Ralph Hasenhüttl

arthurka

I don't see what the fuss is tbh. His Southampton team seems to rely on shithousery and kicking their opponents to pieces, along with the odd JWP set piece brilliance. It seems everytime Southampton get a relatively unknown manager that keeps them in the top half of the table, they get praised to the heavens by the footballing hipsters.
They don't, they were missing two of their best players against us. Hard working, well drilled and well organized.

RH is a very good manager and they are a good team.

Acole9

Outstanding
Not sure if its his directive or just cnut players like Romeu, but his team is dirty as feck. Was the exact same story last season. I remember thinking to myself "gee these guys are fouling constantly arent they"
I don't like Romeu, he's one of the most dirtiest players in the league.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't know why you guys are taking issues with his comments.
He is trying to say his players were very good. He isn't trying demean our players.
I like him and think he's a very good coach.
He gets praised here because he’s not Ole.
Keep telling yourself that.

RUCK4444

I don't know why you guys are taking issues with his comments.
He is trying to say his players were very good. He isn't trying demean our players.
I like him and think he's a very good coach.

Keep telling yourself that.
I don't have to, people seemingly like yourself do that for everybody.

The grass is always greener, flavour of the month group of posters. Where everything United is shite and everything everywhere else is better and what were missing. Like Ralph apparently. :rolleyes:

Footy van de Geek

I'm sorry, but where has he improved them to exactly? Southampton have always been an upper midtable club and as far as I can see, that is what they currently are at the moment.

It's a prettier facade than it was under Hughes, I'll grant you that but it's nothing that I hadn't seen before from Poch, Koeman, and Adkins before him. He's got a win % that is barely 1% above Claude Puel's, and is presently a smidge under 39%. What exactly makes you think he'd be qualified to do a job here?

You can watch us and try and work out what Ole's trying to do, while I watch us and enjoy the goals as they go in. The team shape more than did it's job. Southampton scored against the run of play and quickly scored another - both of which were set play goals which didn't require them to outplay us, so again, what are you looking for exactly? We created enough in the first half to have scored 2 before Southampton even ventured in our half and we dominated at least 70 of the 95 minutes. Even in that 15-20 minute period of Southampton pressure we still had enough clear chances to score at least once more. Cavani is 33 years old and should have his workload managed. Martial being taken ill probably forced Ole to play Greenwood, and Rashford had a rest v Leipzig, so he hasn't played every single minute either.
Many of the players from the Adkins, Poch and Koeman eras went on to sign for bigger clubs in England or abroad. The squad is a shadow of the one who impressed under Koeman.

Between 14/15 and 15/16 seasons, they could field the below combined XI.

Pellé

Mané---------------------------Tadić

Bertand------------Davis-----------Wanyama------------------Cédric

Fonte-----Alderweield-----van Dijk

Forster
Ings is the only one from the current squad who get into the above side. Maybe Ward-Prowse as well who was only starting out back then.

Mark Hughes was a terrible appointment. They were such a well run club from the time they got promoted up until the Hughes decision.

blemis

Supports
spurs
This guy is about having his players playing as aggressively as they could in 1st half so they get knackered in 2nd, absolutely has no idea how to set his team defensively. Just another overrated hipster manager that will achieve nothing in his career.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
This guy is about having his players playing as aggressively as they could in 1st half so they get knackered in 2nd, absolutely has no idea how to set his team defensively. Just another overrated hipster manager that will achieve nothing in his career.
You do know that he was the head coach of RB Leipzig in prior years and his team were good defensively and he achieved that whilst playing a high line and playing raw teenagers in the back line. I think he knows abit more about defensive balance than you.

Last edited:

Foxbatt

For him to get those players to play the way they do is an achievement in itself.
None of them would get into the United side.
Good coaching and tactics get you so far. Good coaching with good players win trophies.

blemis

Supports
spurs
You do know that he was the head coach of RB Leipzig in prior years and his team were good defensively and he achieved that whilst deploying a playing a high line and playing raw teenagers in the back line. I think he knows abit more about defensive balance than you.
A defensive outdated dinosaur Mourinho puts 5 on his team and last seasons Brendan Rogers puts 9. 2 coach you guys doesn't even rate.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
A defensive outdated dinosaur Mourinho puts 5 on his team and last seasons Brendan Rogers puts 9. 2 coach you guys doesn't even rate.
Who is 'you guys'? Have you read my posts on Rodgers? And I've never not rated Mourinho, but I don't like his style of play and that's a personal preference.

