Ralf Rangnick's consultancy role has been scrapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashoutcassius

Shifting the blame or not, was he wrong?
The players were good enough to get 2nd and 3rd the prior seasons. The players were good enough to fight back after going behind some record breaking amount of times. Couple that with the fact that Ralf hasn't coached in years, couldn't get a non interim coaching job the prior decade, I'm inclined to think ETH can get top four with these players

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
The players were good enough to get 2nd and 3rd the prior seasons. The players were good enough to fight back after going behind some record breaking amount of times. Couple that with the fact that Ralf hasn't coached in years, couldn't get a non interim coaching job the prior decade, I'm inclined to think ETH can get top four with these players
Sorry to hear that.

Rajma

Said we should avoid signing players for their last contracts and stop-gaps, what do we do? Next thing we do is go for Arnautovic. :lol: He really exposed this club for no long term planning and people that sided with the club deserve everything what’s coming.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
With respect, this is like saying Liverpool got second with Joe Allen and Martin Skrtel in their team so Klopp shouldn't have needed to sell them to kick on.

It doesn't matter what we did a couple of years ago. The teams around us have improved much more than we have in the time since. We have, at best, stood still.

If you keep travelling at the same speed, while everyone around you accelerates, you get passed. That's what has happened. We won't catch up if we keep using how people were doing two years ago as a measure.

pascell

Yes. Murtough, used to working in the background at the FA, Everton, Coventry and Fulham at a slow tempo and with very little achievement, would have shat himself at the thought of trading 5-6 players out and at least that in. He is in his 50’s and hasn’t actually got any significant experience in recruitment. His CV is very mediocre indeed. A very similar appointment to OGS.
I said a long time ago that ten Hag would only be successful if he had Rangnick (or someone experienced with building high quality teams) above him and I'm sticking to it because of how well Overmars did in finding the talent that fit ten Hags style of play and how inexperienced Murtough is in the role.

I've said a few times on here that his resume is piss poor. I've actually seen some on the Caf championing and lauding the appointment of Murtough which I found very odd when looking at his past work, I couldn't make out what made him qualified enough to be DoF of United.

Ralph1386

With respect, this is like saying Liverpool got second with Joe Allen and Martin Skrtel in their team so Klopp shouldn't have needed to sell them to kick on.

It doesn't matter what we did a couple of years ago. The teams around us have improved much more than we have in the time since. We have, at best, stood still.

If you keep travelling at the same speed, while everyone around you accelerates, you get passed. That's what has happened. We won't catch up if we keep using how people were doing two years ago as a measure.
Spot on.

Crashoutcassius

It's more like saying klopp shouldn't have been expecting to be thrashed by Brighton

RuudTom83

In time ETH will see what Ralf saw and what Mourinho saw…the core of the team/club needs gutting.

Not having a chat with Ralf will have cost ETH 6 months of his time finding it out.

Lucky for ETH he has a 3 year contract so should be able to survive longer than the players.

Poor Ralf only had 6 months so the players binned him off with ease.

BlueHaze

In time ETH will see what Ralf saw and what Mourinho saw…the core of the team/club needs gutting.

Not having a chat with Ralf will have cost ETH 6 months of his time finding it out.

Lucky for ETH he has a 3 year contract so should be able to survive longer than the players.

I'm afraid by that time he'll be gone..

Tyrion

Said we should avoid signing players for their last contracts and stop-gaps, what do we do? Next thing we do is go for Arnautovic. :lol: He really exposed this club for no long term planning and people that sided with the club deserve everything what’s coming.
Why do fans who disagreed with you deserve the team to be shit?

ETH doesn't need that much time to see the squad isn't good enough. It's pretty obvious. He can't drop half the team when there's little alternatives.

ForeverRed1

Of course he was right, and the fact he was ushered out of the door for saying it as it was should have rung massive alarm bells long before now, what a waste.
It wouldnt surprise me if ETH wanted him but because he spoke up the club wanted him gone so they hid behind ETH. He probably watched today with a smirk on his face.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Keeping Ralf around would have been the best thing that could happen to this club apart from the Glazers selling the club. It was a mistake for ETH not to listen to Ralf.

Irwin99

And a lot of them also crashed to 6th place the year before that.

I keep seeing this argument when it should be obvious that, as well as that 3rd place having an element of good fortune (66 points!!!), the players were playing an extremely limited but very effective low block with lightning fast transitions. Ole even said he wanted to change the style last season to take the next step and, to his credit, he tried but it all went very wrong.

We're not playing that counter attacking way anymore which suited a lot of these players. Unfortunately, I just don't see a very good group of players here to work with for ten Hag or for any modern manager who wants a physically aggressive team with great technical ability.

