Ralf Rangnick's consultancy role has been scrapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoc

Wasn't it? He was appointed as interim manager until we get our man. Then he was supposed to take the director of football role.

It's a shame he is gone. We needed a no-non sense type of guy, who was not afraid to speak the truths we need to hear.

Feels the owners have sided with the players agents.
At no point was he ever supposed to be taking up any sort of permanent role within the club. Obviously the 2 year consultancy job was only to replace the contract he was leaving at Lokomotiv.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Fair enough, that's what I read all these years.
In 2012 Rangnick was appointed as director of Football for Salzburg while Houiller was appointed as Global Football director. Houiller was the highest football man and was later replaced by Mintzlaf, his deputy, as the most senior director.

SuperiorXI

Not really a big deal

we have Ten Hag, anyone losing their shit needs to simmer down
Seen people saying we could of got a manger in, like who? Conte? And be in the same position when the glaziers don’t give him who he wants and walks out
I'm sick of seeing people talking about Conte. He really would have been a disaster here, he is absolutely not what the club needs to move forward right now. The club needed ETH and reform behind the scenes.

The sacking of Rangnick is not a major blow to that goal since by all accounts Rangnick was only going to be consulting. His was not going to be any sort of major role. People need to calm down.

ExoduS

What a waste of time this guy was. Terrible decision to bring him on. Most useless manager yet!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
In 2012 Rangnick was appointed as director of Football for Salzburg while Houiller was appointed as Global Football director. Houiller was the highest football man and was later replaced by Mintzlaf, his deputy, as the most senior director.
Thanks, I didn't read in detail, just articles saying he is the man behind Leipzig and Hoffenheim growth.

Also I don't understand why everyone is assuming it's the decision taken by the club, good chance it was Rangnick's decision.

SuperiorXI

Honest people are not welcome at this club.
As fans it was great to hear Rangnick's insights but if I were in charge of the club it wouldn't be good at all. I would prefer it be dealt with in house. It is not surprising that he was let go.

Honesty is perfect but keep it in house, don't hurt the club by airing it publicly. That's also a sure fire way to create a toxic atmosphere.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think it’s no more than it just adding another layer of confusion. Murtough is the DoF not Rangnick. He needs to succeed or fail by his decisions. Plus we have a very determined single minded boss now, we don’t need Rangnick .
Fair enough. If Rangnick was chosen solely as a temporary manager

a- United's choice as a temporary manager had been a disaster. Rangnick's win rate was horrible, we failed to make it top 4
b- the club offered a consultancy role to Rangnick which proved itself to be redundant and embarrassing to the club.

Someone should take responsibility alongside many many other bad decisions taken throughout the season including insisting on Ole despite his disastrous Liverpool result and letting players walk on free when we could have made some money out of them (Pogba, Lingard etc). At one point Woodward can't be used as a scapegoat anymore.

slored1

What a shitshow. Another terrible Glazer decision, amateur club.

Lyng

Hoffenheim is not United. These are smaller clubs in Germany.

At United, everything you do is scrutinized. This is a man that stopped managing Schalke when he was failing in 2011 because of fatigue. I don't think he actually had the capacity to do the job despite how smart he sounded when talking about it. I don't think he was prepared for the task and the comments and complaints he keeps providing the press speak to that.

You don't think Ancelotti has had his problems with the Madrid dressing room this season or in the past. Do you think Zidane didn't have to deal with issues within his dressing room. Managers like Luis Enrique and Valverde constantly had to deal with scrutiny both from the press and the dressing room at any sign of a bad performance. You think Bayern's established and cocky locker room with characters like Neuer, Muller, Lewandowski and young ones like Sane aren't difficult to deal with. Even in England, because we don't hear leaks doesn't mean there aren't issues within City and Liverpool's dressing rooms either. That's the nature of being at a big club. Managing those issues is part of the job. Coming out to the press and complaining at every term simply showed how ill suited he was for it. At least with Mourinho, you could always argue that there was an idea behind it. He finished 6th in his first season here ( Mourinho) yet always ensured that he defended the players and didn't give much negativity about the club to the press despite what he might have been thinking. It's only when he had the issues with Pogba in his third season that things started falling apart.

