Ralf Rangnick's consultancy role has been scrapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoc

I don't think so. Nearly all of those are peripheral players. That is not what we are talking about.
True but it's a process that will take 1-2 years and maybe longer, I think even Ralf acknowledged that did he not?

And come on, it's not as if making changes to the core if the team, including selling or dropping 2 or 3 key players, is an extraordinary and unheard of thing. It's quite feasible, given will.
I didn't say it was, all I said is it isn't straight forward. Especially if you are trying to bring in 4-5 CL quality players on a budget while all you have to offer is EL football.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
I get what you're saying mate but saying something needs done is easy enough but actually achieving it often isn't as straight forward.

If we are to assume Ralf meant 8-10 new players over 2 summer transfer windows with a decent clear out as well. Then it looks like the club are trying to achieve that with varying amounts of success are they not?

Players out- Pogba, Cavani, Mata, Lingard, Matic, Grant, Pereira, Henderson, Telles with possibly AWB, Bailly and Jones following. So probably at least 10 players out by the end of the window.

Players in- Malacia, Martinez, Eriksen, with possibly Rabiot, DeJong and a forward arriving that could be 6 new arrivals by the end of the window.

Repeat that next summer and the squad would will be drastically different to the one that finished last season. Whether it will be better who can say and whether or not that's exactly what Ralf had in mind again who knows but it's clear that the club and ETH are trying to reshape the squad even if it doesn't seem to be going exactly to plan. And to be fair the DeJong unpaid wages saga and Ronaldo deciding he wants to leave a few days before pre-season are both things out of the club and Ten Hag's control.

You don't want to answer, no worries mate.
I didn't answer because it made no sense again.
Give Ralf a pre season and transfers give Eric a pre season and transfers and then it would be comparable.
Eric should do well better than Ralf considering he has bought in his own players and had a pre season with them.

Last edited:

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
In hindsight its a miracle we didn't finish in the bottom half.
You lot are taking the piss. He took the job, he brought in the back room staff, he alienated players, he made his role untenable. He did those things to himself. Nobody did it to him. Nobody has said he was wrong, he was basically saying what had already been discussed on here. Personally, I felt he should have communicated it in private to the people who needed to know.

So in summary, he did some things that were right and resonated with how a lot of posters on here felt, which is why he is now cafgard with a legion of disciples..... But,

He was shit as a manager, he did quantifiably worse than Ole and every other manager post SAF.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
You lot are taking the piss. He took the job, he brought in the back room staff, he alienated players, he made his role untenable. He did those things to himself. Nobody did it to him. Nobody has said he was wrong, he was basically saying what had already been discussed on here. Personally, I felt he should have communicated it in private to the people who needed to know.

So in summary, he did some things that were right and resonated with how a lot of posters on here felt, which is why he is now cafgard with a legion of disciples..... But,

He was shit as a manager, he did quantifiably worse than Ole and every other manager post SAF.
He didn't but keep making shit up

afrocentricity

He didn't but keep making shit up
He did though :confused:

He had pretty much the same players Ole started the season with, redcafe was pretty optimistic at the time. feck me that 4222 was horrible....

Rightnr

He did though :confused:

He had pretty much the same players Ole started the season with, redcafe was pretty optimistic at the time. feck me that 4222 was horrible....
Go look it up somewhere in the last 10 pages. He had higher points per game than OGS in the final season. Any other comparison is nonsensical or moot

afrocentricity

Go look it up somewhere in the last 10 pages. He had higher points per game than OGS in the final season. Any other comparison is nonsensical or moot
:lol: why because you say so? The football was horrible in the beginning and not much better by the end, what was good about any of it?

Ralf Cafgod got you good....

Rightnr

:lol: why because you say so? The football was horrible in the beginning and not much better by the end, what was good about any of it?

Ralf Cafgod got you good....
Because you compare like for like. Am I talking to a child?

afrocentricity

Because you compare like for like. Am I talking to a child?
Interim period for interim period? Ole still comes out on top..... I know you hate the guy but don't let it cloud your judgement.

