Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainoldo

After reading articles over at The Athletic on what RR is doing before, during, and after matches, his approach and tactical nous becomes more clear. Against Villa in the FA Cup, Bruno had been deployed as part of a midfield 3 but kept pushing (too) high up the pitch in an almost false-9 role, which caused our midfield to be overrun. In the 2nd half, RR switched that to a midfield diamond and used the wingers as forwards. They also talked about how we started as 4231 and then gradually shifted our shape. I wish commentators during matches were a little more tactically aware and could likewise explain things. Not saying The Athletic writers are without error, but it beats the hell out of the simplistic commentary we normally get, variations on "and McTominay knocks it out of play for a goal kick," yes, we get it, we just saw it.

I think RR has been trying to get a badly misfiring engine to run smoothly. The article also mentioned that Ole had 2 clean sheets in his last 25 matches, averaging 1.7 goals against, and RR has 0.6 goals against per match and 3 clean sheets in his last 7. So RR has begun by getting the defense to defend.

In the first half, our plan was working well, the diagonal balls from McT finding Rashford on the wing in space. It was the individual decision making from that point forward that let us down, as we all saw several instances of players electing to shoot rather than play in a teammate.

The problem with this team is no longer a tactically naive manager, it's the players themselves are not up to the task.

link to the article in question, likely behind a paywall: https://theathletic.com/3063637/202...pe-but-manchester-united-continue-to-stutter/
So what was Cavani’s role?

Teja

Forget about Top 4 this season. We have bigger problems to focus on. For the last 8 years, I am sick and tired of negative football. Chop and changing managers and we see no improvement at all. Players' power becoming more and more apparent. Players are not showing 100% commitment week in week out. Our board, the highest decision makers are mostly people from finance background.

Finally, this season Ed is leaving, Arnold seems to delegate football matters to football people, Murtough is appointed as DOF and in process to modernise the football structure of the club. Most importantly, he want to move away from stone age football that we play for the last 8 years and appointed Rangnick to start the ball rolling for modern style of play and instill discipline.

Lo and behold, 6 games in people is calling for his head and wanna replace him with people like Carrick, Conte and etc which will bring us back to negative football.

We need to trust the process of modernising our style of play. It will be painful but let's Rangnick lay the foundation. Hopefully, by start of next season with a new modern progressive manager the progress will be good.

It will be a dream come true if Man Utd start to play modern attacking with high pressing system. This is the only way we can compete with the best. Short term pain for long term gain.
100% this.

Water Melon

Forget about Top 4 this season. We have bigger problems to focus on. For the last 8 years, I am sick and tired of negative football. Chop and changing managers and we see no improvement at all. Players' power becoming more and more apparent. Players are not showing 100% commitment week in week out. Our board, the highest decision makers are mostly people from finance background.

Finally, this season Ed is leaving, Arnold seems to delegate football matters to football people, Murtough is appointed as DOF and in process to modernise the football structure of the club. Most importantly, he want to move away from stone age football that we play for the last 8 years and appointed Rangnick to start the ball rolling for modern style of play and instill discipline.

Lo and behold, 6 games in people is calling for his head and wanna replace him with people like Carrick, Conte and etc which will bring us back to negative football.

We need to trust the process of modernising our style of play. It will be painful but let's Rangnick lay the foundation. Hopefully, by start of next season with a new modern progressive manager the progress will be good.

It will be a dream come true if Man Utd start to play modern attacking with high pressing system. This is the only way we can compete with the best. Short term pain for long term gain.
Well put.

el3mel

They were in the top 4 all season, but they were not convincing. I mean that was the season ‘Pep Guardiola is my idol’ became a meme because people were mistaken in thinking he couldn’t hack it. because shock horror they had expectations like yours and didn’t clock that it takes a while to get a team playing in the image of its manager.

Are you telling me we should have higher expectations than City had when they bought in Pep and had a squad of title winners?

