Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Can we stop with this? Cristiano Ronaldo, the most disciplined

In one of the many YT videos Ragnick talks about building a squad that's not only well-suited to the style of play but also young and able to be developed for the sake of moving them on in a few years time for 2-3x their value.

He's getting tons and tons of credit all around for his "philosophy". This tweet, while it may seem a bit like sour grapes, also highlights the other aspect about Ragnick that probably endeared him to the likes of Woodchuck , which is he is a ruthless and astute businessman. For better or worse, United need the best of both so really have to say Ragnick is the perfect fit moving from interim to consultancy.
It's not that, he's incredible - but it's more the demand of a constant press from up-top that may not fit in with Ronaldo's current style of play.

redrobed

Kloppy is full of praise for him so pretty exciting for us. Sounds like he’s decent. Kind of positive that we’re going for someone basically no-one’s heard of after our high profile appointments of the past.

TheReligion

Abusive

I dream of Nagelsmann coaching Man Utd someday. He's a young guy, plenty of time for that to become a reality in the future.
Unfortunately like most Europeans he looks like he gets dressed in the dark.

If he moves to England though I guess we can improve his dress sense and fashion awareness.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Having hair and dying it really makes a big difference to looking young when you get to that age.
*As a scientist he probably knows that 80% of skin damage is caused by UV and not aging and so he puts on SPF 50 every day in winter and in summer

*to be read in a German accent

captaincantona

Kloppy is full of praise for him so pretty exciting for us. Sounds like he’s decent. Kind of positive that we’re going for someone basically no-one’s heard of after our high profile appointments of the past.
Rangnick is quite well known and most people who know anything about Klopp or Tuchel or certainly the rise of Julien Naglesmann will hold him in high regard. I wouldn’t call him an appointment “no one has heard of”...that is certainly not the case...what is extremely positive is the forward nature thinking of the appointment and the technical and detailed nature of the individual they have hired. It is truly exciting...even more so if he is involved in identifying the long term manager at the end of this season. This whole thing is very un-United...

romufc

He was literally the one most fans wanted as interim.

Also, a few years back when we were looking for a DOF, he was the name most fans wanted. He is definitely heard of, he is a massive name in Germany also.

spiriticon

Looking at his past, I think he genuinely enjoys building a small club up from scratch and taking them to the dizzy heights, hence why he prefers such roles.

Why has he decided that Man United is the right opportunity for him at this stage in his career? Who knows.

Maybe the 'United is a sleeping giant that needs awakening' narrative appeals to him.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Looking at his past, I think he genuinely enjoys building a small club up from scratch and taking them to the dizzy heights, hence why he prefers such roles.

Why has he decided that Man United is the right opportunity for him at this stage in his career? Who knows.

Maybe the 'United is a sleeping giant that needs awakening' narrative appeals to him.
If you read up on him, he's been a long admirer of the English game and he loves himself a bit (especially in a professional sense).

This is his chance to cement his legacy and prove to the doubters he can do it at the highest of levels.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Definitely. He was about such a role for years, did not happen at AC Milan and Chelsea for him in the last two or three years, as they did not want to give him the power he wanted when they were in talks.

captaincantona

Exactly this...United were a formidable and feared machine under the drive of Sir Alex and have become a shambles...they are in the almost unique position of being a global brand leader with massive Revenue and revenue potential without actually having a good product at the centre of the business model. This guy is more than just a coach as seen from the roles he has taken on in the last ten years...and probably sees a legacy project here. If he can return Man Utd to the top table with a sustainable structure it will be quite a remarkable achievement...on par with what he has done so far with smaller clubs but will be undoubtedly what he would be revered for most if he succeeds.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Anything from Gary Neville ?
Scared that a new German guy is going to come in and rip everything up and re-build us in a modern/German style of football and the class of 92 will have no inside ties to the club anymore probably!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Scared that a new German guy is going to come in and rip everything up and re-build us in a modern/German style of football and the class of 92 will have no inside ties to the club anymore probably!
If ManUtd wins the trophies, there won't be many who will be happier than him.

Classical Mechanic

*As a scientist he probably knows that 80% of skin damage is caused by UV and not aging and so he puts on SPF 50 every day in winter and in summer

*to be read in a German accent
True. Of course the irony of the beauty industry is that the only real anti-aging cream is suncream yet so many women spend £1000s on bogus anti-aging products and go and cook themselves on a sunbed or at the beach.

