Ralph Hasenhüttl

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Was it the correct decision?
People just remember the thrashings but he was the only thing keeping a terrible squad competitive. They are seeing the reality now and have shot themselves in the foot.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
People just remember the thrashings but he was the only thing keeping a terrible squad competitive. They are seeing the reality now and have shot themselves in the foot.
And strangely enough for me the trashings made little sense because more often than not Southampton looked like a well coached team full of below average players. In my opinion those memorable results weren't a good representation of the coaching or the effort put by the players.

galwayfa

I rate Hasenhuttl, maybe the tread about burnout on the other managers applies a small bit here,

Maluco

And strangely enough for me the trashings made little sense because more often than not Southampton looked like a well coached team full of below average players. In my opinion those memorable results weren't a good representation of the coaching or the effort put by the players.
I agree completely. They were always well drilled and had an identity and a plan when they played. It was high stakes, so the few times it went awry, they were smashed, but they usually competed well and could beat the teams around them. As you say, they have less quality almost every game in the PL, so I don’t understand what the board were seeing.

It’s hard to see them beating anyone now with a lesser coach. The board have obviously overestimated the quality of their squad and underestimated the job that he was doing with them.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I honestly don't know what clubs like Southampton expect when they sack managers like him. He was doing a decent job considering their squad is well below average for the league. Honestly what do they expect a new manager to do? Do they not consider that, actually, he might be overachieving with what they gave him? Because he was. I said this for a long time but he was doing a good job there.

Logic goes out of the window these days in football. Posters a couple of pages back saying he was doing nothing anyway, or that he deserves to be sacked, I'd love to hear from you. One or two of those posters even defended Ole after he spent hundreds of millions of £ and was a travesty of a coach. Yet they somehow have higher expectations from the Southampton manager? Laughable.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Think Southampton getting relegated with ease shows the really good job he did there for last three years.

I could understand at the time them letting him go but really their summer transfer policy was a massive risk and when you look at how bad they've been for months on end he'd still probably have found a way to get an extra 10 points and keep them up.

I've been very surprised he hasn't been in consideration for some of the jobs that have come up in the prem in last few months unless he's just waiting for Bundesliga return in the summer.

Maluco

Think Southampton getting relegated with ease shows the really good job he did there for last three years.

I could understand at the time them letting him go but really their summer transfer policy was a massive risk and when you look at how bad they've been for months on end he'd still probably have found a way to get an extra 10 points and keep them up.

I've been very surprised he hasn't been in consideration for some of the jobs that have come up in the prem in last few months unless he's just waiting for Bundesliga return in the summer.
He is a good coach and was working with nothing there. It’s taken the board to sack him to realize how poor the team they “assembled” actually is. Just selling off proven assets one by one and he kept them competitive.

I think a team like Palace with him at the helm and a few more high energy additions (Gallagher etc) could do very well.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I honestly don't know what clubs like Southampton expect when they sack managers like him. He was doing a decent job considering their squad is well below average for the league. Honestly what do they expect a new manager to do? Do they not consider that, actually, he might be overachieving with what they gave him? Because he was. I said this for a long time but he was doing a good job there.

Logic goes out of the window these days in football. Posters a couple of pages back saying he was doing nothing anyway, or that he deserves to be sacked, I'd love to hear from you. One or two of those posters even defended Ole after he spent hundreds of millions of £ and was a travesty of a coach. Yet they somehow have higher expectations from the Southampton manager? Laughable.
To such people sacking is the solution to anything. They'll probably blame the relegation on not enough sackings.

Abraxas

Bringing in Nathan Jones was madness too
Yes, that was a terrible decision in hindsight. I say in hindsight, but really...if they'd done the homework on him and his track record and looked at his personality they could have seen it coming a mile away.

They were probably in a lot of trouble with that squad anyway, but if they'd got a proper firefighter they'd have had a chance.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He is a good coach and was working with nothing there. It’s taken the board to sack him to realize how poor the team they “assembled” actually is. Just selling off proven assets one by one and he kept them competitive.

I think a team like Palace with him at the helm and a few more high energy additions (Gallagher etc) could do very well.
Yes Palace would be a good fit.

Bit bemused why Leeds didn't reach out to him before they got in Gracia unless he wasn't interested.

Maluco

Yes Palace would be a good fit.

Bit bemused why Leeds didn't reach out to him before they got in Gracia unless he wasn't interested.
Leeds would have been a good one too. I think he his reputation took a hit at Southampton unjustly. Maybe that will be corrected now that people have seen where they are without him.

OrcaFat

Pretty happy to see Southampton relegated mostly because I developed a chronic dislike of them when Hassenhutl was there. He was a decent coach but overrated and a twit. Pains me to say they would have done better to stick with him.