Ralph Hasenhüttl

Foxbatt

Whether you like Solskjaer or not it seems a bit harsh to not take into account the fact that United have 2 games in hand over Southampton.
Yes they have and they are 4 points ahead. But we are comparing the biggest club in the world to a club most people have near heard of. The last time they won something was probably in 1976?
I like Ole as a person but not as a coach.

Foxbatt

Tacticaly first and most. There is lot more in Solskjaer bag of tactics then Hassenhuttl. And of course psycological where Solskajer is coping very well at big, big team while Hassenhuttl can coach without any pressure.

This should not be seen that I think Hassenhuttl is bad. Not at all. But he is behind Solskjaer.

No pressure, two games more, only domestic games makes life easier.
In Cardiff I guess there should have been no pressure at all then?

Caesar2290

No pressure, two games more, only domestic games makes life easier.
No pressure? You're having a laugh mate. After that 9-0 loss against Leicester every man and his dog was calling for his sacking. Credit to the Soton board for sticking with him though. Not only was Ralph being able to steady the ship, but he eventually got them to where they are today.

If you want to talk about pressure, let's talk about United. Name a top club that has less pressure than United. Pro-tip: You can't.

If Ole was at any other top club he would have been sacked on at least 4 different occasions. But this is Manchester United, we do things differently here. We don't sack LVG despite the man playing the most mind numbing football for 2 years and not being able to win a game to save his life. We still hold onto Mourinho despite the fact that he was trying to get sacked as hard as he could. But yeah, pressure...
Bielsa has had a more money and it shows, Leeds are not big spenders but they have managed to bring in a few solid acquisitions: Rodrigo, Llorente, Rafinha, Costa, Koch.. they spent ~£100m this summer & lost no one bar some loans.

Hasenhuttl's issue is squad depth and squad quality. Look at who he has signed versus who he has lost. They bought Salisu, Diallo and made Walker-Peter permanent whilst losing their captain Hojberg, they spend net ~£20m. United are crying out for someone like him who has the longer term vision, has a style that is both modern and, clearly, functional in the PL and can prove he has developed players who we all thought were dog shite into consistently decent PL players. If he were here our 'Deadwood' threads might finally quieten down a bit!

Hasenhuttl's big issue is fatigue and needing a better CB (which Salisu might become) with some pace because they dominated Tottenham, especially first half, but ended up losing heavily because they don't really have that much quality up top bar Ings (as was evident versus us) and so will always be vulnerable to the top team who can call on players like Son, Rashford, Salah etc. to exploit their high line.

What's funny is we keep seeing posters using the phrase 'hipster' because a coach tries something new/different and is foreign but the alternative to that is essentially doing what Wolves and Palace do & can you imagine a full season of essentially 15 odd teams all just playing on the counter...PL would be so boring.
By todays standards Wenger was also a hipster when he first arrived. Even SAF laughed at "his methods". He wasn't laughing a year later when he won the league.

Thinking about what you said I tried imagining how Ralph would set up with our team. I already see that he is going to bin De Gea, Maguire, Pogba and possibly Martial as they're not suited for his high press high line approach. He would probably sign a dynamic ball playing CB, a creative CM and a CF and I think he would be done in his first window. Something tells me he would love Rashford, Fred, McTomminay, VdB, Bruno, Greenwood and James. Yes, Daniel James. He is perfectly suited for Ralph's style of play. There is a reason why Bielsa who has a similar style wanted to get him this transfer window.

The football he’s got his team playing is ridiculous given the players he has. I think this second half thing can be alleviated at a bigger club with better squads.
He can and he showed this during his time at Leipzig. His team wasn't just good offensively but had a really good defense as well.

90 + 5min

In Cardiff I guess there should have been no pressure at all then?
No? To save them in Premier League, with bad squad in his first job outside Norway.

No pressure? You're having a laugh mate. After that 9-0 loss against Leicester every man and his dog was calling for his sacking. Credit to the Soton board for sticking with him though. Not only was Ralph being able to steady the ship, but he eventually got them to where they are today.

If you want to talk about pressure, let's talk about United. Name a top club that has less pressure than United. Pro-tip: You can't.

If Ole was at any other top club he would have been sacked on at least 4 different occasions. But this is Manchester United, we do things differently here. We don't sack LVG despite the man playing the most mind numbing football for 2 years and not being able to win a game to save his life. We still hold onto Mourinho despite the fact that he was trying to get sacked as hard as he could. But yeah, pressure...

By todays standards Wenger was also a hipster when he first arrived. Even SAF laughed at "his methods". He wasn't laughing a year later when he won the league.