Pep had a stronger squad than we do and he couldn’t keep up with a Spurs and Chelsea side who are far weaker than the current Liverpool and City sides.

It’s not about lowering expectations, it’s about being realistic. We are so far away from Liverpool and City right now it’s a joke. How can can you honestly expect a manger to come in and raise our standards to theirs in one season. It just doesn’t work like that. In two seasons probably, but in one? Why are you setting yourself up for disappointment.
Are you trying to goalpost shifting ? You said City almost failed to make top 4, which isn't true. They were in top 4 all season. People were mocking Pep because they thought he won't be able to win the league, not because City "almost failed to make top 4".

We're not talking about winning the league from Liverpool and City. We're talking about just, hell, just being close enough to them throughout the next season. I'm getting sick all honestly from people treating Liverpool and City as some sort of gods that United have no chance to stand against.

bosskeano

Really? He signed them all even though he had a chance to make a possession team out of it.

Maguire, Lindelof, Shaw, Matic, Pogba, Donny,Martial - he had an excellent base to make a possession based team. He just didn't know how to make use of it.
HUH???? Lindelof is poor on the ball, Matic is ancient, Pogba gave the ball away non stop in build up play, Martial was not a possession based forward either. They were never going to be a possession based team but much better on the counter attack with the pace of rashford, martial and greenwood.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
HUH???? Lindelof is poor on the ball, Matic is ancient, Pogba gave the ball away non stop in build up play, Martial was not a possession based forward either. They were never going to be a possession based team but much better on the counter attack with the pace of rashford, martial and greenwood.
We kept possession pretty well under LVG. Shows that a guy like Shaw or Martial are capable of playing possession football.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Lindelof isn't poor on the ball. Matic is an excellent player on the ball. Pogba loses ball because he is being asked to do whatever he wants during the game. With right coaching he can easily be a good system player. Martial is one of the best players with ball on the feet and to retain possession.

bond19821982

I don't think LVG personally vets every one of his signings.. I just can't picture him reviewing dozens of hours of Schneiderlin footage and still thinking he's the right one. He seems more like the kind of person who gives a profile to the scouting dept and lets them do their thing. That's probably for a different thread though... just found that part amusing, regardless of which manager you meant. Martial, playing an intelligent possession based game!
Fair enough but Martial is actually one of the better players if ball is played to his feet. He can very well retain the possession in tight spaces.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Well that’s what I could see. Didn’t know what game the Athletic was watching also highly doubt if Bruno was told to play in a 3 he’s just going to wonder off and play 10.
it was quite clearly a 4231 formation all match until the DVB sub. then we pushed bruno up top and DVB played right side midfield.

Bruno was playing as a false 9 or 10 in a diamond if you will.

Flexdegea

Yep basically that. It took Pep a whole year to then win a title. It took Klopp a couple more years due to having a very poor team far worse than our with less resources.

So I would fully expect a competitive team within a summer. That's what good managers do. Look at Conte.

The only people that live in dreamland or United and Arsenal fans who believe in this 3 year 'process' :lol:

Why you keep hyping Conte, he not exactly ripping up trees at spurs.

They still average, they getting dicked twice against chelsea, and have a full team to his disposal

Chairman Steve

I feel that if we appointed Conte, it would have been Jose all over again, where we’d have to give exactly what he wants in the transfer regardless whether the player was in their peak years or didn’t really fit with progressive managers like Klopp or Tuchel. The football would have been negative and boring like Jose and therefore the joy would have to have been that Conte wins a shit ton of games, and if he didn’t do that then the concerns would arise much like when Jose was here.

Conte would have felt like sticking to our old post-SAF ways, trying to fit Conte into that SAF hole and we’d be going around the same roundabout again in my opinion. He’d fall out with our club within 2 years and we’d be fecked yet again… plus I’d find it amazing if there’s people out there who hated Jose on his football alone but then wanted us to get Conte at all costs.

el3mel

I feel that if we appointed Conte, it would have been Jose all over again, where we’d have to give exactly what he wants in the transfer regardless whether the player was in their peak years or didn’t really fit with progressive managers like Klopp or Tuchel. The football would have been negative and boring like Jose and therefore the joy would have to have been that Conte wins a shit ton of games, and if he didn’t do that then the concerns would arise much like when Jose was here.

