Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idxomer

When he replaced Hasenhuttl as RBL manager, he improved their defense the most.

They went from conceding 53 goals to just 29, he also seems obsessed with 4-2-2-2 or variations of it.

El Jefe

I really wish he was taking over the team on Sunday, as we'll have to endure another week of treating him as some footballing deity on here. The fawning over him is getting a bit excessive now and you would think it's the second coming of SAF the way some are acting.

The summer we signed LVG it was the same. We had endless threads about his philosophy, tactical impact on the game and the entertaining football we were about to witness having just signed ADM and Falcao etc. He ended up having the most boring United side ever watched.

I say this to say, just wait to see what we actually do on the pitch. I would understand if we hired Pep, Klopp or Tuchel but we're hiring someone whose never even coached a top side before, has no experience of the PL and hasn't even coached a side in 2.5 years.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I really wish he was taking over the team on Sunday, as we'll have to endure another week of treating him as some footballing deity on here. The fawning over him is getting a bit excessive now and you would think it's the second coming of SAF the way some are acting.

The summer we signed LVG it was the same. We had endless threads about his philosophy, tactical impact on the game and the entertaining football we were about to witness having just signed ADM and Falcao etc. He ended up having the most boring United side ever watched.

I say this to say, just wait to see what we actually do on the pitch. I would understand if we hired Pep, Klopp or Tuchel but we're hiring someone whose never even coached a top side before, has no experience of the PL and hasn't even coached a side in 2.5 years.
Yeah because getting annoyed by people getting excited over a prospective coach on a football forum is a serious issue these days..

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

Yeah, but I was fully expecting fecking Rodgers or Southgate, so I'll allow myself to be happy thanks. :lol:

Resch

RR is a very good coach, but he is the better DoF.
When he replaced Hasenhuttl as RBL manager, he improved their defense the most.

They went from conceding 53 goals to just 29, he also seems obsessed with 4-2-2-2 or variations of it.
4-2-2-2 would be nice but do we have the right midfielders?
AM: Fernandes, Sancho, VdB, Pogba
8s: Fred, McT
6: Matic
RR system needs workers, fighters, who run for the ball. Matic is not the perfect player for RR.

Against weaker teams, Pogba could play an offensive 8. But against elite teams we need more defence.
Maybe a 4 4 2 diamond would work.
Fernandes
VdB Sancho
McT

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
RR is a very good coach, but he is the better DoF.

4-2-2-2 would be nice but do we have the right midfielders?
AM: Fernandes, Sancho, VdB, Pogba
8s: Fred, McT
6: Matic
RR system needs workers, fighters, who run for the ball. Matic is not the perfect player for RR.

Against weaker teams, Pogba could play an offensive 8. But against elite teams we need more defence.
Maybe a 4 4 2 diamond would work.
Fernandes
VdB Sancho
McT
4-2-2-2 could work well for us on paper. The problem with literally any formation for us is that it would be easily improved with a better DM/CM and RB.

BarstoolProphet

Not gonna lie, this feels like the LVG appointment. Radical changes in the training regime, very direct personality etc but possibly a bit outdated. Atleast we finally went for a German, even though we might be a bit too late to the party - kinda like signing Spanish internationals in 2014.

sugar_kane

Not gonna lie, this feels like the LVG appointment. Radical changes in the training regime, very direct personality etc but possibly a bit outdated. Atleast we finally went for a German, even though we might be a bit too late to the party - kinda like signing Spanish internationals in 2014.
Yeah I’ve got the LVG vibe as well, but form the sounds of it the style will be very different.

As interims go though, I’m feeling it’s the best sort of move we could have made.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
let's just hope he sets some discipline, sets a style of play and puts some structure in place on this team
That's what makes me think that that report is bullshit. Rangnick has said countless times that he likes to be involved in all aspects of the club, and clearly he will have negotiated that with United. To then suddenly turn around and become full time manager, after already setting up an advisor position, doesn't make sense. Just screams of journalists who have no idea what's going on trying to stay relevant.

Devil’s Trident

If he is what everyone is claiming he is then I think we would hit ground pretty quick. Our squad is not only good but also has many options for him. I wish we bloody get going because it’s time for some payback. I won’t forget the level of mocking we had to endure as a club and as fans these past 1-2 months and I want retribution.

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Quite a lazy comparison, that LVG bit, the Spanish players bit pretty random illustration of what you already said of something being outdated. What top manager has a lax approach to his training regime? I think what we've seen at United is a pretty significant rise in player power, in a culture of entitlement that starts at the top. A successful team will have to be that, a team. Him being a direct personality can imply anything, but if you know of successful opposites, feel free to share examples. For the record, he's described very positively as a man manager.

Long Time Red

I would say a few things in response:

1. We have a much better squad now than under LVG.
2. We were so poorly coached by Ole that anyone who is semi-competent would improve us and Rangnick is quite a bit better than that.
3. We are going to aggressively press like never before which will be incredibly exciting and nothing like LVG.

He has said he doesn't believe in a little bit of pressing, either you aggressively press or you don't. We may get done on the counter and by balls over the top but the days of weak, passive home performances are a thing of the past.

Teams will come to Old Trafford and get suffocated under the pressure of our press.

It truly is the dawn of a new era.

It may not lead to trophies but it will be a lot more fun than hoping the likes of Pogba, Bruno and Rashford etc. come up with a bit of magic to win games.

TheReligion

Abusive

Yes because God forbid United fans be happy and optimistic.

