Ralf Rangnick's consultancy role has been scrapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grande

Really don't want to put more fuel to the fire but that statement is as naive as it gets.... Seriously people, the guy left month ago. Let the trauma end. Acting as if he is responsible for a trashing today is nothing but foolish.
Yes, assuming Rangnik influences the game yesterday is weird. WhatSolskjær, Rangnik and Ten Hag all have experienced, is that disorganized high/aggressive press vs a Klopp team will get you severely puniahed. Solskjær tried but couldn’t quite, Rangnik didn’t have time enough nor the squad’s backing, Ten Hag is very ambitioous on behalf of his players, sometimes it shows (Like vs Brentford, City and now.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Everyone's favourite thread. So I bumped it.

A lot of people have an unnatural amount of hate for Rangnick - which reminds me of people's hate for Jose, but I digress.

I hope ETH does gut this squad in the summer. We've seen that thread recently with players' wages and that's one - pretty healthy - reason to do some house cleaning. One of the more puzzling questions is whether we continue with the two right backs neither of whom really has cemented their place, despite ample opportunities. Victor and Harry. All the midfielders bar the first XI starters. Dave or a tactically suitable keeper. There is just so much to do. I don't put too much stock in what the manager says now while he's obviously having to preserve some dressing room balance, but we all bought into the hype which was just because Erik ten Hag is better than anything we've seen since SAF here, but the job is still the same as what Rangnick laid bare.

I'd sign neither loan-signing, let go of Donny, Harry, Victor (he's open to it and there's interest it seems), Henderson, Dave too if we're going to play some amalgamation of total football, Scott, Fred, and if there are decent offers for Martial. Fred is possible the most contentious of the lot, as he does serve a purpose. But he's on 120K and his bottom level is horrid. I think we need to both increase the pace in our team and make sure that the technical level starts to be befitting a major club, not least in terms of passing.

We've done OK in the league given last season, but still very little to show for money spent on fees and wages and the drop off in quality for any suspension or injury is unacceptable unless it is down to promising players being given a chance because there's a focus on the long-term.

Abraxas

Everyone's favourite thread. So I bumped it.

A lot of people have an unnatural amount of hate for Rangnick - which reminds me of people's hate for Jose, but I digress.

I hope ETH does gut this squad in the summer. We've seen that thread recently with players' wages and that's one - pretty healthy - reason to do some house cleaning. One of the more puzzling questions is whether we continue with the two right backs neither of whom really has cemented their place, despite ample opportunities. Victor and Harry. All the midfielders bar the first XI starters. Dave or a tactically suitable keeper. There is just so much to do. I don't put too much stock in what the manager says now while he's obviously having to preserve some dressing room balance, but we all bought into the hype which was just because Erik ten Hag is better than anything we've seen since SAF here, but the job is still the same as what Rangnick laid bare.

I'd sign neither loan-signing, let go of Donny, Harry, Victor (he's open to it and there's interest it seems), Henderson, Dave too if we're going to play some amalgamation of total football, Scott, Fred, and if there are decent offers for Martial. Fred is possible the most contentious of the lot, as he does serve a purpose. But he's on 120K and his bottom level is horrid. I think we need to both increase the pace in our team and make sure that the technical level starts to be befitting a major club, not least in terms of passing.

We've done OK in the league given last season, but still very little to show for money spent on fees and wages and the drop off in quality for any suspension or injury is unacceptable unless it is down to promising players being given a chance because there's a focus on the long-term.
I don't think we'll be in any position to "gut" the squad unless we are taken over. It's pretty evident that even a repeat of last summer is unlikely when you look at the way the higher ups describe that spending. I think they saw that as a one off, exceptional circumstance to back this manager.

Which means there will be a limited amount we can do and it will be a normal window. Some will leave, some will be signed, but probably a relatively normal number like 3-4 senior players leaving and joining. Not a complete reimagining of the squad.

Of course it could be completely different if we have additional spending power coming from a takeover. That would probably be very helpful in speeding ETHs process up. At the moment he kind of has to prepare as if it's business as usual, he can't prepare for eventualities that may never manifest themselves.

Yakuza_devils

This guy was right about open heart surgery and we need about 10 players to start play modern attacking football.

ETH is doing exactly that transforming us to play high attacking style. These are modern men for football and I'm glad that we have moved on from stone age football by Moyes, LVG, Jose and Ole.

Hopefully next year will be an exciting season to watch united again.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The open heart surgery bit was a bit weird considering how he was spineless to bench Ronaldo, the biggest problem of all when he had Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and Cavani. Stark contrast to Ten Hag.

