Ralf Rangnick Press Conference - Aston Villa

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
So what are the answers? :wenger:
It was the bit where Ralph said he knows it cant happen overnight, but they've shown to concede fewer goals since he came. He recognizes controlling the games is important and they need to work on that but they have to juggle that as games come every 3 days. He hinted he may change formations from one game to the next or within games to get that control.

Ogaranya

Ralf should understand by now that we don't have the right players all round to play his preferred 4222 system, a good manager should be flexible in terms of tweaking and adjusting his tactics inorder to highlight the strength of the squad and hide the weakness.

If he wants more control in the middle of the park then a 442 diamond should be considered with Fred, Mctominay, VDB forming a midfield triangle, Bruno sitting on top of it, Ronaldo and Greenwood filling in the front 2 role.

Or a 3421 can be considered with Bruno and VDB sitting behind Ronaldo, McFred anchoring the double pivot, Telles and Dalot in the wingback role while Shaw tucks in as a left CB

Or he can go for a 433 with Bruno taking the left wing and inter-exchanging with Ronaldo and Sancho in the front 3 role while VDB, Fred and Mctominay man the midfield role.

Be tactically flexible, sweet Ralf.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Of course it's the cut-throat world of business but Donny's such a unique case. Bought at expense to essentially sit as an asset, he never starts or plays and just gets 5-10 minutes now and then as cover. It's not economical to have a £40m player on his wages as someone who is used like that. Answer is so obvious, loan him out somewhere he'll play (his reputation can't regress any more than it has through him not playing in essentially 2 years) in order to sell in the summer and, given it's very obvious he's not in the long terms plan, try and sign a CM who will start or, if they are not available in Jan, get in a depth signing for peanuts who will fulfil the exact same role i.e. never play.
Yeah, I agree, it's excessive; and a huge waste of money on United's part. Rangnick is now given an existing situation and can't undo the past though. At this point, his hands may be bound by the limitations of the transfer window - even if I would also think you're right and something could be figured out this window that would give the club an equal or better player, give Van de Beek play time elsewhere (to raise his fee or even come back a better player), and save the club money.
It was the bit where Ralph said he knows it cant happen overnight, but they've shown to concede fewer goals since he came. He recognizes controlling the games is important and they need to work on that but they have to juggle that as games come every 3 days. He hinted he may change formations from one game to the next or within games to get that control.
Right - thanks!

Ixion

The most annoying thing about the excuse for not playing Donny being the competition, maybe if that competition actually felt their position was under threat and they had to play well otherwise someone like him would get a chance they might up their game

Lee565

The bizarre thing is ralf said that beek is great during training so why the hell has this guy been so terribly snubbed for for team starts and to then say it's because of competition? What fred who loses possession so much, matic who is a defensive midfielder only in name at this point, mctominay who is jack off all trades and master of nothing or Fernandes who thinks he's forward more so than midfielder with how far he plays up the pitch.

I also think our goals against record since ralf took charge is very deceiving, we have basically played against teams that generally struggle to score goals and even then we still concede a huge amounts of chances as seen in the fa cup game.

I feel for Henderson, he should have gotten far more starts since he returned to the united and has not been able to capitalise on the great spell at Sheffield United that must have massively boosted his confidence as a keeper. I give credit to Mourinho and how he treated our back up keeper in romero when he was in charge, he should great trust in him in big games in the cup competitions like the Europa league final. Imagine how the likes of henderson and beek feel when our two recent managers are doing the opposite of coming across as if they have no trust in them to perform for our club, that must effect their confidence.

flameinthesun

Both Ole and Ralf play mcfred and matic over him, its pretty clear that despite what fans think from the little games hes played that they don't rate him. I personally don't really think hes any better than mcfred, hes a had a couple decent showings but nothing to write home about.

Lee565

Both Ole and Ralf play mcfred and matic over him, its pretty clear that despite what fans think from the little games hes played that they don't rate him. I personally don't really think hes any better than mcfred, hes a had a couple decent showings but nothing to write home about.
It's hard for him to perform when there is no rhythm to his playing time, let's not forget how god awful fred looked with when he was in the same predicament as beek when he first joined and was barely afforded a start in the team in his first season and even struggling to impress in his second season and now he is seen as an automatic starter under ralf and ole

flameinthesun

It's hard for him to perform when there is no rhythm to his playing time, let's not forget how god awful fred looked with when he was in the same predicament as beek when he first joined and was barely afforded a start in the team in his first season and even struggling to impress in his second season and now he is seen as an automatic starter under ralf and ole

Which is true, but unfortunately you do have to impress in the little game time that you do get and don't think he has done that. Also if the manager views mcfred as the safest pair during a period where we are struggling then vdb will only get the odd couple of minutes here and there. I do agree with you though he definitely hasn't had enough minutes to build up match rhythm, but I also think from what ive seen from him here and at Ajax hes neither creative enough like a pogba or defensive enough like mcfred to force his way into the midfield under these tactics/structure.

RPT_Reddevil

Interesting how Ralf says that we need 2 or 3 top keepers around considering the tournaments that we are in, when we actually have 4 of them on our books. That too without even considering the young ones from U23 or U18. Hope someone has told him about Lee Grant.

This again shows how bad the management & recruitment has been over the past few years, be it with respect to offering new contracts or recruiting in areas where we hardly need any reinforcements.