Jesus wept give it a rest.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

The players are pissed? Oh boo hoo maybe now they'll have to work. Does anyone else find it incredibly annoying that the players feel entitled to be annoyed about this? They should be concentrating on their game not throwing tantrums because they weren't consulted about the new interim manager, the dressing room needs sorting big time, get rid of these personalities who think they are entitled everything
To paraphrase someone from Reddit, they're probably annoyed their multi-year holiday is over and they might actually have to earn their paycheque!

El Jefe

Yes because God forbid United fans be happy and optimistic.

Jesus wept give it a rest.
Be happy and optimistic by all means, I certainly am happy that we've replaced Ole with someone who is more capable.

My only issue is the overstating of the impact of Rangnick. If we appointed any of the other shortlisted candidates, there wouldn't have been half as much hype even though Rangnick is less accomplished than Valverde or Garcia.

Rangnick is in unchartered territory at United, he's never coached at this level before so I'm just calling for people to be a bit reserved in their expectations at least until we actually see proof on the pitch.

Denis79

I'm more excited about him staying on after we find a permanent manager. Hopefully we hired him to stay on and REALLY consult, maybe even take a role similar to that of a DOF.

I'm hoping that we start building towards some kind of identity on the pitch. Because since SAF retired we have been changing our way of playing dramatically with every appointment.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I would say a few things in response:

1. We have a much better squad now than under LVG.
2. We were so poorly coached by Ole that anyone who is semi-competent would improve us and Rangnick is quite a bit better than that.
3. We are going to aggressively press like never before which will be incredibly exciting and nothing like LVG.

He has said he doesn't believe in a little bit of pressing, either you aggressively press or you don't. We may get done on the counter and by balls over the top but the days of weak, passive home performances are a thing of the past.

Teams will come to Old Trafford and get suffocated under the pressure of our press.

It truly is the dawn of a new era.

It may not lead to trophies but it will be a lot more fun than hoping the likes of Pogba, Bruno and Rashford etc. come up with a bit of magic to win games.
You can't just randomly expect the players to suddenly have the stamina to press hard when they've not been specifically training for it.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
You can't just randomly expect the players to suddenly have the stamina to press hard when they've not been specifically training for it.
You're right but hopefully this is a start of the long term plan. Rangnick comes in and lays the foundations, moves up to senior management where he and Murtough bring in a manager that fits the same ideology, and it continues from there over the next few years. Murtough continues the blueprint while Rangnick gets to retire in the Cotswolds, happy in the knowledge that he's fixed the biggest club in England, drinking stout until the end of his days and basking in the knowledge that he's pissed off Liam Gallagher.

As a plan it could go either way but I'm just glad that we finally have a plan after years or fecking about.

Perfect . Think if we do well and get a top 4, I won't mind him taking over full time. Poch still hasn't convinced me and not sure how much of a fit ETH is going to be after Ralf.
I wrote this on Thursday or Wednesday. Also today I’ve noticed a lot of journalist are putting the consultant bit in single quotation marks, sometimes that’s used to symbolise a supposedly type scenario

If her gets this team playing top quality football, not expecting him to perfect it by May, but it the signs are there I’d be up for turning it into an extra year or two. I think the 2 extra years as a consultant, is probably also to cover the possibility that we might want to keep him on longer.

mav_9me

Be happy and optimistic by all means, I certainly am happy that we've replaced Ole with someone who is more capable.

My only issue is the overstating of the impact of Rangnick. If we appointed any of the other shortlisted candidates, there wouldn't have been half as much hype even though Rangnick is less accomplished than Valverde or Garcia.

Rangnick is in unchartered territory at United, he's never coached at this level before so I'm just calling for people to be a bit reserved in their expectations at least until we actually see proof on the pitch.
I am one of those who is excited but you are right. It's reminiscent of LVG where people were expecting him to make us like Bayern.

I am just excited to get a competent coach.

Newtonius

Someone posted this on Reddit,

https://pastebin.com/Q2MhkrUm

good read.

This should worry us a lot, if United has one thing its an abundance of people that don't know what they are doing that don't like being challenged. Especially concerning his future role, probably why its only a "consultancy".

The same people who hired him to bring in change lost their nerve when said changes threatened the existing order. Rangnick’s reformist zeal lost traction amid the complex power structure of a club that’s never quite happy at the best of times. He didn’t enjoy VfB’s full backing when he suspended Krassimir Balakov, an old-school playmaker who didn’t fancy all that running. A few months later, Rangnick got sacked.

“Working with him can be difficult because he expects things to happen immediately,” a Bundesliga official who knows him well tells The Athletic. “There’s no such thing as ‘tomorrow’ for him. He’ll call you late at night with an idea —he never stops thinking about football during his waking hours — and he expects you to have a good answer straight away. He’s very demanding. It can be overwhelming for those who don’t know him because he wants them to develop and innovate very quickly. But those can handle those type of demands tend to grow a lot in their careers. He pushes you to get better along the way.”

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Everyone knows that we aren't hiring a top class manager. But for a team that plays ancient football tactically it's definitely exciting to have someone who is highly rated for his progressive football tactics whether he works out or not. Its a shame that you have endure some positivity though.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Looking forward to Rangnick making Maguire mow the training field grass for 4-6 hours, Ronaldo give stadium tours, Pogba work 3 hours in the fan shop and other punishments he'll be handing out.

https://www.firstorderhistorians.com/2018/09/13/special-penalties-for-leipzig-players/
I don't think he's going to be as extreme as he has in the past. At an elite club that already has bog stars of the game he'll have to adapt a bit, but of course they will too.

Status
Not open for further replies.