Reactions: Fortitude

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
ETH doesn't need that much time to see the squad isn't good enough. It's pretty obvious. He can't drop half the team when there's little alternatives.
If he would be genuinely supported he'd be trusted to do in the short-term what he believed would be good for the long-term. Which in all likelihood would be ridding the club of average performers or at the very least demoting them, throwing in younger players and pressing to get adequate players brought in.

C'est Moi Cantona

It wouldnt surprise me if ETH wanted him but because he spoke up the club wanted him gone so they hid behind ETH. He probably watched today with a smirk on his face.
Not sure about the ETH wanting him part, but he shouldn't have been given the option, we literally might aswell have kept Ole if we weren't going to use Ralf afterwards, it was beyond stupid, but they got away with it as so many were more than happy to ridicule and see Ralf gone, whilst having a shiny new manager waved at then to distract from what Ralf warned us about.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
It would very much surprise me, since all the evidence indicates ETH had little time for Rangnick and ignored pretty much everything he said.

diarm

I said it at the time, bringing in a guy woefully unequipped for the role you were asking of him for 6 months, only to then sack him before he could step up to the role we needed him for was utter madness.

Just a complete lack of joined up thinking and a scandalous pissing up the wall of half a season.

When he started discussing club affairs in the press, I said it suggested he wasn't being listened to by the people who mattered. The terms in which he left showed there was a fundamental breakdown between what he thought the club needs and what our owners and board think.

I don't think the guy is a genius or some sort of footballing revolutionary. He was merely acknowledging problems that pretty much any fan with eyes can see, and his solutions were just systems and ideas that are proven to be successful in modern football clubs around Europe.

The fact that his views were so abhorrent to our owners and executives, so sure in their own ideas and methods despite a decade of negligence, says everything you need to know about the club and it's priorities.

Rajma

Not sure about the ETH wanting him part, but he shouldn't have been given the option, we literally might aswell have kept Ole if we weren't going to use Ralf afterwards, it was beyond stupid, but they got away with it as so many were more than happy to ridicule and see Ralf gone, whilst having a shiny new manager waved at then to distract from what Ralf warned us about.
That’s literally how this club has gotten away with everything for the last decade! However, if you tried to be negative on this board you would instantly be called out by top reds with short memory spans.

Born2Lose

Only the Glazers could be in a winning position and completely dick it up.

Banat

I said when Ralf was sacked that we will regret that decision, and having him up top was equally or even more important than getting Ten Hag, if we had any ambition to become a proper and modern football club.
I'm mad at our fan base for being lethargic and not making any fuss after he was sacked, that was a clear indication of our ambition as a football club.
We will continue to tolerate incompetent people with sporadic 'Anti-Glazer' chants and protests and nothing will happen. We have no direction, I have never felt so hopeless in my life with our club.

Art

Art the artist
I'm afraid by that time he'll be gone..
Ofcourse he will and the caf will be convinced it's his doing for the majority of it. Ralf isn't a fool. There's a chance he very well risked his consultancy position just so that he can give his candid opinions on the state of the club which day by day is looking to be true.

De Gea, Maguire, Shaw, Dalot, AWB, Fred, Mctominay, Marcus and Bruno to some extent have stank the place up for a good 18 months now. These lot aren't great at football and their heads drop at the first sign of adversity. How is ETH meant to build with them.

Ted Lasso

Only the Glazers could be in a winning position and completely dick it up.
Oof that hurts seeing it again.

Seeing Man United's leadership make poor decisions is hard to stomach. Made worse by fans and posters eating up every excuse the Glazers come up with. The transfer forum is full of gaslighting about Rangnick making several recommendations for players , all getting scrapped after the ETH hire.

Greck

This was 3 months ago. if what Ralf said was common sense then the club needs to hire more directors with it.

"It's obvious the club needs at least two new strikers who give this team more quality and more options.
"In Germany we have a head coach and then there is usually a minimum of two skilled people continuously in the club on a longer-term basis responsible for recruitment, scouting and any daily operation," Rangnick told Sky Sports News.

"I know that for the future, and I think even more so for a big club like Manchester United, you can't put all those jobs and tasks and the whole responsibility only on the shoulder of one person – on the manager. I'm not sure if this can be dealt with by one person, no matter how good he is.
Straight foolish for discarding every single thing he said. Simply pursuing anyone of these would have avoided a lot of the trouble we're in. Even the often ridiculed quotes about needing 8 players made sense within the context it was said. With Ronaldo, Matic, Pogba and Henderson leaving signing squad replacements in addition to the positions we were already strengthening would push into that range thereabout.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I have more trust in Rangnick than I do in Murtough etc

Just when I thought the club was turning it around they went back to the Woodward era

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Oof that hurts seeing it again.

