Ralf Rangnick's consultancy role has been scrapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I keep seeing this but wasn't Carrick the one that wanted to stop and focus on his family?
Yes, he wanted to leave when Ole was sacked but stepped in for few games as we had no one.

darioterios

Now I cannot be bothered about the man himself, I just feel annoyed that we threw away Champions League qualification in exchange for zilch, no redeeming rewards.

El Jefe

The DoF who was already in charge of it?
Its astonishing the number of poster that think Ralf was meant to be our DoF or have DoF powers. His interviews and press conferences have hypnotized a large section of our fanbase.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
it seems clear ETH didn’t really want his help and I don’t think he’s that bothered to stay either. Didn’t have many friends here it seems.

Probably best to let him get on with his job and we do ours.

wolvored

Think the consultancy role was to match the fact he had the same length contract in Russia. I also think he thought he might have been given the job as well, if he got them top 4 at least. This might have also have been suggested by the board and nothing wrong with that at that stage.
The fact it all went to shit and maybe he mentioned the Austria job and the board said go for it, was the writing on the wall, as you cant really concentrate on 2 different roles in different countries.
Ten Hag might have differing ideas as well. RR likes the Klopp style where Ten Hag is more Pep style.

GoldanoGraham

Clearly ETH wanting his own setup - thanks but no thanks. Think that was obvious from his first interval.

Don’t think this has anything to do with what RR has had to say, just a new manager, knowing he has got a massive task ahead, sweeping out anything that was before him, bringing in his new team and pressing ahead.

Im sure that RR and ETH have discussed and thanks, noted.

Live by the sword, die by the sword. On your own terms.

Good on you ETH.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Your club likes to makes thing the hard and painful way, don't they?

AgentP

I keep seeing this but wasn't Carrick the one that wanted to stop and focus on his family?
I think he decided to leave after Rangnick was appointed. He might have stayed on if he was given the role. But anyway, no point discussing all that now. Time to forget this season and get on with it.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
If his consultancy role was not really that big a deal, then I guess it was a horrible decision to appoint him as an interim manager.
It obviously was, yes.

For me, the potential worry here isn't that we're losing a "consultant" on a five-days-per-month contract - but rather what the thinking behind hiring him actually was, and what it says about Murtough et al.

(Throw in what RR has said about what went on in January - and the whole business doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.)

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
In 2012 Rangnick was appointed as director of Football for Salzburg while Houiller was appointed as Global Football director. Houiller was the highest football man and was later replaced by Mintzlaf, his deputy, as the most senior director.
Global director of football was Dietmar Beiersdorfer. Houiller and Rangnick replaced him together. Don't think Houiller was above Rangnick in the hierarchy. They were on the same level responsible for different tasks.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
So we brought Rangnick for 6 months, mostly for the continuity of his consultancy role, now the board scrapped that because they've realized his "advices" wouldn't help that much...in other words 6 months down the drain...
Also God help Austria

AgentP

It obviously was, yes.

For me, the potential worry here isn't that we're losing a "consultant" on a five-days-per-month contract - but rather what the thinking behind hiring him actually was, and what it says about Murtough et al.

(Throw in what RR has said about what went on in January - and the whole business doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.)
Yep, definitely worrying for the future if this is the extent of our planning. Atleast we got the ETH signing right.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Global director of football was Dietmar Beiersdorfer. Houiller and Rangnick replaced him together. Don't think Houiller was above Rangnick in the hierarchy. They were on the same level responsible for different tasks.
No the global soccer director was Houllier and Houiller was above Rangnick as was Mintzlaff. Beierdorfer was Salzburg sporting director which is the job that Rangnick took in 2012 while Beierdorfer went to Zenit.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Remember how it was during the FC Hollywood times? That's us now, just without the occasional title win.
not at all. "FC Hollywood" had two extremely strong characters representing the club in public. These two couldn't shut up even when it would have been beneficial. They certainly didn't avoid responsibility.
The management of United hardly makes any noise at all and when they say something its extremely generic PR talk. Nobody is ever holding his hand up and stands to their decisions. Its like a blackhole.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Conte was already hired by Spurs when we sacked Ole.
OGS was already done for when Conte was a free agent. His sacking was a matter of if, not when. It was a no brainer to go for Conte and get 4th place. Only the fact that RR was to be a DOF kind of guy later on made a bit of sense in his appointment. Otherwise the guy was not at the races for a long time. Anyway now that ship has sailed.

Abraxas

People keep going on about 6 months down the drain because he has been let go..but how is it? Surely it is 6 months down the drain because he was crap and ruined us getting in the CL. His primary job was to arrest our decline on the pitch, something which he spectacularly failed to do. Let's not mistake that, he was interim manager and any further role should always be contingent on not being awful. Essentially, he was under probation and has been let go which is a normal occurrence in the working world.

What would be time and money down the drain is steadfastly refusing to acknowledge a mistake and plodding on with a consultancy just because we said he would do. You have to react to the reality, and if that means doing a U Turn then you do it.

