Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Cause they've all shown themselves to be significantly out of their depth along with Solskjaer. Carrick in particular has lasted through three managerial failings now. Although I've just heard he's bringing in one of his own guys so it's not as bad.
Carrick was hired as a coach in Mourinho's last summer same as McKenna.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Assume you missed that he's saying for two years past that? Just in a different role.
Well obviously not, if he's not the manager he won't be training the team any longer. A different way of shaping the team sure, but he won't be at pitch level training the team like he is now if Ten Hag/Poch come in.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I get that we're not in a position to kick all of these guys out of the club but at least one of them should have left with Ole. How must Ole feel knowing that these four are equally responsible for the state we're in and yet he was the only one to be singled out?
I love Ole - but I’ve never known the coaching staff to be dug out the way the media and this place has done when a manager has quite clearly lost the players. They weren’t equally responsible were they? Of course the manager takes most of the responsibility.

Wezzaldo

I bet DVB is doing cartwheels around his house. He fits perfectly into his style of play.

Idxomer

Why is everyone convinced Carrick was a coach under LVG? He played for another couple of years after his sacking.

TheReligion

Abusive
Well obviously not, if he's not the manager he won't be training the team any longer. A different way of shaping the team sure, but he won't be at pitch level training the team like he is now if Ten Hag/Poch come in.
No but he's brought in to shape the direction the club is taking. He's going to have influence beyond 6 months. Quite a bit I would imagine, including helping get the right players and coach in to fit the vision.

klsv

Why is everyone convinced Carrick was a coach under LVG? He played for another couple of years after his sacking.
Someone actually said that? He started coaching under Jose, continued with Ole.

AussieDevil

Carrick will have played under Fergie and LVG and been assistant under Mourinho and now Rangnick. If he can pick up a few qualities from each, he might be able to make one hell of a manager himself in a couple of years.

thebelfastboy

To the tune of 'Just one Cornetto'

"It's Lars Kornetka,
Bring him to meeeeee,
Delicious coaching,
From Germany"

George The Best

I’m pleased as punch with this news. Lot of players going to get a big kick up the arse. Not sure this squad are capable of playing to his philosophy, but time will tell. Martial needs to learn how to run for a start

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
You aren't aware he's staying on at the club for another two years in a different role?
And that's long term is it? In this vague "consultancy" role working with his mate Murtough? I'm not saying it isn't a genius long term plan but I'll believe it when I see it.

the_cliff

I like that he's one of the "you will do as I say because I'm clearly correct" types of Germans and not the "you will do as I say otherwise I will throw a chair at you" kind of German. Or even the "look at my silly hat and farting whoopee cushion" kind of German.

Essentially we're getting a Mercedes-Benz instead of a Brabus or a Mini.

He could possibly be one of those "welcome to my town, please eat and drink everything in my house" Germans but I don't know what kind of car that would be.
Volkswagen Beatle

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
No but he's brought in to shape the direction the club is taking. He's going to have influence beyond 6 months. Quite a bit I would imagine, including helping get the right players and coach in to fit the vision.
Ok well my point was he's got 6 months at pitch level to turn the side into his image.

Obviously he can still influence beyond that but i'm not sure just how much? a consultancy role doesn't sound very involved personally. Maybe more of a scouting/DOF style role.

TheReligion

Abusive
And that's long term is it? In this vague "consultancy" role working with his mate Murtough? I'm not saying it isn't a genius long term plan but I'll believe it when I see it.
Well what's long term to you?

It's a sensible and well thought out move by the club. If you want to moan about it or try and pick holes then that's cool. Perhaps try being positive though. Life's much more enjoyable!

Rolaholic

Very thorough breakdown on what to expect from him at the helm and the long-term vision he'll look to implement at the club

TheReligion

Abusive
Ok well my point was he's got 6 months at pitch level to turn the side into his image.

Obviously he can still influence beyond that but i'm not sure just how much? a consultancy role doesn't sound very involved personally. Maybe more of a scouting/DOF style role.
I'm not sure why everyone is getting hung up on the consultancy thing. He's not even arrived yet for the manager role. His latter one will become more widely defined in due course.

Ultimately it's been said he only wanted the job if he had an influential position afterwards where he could shape a project. He turned Chelsea down for the same reason.

It's more logical to think he's going to be involved than some distant voice with no power based on that alone and what we know about him as a person.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
The most hilarious thing about this whole situation is how meticulous the board, Murtough et Al were with making this decision, both to sack Ole and to hire Ralf.

The fact that they interviewed numerous candidates, the fact that they were looking for something in particular, the fact that Ralf was contacted in the first place, due to Murtough.

Just shows that as poor as some decisions have been, the board do actually think about things and ultimately have the interests of the club at heart.

The way some throw crap at the board and the club in general in here really grinds my gears, just wish people would see the bigger picture.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
The most hilarious thing about this whole situation is how meticulous the board, Murtough et Al were with making this decision, both to sack Ole and to hire Ralf.

The fact that they interviewed numerous candidates, the fact that they were looking for something in particular, the fact that Ralf was contacted in the first place, due to Murtough.

Just shows that as poor as some decisions have been, the board do actually think about things and ultimately have the interests of the club at heart.