What exactly should Murtough have shown. He's not a manager. He got Varane, Ronaldo and Sancho into the team this summer. What did VDS and Overmars show before being in their roles? Also understand, Ajax are also smaller than United. Yes they are Holland's biggest team, but having national coverage is so much different that running the biggest, most supported team in world football. If you want to berate our leadership team next to Bayern, Madrid or Barca's that's fair. However, the task at a club like this is different to almost any other club
Again you are talking about managers. Rangnick was never a spectacular manager. Surely this reflects badly on Murtough given he wanted Rangnick

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
What a shitshow. Another terrible Glazer decision, amateur club.
Joel probably doesn't know who Rangnick is. We have football people taking football decisions now

Suv666

Ragnick used us for clout and fecked off to greener pastures.
Disasterclass

Idxomer

Not gonna read 17 pages :lol:

But what a pointless appointment he turned out to be, should've just hired Rudi Garcia.

C'est Moi Cantona

In hindsight, appointing Ralf was a big mistake in short term. But there is no point compounding that mistake by still having him here. I think during the stint, he not only lost respect within the squad but also within the hierarchy. I know fans loved Ralf spouting all the stuff in public, however true or not and however much it was in self-preservation or actually wanting good for the club. But that sorta thing never turns out good and never helps garner respect in any sorta organization. And without respect, you don't have the power (unless you are the overlord).
I don't get what the issue was with him saying what he did in public, alot of it was just basic stuff that everyone knew already, he never said anything that was contaversal at all, just the truth, and if they didn't know he was going talk like this before they hired him, then who didn't do their homework first? but it's all irrelevant if no one wants to listen to what he has to say.

We bascially hired someone with high standards, and then were surprised when he told us why we don't have any, he must have got exasperated at how simple alot of the problems were, yet how reluctant we are to change them, the fact he has now gone speaks volumes as to which way we are going .

Last edited:

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Fair enough. If Rangnick was chosen solely as a temporary manager

a- United's choice as a temporary manager had been a disaster. Rangnick's win rate was horrible, we failed to make it top 4
b- the club offered a consultancy role to Rangnick which proved itself to be redundant and embarrassing to the club.

Someone should take responsibility alongside many many other bad decisions taken throughout the season including insisting on Ole despite his disastrous Liverpool result and letting players walk on free when we could have made some money out of them (Pogba, Lingard etc). At one point Woodward can't be used as a scapegoat anymore.
Nobody has since SAF has left and it doesn't seem to bother anyone. Its pretty bizarre.

Blood Mage

Bet you we try to sign Lewandowski or some other geriatric superstar to sell shirts now. The Glazer business model will live on, long-term strategy be damned! Feck our owners, feck Arnold and feck Murtough, I don't trust any of them one bit. Ralf's mistake was being too honest, too publicly.

Lyng

Some people think that Murtough is a football genius
Hehe it's baffling. He hired Rangnick for a role (manager) that he was never that great at, only to then fire him before taking on a role he is actually good at.
Certainly big football brains on display there.

The Bloody-Nine

Bet you we try to sign Lewandowski or some other geriatric superstar to sell shirts now. The Glazer business model will live on, long-term strategy be damned! Feck our owners, feck Arnold and feck Murtough, I don't trust any of them one bit. Ralf's mistake was being too honest, too publicly.
Neymar!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We might get relegated, we sacked the only honest man who spoke truths.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Appreciate the honesty here, Ed would hide this and bullshit his way for that 2 years contract, so he doesn't look bad.

We fecked up, move on.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Hehe it's baffling. He hired Rangnick for a role (manager) that he was never that great at, only to then fire him before taking on a role he is actually good at.
Yeah, this is infuriating. Brought him in to do the exact wrong job then fecked him off as soon as he was to start the thing he can actually do.

