Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
You spent half the game yesterday shitting on it so was expecting you to pipe up.

CL - 1st clean sheet in god knows how long.
PL- A quality solid performance against top of the league where we could’ve won it if Fred squared it. Yes we may have lost due to the dire start. But they’re both whataboutisms.

Fact of the matter is, we’ve improved. Even if slightly. If Ole was in charge we’d have been spanked both times.

Cheer up a little.
You call that shit-show of barely surviving thanks to De Gea heroics, us being very lucky, and Chelsea's finishing being trash a "quality solid performance"? You are drunk, mate. If not on alcohol then on euphoria.

I am super happy with the result, but quality of our game was same old "let's get lucky and let's hope moments of brilliance saves us" garbage.

Rajma

You can’t help but feel excited finally, hopefully, we reinforce our midfield in January to give him a chance.

KingCavani

Some just want to needlessly complain about something, anything, keep the negativity going sadly. Fortunately reading through, seems most have some general common sense.

These coaches are under contract and just throwing them out is costly without even giving Ralf a chance to assess. Not only that but, Ralf is not going to do everything himself and he can't just bring a bunch of other coaches for a short time. Where are these world class assistants just hanging around that will be willing to take a 6 month gig anyway? So he is going to need staff at least in this short term to help.

As to Carrick / McKenna, they are still young from a coaching side. Yes, they've been part of management that has had us playing a lot of dull football with seemingly no plan many times but, if there is trust in Ralf's methods, then you only need to listen to what he said about how a coaches job is to transfer that vision into the hearts, minds, veins etc of the players - that will be true also for the coaches because they will not be sitting there and conveying their own game plan. In those 2 at least he will have 2 that he could quickly and easily absorb his ideas and help then to get across to the team.

Phelan - that's bit of a toss up. But, it's not like his is some dullard who has not had great experience under a great manager during a successful period. Or could just be the money and lack of other available resources at least for now.
It’s a purely financial decision in my opinion. They just got extensions and I don’t think they’re prepared to write off their investment. We know how desperate the board were to keep Ole despite the fact that it was all burning down.

I have nothing against the coaches individually but this lack of accountability has been widespread throughout the club for years. Undeserved contract extensions and nepotistic/unqualified appointments have been all too frequent and I think it’s a culture we’d do well to get rid of.

Real Name

Ralf Rangnick said: “I am excited to be joining Manchester United and focused on making this a successful season for the club.

“The squad is full of talent and has a great balance of youth and experience. All my efforts for the next six months will be on helping these players fulfil their potential, both individually and, most importantly, as a team.

“Beyond that, I look forward to supporting the club’s longer-term goals on a consultancy basis.”

Chairman Steve

The hype is exciting, but I can't help wonder why he has never been a properly big club if he is as good as advertised.
Chelsea and AC Milan certainly tried last year but didn’t succeed and for the past decade, he’s been running the Red Bull clubs, to the point when he left last year, both Leipzig and Salzburg are now considered regular Champions League teams, and undoubtedly Red Bull have compensated him a lot during that time.

TheGodsInRed

No idea why people are complaining that Carrick, Phelan etc are staying on.

Ralfie will assess them and their futures will depend on him and whoever is brought on as permanent manager. There's no reason to rush anything just for the sake of sacking them.
Exactly, plus they all got bumper new contracts a month or so ago, so no suprise. If Ragnick thinks they are no good he will have them on cone stacking duties until the summer.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
He was a coach when we won the CL/PL double, and assistant manager when we won multiple league titles.
And more recently he was coauthor of Ole's demise. It is also very telling that Carrick was put as interim over Phelan. Made no sense other than Phelan is an empty space

romufc

Learn and do what? Coach us in the future and dream on continue to find a one United way coach for 20 years! No thank you very much. They don’t deserve to be here same as Ole , enough what we saw from them. Fail.
Coach.. just because Ole didn't work out, doesn't mean every inexperienced coach is bad. Again, like I said, Carrick and Mkenna were here before Ole.

They dont have to become Manutd managers.

Its like saying just because very successful managers and coaches in LVG and Jose failed, we should stop hiring coaches who have been successful.

We saw all of them. Fail.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
You call that shit-show of barely surviving thanks to De Gea heroics, us being very lucky, and Chelsea's finishing being trash a "quality solid performance"? You are drunk, mate. If not on alcohol then on euphoria.