Conte would have felt like sticking to our old post-SAF ways, trying to fit Conte into that SAF hole and we’d be going around the same roundabout again in my opinion. He’d fall out with our club within 2 years and we’d be fecked yet again… plus I’d find it amazing if there’s people out there who hated Jose on his football alone but then wanted us to get Conte at all costs.
Ralf is already playing shit football mate.

macheda14

Are you trying to goalpost shifting ? You said City almost failed to make top 4, which isn't true. They were in top 4 all season. People were mocking Pep because they thought he won't be able to win the league, not because City "almost failed to make top 4".

We're not talking about winning the league from Liverpool and City. We're talking about just, hell, just being close enough to them throughout the next season. I'm getting sick all honestly from people treating Liverpool and City as some sort of gods that United have no chance to stand against.
The other poster was correct in me mistaking the season before, but still being 3 points off fifth wasn’t ‘comfortable’. Leicester were in the top 4 for the majority of the last two seasons and were dumped out in the final day. Were they comfortably in the top 4?

I mean that’s my point people called him a fraud because he didn’t win in his first season nor did he challenge for the title. That’s Pep with a very good squad. So to expect our next manager to come in and perform miracles is highly unrealistic.

Yes because they are far far better than us. It will take a season of very good coaching to get us up to the standards of two clubs that have had 5 seasons of very good coaching.

Challenging isn’t ‘being close’ it’s actually being in title contention. But then to go by your logic, you were pissed at people who just want us to be in the top 4. Where are your standards? You just want us to be close without actually challenging for the title? Seems like you want the same thing. Us to look very good next year but having realistic expectations that we won’t be winning the league.

el3mel

The other poster was correct in me mistaking the season before, but still being 3 points off fifth wasn’t ‘comfortable’. Leicester were in the top 4 for the majority of the last two seasons and were dumped out in the final day. Were they comfortably in the top 4?

I mean that’s my point people called him a fraud because he didn’t win in his first season nor did he challenge for the title. That’s Pep with a very good squad. So to expect our next manager to come in and perform miracles is highly unrealistic.

Yes because they are far far better than us. It will take a season of very good coaching to get us up to the standards of two clubs that have had 5 seasons of very good coaching.

Challenging isn’t ‘being close’ it’s actually being in title contention. But then to go by your logic, you were pissed at people who just want us to be in the top 4. Where are your standards? You just want us to be close without actually challenging for the title? Seems like you want the same thing. Us to look very good next year but having realistic expectations that we won’t be winning the league.
If you watched the season you know they were comfortable, were hardly at danger of dropping out of top 4 and I'm tired of arguing this point, so let's move to other ones.

People here called Klopp "flopp" and mocked his inability to win trophies with Liverpool in his first few seasons. I don't get why United fans opinion matter that much when it comes to our greatest rivals clubs managers. Of course we'll mock them, even if deep down we know they're moving in the right direction, such as with Klopp's Liverpool.

They're better than us but they're not gods and football doesn't work like this. Liverpool had a 99 points season then next one struggled to finish top 4. City got two 100 points season then finished 2nd 18 points away from the top. Again, I'm sick of this mentality "Liverpool and City are gods, we have no chance challenging them". As long as keep thinking this way, we'll never, ever challenge them for real. They're good but they're beatable. With the proper manager and proper investment, we can challenge them.

And being close to them in points throughout the season is called challenging them, that's not rocket science. I didn't say I expect to win the league, but United should be good enough to be a title challenger next season with proper summer.

Telsim

If you watched the season you know they were comfortable, were hardly at danger of dropping out of top 4 and I'm tired of arguing this point, so let's move to other ones.