Hoof the ball

The more and more I look up coaches who are of his ilk, the more I'm convinced, like @Adnan that we could end up going for someone like Adi Hutter, rather than the assumed targets in either Pochettino or Ten Hag.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Definitely. He was about such a role for years, did not happen at AC Milan and Chelsea for him in the last two or three years, as they did not want to give him the power he wanted when they were in talks.
Yeah, we're basically benefitting from Stefano Pioli doing a Solskajer: Coming in as interim and becoming impossible to move for the Milan Board. But for that Ragnick would be in Milan right now...

...I'm delighted he's not. Cos, for me, Rangnick is exactly what we need at Man Utd.

The more and more I look up coaches who are of his ilk, the more I'm convinced, like @Adnan that we could end up going for someone like Adi Hutter, rather than the assumed targets in either Pochettino or Ten Hag.
Put £10 on Jesse Marsch.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
This guy is someone who's better at delivering his knowledge to the coaches rather than the players. But that is obviously why he's being kept for 2 years in a consultant position. I think the ambition here is to educate the coaching staff and let them deal with the players.

I'm 100% onboard with the excitement of something new, but I'd advice caution for anyone expecting a magician in the dugout, he's not that. He's more of a building block that more talented managers have learned from (Klopp, Tuchel)
Your 2nd paragraph is exactly how I feel. Excited we are trying a different approach, not expecting the treble this season nor becoming the best team in Europe overnight.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Marsch is failing at Leipzig though, doubt he will be a candidate.
His failing an accurate statement? While they didn't hit the ground running, losing Sabitzer, Upamecano and Konaté isn't nothing.

Marsch is failing at Leipzig though, doubt he will be a candidate.
Marsch does not have Leipzig in a great position at present. However, there's lots of the season left to play.

Rangnick knows Marsch well and, its reported, Rangnick will have an input into United's next head coach. He will not judge Marsh's entire career just by this season, whatever happens. What Marsh did at RB Salzburg won't have just fallen off Rangnick's radar.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
His failing an accurate statement? While they didn't hit the ground running, losing Sabitzer, Upamecano and Konaté isn't nothing.
True, but he is clueless tactically, plays a rarely rewarded high risk game and spouts nonsense about passion etc in his Interviews.

JPRouve

Scout
True, but he is clueless tactically, plays a rarely rewarded high risk game and spouts nonsense about passion etc in his Interviews.
I would say, give it time. While he could definitely fail and not be good enough for a higher level than Salzburg, young managers learn on the job. We will see if he adapts and adopts a more efficient approach.

LDUred

If Gary Neville and Paul Scholes really care about Manchester United, they should simply shut up.

Both were barnacles on a sinking ship in Ole's torturous last months when pretty much everyone had called time on his reign. They have no credibility as pundits and are just tarnishing their legacies.

It will only take a few iffy results and performances before they start clamoring for Carrick or some other member of the 'old guard' to take over.

Danillaco

It's not that, he's incredible - but it's more the demand of a constant press from up-top that may not fit in with Ronaldo's current style of play.
He's pressing is not harassing players, but cutting off passing lines (kinda what McT does, but not against his own teammates), I think he said that in one of the videos. He would do just fine, I guess. Wasn't one of his older teams pressing led by Raul post Madrid?

RopersReturn

Things we know about Rangnick... he worked for the Red Bull group of clubs in Germany and he's obsessed with players' fitness. So things could get interesting for Lukozade Shaw.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I would say, give it time. While he could definitely fail and not be good enough for a higher level than Salzburg, young managers learn on the job. We will see if he adapts and adopts a more efficient approach.
Salzburg are already very happy that Jaissle brought stability to the team after what Marsch did. It was spectacular, but not always successful.

I don't see Marsch in the mix, he is clearly worse than Hasenhüttl ever was, and he wasn't seen as good enough for Leipzig to go forward, so Rangnick let him go.

JPRouve

Scout
He's pressing is not harassing players, but cutting off passing lines (kinda what McT does, but not against his own teammates), I think he said that in one of the videos. He would do just fine, I guess. Wasn't one of his older teams pressing led by Raul post Madrid?
In theory you do both, some players harass the ball carrier and others cut passing lanes and set traps.

Salzburg are already very happy that Jaissle brought stability to the team after what Marsch did. It was spectacular, but not always successful.

I don't see Marsch in the mix, he is clearly worse than Hasenhüttl ever was, and he wasn't seen as good enough for Leipzig to go forward, so Rangnick let him go.
Fair enough.

jbwilliamz

You can imagine what these managers like klopp, pep must be telling their team about united before the game.
In fairness to Solskjaer, his record versus Pep was very good in comparison to other managers (similar to Klopp).

Status
Not open for further replies.