Remember the geese

This guy was right about open heart surgery and we need about 10 players to start play modern attacking football.

ETH is doing exactly that transforming us to play high attacking style. These are modern men for football and I'm glad that we have moved on from stone age football by Moyes, LVG, Jose and Ole.

Onana, Martinez, Casemiro, Mount, Antony, Højlund. 6 starting 11 eleven players from the team that Ralf had. They contribute to what is likely our starting 11 for the majority of our games this season. Ralf was also a big fan of De Gea, so currently 5 starting 11 players from Rangnick's vision.

Yakuza_devils

Onana, Martinez, Casemiro, Mount, Antony, Højlund. 6 starting 11 eleven players from the team that Ralf had. They contribute to what is likely our starting 11 for the majority of our games this season. Ralf was also a big fan of De Gea, so currently 5 starting 11 players from Rangnick's vision.
Don't forget Eriksen, he will play vital roles next season and the same can be said for Malacia, Garnacho even though they are not starting 11.

ETH also revived Shaw, Dalot and AWB and most importantly Rashford.

We are still linked with Amrabat.

ETH was also big DDG fans in front of the press

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain

Such a modern genius this Ralf. How many players have Liverpool bought in the same period? How many have Arsenal? How many have Chelsea?
Hell, United themselves only within 18 months from Jan 2006 to summer 2007 bought 7 players (Evra, Vidic, Carrick, Anderson, Nani, Hargreaves, Tevez) and btw 6 months before buying them we had already bought VdS and Park.
Clubs change their personnel all the time, but I don’t remember SAF, Klopp or anyone else spouting crap such as the team needing open heart surgery while at the same time being even close to as incompetent as Ralf.
And that’s before even taking into account that Ralf liked DdG, McT and Elanga.

Yakuza_devils

Such a modern genius this Ralf. How many players have Liverpool bought in the same period? How many have Arsenal? How many have Chelsea?
Hell, United themselves only within 18 months from Jan 2006 to summer 2007 bought 7 players (Evra, Vidic, Carrick, Anderson, Nani, Hargreaves, Tevez) and btw 6 months before buying them we had already bought VdS and Park.
Clubs change their personnel all the time, but I don’t remember SAF, Klopp or anyone else spouting crap such as the team needing open heart surgery while at the same time being even close to as incompetent as Ralf.
And that’s before even taking into account that Ralf liked DdG, McT and Elanga.
At that time he was the only one dare to speak the truths. The club also didn't allowed him to sign any player so he had to rely on McT, DDG and the likes.

In a way he was proven right too like many fans already suspected because since ETH arrived with a few on his new signings we were still playing negative football.

Next season will be the season ETH get all his players to play modern attacking football.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
At that time he was the only one dare to speak the truths. The club also didn't allowed him to sign any player so he had to rely on McT, DDG and the likes.

In a way he was proven right too like many fans already suspected because since ETH arrived with a few on his new signings we were still playing negative football.

Next season will be the season ETH get all his players to play modern attacking football.
You didn’t answer any of my questions. Ralf dared to speak the truth? Was he hired as truth teller to the media or as an interim manager? Well the biggest truth is that he was so unqualified to manage United, even as interim. But we never heard him say this. I am just glad ETH made the right choice and didn’t want to keep Ralf as advisor/talker/truth teller.

Yakuza_devils

You didn’t answer any of my questions. Ralf dared to speak the truth? Was he hired as truth teller to the media or as an interim manager? Well the biggest truth is that he was so unqualified to manage United, even as interim. But we never heard him say this. I am just glad ETH made the right choice and didn’t want to keep Ralf as advisor/talker/truth teller.
He was not good enough as manager and he is not known for managerial records. Somehow our club ended signing him as interim manager because Murtough was close to him or something.

Anyway, as "consultant" perspective he was spot on about our squad and what needed to be done.

Abraxas

He was not good enough as manager and he is not known for managerial records. Somehow our club ended signing him as interim manager because Murtough was close to him or something.

Anyway, as "consultant" perspective he was spot on about our squad and what needed to be done.
He didn't offer anything from a "consulting" perspective.

In my opinion saying we need 10 signings is not a skill. It's just a distraction from the crap job he was doing. It's clear that when a big name club is languishing nearer midtable that a major squad refresh is needed. It's not exactly advice or inspiration worth paying for. The skill is actually pulling it off and managing players, that's the tough part - not saying something any layman can identify by basic common sense.