I am super happy with the result, but quality of our game was same old "let's get lucky and let's hope moments of brilliance saves us" garbage.
Sounds like you expected a whole change of tactics and miracles just because Ole left :lol: :lol:

Withnail

If the coaching staff are adaptable and capable of learning what Rangnick wants to bring in and implementing it, I see no issue with them staying on. Rangnick will be able to assess that himself, and if the club genuinely trust him to implement important changes, then let him do it.
Yeah, I'm not sure where this idea everyone had to be fired comes from. The coaches do what they're told by the manager. From what we've heard McKenna in particular is highly rated and Carrick isn't in the role that long so I'd be surprised if they were incapable of working with Rangnick and following his instructions. Besides, the new permanent manager will bring his own staff in anyway.

I'm glad the appointment is finally official and hopefully the visa's sorted quickly so he can get to work.

RUCK4444

There always a divide whoever the manager. Being as though he is just an interim i suspect people won't get to entrenched to Ralfin or Ralfout. Whatever happens he won't be manager come next season.

The fact is we don't know how he's gonna do, hopefully he will do well and results and performances improve but he could be a disaster.

If he does well, people will get behind him, if he struggles people will start complaining.
Well yeah, but there's no point creating the divide before the guy has even arrived, that's my point.

There's really no pattern. SAF is SAF. His coaches were never successful outside of their set-up because they were not the ones "coaching" the team, they just did what SAF told them. Problem with the Ole and Carrick/McKenna operation is that neither the manager or his coaches have any idea what to do. Ole, by his own admission, had little to do with the training and McCarrick have very little idea of how to train a team successfully. Rangnick is more hands on approach, but until Carrick and McKenna are out of this club, I won't be satisfied. At this point it feels like they're spooky ghosts haunting the hallways of Old Trafford as part of a wide curse that has enveloped the club. Must feel pretty demotivating for the players, too.
So finally we get there, the pattern.

SAF's coaches apparently did what SAF told them, but the same coaches for Ole did what? Whatever the feck they liked? Don't be fecking stupid. And what, they will do whatever the feck they like even when Ralf tells them? And what, Ralf won't sack em if they just start coaching shit however they fancy?

Can you even hear yourself?

A top manager will make his coaches look good, and vice versa.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Won't surprise me if it is the club that won't pay out Phelan's contract.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
It's the Goldbridge/Scholes meta.
I think it's a fair assessment. They are coaches who have lasted through two different managers, both of whom failed. I think it's understandable that they receive a fair degree of scrutiny. Not saying that they should all get the boot, but there's probably a good case for saying they all still shouldn't be there.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I hope we retain Carrick, even if he is coaching the reserves, he handled himself well as the interim and there is something about his demeanor that strikes me well.

captaincantona

Some just want to needlessly complain about something, anything, keep the negativity going sadly. Fortunately reading through, seems most have some general common sense.

These coaches are under contract and just throwing them out is costly without even giving Ralf a chance to assess. Not only that but, Ralf is not going to do everything himself and he can't just bring a bunch of other coaches for a short time. Where are these world class assistants just hanging around that will be willing to take a 6 month gig anyway? So he is going to need staff at least in this short term to help.

As to Carrick / McKenna, they are still young from a coaching side. Yes, they've been part of management that has had us playing a lot of dull football with seemingly no plan many times but, if there is trust in Ralf's methods, then you only need to listen to what he said about how a coaches job is to transfer that vision into the hearts, minds, veins etc of the players - that will be true also for the coaches because they will not be sitting there and conveying their own game plan. In those 2 at least he will have 2 that he could quickly and easily absorb his ideas and help then to get across to the team.

Phelan - that's bit of a toss up. But, it's not like his is some dullard who has not had great experience under a great manager during a successful period. Or could just be the money and lack of other available resources at least for now.
I don’t understand why anyone would not be alarmed by it tbh. It only makes sense financially and does not seem to be for pure footballing reasons. I say this because... First it not usually the done thing for a manager to leave and then leave his coaching staff behind...it suggests some sort of disharmony in the first instance. Second it is an odd move for a new coach to assess existing coaches while simultaneously implementing an new style of play- that’s quite risky no? Third these coaches have been part of a very suspect regime in terms of creating an genuine favouritism among certain cohorts within the squad and surely a clean slate is best...all young players and out of favour players working their socks off because they feel with a new managerial team they have a real shot at turning things round...keeping the majority of that team is a bit flakey and you risk losing that new manger “bounce” that so often occurs...finally...if Carrick and co stick around...that surely has implications for any new prospective full time coach being that the vast majority will want their own trusted men in place to take on one of the most highly scrutinised jobs in world football...