For the 'interim manager' gig you need early Ole, basically. Someone who can man-manage and motivate a bit - especially when given zero transfer funds. Rangnick made his name building clubs around a specific playstyle, signing a profile of player uniquely suited to it - all of the shit he wasn't allowed to do.

We've used the screwdriver to knock a nail in then turned around and used the hammer to tighten a screw. Fecking useless.

El Jefe

Obvious many united fans have no idea what a consultancy role is. Many of us on here (even though we felt like the minority) had been saying both the fans and Ralf himself was overstating his influence on the team. Every change behind the scenes was shockingly being credited to Rangnick.

I was arguing with posters in another thread that actually think ten Hag being at United was because of Rangnick. The consultancy was 6 days a month, working remotely, I honestly have no clue how it wasn't obvious that this role was an extremely limited but financially rewarding gig for Ralf. He was clearly aware to begin with but was hoping to come in and find a way to expand his powers which he clearly attempted from day one. He was never going to have any contact with ETH but you constantly heard posters repeating that he would be working closely with ETH.

Murtough is what a lot of fans think Rangnick was meant to be. Plus we have a Deputy DoF being recruited. They along with Arnold are responsible for the footballing direction of this club going forward, it was never Rangnick despite how many times he gave off that impression in his press conferences.

sugar_kane

Bad decision to hire him, right decision to cut ties.

Whatever value Rangnick could have added as a consultant it would have tainted Ten Hag’s authority being associated with a man who was a rubbish manager and was disliked by the majority of the dressing room.

If Murtough had the balls to say straight up admit jt was a mistake hiring him it might reduce the perception of this as yet more pratfalls in the Man United circus, but seriously doubt this will happen.

JPRouve

Scout
Yeah, this is infuriating. Brought him in to do the exact wrong job then fecked him off as soon as he was to start the thing he can actually do.

For the 'interim manager' gig you need early Ole, basically. Someone who can man-manage and motivate a bit - especially when given zero transfer funds. Rangnick made his name building clubs around a specific playstyle, signing a profile of player uniquely suited to it - all of the shit he wasn't allowed to do.

We've used the screwdriver to knock a nail in then turned around and used the hammer to tighten a screw. Fecking useless.
Is it what happened or did he decide to focus on a managerial job that he didn't had before accepting the consultancy job?

Rake

I suspected there is something weird about that consultancy role from the beginning. In one of his earlier presses Rangnick was asked what they are planning beyond the first season and he said that there haven't been any talks about the future, which struck me as odd coming from someone who was supposedly hired to help overhaul the club.

All the best to him in the future.

Blood Mage

Already clear evidence that he's bad at his job, even Woodward didn't expose himself this quickly. Poor ETH going from Overmars and VDS to Murtough and Arnold.

AgentP

If his consultancy role was not really that big a deal, then I guess it was a horrible decision to appoint him as an interim manager. Might have just let Carrick continue if there were no better options out there.

HookedOnAPhelan

I suspected there is something weird about that consultancy role from the beginning. In one of his earlier presses Rangnick was asked what they are planning beyond the first season and he said that there haven't been any talks about the future, which struck me as odd coming from someone who was supposedly hired to help overhaul the club.

All the best to him in the future.
The "consultancy" thing was probably just a sweetener to make him take the job, and ensure employment after his interim spell. He had to leave his job in Russia to come after all. But now that he has a new job, and has been revealed to be a bit shit, the consultancy makes less sense.

Not sure why some people seem to be freaking out about this. It's not as if Rangnick has boatloads of experience with trophy winning clubs, neither as manager nor as DoF.

JPRouve

Scout
If his consultancy role was not really that big a deal, then I guess it was a horrible decision to appoint him as an interim manager. Might have just let Carrick continue if there were no better options out there.
I keep seeing this but wasn't Carrick the one that wanted to stop and focus on his family?

Status
Not open for further replies.