C'est Moi Cantona

I really liked Ralf, hopefully he'll still be about when the Glazers have been driven out of town, and we are a serious club again.

R'hllor

So 2 managers had same players at their disposal for lets say X month each, some comparing work of those 2 with same squad and thats moving a goal posts :lol:

R'hllor

Interim period for interim period? Ole still comes out on top..... I know you hate the guy but don't let it cloud your judgement.
Nobody can question that but why you comparing interim job of Ole with squad A vs interim job of RR with squad B

mu4c_20le

So 2 managers had same players at their disposal for lets say X month each, some comparing work of those 2 with same squad and thats moving a goal posts :lol:
You can compare their interim spells only and Ralf still doesn't look good.

afrocentricity

Nobody can question that but why you comparing interim job of Ole with squad A vs interim job of RR with squad B
Because of the excuses dished out for RR such as "not his players" "couldn't sign his players" "no pre season" etc...

But mostly because the guy above said like for like. Personally I think it should be apparent to everyone that he was shit here as a manager, so it's interesting when that view gets challenged.

captaincantona

i think he went for a beer with Klopp and Tuchel after he got shafted and the three of them pissed themselves at the fuking state of this club. They also pissed themselves at the fact that Utd got rid of the first person in years that spoke any common sense and called out the fuking ineptitude of all involved.

We are a joke.

R'hllor

You can compare their interim spells only and Ralf still doesn't look good.
No, you can compare all kinds of stuff, how one shitter look vs another utter shitter doesnt interest me, was just wondering about logic behind it.

R'hllor

Because of the excuses dished out for RR such as "not his players" "couldn't sign his players" "no pre season" etc...

But mostly because the guy above said like for like. Personally I think it should be apparent to everyone that he was shit here as a manager, so it's interesting when that view gets challenged.
Those aint excuses, just facts, same goes for Ole vs JM squad that was left to him. Regarding second point, dunno who is mental enough to claim that RR didnt do shit job as manager regardless of heavy damage done to United by Ole.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
RR had the lowest win percentage of all Man Utd managers since Frank O'Farrell (1972).
Well except ETH.

Or maybe the problem is we have a squad of players who can no more play high press football than an elephant can ice skate?

tomaldinho1

This is one of the most illogical things I have seen on the caf. It's pointless comparing managers because they rarely have the same situation but Ole sack season/Ragnick interim is as close as you can get. Same exact team, zero signings for Ragnick - same opposition.

mu4c_20le

This is one of the most illogical things I have seen on the caf. It's pointless comparing managers because they rarely have the same situation but Ole sack season/Rangnick interim is as close as you can get. Same exact team, zero signings for Rangnick - same opposition.
Still a higher win percentage than Ralf, believe it or not. Ralf only has 11 wins in 31.

afrocentricity

This is one of the most illogical things I have seen on the caf. It's pointless comparing managers because they rarely have the same situation but Ole sack season/Rangnick interim is as close as you can get. Same exact team, zero signings for Rangnick - same opposition.
Ole was shit last season, he was decent before that, and that interim period had people giddy as feck. Ralf was shit last season. This is how I see things. All this pining for Ralf baffles me because we didn't see anything great from him. He said some shit? Woohoo!

It's entirely possible that he would be as bad as he was as manager, as a consultant or DOF. I'm sure nobody out of all the people involved in this thought he'd be so bad as a manager for us but MUFC is a different beast, a lot of people have come with reputations, and failed.

tomaldinho1

Still a higher win percentage than Ralf, believe it or not. Ralf only has 11 wins in 31.
Yes I'm not arguing for/against either but bizarre you wouldn't compare the same season under to managers, probably the only time it's useful to do so.

Ole was shit last season, he was decent before that, and that interim period had people giddy as feck. Ralf was shit last season. This is how I see things. All this pining for Ralf baffles me because we didn't see anything great from him. He said some shit? Woohoo!

