Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Side note and seemingly on the same path as the Rangnick appointment, are we doing things the right way from now on?

It seems crazy that Woodward ploughed on for so long thinking he could control the football side of the club with no knowledge or advice from experts. He was really either a major control freak or an idiot :lol:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'm reading some of the posts since the Ralf announcement has been made and the concerning thing is that some come across as suggesting or thinking there will be a massive shift in our playing style etc straight away and we could be winning trophies by the end of the season.

Now I'm not saying we won't win a trophy or that it wouldn't be nice to suddenly see a team performing to a high level. However I think we need to be cautious and patient here. I think there maybe a bit of pain initially and a lot of banter/abuse from opposition fans. Depending how n how much work is needed to get the players, culture of the club etc back on track.

For me these next 6 months are not as results focussed but seeing a change in attitude, culture, players used or dropped etc

Ultimately what I know of RR (and I was touting him a couple of years back) has me excited as I think we will be having a plan and a structure in place that we don't currently. His appointment isn't about the short term but benefits for the mid to long term.
Anyone thinking that is stupid. He’s an interim coach who’s here to instil some level of tactical discipline in a side that seems to have none, and then take a consultancy role to ensure the club make smart footballing decisions. He’s the guy who starts the domino chain.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.

Perfect! Gets his own staff and assess what we currently have. Keep the potential and bin the rest. The right approach

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Side note and seemingly on the same path as the Rangnick appointment, are we doing things the right way from now on?

Knowing your limitations is a great thing. If Arnold literally just hands football decisions to the DOF, Technical Director and Ragnick then he's already a big upgrade.

With Murtough seeming to have led the hiring process with the interim, hopefully that continues with the permanent manager.

romufc

Why if he is so good and the majority here happy to get him, he hasn’t managed any top side?
Its not always about managing the top club. Its not always about trophies. You have to learn where you are. We are not there. If you look at RR pedigree, he did exactly the same with Leipzig. Came in as manager for 6 months and then got Nagglesman in. He took a position above and revolutionised Leipzig.

The excitement is not because what he has done in terms of winning trophies but:

1. Is the master of geggen press - Alot of players are in for a shock
2. He brought in managers like Hassnhutl, Nagglesman
3. Tuchel, Klopp both look up to him for pressing football
4. Him moving to the board is more exciting than being interim manager.
5. His record of signings in previous clubs where he signed Kimmich, Haaland, Keita, Mane, Konate, Sabitzer etc..

There is alot good he can do to our club.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I'm more excited about his 2 years as Sporting Director than I am about him as a manager.
We will finally have a football person making modern football decisions and changes.
Lately we've become a Marketing agency with a football department.
Time to prioritize football again.

Zoo

I can't see him and Ronaldo getting along.

Will Ronaldo accept a fringe role?
What he’s describing here is pretty much Ronaldo (big car thing aside):

“Mentality relates to the effort you put in,” he continued. “Are you hungry? Are you willing to submit everything to get better? Do you want to improve yourself every day? Do you live in a professional way? Are you resistant to things like nightclubs or drinking? Do you need a big car or other things for your ego? If you don’t have the right mentality, you can forget about the inherited talent that’s in your DNA, and what you have learned from others. It’s no use. It doesn’t help. It doesn’t matter how talented a player is, if the mentality is shit, forget about it.”

Bondi77

They had kicked the shit out of reigning champs Inter in the QFs, 7-3 aggregate. They had the remnants of Raul leading the side with a mixture of castoffs and youth from what I see. Howedes, Matip, Neuer some of the known youth that excelled. There have been a few posts many pages back that describes Schalke's performances during this period. Rangnick took over in late-March before Inter QF round. Looks like Magath had them doing well in Europe and DFB cups but struggling in Bundesliga.
Fair enough, thanks for the info.

captaincantona

Really excited for this appointment they actually made a footballing decision! He's the right type of interim manager to come in and give some identity to the players and bring a style of football we so desperately need. Also getting him to stay for another two years after is great he can oversee the whole structure of the club and bring us into the modern era, I hope he will do whatever he can to bring in Erik Ten Hag in the summer.
I agree with him being the right man but this Would be an odd arrangement unless the candidate for permanent manager after him was in the mind To continue on the training method and philosophy he is introducing. At RB they had Naglesmann waiting in the wings...very much a disciple.