Seeing Man United's leadership make poor decisions is hard to stomach. Made worse by fans and posters eating up every excuse the Glazers come up with. The transfer forum is full of gaslighting about Rangnick making several recommendations for players , all getting scrapped after the ETH hire.
People have short memories. The more Utd didn't play during the summer, the more they forgot how bad the players were. Took them 2 preseason games to come out in swarms shitting on Ralf.

the_cliff

I said it at the time, bringing in a guy woefully unequipped for the role you were asking of him for 6 months, only to then sack him before he could step up to the role we needed him for was utter madness.

Just a complete lack of joined up thinking and a scandalous pissing up the wall of half a season.

When he started discussing club affairs in the press, I said it suggested he wasn't being listened to by the people who mattered. The terms in which he left showed there was a fundamental breakdown between what he thought the club needs and what our owners and board think.

I don't think the guy is a genius or some sort of footballing revolutionary. He was merely acknowledging problems that pretty much any fan with eyes can see, and his solutions were just systems and ideas that are proven to be successful in modern football clubs around Europe.

The fact that his views were so abhorrent to our owners and executives, so sure in their own ideas and methods despite a decade of negligence, says everything you need to know about the club and it's priorities.
Good post.

Bolded is the key part. People need to get to the realisation that the board may not want what all of us fans want.

Dominos

I get the feeling ETH wouldn't have been too impressed with Ralf trying to impose signings on him and Ralf trying to address the areas he thought were most needed.

ETH seems to want the authority on who we target which is why we've ended up scrapping the club targets and instead targeting a load of Ten Hag's ex-players in Timber, Martinez, De Jong, Anthony, Arnautovic, Eriksen, + other Eredivisie players he's familiar with.

ETH looks to have decided just De Jong will be enough for our midfield which is complete madness. It means realistically we're still having to play one of Fred/Mctominay every week. The first priority should have been signing 2 CM to partner each other.

The 2nd priority should have been a right back but for some reason ETH decided to prioritise left back.

There could have been potential disagreement over whether Martinez was the right profile of player to fix our defence also.

Frankly given the positions we've neglected and the players we've targeted, I think we'd have been better off letting Ralf lead the transfer window. But I don't think we should give too much power to any one person. Certainly the way we've run this transfer window with Ten Hag neglecting weak areas and targeting 6 of his ex players is just shambolic.

Last edited:

stevoc

You don’t have to be Nostradamus to say we need a new team.

I’m sure ETH knows this as well, he’s just not flapping his gums about it
Indeed the weekly Ralf show has probably hampered us in the transfer market this summer with clubs adding an extra £10-15m to prices.

Not to mention not being in the CL is causing us problems in attracting players.

stevoc

Who in particular at the club needs gutting that was here in 2018?

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I'm confused. How does one match translate to RR being the right man for the consultancy? Lots of conceptual leaps happening

Irwin99

Martial, Rashford, Shaw, De Gea, McTominay. Or everyone who was here in 2018 covers it really.
I believe we had six players starting today who have been at the club five years or longer. I really wish we wouldn't put players on such massive contracts for achieving so little and also recognize that, although every player goes through rough patches in their careers, there has to be a finite number of chances that you get to turn it around.

skc_18

We played the most abysmal football under him. Just because he slammed the players he is no sage.
He unnecessarily loaned out players like Martial , Vdb without thinking 3 players ( Cavani, pogba , mastic ) are in last year of contract and don’t have any motivation to give >=100%.

caid

I believe we had six players starting today who have been at the club five years or longer. I really wish we wouldn't put players on such massive contracts for achieving so little and also recognize that, although every player goes through rough patches in their careers, there has to be a finite number of chances that you get to turn it around.
Remember when we were known for being ruthless? Kanchelskis, Sharpe etc would be here for a decade today.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Our romantism is hampering us big time.

Players like rashford, mct, dalot, maguire etc would be binned without given 3rd or 4th chance clean slate at any other club.

But instead we put too much value on bravado and cock talk. Players like Mata could make us endure years of wage wasting and slot wasting just because he has puppy eyes and seems like a good bloke. Phil Jones put a lionheart performance a few times every 2 years would have put us in tears and handing him another contract. Ditto with our romantism with Ole. Rashford made children book, must be a nice guys. Excuses after excuses were being made providing logical fallacy for a simple reality of them not being good enough.

We should be ruthless. If you're not performing in 12 months get your clean slate somewhere else.

At this point it's becomint a parody that players like Martial are being given yet another clean slate.

Status
Not open for further replies.