Thinking about what you said I tried imagining how Ralph would set up with our team. I already see that he is going to bin De Gea, Maguire, Pogba and possibly Martial as they're not suited for his high press high line approach. He would probably sign a dynamic ball playing CB, a creative CM and a CF and I think he would be done in his first window. Something tells me he would love Rashford, Fred, McTomminay, VdB, Bruno, Greenwood and James. Yes, Daniel James. He is perfectly suited for Ralph's style of play. There is a reason why Bielsa who has a similar style wanted to get him this transfer window.

He can and he showed this during his time at Leipzig. His team wasn't just good offensively but had a really good defense as well.
Him not being sacked after 9-0 was evidence of no pressure. As you said that everybody outside club wanted him sacked but Southampton board didn't do that. They did the wise thing. Give manager time. As I said, he is not bad manager but Solskjaer is still better in many ways. Maybe some day, he will be better than Solskjaer but he is not there yet.

Van Gaal should have been given more time. Mourinho sacked himself.

If he (Hassenhuttl) ever came to ManUtd he would still need time. Like every manager need. And I'm not saying 1-2 years. But why should he when we are playing good, making progress and shadowing last years champions.

tomaldinho1

No? To save them in Premier League, with bad squad in his first job outside Norway.

Him not being sacked after 9-0 was evidence of no pressure. As you said that everybody outside club wanted him sacked but Southampton board didn't do that. They did the wise thing. Give manager time. As I said, he is not bad manager but Solskjaer is still better in many ways. Maybe some day, he will be better than Solskjaer but he is not there yet.

If he (Hassenhuttl) ever came to ManUtd he would still need time. Like every manager need. And I'm not saying 1-2 years. But why should he when we are playing good, making progress and shadowing last years champions.
You have lost the plot

Number32

Pullis, Big Sam? Mate are we watching the same Soton? Aside from set-piece goals there is no correlation between them. Also let me know when either Pullis or Big Sam will manager RB Leipzig and lead them a 2nd place finish in the Bundesliga with their highest ever point tally.

Do you want to know what's beyond ridiculous? Hiring a manager who's only PL experience is sacking Cardiff and then getting sacked for leaving them in the relegation zone in the championship.

And I don't understand your logic. How was he exposed against a 10 man Arsenal? This isn't FIFA. Arsenal might be down, but they're no mugs. Reminder that the same Arsenal handed us 1-0 defeat. When Pep was managing the peak Xavi-Iniesta-Messi Barcelona in 2012 he got dumped out by a 10 man Chelsea despite the fact that he was leading 2-0. Was Pep also "exposed"?
Big Sam was 5th in the Premire League with a fecking Bolton. Leipzig, the new sugar daddy football club? Nothing special finishing 2nd in Bundesliga with that squad. In the last 2 decades, Bremen and Wolfsburg were winning it with a worse squad by miles.

Yes we saw the same Southampton here, the same mid-table football club for years. They are playing with the same game plan every match. Pressing high early, then sitting back when their energy is going down. They counter attack the opposition side by using Ings and Adams strenght, then here comes the set-piece advantages. The only difference between him and Big Sam is pressing high early in the first half, but that would be costly when the players are getting tired in the 2nd half. Their goal-differences are 3rd worst in the 2nd half just behind Sheffield and Westbrom.

So you can't blame him because it's only Southampton. Therefore, you can't be serious when coming with the logic of two elite football clubs playing in the semi final of Champions League?

Why don't you mention a team like Leicester, or Westham, or Villa first before jumping the discussion to another stratosphere?

passing-wind

Usually I'd have drifted past this type of post but I just had to notify that this is so far off the mark of reality. Southampton have only really been in the league for the last 8 or so years prior to promotion from the lower division. The idea that the owners / stakeholders have no interest in their business to then objectify goals for the managers is lunacy.

I cannot understand this assumption that pressure exists within top clubs exclusively. Lower league and mid-table clubs have far less resources to work with, this therefore requires them to get things done with very minimal criteria for failure. That's across recruitment, tactical framework, coaching implementation etc are you telling me pressure cannot be felt within these metrics ? For me personally they are doing well, it's not like they are riddled with European powerhouses, it's a very average team with a decent manager getting feasible results.

90 + 5min

Usually I'd have drifted past this type of post but I just had to notify that this is so far off the mark of reality. Southampton have only really been in the league for the last 8 or so years prior to promotion from the lower division. The idea that the owners / stakeholders have no interest in their business to then objectify goals for the managers is lunacy.