Poch has a different style and approach I would say and how would Rangnick handle that transition especially if his own brand of football is showing signs of bearing fruit and the fans want more?

is Tan Hag a better fit? I don’t know tbh.Does anyone think Hasenhuthal might be under consideration in a complete and utter Octoberfest Currywurst und pomme fritte makeover???

Highfather_24

Posted this earlier.

Apparently SAF is an admirer of his coaching.

I think I've zeroed in on Rangnick as United's best option for now. Bring him in as manager till the end of the season, then move him into DOF and ask him to find a manager. He will probably target someone like Ten Hag or Rose, and we will have a nice structure in place. He will completely overhaul our club for the better top to bottom, and make it modern.

We need someone like Rangnick to be our DOF. In the meantime, he will coach this team well, we will learn to play like a team, press high and play attacking football. We can still have a decent season.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
What can I say about Ralf Rangnick and his career so far? In Germany, his nickname is "Football Professor". And there's something real about it. He want's to play high-speed football with high pressing. All players must defend. He also tries psychological tricks on his players. Would you like an example? Before the start of a game, he let go of a firecracker in the locker room. He did that because the players often weren't there at the beginning of the game. And what can I say, it worked. The players gave everything from minute 1.

It was impressive how he led a club like SSV Ulm from the 3rd German league to the 1st league. And the SSV Ulm was a poor club. The Schalke 04 station (he was there twice) is also impressive. Bundesliga place 2, CL semi-finals and the final victory of the DFB Cup. So statistically he was the 2nd best coach at Schalke of all Times. The attractiveness of his football was also convincing. Only Huub Stevens was better and had one more title than Rangnick, and that was the 1997 UEFA Cup.

Rangnick is also a project manager. He led TSG 1899 Hoffenheim from the 3rd German league directly to the 1st league. In the Bundesliga he finished 7th in the first year, which was a strong result for a completely new team. He also did an excellent job at RB Leipzig. Only there he was more active as a sports director and thus responsible for player commitments.(He only trained RB Leipzig in transition phases, but he was always successful there too. 3rd Place in the Bundesliga)

If you want to compare Rangnick, then it's best to compare it to Klopp. This is the football he wants to play. If he really is coming to Manchester United then I can only congratulate you. He's a very strong manager. His philosophy is actually aimed at young players who are capable of developing. But I am sure that with his experience and know-how he can also use a Cristiano Ronaldo well. After all, Ronaldo is an absolute professional footballer. Things could go a little worse with Paul Pogba because he's a diva. But you don't care. It is only important that it can bring success. For Ralf Rangnick, the team is above all else.

What I can say is if the club, the players and the fans are behind Rangnick, then Manchester United will be feared again in Europe. Put your trust in him and he will pay you back with beautiful and successful football. That's all I wanted to say about it.

Ladies and gentlemen, I wish you a good night. And sorry for my bad English, I hope you understand what I wanted to say to you.

Greetings RedBavarian
Thanks for the informative post. I’m sure there are plenty, like me, who know little about him. And don’t apologise for your English, it is better than most of the English speakers on here.

GreatDane

He's going to have a meltdown when he sees the shape of Carrick, McKenna and Phelan :lol:
I have a hope that Carrick and McKenna have talent as coaches and RR will help them develop as well as the players.

If they really are as 'top top' as Ole claimed they are, then they should have no problem training the players as Ralf wants.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Ya the LVG comparison occurred to me with all the talk about Ralf being a professor-like manager. To be fair to LVG, he had some good tactical displays with United but ultimately could not lead the team to success apart from the FA cup win (not to mention the football was terrible to watch).