Yakuza_devils

In my opinion saying we need 10 signings is not a skill. It's just a distraction from the crap job he was doing. It's clear that when a big name club is languishing nearer midtable that a major squad refresh is needed. It's not exactly advice or inspiration worth paying for. The skill is actually pulling it off and managing players, that's the tough part - not saying something any layman can identify by basic common sense.
100%. He was a bad manager and in fact he is never a good manager before at top club. But he has track records as DOF building a team/club.

At that time many thought that it was the manager problem but even after we changed manager to ETH the problem remains the same.

Our problem was more of football structure where Rangnick also highlighted several players we should sign (before they being signed up by big clubs later) but was ignored by the club.

When ETH came in he also helped Murtough to revamp the scouting department and football structure. Now we can start to see the benefits.

In a way, Rangnick identified the problems in the club and surprised how the club still operate in old methods. He was supposed to remain as consultant to help to implement new football structure. But luckily I think ETH and Murtough now slowly is changing the system for the better.

Eddy_JukeZ

The fact he rated Telles over Shaw(and even said before that Shaw is an issue) makes me glad we got rid of him.

Mr PG

Shaw was shit that season let’s be honest. Even ETH dropped him for almost 2 mths.

ETH is a great coach but imagine we appointed him as interim with no preseason and no Martial/ Greenwood and Rashie with a shoulder injury and had to rely on Elanga and McFred as well as Maguire… what position do you think we’d have achieved?

Eddy_JukeZ

Shaw was shit that season let’s be honest. Even ETH dropped him for almost 2 mths.

ETH is a great coach but imagine we appointed him as interim with no preseason and no Martial/ Greenwood and Rashie with a shoulder injury and had to rely on Elanga and McFred as well as Maguire… what position do you think we’d have achieved?
ETH didn't coach him that season.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The open heart surgery bit was a bit weird considering how he was spineless to bench Ronaldo, the biggest problem of all when he had Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and Cavani. Stark contrast to Ten Hag.
Greenwood was first choice right winger until shit hit the fan and he was banished. Martial was injured for most of the time (and in absolutely dreadful form) before we then loaned him out days before Greenwood's issues came to light. Cavani was injured for most of the season under Ralf, and in poor form when he did play. Rashford was in such bad form that he got dropped for Elanga and quite frankly it was deserved.

Rangnick really didn't have any choice but to play Ronaldo most of the time. He was also the only one kind of performing except for a couple of months in the middle of the season where he did struggle.

The fact he rated Telles over Shaw(and even said before that Shaw is an issue) makes me glad we got rid of him.
This is a myth. The only time that Shaw was fit while Rangnick was here he was first choice. The rest of the time he was either injured or out with covid. He was basically unavailable for Rangnick's entire time here except for the month of February and a couple of games here and there in between injuries where he generally always played.

Eddy_JukeZ

Greenwood was first choice right winger until shit hit the fan and he was banished. Martial was injured for most of the time (and in absolutely dreadful form) before we then loaned him out days before Greenwood's issues came to light. Cavani was injured for most of the season under Ralf, and in poor form when he did play. Rashford was in such bad form that he got dropped for Elanga and quite frankly it was deserved.

Rangnick really didn't have any choice but to play Ronaldo most of the time. He was also the only one kind of performing except for a couple of months in the middle of the season where he did struggle.

This is a myth. The only time that Shaw was fit while Rangnick was here he was first choice. The rest of the time he was either injured or out with covid. He was basically unavailable for Rangnick's entire time here except for the month of February and a couple of games here and there in between injuries where he generally always played.
Him not rating Shaw isn't a myth. He talked about him as a weakness before he was even hired.

Zen86

ETH has a lot to thank Rangnick for, he would never have thought to buy his own players without him!

STYLOISRED

Why has this thread refused to die? Ragnick was a fraud who couldn't shut up and do the job he was paid to do and thankfully we have moved on fron him. Please let this thread die.

Ace of Spades

He was not wrong, the problem was he was just shit. We do need better planning, with recruitment of players, integration of youth, a clear vision for the club, etc.

Hopefully, we sre going in the right direction, and the business this time does make sense at least.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Him not rating Shaw isn't a myth. He talked about him as a weakness before he was even hired.
Rangnick made those comments years ago at the start of the 20/21 season. Shaw went on to have his first great season that year so he may or may not have changed his mind. Regardless, the 'myth' that I was talking about was choosing Telles ahead of Shaw which never really happened. When Shaw was fit he played.

Paul778

100%. He was a bad manager and in fact he is never a good manager before at top club. But he has track records as DOF building a team/club.

At that time many thought that it was the manager problem but even after we changed manager to ETH the problem remains the same.