I cannot understand this assumption that pressure exists within top clubs exclusively. Lower league and mid-table clubs have far less resources to work with, this therefore requires them to get things done with very minimal criteria for failure. That's across recruitment, tactical framework, coaching implementation etc are you telling me pressure cannot be felt within these metrics ? For me personally they are doing well, it's not like they are riddled with European powerhouses, it's a very average team with a decent manager getting feasible results.
Of course you have interest and some kind of pressure (depending on goals of the club) but pressure is way higher in top clubs. Pressure to deliver. Or in clubs in the bottom. Pressure to survive and keep getting lot of money. Mid table clubs are mid table clubs.
Nobody is saying that they are doing bad.

Caesar2290

Big Sam was 5th in the Premire League with a fecking Bolton. Leipzig, the new sugar daddy football club? Nothing special finishing 2nd in Bundesliga with that squad. In the last 2 decades, Bremen and Wolfsburg were winning it with a worse squad by miles.
Mate, you're having a shocker. Bolton never finished higher than 6th with big Sam in charge. It happened in 2004-2005 and even then that team was filled with a mix of international and experienced players. Here are some of them: Jaaskalainen, Ben Haim, Hierro, Ivan Campo, Kevin Nolan, Jay Jay Ochocha, Gianakopulus, Gary Speed(RIP), El Hadji Diouf, Ricardo Vaz Te and Kevin Davis(feck him injuring Cleverly). The reason I'm mentioning them is because all of them are vintage PL players. You can't think of the PL in the Mid '00 without thinking at least about one of these guys. And do you know why? Because they were really good PL players.

Now compare that to the current Soton side and we only have Ings, Ward Prose, Walcott, Long and Forster who are comparable. Everyone else are good players, but nobody is going to remember them in 5-10 years time. You'll see them mentioned in one of these "Players you've forgotten that existed" threads.

Yes we saw the same Southampton here, the same mid-table football club for years. They are playing with the same game plan every match. Pressing high early, then sitting back when their energy is going down. They counter attack the opposition side by using Ings and Adams strenght, then here comes the set-piece advantages. The only difference between him and Big Sam is pressing high early in the first half, but that would be costly when the players are getting tired in the 2nd half. Their goal-differences are 3rd worst in the 2nd half just behind Sheffield and Westbrom.
Well damn. I guess the CEO is doing the coaching and training then if all of the coaches change, but their tactics are the same. Ralph must be stealing a living. Must have some the best job in the world where you just show up collect your paycheck and nothing changes because that's the way the club is run.

I can clearly tell that you're not watching a lot of football. Soton has a lot less resources then some of the clubs you mentioned. They are the modern day equivalent of Wigan Athletic. Unlike other clubs you mentioned such as West Ham and Leicester who can keep their core groups of players for years running, Soton is a small selling club. They constantly have to sell their top players just to balance their books. A PL equivalent of Monaco and Ajax.

This is why Ralph has them playing the way they are. A bare bones squad require bare bones solutions, hence the other reliance on set pieces. Or do you want to tell me that set pieces are an inferior tactic? That Fergie's Treble winners were also set piece merchants because we literally won the CL final via 2 corners and started our comeback against Juve via a corner as well.

And one thing you should take note about Soton is how good their recruiting is in general even amongst managers. If they were a success there, they were a success elsewhere. Poch at Spurs and Koeman is now managing Barca. Those lads clearly know what they're doing.

And what is your obsession with Big Sam? Bring up Moyes. The man literally finished 4th with Everton. He also relied on set pieces to earn points with Fellaini and Tim Cahill being really good headers of the ball. And right now he is going a pretty good job at West Ham.

Number32

Mate, you're having a shocker. Bolton never finished higher than 6th with big Sam in charge. It happened in 2004-2005 and even then that team was filled with a mix of international and experienced players. Here are some of them: Jaaskalainen, Ben Haim, Hierro, Ivan Campo, Kevin Nolan, Jay Jay Ochocha, Gianakopulus, Gary Speed(RIP), El Hadji Diouf, Ricardo Vaz Te and Kevin Davis(feck him injuring Cleverly). The reason I'm mentioning them is because all of them are vintage PL players. You can't think of the PL in the Mid '00 without thinking at least about one of these guys. And do you know why? Because they were really good PL players.

Now compare that to the current Soton side and we only have Ings, Ward Prose, Walcott, Long and Forster who are comparable. Everyone else are good players, but nobody is going to remember them in 5-10 years time. You'll see them mentioned in one of these "Players you've forgotten that existed" threads.

Well damn. I guess the CEO is doing the coaching and training then if all of the coaches change, but their tactics are the same. Ralph must be stealing a living. Must have some the best job in the world where you just show up collect your paycheck and nothing changes because that's the way the club is run.

