Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
"Not a big fan of square or back passes"

That's McShite gone so.
Think he'll like Lindelof then, I'm not his biggest fan but he's got an expansive passing range.

Tony247

Let's be honest here. Rangnick won't be able to change the playing style upside down in next 4 months or so, that too from the middle of a season. I am more exicted about his role thereafter.

Roboc7

It’s an exciting choice and it’s someone who will bring new ideas rather than trying to resurrect old ones. Just a shame someone like him wasn’t brought in much sooner in some capacity 3 years ago.

Laurencio

Do you think he gets to spend in January?
I think the power-structure change we are witnessing suggests that recruitment is no longer in the hands of the manager, so yes. There's no reason why he wouldn't be involved in a transfer committee regarding January signings. This is the first evidence of a transition to a modern DoF structure we've seen in regards to the first team. There's no reason to wait for a new permanent manager to be chosen before we get the right signings in.

Maticmaker

Amount of time away from management is a concern but there's no such thing as an ideal interim manager. Seems a good option all things considered.
Sounds like we snapped him up from the joys of retirement!
Hope he's not another LvG (yesterdays man) who had just promised his wife he would retire and take her on a golfing holiday.... but then had to say "Sorry Honey its Man United calling!

TBH don't know much about the man but if he finished in 2019, that is three years away from a high powered role, might be difficult to restart the 'drive engine'.
Lets hope he hadn't already got the pipe and slippers out!!

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Apologies, I'm just in from work and I haven't read all the thread, but I assume this means 'bye-bye Ronaldo' in January maybe certainly summertime, for sure. Didn't this guy basically invent the pressing system? (Sorry if this has already been said).

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
To anyone who really knows this guy and his philosophy. Which players do you think he will like and dislike?
He'll like those who are willing to listen good and work very hard,both off and on the pitch. So far in his career, he has shown little stomach for Divas

We need an rvn

He spent nearly a decade as Leipzig and Salzburg director of football building Leipzig up from the 4th tier with a couple of interim coaching positions with Leipzig in there.
Really not wanting to sound like an asre, but you do know a DOF is completely different from a manager. His recruiting of players and planning a strategy over 10 years is very different from what he is being asked to do now. What he did was amazing, but the pressure from a 4th tier German team is very different from United now.

Has he managed the likes of Ronaldo before, no. Does Ronaldo do high press at age 36, no.

I get that everyone is excited about the godfather of high press take over for a bit, but there are a lot of questions to be answered.

I think he'll be the fix for 6 months as the players will respect his immense knowledge over OGS, but I just have some questions

vanrooney

His record vs Klopp...

13 meetings:
6 wins, 5 draws, 2 losses

I'm happy :)
probably with sap sponsored hoffenheim against the mighty mainz. but regardless of his record he is a perfect fit for the job at front. he must develop structures for the long run

Newtonius

This is really really great if they give him power long term, the season is basically a right off but it gives him 6 months to learn who to get rid of while preparing those that are left for the next manager. Hopefully it signifies the end of Woodward, Judge, Sir Alex, Charlton etc's influence too which will modernise the club entirely.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I've got a feeling Poch is inevitable at this point, his style aligns a lot more with Rangnick's than Ten Hag's. But to be fair, if we've signed Rangnick with the view in mind that his style will transition easily to Poch's then that's genuinely good planning, even if he wouldn't be my personal choice.
I can see why Poch wants to come here - he can have a go and take us back to where we need to be, whilst taking on Tuchel, Klopp, Conte and Pep.

The One thing I think about is how much of a "non Pochettino team" PSG looks (same with Tuchel at PSG) and wonder if he is going to want to manage a club that's being kind of directed by someone else.

At the same time, he did do it under Levy and as you say, the playstyle is similar.

Roane

To anyone who really knows this guy and his philosophy. Which players do you think he will like and dislike?

I don't "know" the guy but I did suggest we needed someone like him if we want to see changes at how the club is run. I got largely ignored to be fair.