The rest of your post is silly because you're ignoring Hassenhuttl's career as a whole and are using a few games to draw a conclusion. I guess Fergie conceding 6 goals on a few occasions against Southampton and 5 against Chelsea and Newcastle also shows his poor understanding of defensive aspects of football. Klopp's Liverpool conceding 7 against Aston Villa also showed his lack of understanding too..

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think his teams tire at the end of games. They couldn’t take advantage of the situation and ran out of steam.

It makes whatever Bielsa does with his players all the more impressive. They absolutely murdered Newcastle with their fitness alone in the last 20 minutes.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Southampton looked completely clueless with the extra man for 30 minutes vs Arsenal today. If that were Ole, he'd have been torn apart.
Agree with this. It’s always more difficult to break team that sit back than trying to play counter with high press. I remember watched them earlier this season against crystal palace and Southampton struggled to break team down.

GMok

Supports
ATK Mohun Bagan FC
I think his teams tire at the end of games. They couldn’t take advantage of the situation and ran out of steam.

It makes whatever Bielsa does with his players all the more impressive. They absolutely murdered Newcastle with their fitness alone in the last 20 minutes.
Pressing like mad gets you tired. Southampton were lucky that they didn't concede a sucker punch. Still, Hasenhuttl has been one of the better managers in the league.

Bielsa's team gets tired as well. It was quite apparent against Chelsea. And with the winter schedule, all these teams will struggle at some point or other.

Caesar2290

Southampton looked completely clueless with the extra man for 30 minutes vs Arsenal today. If that were Ole, he'd have been torn apart.
Of course he would be torn apart and deservedly so. One manager is managing Manchester United, the other is managing Soton. Expecting Soton to dominate a match even against a 10 man Arsenal team is already a huge compliment for Hassenhuttl.

Agree with this. It’s always more difficult to break team that sit back than trying to play counter with high press. I remember watched them earlier this season against crystal palace and Southampton struggled to break team down.
This season Crystal Palace are no mugs. Should I remind you how we fared against them at OT?

I see your point though, but let's be real: this is Soton we are talking about. They were expected to fight relegation and looking at their personnel I don't see anyone who can produce a defense spliting pass a la Mata, Bruno or Pogba. Inggs is the only one who stands out in that team I think this is more the result of the system rather than individual brilliance.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Of course he would be torn apart and deservedly so. One manager is managing Manchester United, the other is managing Soton. Expecting Soton to dominate a match even against a 10 man Arsenal team is already a huge compliment for Hassenhuttl.

This season Crystal Palace are no mugs. Should I remind you how we fared against them at OT?

I see your point though, but let's be real: this is Soton we are talking about. They were expected to fight relegation and looking at their personnel I don't see anyone who can produce a defense spliting pass a la Mata, Bruno or Pogba. Inggs is the only one who stands out in that team I think this is more the result of the system rather than individual brilliance.
I never say crystal palace in a mugs team. They are a team that sits deep which is my point and Southampton struggled to even score one goal against them. Now some people can understand why we struggled to break the very defensive team down before Bruno came in last season despite of beating City, spurs & Chelsea because we relied on Pereira and Lingard.

Caesar2290

I never say crystal palace in a mugs team. They are a team that sits deep which is my point and Southampton struggled to even score one goal against them. Now some people can understand why we struggled to break the very defensive team down before Bruno came in last season despite of beating City, spurs & Chelsea because we relied on Pereira and Lingard.
And do you think Southampton has better creative players than those 2? The fact that we are even having this conversation shows what a good job Ralph has done. He has his flaws, like all managers do(bar SAF), but he will learn. One thing is for sure, the man is no David Moyes.