The way some throw crap at the board and the club in general in here really grinds my gears, just wish people would see the bigger picture.
Jeez, it appears Deadwood has multiple accounts on this website.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite

I think people are entitled to be impatient with the board. They have a track record of making some fecking dire decisions that are often based on revenue and not football. It's a pleasant change to see them make a football decision for once but don't expect fans to be dancing in the street and singing their names just yet.

croadyman

Was always my ideal choice because he offers us something on and off the pitch. However knowing how badly this club has been ran for last 16 years didn't expect for us to get him.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
The Glazers must be pissing their pants at the thought of him turning us into some machine that buys and sells players for profit.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
"I always say to the players 'Vorsprung durch technik' which means 'through the stars we overcome adversity' " - Ralf Rangnick, 2010

How must Ole feel knowing that these four are equally responsible for the state we're in and yet he was the only one to be singled out?
How the feck are coaches, working under the instruction of a manager, “equally responsible” :lol:

They coach what the manager instructs them. Be it Mourinho, Ole or Ragnick. A top manager will ensure they know exactly what they are supposed to be doing.

As I said earlier, Phelan “coached” us to a PL and CL double.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ok, agreed. But then let's turn it around. Which top club is there where Pochettino would have more power than at Manchester United and where he would not have to work under/alongside a DoF? Man United was the only exception left, really.

And adding to that, the newly introduced DoF structure might have been strengthened, or doubled down on, with Murtough bringing in Rangnick to support him, but it's still not that encoded into the club as it is at all other top clubs, isn't it?

By the way, I'm not saying that this means Pochettino can or will be hired, or Ten Hag wouldn't be. Just saying, Pochettino might agree to swallow the pill and it could work well.
I agree, I can't really can't see many 'giant clubs' hiring Poch, so I'm gonna presume he'll swallow his pride and become the head coach assuming he's offered the job, which I'm not sure they will.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Players who will love this - Sancho, Donny and Rashford

Players who won't - Maguire, Martial and Ronny

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
"I always say to the players 'Vorsprung durch technik' which means 'through the stars we overcome adversity' " - Ralf Rangnick, 2010
Damn, he sold a Disney movie quote to Woodward. :eek:

Stig

The consultancy question has come up a few times.
Rangnick and his assistant, Lars Konetka, run a consultancy firm which advices clubs on their growth strategy and structure.
He is putting this business on hold whilst he does the interim manager job at United.

Although the board had said that the interim was to work with the current staff he will be bringing Lars with him. This seems to a concession from the board.

After the 6 months when he is a consultant he will not be exclusive to United but will provide consultancy to United and to the other clubs that he currently has consultancy contracts with; so this is a great way for him to grow that business. He becomes very high profile and has United on his CV as a client for at least 2 years.

Source: Manchester United Picks Ralf Rangnick as Interim Manager - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

OverratedOpinion

The consultancy question has come up a few times.
Rangnick and his assistant, Lars Konetka, run a consultancy firm which advices clubs on their growth strategy and structure.
He is putting this business on hold whilst he does the interim manager job at United.

Although the board had said that the interim was to work with the current staff he will be bringing Lars with him. This seems to a concession from the board.

After the 6 months when he is a consultant he will not be exclusive to United but will provide consultancy to United and to the other clubs that he currently has consultancy contracts with; so this is a great way for him to grow that business. He becomes very high profile and has United on his CV as a client for at least 2 years.

Source: Manchester United Picks Ralf Rangnick as Interim Manager - The New York Times (nytimes.com)
Good for him, we fecking need it.

Regalia

Underwhelming. The only thing to hope for is that his reputation holds some water (style of play, influencing the clowns upstairs from a footballing perspective) and he is actually useful for us in that 2-year tenure as a 'consultant', whatever that means. People getting excited over a relative nobody manager who has not had any success at the highest levels is quite amusing. This guy reminds me of Bielsa, where they preach a bunch but haven't really turned that into any sort of success on the pitch in the last 15 years. Praying we have a solid plan for a 'real' elite manager come summer. Still, guess anything is better than Ole at this point.

Gilgamesh

Supports
Bayern, and others
I'll be honest, I had literally never heard of this man until his name began to come up in discussions about Ole's replacement. Never heard his name spoken or written in my life until that point. Looking at his Wikipedia page, he has never really won anything and has managed a bunch of random not-Bayern-or-Dortmund clubs in Germany, the only one of which I have any real point of reference being RB Leipzig. Can anybody please tell me who the hell this guy is? A lot of people have talked about wanting him, but I had genuinely never heard his name until this month.
You'll find a lot of information on him in this thread. But one anecdote to show what he's capable of: After a weaker start into the season in 2006 he was fired by the typical dysfunctional Schalke after finishing second in the Bundesliga a year before. A move quite some Schalke fans regret until today.

Then I thought he got crazy when he took a job in the third league at Hoffenheim, which was backed by a German billionaire. At that time Hoffenheim got stuck in the third league, after marching through from the eight league. Even money and Hansi Flick as manager couldn't get them promoted for 4 seasons out of the third league. But then Rangnick came, decided he would only buy young and fast players under 21 and play pressing like crazy. He marched through to the Bundesliga and finished first in the table at Christmas 2008 - it was nuts! It went only downhill after he lost at Bayern 2-1 in December, but I was astonished how they played Bayern, who were very lucky to win that game. That season they finished seventh and I finally realised that he was not crazy but a genius.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
I have seen a few poaters say maguire won't suit him, why? Surely cbs are the least effected by his style of football.
He has a big thing about never passing sideways, or being a complete and total gowl with the ball at your feet. Maguire tends to gowl around a lot and does a lot of sideways/backwards passing. Also, Maguire slow AF. Refrigerators aren't good at playing a high line.

Status
Not open for further replies.