I can clearly tell that you're not watching a lot of football. Soton has a lot less resources then some of the clubs you mentioned. They are the modern day equivalent of Wigan Athletic. Unlike other clubs you mentioned such as West Ham and Leicester who can keep their core groups of players for years running, Soton is a small selling club. They constantly have to sell their top players just to balance their books. A PL equivalent of Monaco and Ajax.

This is why Ralph has them playing the way they are. A bare bones squad require bare bones solutions, hence the other reliance on set pieces. Or do you want to tell me that set pieces are an inferior tactic? That Fergie's Treble winners were also set piece merchants because we literally won the CL final via 2 corners and started our comeback against Juve via a corner as well.

And one thing you should take note about Soton is how good their recruiting is in general even amongst managers. If they were a success there, they were a success elsewhere. Poch at Spurs and Koeman is now managing Barca. Those lads clearly know what they're doing.

And what is your obsession with Big Sam? Bring up Moyes. The man literally finished 4th with Everton. He also relied on set pieces to earn points with Fellaini and Tim Cahill being really good headers of the ball. And right now he is going a pretty good job at West Ham.
Bolton were 5th with 2 games left in 2006-2007 season mate, then Big Sam left them for Newcastle just to feck Bolton's owner. I didn't say Bolton finishing 5th, some players you mention were nearly on their retirement, and some players were bang average or a big club rejects. Like I said in my previous post, Hasenhüttl's system is almost similar with Big Sam and you disagree with that. So what's the point of bring up Moyes into discussion? unless you rate Hasenhüttl at the same level of both Moyes and Big Sam.

I like Southampton in Poch-Koeman era when they played a real attacking football though. For me, Hasenhüttl is a downgrade manager compare to them, he is doing a great job for a mid-table team, but not for a big clubs. He would had managed Bayern if his system was pretty impressive in Germany.

tomaldinho1

Thank you for your kind words.
Just very evident you haven't watched them or have no appreciation for the gulf in quality between the players the respective managers have. There's another poster here saying they are like Bolton, it's just a complete lack of football knowledge and almost pointless to respond to. I'm all up for a logical debate but there's simply none to be had if you genuinely believe Ole is a better coach than him because by every metric he's behind - he's not even ahead of him this season and with a squad where, honestly, the individual quality is embarrassingly different.

This forum's filled with goldfish memory posters, it's funny to see people now claiming Ings is better than our strikers or JWP was always this good. Literally every player (and that's not an exaggeration) has improved under Hasenhuttl to the point posters forget just how crap Romeu was for Chelsea, Redmond for Norwich or how anonymous Walcott was at Everton. Southampton are made up of PL rejects, injury prone players and Championship signings. Add in an attacking philosophy and the clear danger they have from set pieces (weird some posters criticising this and then in other threads crying out for United to work on set pieces) AND results. It's as if you don't understand how a manager at a weaker, smaller team could ever be compared to Ole unless he finishes above him in the league, which is unrealistic and hints at double standards.

They will not be able to stay in the top four, they simply don't have the squad depth or quality but what he is doing is remarkable. Maybe it will all come crashing down and they'll get a couple of injuries which destroy their season but if they can finish top 10, it will be a stellar job when you look at the spending of Wolves, Arsenal, Everton, Leeds, Villa, Spurs, Leicester etc. even Newcastle spent more than them...

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Bolton were 5th with 2 games left in 2006-2007 season mate, then Big Sam left them for Newcastle just to feck Bolton's owner. I didn't say Bolton finishing 5th, some players you mention were nearly on their retirement, and some players were bang average or a big club rejects. Like I said in my previous post, Hasenhüttl's system is almost similar with Big Sam and you disagree with that. So what's the point of bring up Moyes into discussion? unless you rate Hasenhüttl at the same level of both Moyes and Big Sam.

I like Southampton in Poch-Koeman era when they played a real attacking football though. For me, Hasenhüttl is a downgrade manager compare to them, he is doing a great job for a mid-table team, but not for a big clubs. He would had managed Bayern if his system was pretty impressive in Germany.
:lol:

90 + 5min

Just very evident you haven't watched them or have no appreciation for the gulf in quality between the players the respective managers have. There's another poster here saying they are like Bolton, it's just a complete lack of football knowledge and almost pointless to respond to. I'm all up for a logical debate but there's simply none to be had if you genuinely believe Ole is a better coach than him because by every metric he's behind - he's not even ahead of him this season and with a squad where, honestly, the individual quality is embarrassingly different.