Our problem was more of football structure where Rangnick also highlighted several players we should sign (before they being signed up by big clubs later) but was ignored by the club.

When ETH came in he also helped Murtough to revamp the scouting department and football structure. Now we can start to see the benefits.

In a way, Rangnick identified the problems in the club and surprised how the club still operate in old methods. He was supposed to remain as consultant to help to implement new football structure. But luckily I think ETH and Murtough now slowly is changing the system for the better.
Completely.

RR was never backed by the board. If they had given him 30m in January to get a CM when teams were running through us who knows what would have happened. Giving him nothing told the squad they could do what they wanted.

Wish he was here to revamp our scouting. Without a strong hand to fix it, ETH has mostly ignored them and gone to signing only players he knows personally in the most part.

If RR and Mitchell had been brought in we'd have established a production line of talent ala Leipzig, Southampton, Brighton and would be well on the way to making our team turn a profit.

... but before that could happen, the open heart surgery was required.

He didn't offer anything because we wouldn't listen to him. That was made clear in the transfer window and cemented the failure of his time as manager when everyone from Ronaldo to Henderson realised they could do whatever they wanted.

He has been and still would be a great figure to have in the club management but it's obvious a few of his home truths didn't go down well with those they were aimed at.

zenith

Any clown could have gone ahead and said we need need 10 new players. There is no credit to be assigned to him for just blabbering on with things and not making any meaningful changes to improve. This guy made me miss ole

stevoc

Or state the bloody obvious. Virtually every team signs 2-3 new starters every summer. Wait long enough and yeah sure enough half the team will have been replaced since Ralfs time at the club.

tomaldinho1

This thread :lol:
Ragnick was crap and got no support which resulted in tumescent football beyond our wildest nightmares.

Newtonius

Even more poignant that he said it at a time when everybody thought our squad was amazing, that Ole left us in a good position and they just needed someone to coach them right.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I couldn't give two fecks about Rangnick and this quote, just like Mou's about finishing second with United being his greatest achievement, was basically his "i want out" admission.

It's good to hear that RR was "stating the bloody obvious" because, back then, one of the main reasons some fans were quick and strong to deride him for saying it was cause they were dead certain that the previous manager, although he might have failed in the end, he left behind a good squad for the next guy.

Well, as it seems, the next guy slightly disagrees...

BarryWinks

What does this even mean? He was literally the only united employee who's job it was to sit in the front of the camera twice a week.

Imagine if say the glazers, or English club owners in general, loved the limelight like their french or Italian counterparts, I bet there'd have been some serious mudslinging between the Glazer and Ragnick in the press.

And no, he's not the sage some of you think he is. We had had our worst season since Moyes, of course we needed "open heart surgery". Nothing surprising in that. Like the other poster said, Chelsea have probably signed as much, Arsenal not far off and Pool will probably sign as much as we have by the end of this season.

Open heart surgery my foot!

Eric_the_Red99

Or state the bloody obvious. Virtually every team signs 2-3 new starters every summer. Wait long enough and yeah sure enough half the team will have been replaced since Ralfs time at the club.
Yeah, it makes me laugh that some people are painting Rangnick as some sort of tragic Cassandra figure who was the only one who could see the hidden truth that we needed better players, if only we’d listened to the misunderstood genius.

The real truth is that his time in charge was a complete waste of time. The fact that we’ve now signed some better players (some of whom the jury is still out on, tbh) is in no way a vindication of Rangnick.

Nickelodeon

It’s stupid to think Rangnick deserves any credit purely because we didn’t give him a chance to do what he does best. He is not a full time manager and had only been a manager in ‘steadying the ship temporarily’ sort of roles at clubs where he was already well known and respected. He came in at a time when almost everyone was down on confidence and didn’t see enough reason to raise their games for a lost cause of a season. We can assign him blame for it. However, I still believe that he would’ve been a good DoF for us (or at least better than Murtough and co) and would’ve helped us make some smarter deals.
Our recruitment structure is still very manager heavy and if, God forbid, we endure a 21-22 type of season and have to sack the manager, we’ll be right back where we started from because we’re currently buying Ten Hag recommended players. What I would rather prefer is a system driven approach where players are scout-DoF recommended and manager-approved. If for some reason, we have to get rid of the manager, the DoF can at least try and find a manager who would be fit for the players and the system they’re recruited for rather than doing another long term rebuild.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
In hindsight giving RR money for transfers would have been a bad move. We'd have had less money for ten Hag and probably not bought one of the players we got in summer 2022.

Some of our transfer Windows prior to that were disgraceful. Having windows where Fred and DvdB were the only major signings was unacceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.