People here called Klopp "flopp" and mocked his inability to win trophies with Liverpool in his first few seasons. I don't get why United fans opinion matter that much when it comes to our greatest rivals clubs managers. Of course we'll mock them, even if deep down we know they're moving in the right direction, such as with Klopp's Liverpool.

They're better than us but they're not gods and football doesn't work like this. Liverpool had a 99 points season then next one struggled to finish top 4. City got two 100 points season then finished 2nd 18 points away from the top. Again, I'm sick of this mentality "Liverpool and City are gods, we have no chance challenging them". As long as keep thinking this way, we'll never, ever challenge them for real. They're good but they're beatable. *With the proper manager and proper investment, we can challenge them.*

And being close to them in points throughout the season is called challenging them, that's not rocket science. I didn't say I expect to win the league, but United should be good enough to be a title challenger next season with proper summer.
So just make the proper decisions backed by enough money and you can challenge titles? Who would have thought?

Christ, mate. Liverpool and City are ran like football clubs. We are not. And haven't for a decade. It's not that they are unreachable because they are that good. They are unreachable because our club doesn't care about reaching them. Manchester United at present is a retirement home and a source of passive income. Competitive success is not exactly on the table of priorities. We are not challenging anything like that.

Mainoldo

Why you keep hyping Conte, he not exactly ripping up trees at spurs.

They still average, they getting dicked twice against chelsea, and have a full team to his disposal
Did they lose to Chelsea today or something?

The United

Well Jose had won leagues and CL's before us, did it mean he automatically won a league for us ? No.

We have tried all those hiring a top manager and failed, its time to restructure the club.
I said in this same thread that we seem to have a habit of hiring managers based on reputation from a few years before. Obviously, Jose was kinda of exception that when we hired him. Even then, you could see from a mile that he didn't seem right.

It would be nice for once that we go for a manager at their peak or at least doing very well currently.

The United

I'd be disappointed if we had the chance to get ETH but got Pochetinno.

Also, what's the point of having Rangnick in a consultant role if you're going to ignore his consul? :lol:
Exactly. Doubt whatever on the news are true though.

But people will be shocked or would make stuff like how RR was the good guy and whoever else will mess up when shit hits the fan again in the near future.

Fans of this club is looking for a savior at this point.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Wins and clean sheets. I'll take dull football for results till the end of the season. A reasonable expectation for an interim. Results being top 4 and/or a trophy. If the crap football continues then he will move upstairs and we get Ten Haag in the summer.

The United

Wins and clean sheets. I'll take dull football for results till the end of the season. A reasonable expectation for an interim. Results being top 4 and/or a trophy. If the crap football continues then he will move upstairs and we get Ten Haag in the summer.
That's what I am hoping.

I don't care too much about uncertain predictions like throw away this season so that he could implement his style for long term success.

MrSingh2002

some people are underestimating the job that has to be done . Ralf has to get a bunch of players who haven't worked hard enough for many years now to play a system they have never played in before and come completely out of their comfort zone. This is going take more than a few weeks to fix . When you are asking a team to change their Ethos and work ethic it's a massive change. I myself am a coach ( albeit in a different sport ) it can take a very long time to see fruits from the seeds you plant early on in a season. We need to be patient more than likely we may see more of what we have seen until it clicks then we will see success with the new systems and Ethos.
I think you're right too. The only thing Rangnick did wrong was persist with the 4222 too long.

4231 or 433 and I'm sure his style of play could work in the Premier League. With the hardworking midfields in the league I can't see 4222 working anymore for one of the top teams.

I'd love Rangnick to succeed and be offered the full time position. Conte SHOULD have been the one. Rangnick is the one now and I can't see Pochettino being an improvement on Rangnick when he can't make Messi Mbappe and Neymar press either.