I don't think his employment will be about the 6 months or so he will manage. It's more his role afterwards that will see us succeed or fail with him specifically.

In a nutshell as a manager I'm not sure how he stacks up against some of the well known names. His early career www him sacked from most manager jobs. However his ideas and "vision" has always been recognized and he was the original "professor".

His work with Red Bull salsburg/Leipzig was where he really excelled.

I think his role will be more a development role for the club as a whole than just management, he should have come in after the lvg/Jose experiment for me. Rumour is we did contact him 2019.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Be honest how many of you are just happy because it's a german with glasses and good english? I am of course joking.

BorisManUtd

I'll be happy if he gets us top 4. Plenty of time to instill a certain style of football before knockout stages of CL as well.

GMoore23

He's basically considered to be the grandfather of the modern German coaches like Klopp or Nagelsmann. One of the pioneering advocates of high pressing as used today in football.
The same was said of Van Gaal. Now I'm scared.

Laurencio

Really not wanting to sound like an asre, but you do know a DOF is completely different from a manager. His recruiting of players and planning a strategy over 10 years is very different from what he is being asked to do now. What he did was amazing, but the pressure from a 4th tier German team is very different from United now.

Has he managed the likes of Ronaldo before, no. Does Ronaldo do high press at age 36, no.

I get that everyone is excited about the godfather of high press take over for a bit, but there are a lot of questions to be answered.

I think he'll be the fix for 6 months as the players will respect his immense knowledge over OGS, but I just have some questions
This is exactly why I think announcing he will have a consultancy role after the summer and will be replaced is very important news. There will be no confusion as to how long he stays on as manager - and I think that is very important after our stint with Ole. This is a 6 month deal, and then we bring a new man in. As long as we stick to that plan I think players will be fine.

HisNameIsEarl

Good choice - didn't take the rumours seriously, as he has no merits and reputation in premier league so far, but he seems a perfect fit in the current situation.

Has a massive ego and will not accept mediocrity, neither from players, owners or anyone, and he will be very demanding. Great at building up, and with the ressources available, success is certain. Problems may arise later, as he is a control freak and workaholic rather than a team player, but its worth the risk, and though the divorce itself may be painful, the structures he leaves will be substantial.

So all in all, the best news, we could hope for.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Great news, especially is he stays on to help with long term re-structuring. A disciple of Cruyff, the inventor of gegenpressing. An expert in bringing structure to the football side of things, just what the club needs. Would be a good combo with Ten Hag.

SeanyC

Great choice, they may have finally down something right, pro attacking counter pressing coach who can do great with us and later consult for us also. Ed you may finally leave happy on this one but you’re still a gobbo

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
With this move people probably need to forget about that idea. From now on the club is the one spending, our signings should be club signings. If the club has money and Murtough/Rangnick have targets then I assume that we will sign players.

RoyH1

Finally not going with the safe choice. Look forward to seeing his methods. I hope he can have a strong voice in putting the new coaching staff in place.

Fully Fledged

Sounds like we snapped him up from the joys of retirement!
Hope he's not another LvG (yesterdays man) who had just promised his wife he would retire and take her on a golfing holiday.... but then had to say "Sorry Honey its Man United calling!

TBH don't know much about the man but if he finished in 2019, that is three years away from a high powered role, might be difficult to restart the 'drive engine'.
Lets hope he hadn't already got the pipe and slippers out!!
He's bringing her here from the start of the Russian winter. Manchester will seem like the Costa del Sol in comparison. Although I'd love to see a christmas in either Moscow or St Petersburg I wouldn't want to be in either all through January and February.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The same was said of Van Gaal. Now I'm scared.
It's certainly true that being the grandfather of a way of coaching doesn't automatically make you a great choice now. Especially when it's already a decade since one of the coaches you supposedly grandfathered brought those ideas to prominence. Cutting edge this ain't.

But we're far enough behind that even an approach from a decade ago is relatively fresh and the main potential value from this is much less in what he does while interim manager than it is in the influence he could have after in terms of how likely the permanent appointment is to succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.