has failure written all over him, another LVG. I just can't see him and the players getting on and them following his instructions.

peridigm

Never fails anytime a new manager is appointed to a new club he will be linked with former players or fellow countrymen. Let's just hope Ralf does not bring in his Fellaini or Matic.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
All these links to players are just journalists trying to be ahead of the curve. Unless he has actually rang any of them up and said he is recommending signing a player then it is, to be kind, "inaccurate" reporting. He has to asses the squad, talk to the coaches as well as Murtagh and Fletcher, to get a sense of what is required. The same thing happened when LVG joined and we were linked with every Dutch player. The Werner story is just nonsense.
Yeah, you're spot on.

RedCurry

Goal down in the first few mins is irrelevant to the discussion, it can happen to great managers too, so put it aside. It was a bit of a lucky chance with how the ball bounced if I remember correctly.

CB bombing forward is the exception and teams use that to cause chaos. By that logic, Maguire running forward against a set defense is some sort of tactical failing by the opposing team, it's just not.

We should focus on standard situations. What happened on goal kicks, what happened on transitions to defense and what happened on build ups.

Build ups: During Ole, we tried quite a bit to build out from the back leading to situations like Maguire getting caught on the ball, Pool targeting Shaw last year to force turnovers etc. We went direct quite quickly which is basically Ragnick ball.

Goal kicks: We were extremely high up 6-7 people in their half

Offense -> Defense: We pressed like a reasonably competent team. Against City / Pool, they always made an extra man and it looked as if the whole team was half a step behind the opposition. Left wide open spaces (sp on the LW / our RB) to counter attack as well when we pressed. You could see some evidence of players angling their runs, trying to use cover shadows etc. but it's far cry from what a good pressing team can do.

Team selections: Ronaldo dropped, 4-4-2 Diamond with Bruno as false 9 which we haven't played in ages. AFAIK we played that only once or twice before in 2019.
All those things are different than when we were under Ole because we don’t have Ole as manager. These could just be Carrick’s ideas of getting us the points we needed until the new manager comes in.

The situation with Rudiger I spoke about occurred not because they were trying to cause chaos. It happened because there was almost no pressure on their CBs from our forwards for the entire game. We were parked deep in our own half while maintaining our shape and keeping compact. Throughout the 90 mins any of their defenders would walk with the ball to centre circle with absolutely no risk because we never left our half.

Our fans are just surprised that we had SOME tactics but that’s normal and our tactics on the weekend resembled somewhat of relegation battlers playing against title contenders. Because on form, that’s exactly what it was. These weren’t genius tactics, they are what coaches probably learn in football coaching 101. Carrick worked under Jose and I wouldn’t be surprised if he used Jose’s tactical playbook to set us up for this game.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I agree actually. Even the AWB at Palace was a lot better than our version. He's just regressed through lack of coaching and tactical direction. I personally think that he will flourish under Rangnick.
Our system before gave license to express and free flowing, which is clearly not AWB strength, I'm interested to see how he is under more clear instructions. Think it could really help him.
Thanks for that. It does also say how good he is in a game and reliable. AWB is not really reliable in the game.

How often have you seen Robertson's lack of defensive ability lead to a goal / chance.

AWB is almost every game. I have also seen AWB have easy options to pass and he completely messes the pass. He has no technical ability.
Yeah, but my main point of objection was that the players you mentioned are too technically limited to how we want to play. I think it's more a case of being technically limited to how Ole wanted to play, the newer system should be far better at creating overloads and space that they can easily pass into.

The example of Robertson was merely pointing out how someone by his own team mates admission, is pretty poor technically, yet is extremely effective in a system set up to not expose him.

I think both the players you mention could vastly improve by our potential new style, because of the more structured nature.

L1nk

It's pretty lazy just because Rangnick has a history with Haaland, he's more likely to go for a cheaper more unknown quantity, if you're stretching it, i'd say more likely to go for Dusan Vlahovic as a cheaper alternative... we'll see though, maybe he'll change his ways now he's at United with more money, though RB had a vast amount of resources to

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Feels like we're going for the old version of the new breed of managers. Buying a solid 2010 car when other teams have top of the line motors.

"X and X learned from him. He must be good!"

Why is he in Russia then? He'll be better than Solskjaer, not a big achievement but it's uninspired.

Whatever happens, I hope he's a bastard to the squad. I'll be happy with that. They've had it too easy for too long. Run 'em until they hate you, Ralf.

Judas

Open to offers
Feels like we're going for the old version of the new breed of managers. Buying a solid 2010 car when other teams have top of the line motors.

Why is he in Russia then? He'll be better than Solskjaer, not a big achievement but it's uninspired.

Whatever happens, I hope he's a bastard to the squad. I'll be happy with that. They've had it too easy for too long. Run 'em until they hate you, Ralf.
I think it couldn't be more inspired for an interim? It's got long term thinking behind it. If he was getting a 4 year deal I'd get your first paragraph, but he's not? He's not here long term as a manager, the person who comes in will be of the new breed that I'm fairly confident of.

Or maybe this whole post is satire and it's gone right over my head.

Idxomer

He's an interim manager, he's preparing us in these six months for the new breed of managers because they aren't available at this time.