It's entirely possible that he would be as bad as he was as manager, as a consultant or DOF. I'm sure nobody out of all the people involved in this thought he'd be so bad as a manager for us but MUFC is a different beast, a lot of people have come with reputations, and failed.
No one is pining for Ralf as a coach, he's not an elite coach. You were trying to say it was better to compare Ole's interim period in 2018 with Ralf's interim period in 2021...that makes no sense whatsoever. It's obviously possible Ralf wouldn't be good as a DoF but is it likely or not he'd be better than the current incumbent who has zero experience in that role prior? That's what people are angry about.

Rightnr

And I am going to be pedantic as well - Ralf lost Greenwood who could and did literally win us games by himself and by January, both Cavani and Lingard wanted to leave but were not allowed to and performed accordingly.

All in all, Ralf crashed and burned and I expected EtH to do much better with the remaining players of his squad but we are seeing now who's really to blame for our atrocious season last year.

afrocentricity

Yes I'm not arguing for/against either but bizarre you wouldn't compare the same season under to managers, probably the only time it's useful to do so.

No one is pining for Ralf as a coach, he's not an elite coach. You were trying to say it was better to compare Ole's interim period in 2018 with Ralf's interim period in 2021...that makes no sense whatsoever. It's obviously possible Ralf wouldn't be good as a DoF but is it likely or not he'd be better than the current incumbent who has zero experience in that role prior? That's what people are angry about.
Your basically just choosing to favour one set of variables "whos team" "no preseason" "no staff" for another "same players" "same season" etc. It's neither here nor there to me the guy was crap as a manager, and hasn't left me with confidence you guys seem to have. He could work out here.... he could send the club into another tails spin like the one we seem to be in now. Who knows?

It was the guy above that was looking at comparisons between the two as if they werent both shit for us last season. The only thing for me is that he made a shit situation worse!

frostbite

So, you want to compare Ole last year to RR last year?

Ole was atrocious last year, and that's why he was sacked.

RR was equally atrocious last year, and that's why he was terminated.

Both were losers and failures. Neither had anything to offer.

Happy?

I keep seeing this, but is it based on anything or is it just one of those things that people say because why not?

I mean, we knew we were getting a new manager in. Rangnick’s “consultancy” role was vague to begin with.

What are people basing their “was sacked for telling the truth” assessments on?
He told the club what was necessary. The Glazers were never going to appoint strong and independent minds into key positions, such as CEO, as Ragnick wanted. Rangnick wasn't a yes man, he was prepared to speak openly about the state of the club, including the performance of the owners, thus he had to go.

tomaldinho1

So, you want to compare Ole last year to RR last year?

Ole was atrocious last year, and that's why he was sacked.

RR was equally atrocious last year, and that's why he was terminated.

Both were losers and failures. Neither had anything to offer.

Happy?
Learn to read the post, understand the context and then reply in the future.

I chucked at ‘terminated’ though.

tomaldinho1

Your basically just choosing to favour one set of variables "whos team" "no preseason" "no staff" for another "same players" "same season" etc. It's neither here nor there to me the guy was crap as a manager, and hasn't left me with confidence you guys seem to have. He could work out here.... he could send the club into another tails spin like the one we seem to be in now. Who knows?

It was the guy above that was looking at comparisons between the two as if they werent both shit for us last season. The only thing for me is that he made a shit situation worse!
What are you talking about? I didn’t say any of that stuff. I said the period you dismissed is actually the only logical period you can compare them.

TsuWave

He told the club what was necessary. The Glazers were never going to appoint strong and independent minds into key positions, such as CEO, as Rangnick wanted. Rangnick wasn't a yes man, he was prepared to speak openly about the state of the club, including the performance of the owners, thus he had to go.
This doesn’t really answer my question, thanks though.

This doesn’t really answer my question, thanks though.
Basically, Rangnick should have been here for two more years, working alongside ETH, as we all know. However, Rangnick wouldn't be controlled or censored as the owners had intended and hoped. He worried them with his honesty. Suddenly his role wasn't required. Of course there are two sides to every story, but that's the impression I have been left with, having read and listened to numerous media sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.