Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crossy1686

career ending
Appoint a different interim manager.

You seem certain of his visa approval.
well goody for you.

EDIT: You mentioning Brexit is irrelevant. But that point will go over your head.
I’m certain because even if it fails as a managerial visa, what’s stopping us taking the Ajax approach and making him a “DOF”, a position he has many recent years experience in, just like they did with Cruyff many years ago?

Don’t worry if the Cruyff story goes over your head, but you should probably read up on it.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
On the other hand, you could say the Glazers are putting in charge a guy who hasn't managed in the last 5 years.
Rangnick has managed in the last five years. He just hasn't managed two seasons continuously in the last five years.

He managed RB Leipzig in 2018-19, because he couldn't get Nagelsmann out of his deal for that season. So he decided to do the job for a year until Nagelsmann became available.

Corridor of Uncertainty

Don't like how he's standing on that slippery looking ledge.

Last thing we need is him slipping, doing his back in for 6 months and having Carrick until the end of the season.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I’m certain because even if it fails as a managerial visa, what’s stopping us taking the Ajax approach and making him a “DOF”, a position he has many recent years experience in, just like they did with Cruyff many years ago?

Don’t worry if the Cruyff story goes over your head, but you should probably read up on it.
Still don't get it do you?

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
I think it is completely fair to point out that had club acted on Ole earlier we would not have been in this situation - stuck in limbo with Carrick until Rangnick gets the visa. International break would have been perfect to arrange a much more orderly transition.
What's happened has happened. Move on and look forwards to the future instead of moaning. No amount of moaning can change anything.

Teja

No way you could have watched that game and thought that a great manager played a role in anything. We could have been a goal down inside the first few minutes and it could very well turn into another whooping.
Goal down in the first few mins is irrelevant to the discussion, it can happen to great managers too, so put it aside. It was a bit of a lucky chance with how the ball bounced if I remember correctly.

Their CBs walked around entire game with zero pressure. There was even a play where Rudiger almost dribbled into our box without anyone pressing him.
CB bombing forward is the exception and teams use that to cause chaos. By that logic, Maguire running forward against a set defense is some sort of tactical failing by the opposing team, it's just not.

We should focus on standard situations. What happened on goal kicks, what happened on transitions to defense and what happened on build ups.

Build ups: During Ole, we tried quite a bit to build out from the back leading to situations like Maguire getting caught on the ball, Pool targeting Shaw last year to force turnovers etc. We went direct quite quickly which is basically Ragnick ball.

Goal kicks: We were extremely high up 6-7 people in their half

Offense -> Defense: We pressed like a reasonably competent team. Against City / Pool, they always made an extra man and it looked as if the whole team was half a step behind the opposition. Left wide open spaces (sp on the LW / our RB) to counter attack as well when we pressed. You could see some evidence of players angling their runs, trying to use cover shadows etc. but it's far cry from what a good pressing team can do.

Team selections: Ronaldo dropped, 4-4-2 Diamond with Bruno as false 9 which we haven't played in ages. AFAIK we played that only once or twice before in 2019.

tjb

I think people overestimate the task he has in hand.

The players aren't bad , in fact, the only reason we've been able to do well enough to finish 2nd and 3rd under Ole or go far in the europa league is based almost solely on the individual brilliance that some of our players have shown in the past three years. We are even better in terms of talent than those years at the moment, despite the team constantly struggling to win the ball back due to an uncoordinated press and an inability to build up quickly ( which teams with far less talent are able to do). For me, those are very much coaching elements, rather than the collective failure of individuals.

Chelsea are currently topping the league despite missing Lukaku and playing more inexperienced players like Hudson- Odoi or Chalobah. In fact, they haven't even had a striker for most of the season, yet they're able to churn out good consistent performances. Liverpool don't have a perfect team, they've usually had average partners next to Van Dijk and their midfield isn't necessarily perfect, but even when their squad wasn't as complete, when they had Milner and Henderson or Oxlade Chamberlain in there, that didn't stop them from looking dominant. Same goes for us under Sir Alex. Our fans should be optimistic.