Waynne

True.
You can add the in the covid disruptions over the last few weeks as well but yeah people throwing the manager under the bus in a record 1 month in charge is crazy and a new low for this forum.

bond19821982

What do you think mate, of Ralf until now ? I know you were one of the posters who had high regards to him as a coach . I know it's early days but just wanted to know an opinion.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
What do you think mate, of Ralf until now ? I know you were one of the posters who had high regards to him as a coach . I know it's early days but just wanted to know an opinion.
Still early days but the football has been very disappointing to watch. The coach he's brought in (Chris Armas) specialises in winning the ball back after losing possession, which is good, but I'm not sure he's a coach that is of the required level to coach offensive transitions when in possession of the ball, which is a worry. I was hoping Rangnick would bring in someone a bit more recognised to help him both in defensive and offensive transitions, but it seems he's brought in someone who mostly coaches the defensive transitions high up the pitch, and it remains to be seen if he (Armas)succeeds in doing that. It will be up-to Rangnick to make us a more cohesive team in possession, which will eventually define our season as far as getting top 4 imo.

I also think too many of our fans and even the media/pundits are focusing way too much on 'pressing' and not enough focus is on when we're in possession of the ball. I saw someone earlier refer to ten Hag as a 'pressing manager' when in reality they (managers) should be defined by the style of play they want to implement on the team, whilst being in possession of the ball. Pressing/closing down is a default setting for most coaches and we should first and foremost look to impose our game on the opposition in possession of the ball, which will then result in more control and lead to a more coordinated press.

But having said that, he's come into a club with morale low, so he's gonna have to lift spirits if he's to succeed in the short time he's here as head coach.

Daengophile

you have to fit/tweak a system that suits the players not force a squad peg into a round hole.....that is one area i will give Ole credit for is he understood this isn't a possession based team, it is a team that thrived on the counter attack due to the pace we had up front and the lack of ball controlling midfielders

unfortunately those players went off the boil and got him sacked and that has just continued under Ralf along with him trying to implement a system that appears to not suit the players
We have to play the style and formation that is going to win the league. That will mean breaking some eggs

Greck

I also think too many of our fans and even the media/pundits are focusing way too much on 'pressing' and not enough focus is on when we're in possession of the ball. I saw someone earlier refer to ten Hag as a 'pressing manager' when in reality they (managers) should be defined by the style of play they want to implement on the team, whilst being in possession of the ball. Pressing/closing down is a default setting for most coaches and we should first and foremost look to impose our game on the opposition in possession of the ball, which will then result in more control and lead to a more coordinated press.

But having said that, he's come into a club with morale low, so he's gonna have to lift spirits if he's to succeed in the short time he's here as head coach.
I also feel like pressing comes up more than actual possession play. Like we have a love affair with running more than actual ball play. Or could it just be the technical terms of pressing are more easily describable than possession? Pressing is important too but with the upcoming appointment we have a huge choice to make on the kind of football we want to commit to. I'm also worried because this squad seems to absolutely suck in possession principles. The progress Rangnick can make in the next 6 months is everything. My opinion here but I'm not very optimistic because we've played for so long like a long ball team with so many kick and rush merchants. We're a long way from chance creation that doesn't involve hoofing balls into space.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

By the time we get to implement a modern system, it may be outdated or antiquated. Maybe we should just hire a 'visionary' and leapfrog this current pressing approach

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I also feel like pressing comes up more than actual possession play. Like we have a love affair with running more than actual ball play. Or could it just be the technical terms of pressing are more easily describable than possession? Pressing is important too but with the upcoming appointment we have a huge choice to make on the kind of football we want to commit to. I'm also worried because this squad seems to absolutely suck in possession principles. The progress Rangnick can make in the next 6 months is everything. My opinion here but I'm not very optimistic because we've played for so long like a long ball team with so many kick and rush merchants. We're a long way from chance creation that doesn't involve hoofing balls into space.
I agree with you, and we do need major upgrades when it comes to controlling possession at the level we aspire to be at. And the midfield is a obvious place to start and the criteria shouldn't be upgrades on McFred, but rather upgrading to a level where we can be a on a similar level to City.