This forum's filled with goldfish memory posters, it's funny to see people now claiming Ings is better than our strikers or JWP was always this good. Literally every player (and that's not an exaggeration) has improved under Hasenhuttl to the point posters forget just how crap Romeu was for Chelsea, Redmond for Norwich or how anonymous Walcott was at Everton. Southampton are made up of PL rejects, injury prone players and Championship signings. Add in an attacking philosophy and the clear danger they have from set pieces (weird some posters criticising this and then in other threads crying out for United to work on set pieces) AND results. It's as if you don't understand how a manager at a weaker, smaller team could ever be compared to Ole unless he finishes above him in the league, which is unrealistic and hints at double standards.

They will not be able to stay in the top four, they simply don't have the squad depth or quality but what he is doing is remarkable. Maybe it will all come crashing down and they'll get a couple of injuries which destroy their season but if they can finish top 10, it will be a stellar job when you look at the spending of Wolves, Arsenal, Everton, Leeds, Villa, Spurs, Leicester etc. even Newcastle spent more than them...
You can think that I'm deluded and that it is evident I haven't watched them or don't have appreciation. It is your opinion.

What you still don't seem to understand is that I have not called Hassenhuttl bad manager. He is doing good job. Just because I don't rate him higher then some other manager don't mean that I think he is bad. I know all about difference about quality of squad and dimensions of the job and I still think that Solskjaer is better manager. Ranieri won Premier League with Leicester. Brilliant achivement. But he is not better then Klopp, vanGaal or Wenger who was behind him that season.

tomaldinho1

You can think that I'm deluded and that it is evident I haven't watched them or don't have appreciation. It is your opinion.

What you still don't seem to understand is that I have not called Hassenhuttl bad manager. He is doing good job. Just because I don't rate him higher then some other manager don't mean that I think he is bad. I know all about difference about quality of squad and dimensions of the job and I still think that Solskjaer is better manager. Ranieri won Premier League with Leicester. Brilliant achivement. But he is not better then Klopp, vanGaal or Wenger who was behind him that season.
Yes of course, in the same way my opinion is obviously not infallible. I guess my question is why because it seems so illogical unless the only way you are measuring it, is who is at the bigger club?

With those others they all have tangible track record and trophies where I would understand how someone might debate if LVG was better than Klopp, or if Ranieri's Leicester win was great then Wenger's invincibles. There would be no clear winner because all have been successful.

432JuanMata

Of course its debatable. Don't be ridiculous
Ralph got Ingolstadt promoted then did a good job with Leipzig and now is doing a incredible job at Southampton. Ole still has a lot to prove here and I won’t mention before here as I don’t really care what happened at Cardiff. I’m happy with Ole right now and am excited for this season but Ralph is a better manager than Ole.

Doesn’t mean that this couldn’t change I feel Ole is seeing his mistakes and improving on them but I don’t think it’s a debate at the moment

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Ralph got Ingolstadt promoted then did a good job with Leipzig and now is doing a incredible job at Southampton. Ole still has a lot to prove here and I won’t mention before here as I don’t really care what happened at Cardiff. I’m happy with Ole right now and am excited for this season but Ralph is a better manager than Ole.

Doesn’t mean that this couldn’t change I feel Ole is seeing his mistakes and improving on them but I don’t think it’s a debate at the moment
Two points:

1. Southampton finished 11th last season. Not good, not bad, about par more or less. Probably better to wait and see if current form is sustainable for the whole season because its a trait of football fans to jump all over a team/manager on a hot streak

2. Managing United is nothing like managing Southampton. Incomparable. The demands are very different. The expectations are very different. Ill bet Ole or any other manager at a big club would kill to have the same recover/coach/prepare schedule that is available to the likes of Ralph. No doubt Ralph would love Oles transfer budget too, but that sort of thing comes with a price. The point is, he would need to show that he can perform at a big club before a fair comparison could be made.

AFC NimbleThumb

Wasn’t this guy taking the p*ss out of how we celebrated our comeback win!?

Cue him collapsing to his knees after a backs to the wall victory.

Julz10

His the next best thing out there. Give him
A bit of money and he would be better then klopp

dal

I think he’s delighted he won but it must be something much deeper making him cry maybe someone close to him who knows.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Very emotional. Not sure what was that but what a manager !

Thought Arsenal would go for him but looks like thats unlikely now. Chelsea probably is the best bet which would be a huge shame.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Don't mind it. The sheer effort his team put in must have made him emotional.

Andersonson

Yes they have and they are 4 points ahead. But we are comparing the biggest club in the world to a club most people have near heard of. The last time they won something was probably in 1976?
I like Ole as a person but not as a coach.
Why not as a coach? He's bad at it?