OmarUnited4ever

The players aren't bad , in fact, the only reason we've been able to do well enough to finish 2nd and 3rd under Ole or go far in the europa league is based almost solely on the individual brilliance that some of our players have shown in the past three years. We are even better in terms of talent than those years at the moment, despite the team constantly struggling to win the ball back due to an uncoordinated press and an inability to build up quickly ( which teams with far less talent are able to do). For me, those are very much coaching elements, rather than the collective failure of individuals.

Chelsea are currently topping the league despite missing Lukaku and playing more inexperienced players like Hudson- Odoi or Chalobah. In fact, they haven't even had a striker for most of the season, yet they're able to churn out good consistent performances. Liverpool don't have a perfect team, they've usually had average partners next to Van Dijk and their midfield isn't necessarily perfect, but even when their squad wasn't as complete, when they had Milner and Henderson or Oxlade Chamberlain in there, that didn't stop them from looking dominant. Same goes for us under Sir Alex. Our fans should be optimistic.
I agree with this and I am optimistic

romufc

To the contrary, I think he has a bigger task than most people think.

Some of our players arent bad but we do have alot of average players. Players like AWB, McTominay do not have the technical ability to play the brand of football that we want.

Liverpool have a very good team, I wouldn't call Matip and Konate average players, Matip is probably one of the best CB's in the PL. Their midfield consists of Fabinho who is arguably the best CDM in the PL, Thiago, Henderson who are all very good players.

Chelsea are top because they are very well drilled defensively and have a massive threat on set pieces.

I do agree that coaching can improve players and the team but Rangnick does not have time to implement his style, by the time we start playing the way he wants, it will be February / March.

SATA

Hopefully it'll be done and announce by tomorrow evening before the game which will give the crowd a massive boost and takes training on Friday morning

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
To the contrary, I think he has a bigger task than most people think.

Some of our players arent bad but we do have alot of average players. Players like AWB, McTominay do not have the technical ability to play the brand of football that we want.

Liverpool have a very good team, I wouldn't call Matip and Konate average players, Matip is probably one of the best CB's in the PL. Their midfield consists of Fabinho who is arguably the best CDM in the PL, Thiago, Henderson who are all very good players.

Chelsea are top because they are very well drilled defensively and have a massive threat on set pieces.

I do agree that coaching can improve players and the team but Rangnick does not have time to implement his style, by the time we start playing the way he wants, it will be February / March.
Think that's nonsense to be honest. Robertson for example, isn't very technical at all (even his own team mates say so - https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...ex-oxlade-chamberlain-andy-robertson-19249393), yet is extremely effective in a Liverpool system. The style of football basically allows for easy options for passing.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Think that's nonsense to be honest. Robertson for example, isn't very technical at all (even his own team mates say so - https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...ex-oxlade-chamberlain-andy-robertson-19249393), yet is extremely effective in a Liverpool system. The style of football basically allows for easy options for passing.
I agree actually. Even the AWB at Palace was a lot better than our version. He's just regressed through lack of coaching and tactical direction. I personally think that he will flourish under Rangnick.

Dominos

It's worth noting, if we were averaging the same number of points as last season (where we finished on just 74), we'd currently be on 25 points which would be 5 points off Chelsea in 1st. So to be completely out of the title race by now is just unforgivable. A competent manager would at least have us in the title race right now if they started the season, even if we don't win it by the end.

However in regards to the situation we find ourselves in, I do worry that if results don't start going our way straight away, starting tomorrow, we could see the likes of Spurs, Arsenal and West Ham open up a 8+ point gap at some point soon which may be too much to recover. The club are such braindead idiots to allow Ole to ruin our season.

Teja

It's worth noting, if we were averaging the same number of points as last season (where we finished on just 74), we'd currently be on 25 points which would be 5 points off Chelsea in 1st. So to be completely out of the title race by now is just unforgivable. A competent manager would at least have us in the title race right now if they started the season, even if we don't win it by the end.

However in regards to the situation we find ourselves in, I do worry that if results don't start going our way straight away, starting tomorrow, we could see the likes of Spurs, Arsenal and West Ham open up a 8+ point gap at some point soon which may be too much to recover. The club are such braindead idiots to allow Ole to ruin our season.
That's actually surprising .. I thought Pool and City were on course for another 100 pt season but looks like they're only at 2.23 PPG (~86 pts ish)

romufc

Thanks for that. It does also say how good he is in a game and reliable. AWB is not really reliable in the game.