As you can see from the tweet at the beginning of this page the man is a sore loser, and for me that is fantastic news. All serial winners are sore losers: SAF, Wenger, Jose, Pep, Klopp etc

And in case it's not apparent, I'm shilling for him to take over as soon as Ole is done. The man is pro-active, he sets out his teams to attack and dominate their opponents. If we were to hire him I genuinely believe that he would transform our team

My biggest fear is that some other top team like Arsenal/Totenham/Leicester will snap him up before we do. And knowing Woody he will probably overlook him in favor of the safe bet aka Pochettino.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
And do you think Southampton has better creative players than those 2? The fact that we are even having this conversation shows what a good job Ralph has done. He has his flaws, like all managers do(bar SAF), but he will learn. One thing is for sure, the man is no David Moyes.

As you can see from the tweet at the beginning of this page the man is a sore loser, and for me that is fantastic news. All serial winners are sore losers: SAF, Wenger, Jose, Pep, Klopp etc

And in case it's not apparent, I'm shilling for him to take over as soon as Ole is done. The man is pro-active, he sets out his teams to attack and dominate their opponents. If we were to hire him I genuinely believe that he would transform our team

My biggest fear is that some other top team like Arsenal/Totenham/Leicester will snap him up before we do. And knowing Woody he will probably overlook him in favor of the safe bet aka Pochettino.
I never say Southampton have better players and said Ralph isn’t doing a good job. You didn’t read my post properly at all mate.

My point still stands though. It’s always more difficult to break team that sit back than trying to play counter with high press. You can play counter and high press with Southampton players and Pereira/Lingard. But it’s different story when you are trying to break team and sit back with those players. Majority manager nowadays without enough quality players will struggle to break very defensive team.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I never say Southampton have better players and said Ralph isn’t doing a good job. You didn’t read my post properly at all mate.

My point still stands though. It’s always more difficult to break team that sit back than trying to play counter with high press. You can play counter and high press with Southampton players and Pereira/Lingard. But it’s different story when you are trying to break team and sit back with those players. Majority manager nowadays without enough quality players will struggle to break very defensive team.
But isn't that the whole point of playing defensively, i.e., being hard to break down? Everyone struggles against those (bar City the previous few years maybe). So obviously Southampton will have that problem as well. At that point, you need a combination of strong pass & move patterns and players who can either execute that at sufficient speed (City's approach) or can make the difference individually (à la Bruno). That's why Hasenhüttl won't be able to make this Southampton into a truly dominant team, cause he just doesn't have the personnel to be that good. I'm sure you're all aware of that, but I think the conclusion has to be to cut Hasenhüttl a lot of slack for struggling against deep-block teams.

Of course, the alternative is to adopt another approach entirely, but systems coaches can't radically change their game plan from one game to another (and thus go against all the routines they've been drilling into their players), so that's not an option for Southampton. And playing less offensively yourself anyway won't do much good against a very defensive team.

jamesjimmybyrondean

My biggest fear is that some other top team like Arsenal/Totenham/Leicester will snap him up before we do. And knowing Woody he will probably overlook him in favor of the safe bet aka Pochettino
Agree with this. He's my first choice to replace Ole if or when he leaves. I think by that time (or even now) we would have a squad that can compete but would still be behind the likes of Liverpool in terms of overall squad quality and experience. So what we would need is a manager with a winning mentality that can get players to punch above their weight of we were to win the league

Micky Targaryen

That is why he is behind Solskjaer in every way possible, He has lot to learn being manager.
Behind Ole is every way possible? Bloody hell, you're obsessed with Ole. Where on the table do you picture Southampton with Ole in charge?
Call me crazy, but I'd rather take a sore loser manager like Jose, Klopp, Fergie, Hassenhuttl any day over a tame friendly manager like Ole.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
But isn't that the whole point of playing defensively, i.e., being hard to break down? Everyone struggles against those (bar City the previous few years maybe). So obviously Southampton will have that problem as well. At that point, you need a combination of strong pass & move patterns and players who can either execute that at sufficient speed (City's approach) or can make the difference individually (à la Bruno). That's why Hasenhüttl won't be able to make this Southampton into a truly dominant team, cause he just doesn't have the personnel to be that good. I'm sure you're all aware of that, but I think the conclusion has to be to cut Hasenhüttl a lot of slack for struggling against deep-block teams.

Of course, the alternative is to adopt another approach entirely, but systems coaches can't radically change their game plan from one game to another (and thus go against all the routines they've been drilling into their players), so that's not an option for Southampton. And playing less offensively yourself anyway won't do much good against a very defensive team.
Please Read the post mate.