Good decision by the club.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Fair enough. If Rangnick was chosen solely as a temporary manager

a- United's choice as a temporary manager had been a disaster. Rangnick's win rate was horrible, we failed to make it top 4
b- the club offered a consultancy role to Rangnick which proved itself to be redundant and embarrassing to the club.

Someone should take responsibility alongside many many other bad decisions taken throughout the season including insisting on Ole despite his disastrous Liverpool result and letting players walk on free when we could have made some money out of them (Pogba, Lingard etc). At one point Woodward can't be used as a scapegoat anymore.
So who are you blaming? I’m gonna guess you’re having another go at murtough

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Your club is weird.
Why? There's nothing weird about it.
The consultancy was always going to be rather insignificant. It was both a monetary/contract and a vanity thing for Rangnick, and your DoF probably thought he might as well profit from Rangnick's expertise if that's what comes with the interim contract. Now they decided to scrap it in light how things turned out. Understandable and rather inconsequential course of events.

Unam333

My take is Ten Hag doesn't need him and want to start fresh with his players.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
If it's ETH pulling his weight then I don't see a problem with this. If it's not, it's really f*cking bizarre.
ETH didn't want anything with him, how would he when he can't change the whole squad and Ralf thinks they are all shit publicly.

Pretty simple way to get them on board and that he is in charge.

Lyng

Murtough failed here. If the interim was all he wanted Ralf Rangnick for its clear he has no football knowledge, because he was never that type of manager.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I posited this in the other thread but do you think his days were numbered when he said he didn't know what Fletcher does?

Sviken

ETH didn't want anything with him, how would he when he can't change the whole squad and Ralf thinks they are all shit publicly.

Pretty simple way to get them on board and that he is in charge.
Regardless of this, Ralf was right about the squad and that needs addressing. I'll be disappointed if some heads are not chopped at the start of the next transfer window. This is the most spineless and talentless United team I've seen in my life. The second you can work with, but the first one - definitely not. They don't have the mentality for this club.

Drz

Can only speculate as to what happened, my version:
ETH : what's your job Ralph?
RR : advising the club on key subjects, but also managing Austria, so we can meet every 3rd wednesday of the month to chat, right?
ETH : a/conflict of interests b/we need all hands on deck c/thank you byebye

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He is at the top of the pyramid football wise and various reports claim that he wanted Rangnick. Woodward made some horrible decisions at the club. Why can't we admit that Murtough was maybe one of them? Everything seems pointing to that

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I posited this in the other thread but do you think his days were numbered when he said he didn't know what Fletcher does?
No, I think that he received a job offer that he didn't expect and took it.

mu4c_20le

Murtough failed here. If the interim was all he wanted Ralf Rangnick for its clear he has no football knowledge, because he was never that type of manager.
He had two interim spells at Leipzig, he was exactly that type of manager...

Matt851

Hehe it's baffling. He hired Rangnick for a role (manager) that he was never that great at, only to then fire him before taking on a role he is actually good at.
Certainly big football brains on display there.
A good proportion of our fans are gullible/stupid, desperate to believe in things improving despite seeing zero evidence of it. I have had many claim I know nothing about football for daring to question the credentials of murtough and fletcher

miked99

What the feck?? What was the bloody point of all that then? Christ, we do stupid things.

I guess the only positive to come out of the entire six months was that the players finally exposed themselves for what they are, and he certainly aided that. But that's all. Hopefully ETH has had his ear bent with the truth about some of these players, that would be a positive at least.

But in summary: for feck's sake :mad:

jeff_goldblum

Rangnick's time here was a disaster, I don't blame the club for trying to draw a line under it before Ten Hag starts working with the players.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
People keep going on about 6 months down the drain because he has been let go..but how is it? Surely it is 6 months down the drain because he was crap and ruined us getting in the CL. His primary job was to arrest our decline on the pitch, something which he spectacularly failed to do. Let's not mistake that, he was interim manager and any further role should always be contingent on not being awful. Essentially, he was under probation and has been let go which is a normal occurrence in the working world.

What would be time and money down the drain is steadfastly refusing to acknowledge a mistake and plodding on with a consultancy just because we said he would do. You have to react to the reality, and if that means doing a U Turn then you do it.

Good decision by the club.
It is.
There were 2 reasons for what we did. Ensure we had time to get the "right" manager who may only be available in the summer, and try and scrape 4th place.

The ;latter massively failed, but the former was the huge priority.
Obviously time will tell whether we got that bit right.

Lyng

He had two interim spells at Leipzig, he was exactly that type of manager...
His primary role at Leipzig was behind the scene. He helped build Leipzig. Everything was built to his style. Such was not the case here.

Amir

I see people here are saying that he's out because Ten Haag doesn't want him. But why would Ten Haag have any say in that? Rangnick wasn't one of his staff anymore than Fletcher is.

stu_1992

Extremely strange situation, and I must say I do not believe the reason given at all. Really makes the last few months feel like a waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.