How often have you seen Robertson's lack of defensive ability lead to a goal / chance.

AWB is almost every game. I have also seen AWB have easy options to pass and he completely messes the pass. He has no technical ability.

copen1945

I suppose plucking someone out of the Norwegian league and another from the Russian league would have consequences regarding the visa situation. I wish the board had prepared better.

Berbaclass

Thanks for that. It does also say how good he is in a game and reliable. AWB is not really reliable in the game.

How often have you seen Robertson's lack of defensive ability lead to a goal / chance.

AWB is almost every game. I have also seen AWB have easy options to pass and he completely messes the pass. He has no technical ability.
Robertson is surrounded by VVD/Henderson/Fabinho though tbf, he's quite well protected.

romufc

Robertson is surrounded by VVD/Henderson/Fabinho though tbf, he's quite well protected.
Do you watch Robertston for Scotland? He is one of their best players?

Also, for a player with no technical ability ash @Lash claims, these are his stats

18/19 - 13 assists
19/20 - 3 goals 12 assists
20/21 - 1 goal 7 assists
21/ 22 - 3 assists

Those are not numbers of a player who has not technical ability btw, Andy Robertson is miles ahead of AWB

AWB is protected with 2 CDM's and CB too.

Foxbatt

Our players don't know how to create space and movements off and on the ball. Just look at the Chelsea game. Lots of times two of their players are marking three of our players. That's bad coaching. Our players only move when they receive the ball. Example. AWB only moves when Lindelof has the ball. He needs to start moving before Lindelof receives the ball. Rangnick will sort it out.

romufc

Our players don't know how to create space and movements off and on the ball. Just look at the Chelsea game. Lots of times two of their players are marking three of our players. That's bad coaching. Our players only move when they receive the ball. Example. AWB only moves when Lindelof has the ball. He needs to start moving before Lindelof receives the ball. Rangnick will sort it out.
Yep, elite managers call this trigger movements.

We have a very reactive team, a top coach gets the team to be proactive.

So as soon as the ball starts going in a certain direction, its a trigger for others to make their move.

The only time I see it is when the ball goes to Bruno, Rashord and others start to run in behind.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I think about what Rangnick is exactly here for and I think that he is only here to really help the coaching out with a certain direction rather than necessarily help this bunch of players out directly.

Our coaching has been poor, not necessarily the players, and its time that our Coaching get upgraded towards knowing what is good enough and not good enough; especially in something work orientated like team pressing capabilities.

Berbaclass

Do you watch Robertston for Scotland? He is one of their best players?

Also, for a player with no technical ability ash @Lash claims, these are his stats

18/19 - 13 assists
19/20 - 3 goals 12 assists
20/21 - 1 goal 7 assists
21/ 22 - 3 assists

Those are not numbers of a player who has not technical ability btw, Andy Robertson is miles ahead of AWB

AWB is protected with 2 CDM's and CB too.
And what system do Scotland use? A back five where most of the players are just workhorses. He's a good crosser of the ball but he's not exposed like AWB often is by our poor midfield.

romufc

And what system do Scotland use? A back five where most of the players are just workhorses. He's a good crosser of the ball but he's not exposed like AWB often is by our poor midfield.
I think I have seen enough of Robertston and AWB to conclude that AWB is no where near Robertson's level. In every aspect of his game.

We can blame others but, bad positioning cannot be blamed on other players, passing to opponents cannot be blamed on others.

Berbaclass

I think I have seen enough of Robertston and AWB to conclude that AWB is no where near Robertson's level. In every aspect of his game.

We can blame others but, bad positioning cannot be blamed on other players, passing to opponents cannot be blamed on others.
I wasn't suggesting that they are equal quality :lol:

I responded to you saying that Robertson never really makes defensive mistakes by saying he's very well protected as opposed to AWB who is not well protected.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Bild report that we have promised Rangnick to pay him 10m€ if he can convince Haaland to join us in the summer. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.