I didn’t give a slack to Hasenhüttl. I was pointing to people who criticised Ole who said that he couldn’t break a team that sit deep. In reality, you need more quality players like Bruno not Lingard or pereira or walcott. Ole wasn’t the only one who find it hard to break a team down with lack quality players but good manager like Hasenhüttl also had tough time.

Number32

Ole aside, how about Tony Pulis or Big Sam for comparison? Most of their goals are coming from set pieces or physical game by Adams and Ings. I don't think they are playing a good football like they used to do in Poch-Koeman era.

Sam's Bolton or a Tony's Stoke, that's what I see Southampton right now. This guy Ward-Prowse gave them 3 goals in 3 set pieces against Villa, then they were winning 4-3 despite sitting at the back for 90 minutes. He's getting exposed when Arsenal park the bus with ten men, but some people here still wants him to take United Job? It's beyond ridiculous.
They were expected to fight relegation and looking at their personnel I don't see anyone who can produce a defense spliting pass a la Mata, Bruno or Pogba. Inggs is the only one who stands out in that team I think this is more the result of the system rather than individual brilliance.
Don't you see Ward-Prowse is playing like a young David Beckham there? it's Hassenhuttl's fault not to use him further forward, because controlling the game is not in his game plan.
Being a set-pieces merchant is the result of his system, then hoping individual brilliance take him further.

Caesar2290

Fair enough. I thought it was a jab at Ralph, but now that I reread your post you do make a lot of valid points

Ole aside, how about Tony Pulis or Big Sam for comparison? Most of their goals are coming from set pieces or physical game by Adams and Ings. I don't think they are playing a good football like they used to do in Poch-Koeman era.
Pullis, Big Sam? Mate are we watching the same Soton? Aside from set-piece goals there is no correlation between them. Also let me know when either Pullis or Big Sam will manager RB Leipzig and lead them a 2nd place finish in the Bundesliga with their highest ever point tally.

Sam's Bolton or a Tony's Stoke, that's what I see Southampton right now. This guy Ward-Prowse gave them 3 goals in 3 set pieces against Villa, then they were winning 4-3 despite sitting at the back for 90 minutes. He's getting exposed when Arsenal park the bus with ten men, but some people here still wants him to take United Job? It's beyond ridiculous.
Do you want to know what's beyond ridiculous? Hiring a manager who's only PL experience is sacking Cardiff and then getting sacked for leaving them in the relegation zone in the championship.

And I don't understand your logic. How was he exposed against a 10 man Arsenal? This isn't FIFA. Arsenal might be down, but they're no mugs. Reminder that the same Arsenal handed us 1-0 defeat. When Pep was managing the peak Xavi-Iniesta-Messi Barcelona in 2012 he got dumped out by a 10 man Chelsea despite the fact that he was leading 2-0. Was Pep also "exposed"?

tomaldinho1

Bielsa has had a more money and it shows, Leeds are not big spenders but they have managed to bring in a few solid acquisitions: Rodrigo, Llorente, Rafinha, Costa, Koch.. they spent ~£100m this summer & lost no one bar some loans.

Hasenhuttl's issue is squad depth and squad quality. Look at who he has signed versus who he has lost. They bought Salisu, Diallo and made Walker-Peter permanent whilst losing their captain Hojberg, they spend net ~£20m. United are crying out for someone like him who has the longer term vision, has a style that is both modern and, clearly, functional in the PL and can prove he has developed players who we all thought were dog shite into consistently decent PL players. If he were here our 'Deadwood' threads might finally quieten down a bit!

Hasenhuttl's big issue is fatigue and needing a better CB (which Salisu might become) with some pace because they dominated Tottenham, especially first half, but ended up losing heavily because they don't really have that much quality up top bar Ings (as was evident versus us) and so will always be vulnerable to the top team who can call on players like Son, Rashford, Salah etc. to exploit their high line.

What's funny is we keep seeing posters using the phrase 'hipster' because a coach tries something new/different and is foreign but the alternative to that is essentially doing what Wolves and Palace do & can you imagine a full season of essentially 15 odd teams all just playing on the counter...PL would be so boring.