It makes no sense other then to save a few bob on wages. We are talking first team coaches here...not admin assistants. It also smacks of good vibes and dna shite which does not have to mean that you litterally have an ex player in every dug out.

Last edited:

Kaos

Hopefully, 1-2 of them get sidelined and seek opportunities for themselves. Phelan might even be retirement age.
Hes 59, so not exactly bound for the retirement home just yet.

Though he should really be a bit more ambitious and try his hand at management again. I know his stint at Hull was very poor, but no reason why he couldn't give it a go in the championship.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
The hype is exciting, but I can't help wonder why he has never been a properly big club if he is as good as advertised.
Seems to me he has been making a living out of putting everything in place for nothing clubs to become established big clubs.

We are a big club for long being run like a nothing club, so could do with a bit of that.

DavelinaJolie

I think it's a fair assessment. They are coaches who have lasted through two different managers, both of whom failed. I think it's understandable that they receive a fair degree of scrutiny. Not saying that they should all get the boot, but there's probably a good case for saying they all still shouldn't be there.
Is demanding they be sacked "scrutiny"? 'Cause to me it just sounds reactive. The manager sets the terms, the staff work to them. Glibness aside I find it hard to hold Mpurinhos reign against anyone other than Mourinho. Ole, I can perhaps see more of the other side, but Carrick to me has shown some astuteness this week in stabilising the absolute Trainwreck we've been on the field (though I know others disagree).

As I said upthread, if Rangnick is truly this wizard, then let him work out what he can get from them and their usefulness.

Giggsy13

And yet we played better the last two games than we have done all season, maybe it was Ole giving the instructions and the coaches just followed what they were told?

Major disrespect to Phelan too, an assistant manager who has won multiple trophies at Man Utd, as the assistant manager.
There was nothing particularly good about our last 2 games. We were more pragmatic and defensive but still gave up 24 shots against Chelsea and would have lost if Lukaku started Even Villareal could have went the other way. Phelan has no use anymore, it’s not a disrespect more so the game passing him by.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Looks like the Glazers found their new SAF. Rangnik asked for a lot of power and got it. Similarly, SAF, was known as serial club builder for his job at St Mirren and Aberdeen before appointment at United.

Firestorm

This is definitely a step in the right direction and I would speculate that if we now go on a run in CL and finish top 4 he will end up as our permanent manager. Conversely, if we lose four games in a row playing badly he will be gone -it’s a tough old game

Sviken

So finally we get there, the pattern.

SAF's coaches apparently did what SAF told them, but the same coaches for Ole did what? Whatever the feck they liked? Don't be fecking stupid. And what, they will do whatever the feck they like even when Ralf tells them? And what, Ralf won't sack em if they just start coaching shit however they fancy?

Can you even hear yourself?

A top manager will make his coaches look good, and vice versa.
There's different kind of managers and this is something you seem unable to get. Some are more hands-on, some are more hands-off. Ole is the latter. Rangnick is the former. But that still doesn't mean McKenna and Carrick are good enough at this level. Nothing much has changed since Carrick took over as interim - we still play the same dour football and the tactics are beyond negative, which points to the fact that Ole wasn't the only problem.

A top manager might make the coaches LOOK good, but he won't make them good. There's a bit of a difference there. This is the third coach Carrick and McKenna have been under. It certainly didn't take Guardiola this long for his genius to come through or SAF's. If Carrick still can't get it at this point, then he's simply not good enough.

Fletchageddon

The fact that Rangnick was in a job and had no need to accept our offer, makes me think he got what he wanted in negotiations and might actually see Carrick, Phelan and McKenna's experience of a) winning titles in a league he has no experience in and b) knowledge of the players and the ways to get the best out of them, quite useful. No?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
The fact that Rangnick was in a job and had no need to accept our offer, makes me think he got what he wanted in negotiations and might actually see Carrick, Phelan and McKenna's experience of a) winning titles in a league he has no experience in and b) knowledge of the players and the ways to get the best out of them, quite useful. No?
Mckenna doesn't fit with that

mu4c_20le

Hmm, consultant for Lokomotiv Moscow, or interim manager for one of the biggest clubs in the world before moving onto a long term backroom position. Tough one, this...

pascell

Oh do behave. Or maybe he was signed for his world class tactics & coaching abilities and the club negotiated him without paying comp? Or better yet, Rangnick managed to get out of the contract himself? Or OR there was a clause in his contract to free himself from it if a club of Man Utd’s stature came calling? Everything so cynical on here.
Charity FC. We've even got teams like Lokomotiv taking pity on us and given us staff for free so he can't be world class.
/s

Status
Not open for further replies.