To me the two biggest differences between Ralf and LVG are that 1) Ralf has been far better in both scouting and the transfer market as evidenced with his guidance of the Red Bull system and 2) Ralf's coaching tree is more concrete in that he directly trained a number of the managers who are now having success on their own whereas LVG really only directly trained one manager who could be considered top-level (Jose). Tellingly, Jose played a starkly different style of football to LVG whereas the managers who have been influenced by Ralf continue to use a lot of the same tactics that Ralf brought into the Bundesliga. The last point in particular is important as it suggests that Ralf's tactics are the modern tactics United needs to adopt to take the next step. In contrast, LVG seemed outdated in his approach with the likes of Pep and Klopp entering the league around the same time.
Excellent thanks

Bestietom

At long last we seem to be going in right direction. I love the idea of him staying for 2 years as consultant.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
There will be some teething process, I guess. However, Ralf staying for 2 more years in a consultancy role does indicate that he will provide his expertise and advice when it comes to football matters. He is very likely to have a say on who could be the best bet amoung available managers. Rangnick is probably the most knowledgeable football person who is/will be involved in training sessions, which, I believe will have a terrific effect on our squad. Frankly speaking, we have been underachieving for too long, so if there was one person who I would trust to unlock the potential that our players have, is the German Professor.
Yea I was indirectly implying that it could take a while to see a big improvement as a lot of our squad probably aren't suited to his football but I could be wrong.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Ridiculous. He’ll appreciate what Ronaldo brings and work to get the best out of him.

He will be in the first XI.
I’m not sure the club (board) or the fans would accept Ronaldo not being a starter. It simply won’t happen. He is not some average old player who doesn’t contribute or produce - he always produces.

cyril C

At long last we seem to be going in right direction. I love the idea of him staying for 2 years as consultant.
I would not be surprised if RR eventually replacing Woodward, instead of just being a consultant.

His introduction comes in 2 phases, 1st is to stop bleeding, minor fix and don't expect revolutionary changes, because he can't do much over a short period of time. Top 4 is about the best outcome we can get.

The more interesting part is Phase 2, what happen afterwards. What role will he play? Is the Club really changing or just pay someone a few million a year as Ambassador.

CG1010

Post Fergie we have tried every successful philosophy out there under different managers. We tried Pep’s/dutch possession based football through Van gaal. Then we tried defensive football through Mourinho. Then we tried to emulate Sir Alex formula and football through ole. Now we go for Gegenpress through RR. The ideas were ok but every time we picked the wrong person to emulate it. Every single candidate either was past it or didn’t have it in them to properly do it. I hope we didn’t make the same mistake with RR and given Rangnick managed for only 2 years in the last decade doesn’t fill me with confidence. He talks a good talk but so does Bielsa and so did LVG and nobody was better than Louis Van Gaal at that. Fingers crossed:nervous:

This is where I am at too.. and to add to that, we need to have a transfer strategy for the manager/philosophy to succeed.. for example, with LVG we enforced a strategy of buying super star older players where he had operated out of moulding young players into his philosophy. For Mourinho to succeed we needed to buy him as many defensive players and hard working as he needed

Wilt

On a cautious note, would prefer to see how he handles being Utd manager before talk about staying on as consultant.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I'm more excited about his 2 years as Sporting Director than I am about him as a manager.
We will finally have a football person making modern football decisions and changes.
Lately we've become a Marketing agency with a football department.
Time to prioritize football again.
^^Exactly this^^
And I'm getting the impression that Murtough is instrumental in better footballing decisions being made at the club, such as putting Rangnick in the frame.
Reasons to be cautiously optimistic.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
The state of these posts. Ignore all the context and just pure stupidity. We've really let a lot of clowns start posting freely and openly wumming in the Manchester United forum.

Laughable thing is that this is not the first time he has done this. The bloke continuously trawls through United forum and leaves no opportunity to not shit on the club/or make a WUM post. Utter clown.
First of all, to say "ignore the context" is pretty ironic when you ignore the context of my first post to then claim I'm somehow 'shitting on the club', which I'm clearly not at all.
Secondly, it's not my job, but yours, to now stand behind your manager. Good boy.

Jacob

Hope to God that he changes the captain and puts Maguire in his place (on the bench).

Status
Not open for further replies.