Foxbatt

How low have we fallen now? Comparing ourselves to Southampton? Our reserves probably cost more than their first eleven. Getting a point against Arsenal is a good for them. Arsenal though they are struggling are no mugs. They even beat us at home.

The more I see of him the better I like him. I think he is the better choice than Poch but knowing Woodward he is going to get Poch.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Please Read the post mate.

I didn’t give a slack to Hasenhüttl. I was pointing to people who criticised Ole who said that he couldn’t break a team that sit deep. In reality, you need more quality players like Bruno not Lingard or pereira or walcott. Ole wasn’t the only one who find it hard to break a team down with lack quality players but good manager like Hasenhüttl also had tough time.
Sorry, I should have written that better. I was mostly responding to your final comment that 'Majority manager nowadays without enough quality players will struggle to break very defensive team.' I read that as implying that they should try something else to break them down, and that's what I responded to.

3KDré

The football he’s got his team playing is ridiculous given the players he has. I think this second half thing can be alleviated at a bigger club with better squads.

AndersB

Do you want to know what's beyond ridiculous? Hiring a manager who's only PL experience is sacking Cardiff and then getting sacked for leaving them in the relegation zone in the championship.
You have to admit, though - it was pretty awesome that time Ole sacked Cardiff, hence being sacked back himself.

matt23

Caf seems to have become rather sensitive when it comes to these 'hipster' managers these days.

If I didn't know better I'd say some of you are a bit insecure about Ole, and have now taken to trying to discredit every manager who's being given praise for the job they're doing.

I like the way Southampton play, seems everyone is playing to the system. They do tire and they aren't great at defending though but that is what's going to happen when you press from the start and focus on attack.

Anyone remember anything about Ole's time at Cardiff other than it coming to an inevitable end after a relegation and a poor start in the Championship?

Matt851

Caf seems to have become rather sensitive when it comes to these 'hipster' managers these days.

If I didn't know better I'd say some of you are a bit insecure about Ole, and have now taken to trying to discredit every manager who's being given praise for the job they're doing.

I like the way Southampton play, seems everyone is playing to the system. They do tire and they aren't great at defending though but that is what's going to happen when you press from the start and focus on attack.

Anyone remember anything about Ole's time at Cardiff other than it coming to an inevitable end after a relegation and a poor start in the Championship?
Seems that way doesnt it.

Looking at that Southampton squad i really do think they would be fighting relegation in the wrong hands

His team does get fatigued but that is understandable given the lack of squad depth and ultimately worth it based on the results. Even leeds have a much deeper squad

90 + 5min

Behind Ole is every way possible? Bloody hell, you're obsessed with Ole. Where on the table do you picture Southampton with Ole in charge?
Call me crazy, but I'd rather take a sore loser manager like Jose, Klopp, Fergie, Hassenhuttl any day over a tame friendly manager like Ole.
I'm not obsessed. Why should I be. Right now, Hassenhuttl is behind Solskjaer.

Foxbatt

I'm not obsessed. Why should I be. Right now, Hassenhuttl is behind Solskjaer.
Is he? In salary wise for sure. At this moment in time the club he is managing is above the club Ole is managing. So at this moment in time for football reasons he is above Ole.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Is he? In salary wise for sure. At this moment in time the club he is managing is above the club Ole is managing. So at this moment in time for football reasons he is above Ole.
Whether you like Solskjaer or not it seems a bit harsh to not take into account the fact that United have 2 games in hand over Southampton.

90 + 5min

Can you explain which areas of management / coaching ole is better than hassenhuttl in?
Tacticaly first and most. There is lot more in Solskjaer bag of tactics then Hassenhuttl. And of course psycological where Solskajer is coping very well at big, big team while Hassenhuttl can coach without any pressure.

This should not be seen that I think Hassenhuttl is bad. Not at all. But he is behind Solskjaer.

No pressure, two games more, only domestic games makes life easier.

Matt851

Tacticaly first and most. There is lot more in Solskjaer bag of tactics then Hassenhuttl. And of course psycological where Solskajer is coping very well at big, big team while Hassenhuttl can coach without any pressure.

This should not be seen that I think Hassenhuttl is bad. Not at all. But he is behind Solskjaer.

No pressure, two games more, only domestic games makes life easier.
Ole is better than hassenhuttl tactically :lol: sure he is