It's better than getting someone like Valverde or Blanc.

bosskeano

Ralf needs to sort out the midfield, RB and CB positions before we look to deal with the #9 position

Hoof the ball

Although he can't "work" yet, I'd be highly surprised if he wasn't directing Carrick and McKenna privately in how to proceed in training or match preparation. Although he can't be at the training field, there's nothing to stop him making phone calls to the coaching team and getting his concepts across nice and early.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.

Would you take a name change to Red Bulls Manchester Red Devils for back-to-back PL's Contract for name change lasts 20yrs.

Teja

It's for six months, chill a bit. Noone's going to leave their clubs and take over mid season.

If you're not pleased with the appointment in the summer, you can get your pitchforks out again.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Although he can't "work" yet, I'd be highly surprised if he wasn't directing Carrick and McKenna privately in how to proceed in training or match preparation. Although he can't be at the training field, there's nothing to stop him making phone calls to the coaching team and getting his concepts across nice and early.
We have technology. He could easily be watching training and doing virtually everything he'd be doing if he was physically there.

Hughie77

Souness has slated the appointment on talksh*te, along with Simon Jordan as always.

He also said "Jonny Evans is better than any centre half they have" it beggars belief :lol:
Yep heard the old git, and the plastic one. Jonny Evans was OK for us and I liked him, but if he's better than Varane, Maguire ,Souness is deluded, I know he's a jealous guy and always has been where Utd concerned, it must be his teeth are playing him up, Same dentist as klopp, firmino.
Rangnick has coached and helped klopp and klopp has bought off the top of my head at least 4 or more players that have gone through Rangnick. So what Souness is on about only he knows. Dinosaur

Roboc7

I have feeling he’ll flop and that will then undermine him staying on for two years. Implementing how he wants the team to play will take a lot of time which he simply doesn’t have.

In terms of coaching and management it’s one extreme to the other, Ole’s cliches to gegenpress. We’ve wasted three years on a stupid and very basic plan overseen by a manager nowhere near good enough. Real shame we’re only bringing Rangknick in now and not few years ago and it’s happened mid season.

fallengt

RR's not just a head coach . He had built 2 clubs from nothing in Germany then got burnt out and went else where.

tjb

Goal down in the first few mins is irrelevant to the discussion, it can happen to great managers too, so put it aside. It was a bit of a lucky chance with how the ball bounced if I remember correctly.

CB bombing forward is the exception and teams use that to cause chaos. By that logic, Maguire running forward against a set defense is some sort of tactical failing by the opposing team, it's just not.

We should focus on standard situations. What happened on goal kicks, what happened on transitions to defense and what happened on build ups.

Build ups: During Ole, we tried quite a bit to build out from the back leading to situations like Maguire getting caught on the ball, Pool targeting Shaw last year to force turnovers etc. We went direct quite quickly which is basically Ragnick ball.

Goal kicks: We were extremely high up 6-7 people in their half

Offense -> Defense: We pressed like a reasonably competent team. Against City / Pool, they always made an extra man and it looked as if the whole team was half a step behind the opposition. Left wide open spaces (sp on the LW / our RB) to counter attack as well when we pressed. You could see some evidence of players angling their runs, trying to use cover shadows etc. but it's far cry from what a good pressing team can do.

Team selections: Ronaldo dropped, 4-4-2 Diamond with Bruno as false 9 which we haven't played in ages. AFAIK we played that only once or twice before in 2019.
I do agree about there being clear differences. However, i've always had issues with fans not realizing that ideas are not necessarily execution. There is a lot more to it than simply giving instructions. It'd like being a conductor, you may not play but you have to get everyone in sync, using different techniques and methods in practices to get that performance.

In the case of Carrick, some leeway has to be given due to timing, but in essence, despite giving different instructions to Ole, which was clear,
It's worth noting, if we were averaging the same number of points as last season (where we finished on just 74), we'd currently be on 25 points which would be 5 points off Chelsea in 1st. So to be completely out of the title race by now is just unforgivable. A competent manager would at least have us in the title race right now if they started the season, even if we don't win it by the end.

However in regards to the situation we find ourselves in, I do worry that if results don't start going our way straight away, starting tomorrow, we could see the likes of Spurs, Arsenal and West Ham open up a 8+ point gap at some point soon which may be too much to recover. The club are such braindead idiots to allow Ole to ruin our season.
I agree. We've really managed to make top 4 a tougher proposition than it should ever have been. The thing with Ragnick ironically, is that as much as our fans and media are excited about his style, his teams have good defensive records due to how narrow and compact they are. That alone could see us churn out decent results ( which we have done with Ole) without even being the finished Ragnick product. Of course, this is also based on optimism, but more than just Ragnick, I really do believe in these group of players. I think Maguire is a very good player whose lack of fitness due to injury exposed him more than he should have been. AWB is a good defender who has struggled with his positioning due to how disorganized we have been as a team this season, similar to the start of last season. Shaw is still the same player he was last season, but again, suffering from the disorganization we have had to start the season with.

Midfield is still the one place where we have an issue, Rangnick staying on as a consultant might actually allow us to buy one in January. However, I don't think simply not having a good deep lying playmaker was the reason we struggled so much in the build up.

Marcelinho87

He has failure written all over him, another LVG. I just can't see him and the players getting on and them following his instructions.
They had better pick it up because unlike LVg he goes into an even more senior role after so they had better be sweating.

Status
Not open for further replies.