Nordmore

mean that’s my point people called him a fraud because he didn’t win in his first season nor did he challenge for the title. That’s Pep with a very good squad. So to expect our next manager to come in and perform miracles is highly unrealistic.
Agreed.

Most seem to forget the fact City appointed Txiki Begiristain as DoF in 2012, four years before Pep arrived there.

It's not easy at all to change and modernize a club. One year is the minimum and if everything goes perfectly imo.

Gordon Godot

Agreed.

Most seem to forget the fact City appointed Txiki Begiristain as DoF in 2012, four years before Pep arrived there.

It's not easy at all to change and modernize a club. One year is the minimum and if everything goes perfectly imo.
I keep saying we start with the right football structure and the best appointments. Not not DoF for years and then Flethcher with learner wings. Its pointless moaning about managers, players in a circular blame game until we accept Woodwood is clueless and we have had not decent football decision making for years, including player recruitment. Until this changes, nothing else changes. It also not that hard given our resources to hire the best people. It just needs muppet bankers on ego trips to recognise their limitations.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Good to see Ronaldo come out and back him, after all the reports about Ronaldo wanting to leave it rangnick stays in charge. Ronaldo is right though you need time to change the style of play that players have been use to playing for years, it’s also extremely hard to change the mentality or players. We can still have a successful season but everyone needs to pull together.

Mainoldo

Sure, random message board guy, I’ll take your word and your non-argument over a professional. No problem.
We both have two eyes. Suggest you use yours. Quite a few people agreed with me.. probably because it was bloody obvious what formation we was playing. Maybe go get a freeze frame or look at average positions on a heat map if you want more information that random message board guy;)

bond19821982

Still early days but the football has been very disappointing to watch. The coach he's brought in (Chris Armas) specialises in winning the ball back after losing possession, which is good, but I'm not sure he's a coach that is of the required level to coach offensive transitions when in possession of the ball, which is a worry. I was hoping Rangnick would bring in someone a bit more recognised to help him both in defensive and offensive transitions, but it seems he's brought in someone who mostly coaches the defensive transitions high up the pitch, and it remains to be seen if he (Armas)succeeds in doing that. It will be up-to Rangnick to make us a more cohesive team in possession, which will eventually define our season as far as getting top 4 imo.

Thanks mate. Agree, it's early days. Also think, having Pogba back will make a huge difference in the midfield, atleast for the second half of the season.

Team is extremely unbalanced. Can't believe we are saying this despite spending this much amount of money.

DSG

Exactly this. I don’t understand how people are missing this. If most of this forum were in charge of footballing decisions we’d be liquidated within a day.
Ralf was not hired to help us compete for trophies. He was hired to start the ball rolling of finally modernising Manchester United and phase out the SAF shaped hole that we’ve tried to fill for far, far too long. I don’t recall anyone saying that we were going to win Champions League and Premier League with Ralf, people were more excited as we were finally getting our act together and behaving like a modern club.

His interim manager remit is to basically assess what we have to work with to get us back to the top, like which players need to be fecked off, which players we should keep, which players we can possibly get a tune out of etc. Getting Champions League qualification is a bonus for him in my opinion.

We hired him for what’s happening after this 6 month period really. Thats been Ralfs focus for the past 10 years with the Red Bull project with him mainly being a technical director and once in a while will jump down and be head coach.

If United is a restaurant, then Ralf is primarily the Executive Chef and not the Head Chef.
Utter shite. Complete and utter shite.

You have no idea why Ralf was hired, so stop posting as if you were in the negotiations and have seen Ralf’s KPI/targets.

If I had to guess, given the money at stake, he was hired to 1. Get results and ensure CL qualification AND 2. Improve our footballscouting, recruitment, philosophy, etc

If he’s failing on one of those targets, he’s still a failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.