Ralph Hasenhüttl

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The difference is we played counter attacking football in those games and none of those teams at the time had a great defence to deal with that either. Movement is much more important in games where we dominate the ball, because it drags players out of position to create space to attack. We've struggled against almost every team that sits back against us, which in my eyes shows Ole is not properly coaching his players on how to move off the ball, where and when to pass etc etc.
You can't really tell me that Hassenhutal or Wilder have to play against a low block... We've obviously done it at some point, or we wouldn't be fifth. We've just not done it consistently and the squad is shite, we have no actual alternatives to improve our attacking play. I just find it so strange people with no experience coaching football teams at a high level - and have no idea about our training sessions can definitively say Ole doesn't train this.

Borussin

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Not really its the same thing with Rodgers at Leicester too. Lifted an underperforming team. You dont need money to get a team playing cohesively.
That Leicester squad cost a fair bit to be fair, so they did need money to purchase them! Their starting 11 is a very talented group, I would say rather than being underperformers, which sort of suggests a lack of effort, they where performing to a negative coach who wasn't playing to their strengths. Rodgers is of course far more cohesive and attack minded. He is getting what a good coach should be getting out of that squad, overachieving a bit if they get top four though for sure. But they are for me the 5th or 6th best squad in the PL, so it's only a 'slight' over achievement. There's players in Leicester team that could grace a lot of the leagues bigger teams and plenty of good clubs in the other big leagues, players like Ndidi, Soyuncu, Madisson, Perreira, Teielemans and Chilwell to name some.

Southampton's squad is nowhere near the quality of course. They are maybe 4th or 5th worst squad in terms of quality in the league, which shows the good job Hasenhüttl is doing.

He is a very good coach, he showed it at different levels in Germany, and it's good to see that he has been able to turn things around in Southampton.

3KDré

You can't really tell me that Hassenhutal or Wilder have to play against a low block... We've obviously done it at some point, or we wouldn't be fifth. We've just not done it consistently and the squad is shite, we have no actual alternatives to improve our attacking play. I just find it so strange people with no experience coaching football teams at a high level - and have no idea about our training sessions can definitively say Ole doesn't train this.
Our starting XI is almost completely different this season compared to Mourinho's and it has been a year now. Ole has had a year to implement his philosophy but there are very few signs of this. In the year he has been here I can say that when we counter its with more intent and pace, sometimes we press well in parts of games but not consistently and our shape has improved. These aren't enough for me. Can you honestly tell me a 5 game stretch we've had post- permanent appointment where you can say you've seen us consistently show a style of play or philosophy?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Our starting XI is almost completely different this season compared to Mourinho's and it has been a year now. Ole has had a year to implement his philosophy but there are very few signs of this. In the year he has been here I can say that when we counter its with more intent and pace, sometimes we press well in parts of games but not consistently and our shape has improved. These aren't enough for me. Can you honestly tell me a 5 game stretch we've had post- permanent appointment where you can say you've seen us consistently show a style of play or philosophy?
No, but I also can't really seem a 5 game stretch where we've had consistent performances from players. I don't really feel like a year is particularly a long time as when he took over we were in relegation form. He had the dead cat bounce when he first came in and then all the players went south again. It will take longer than a year to reverse the mistakes we've made prior. I'm not sure Ole is 100% the right man for it either, but he's got rid of a lot of players we were asking to get rid of, blooded youngsters and shown some great performances along the way. Is that good enough long term? of course not, but trying to hold Hussenhattl up as an example of how to do it is a bit weird.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Do you think he would be a good fit at United directly after Ole? I've started a thread in the United forum as I have a strong feeling that Ole is gone in the summer hence the reluctance to give him any money this January despite our injury crisis. It seems Poch is gathering momentum again along with the fact he's been very quiet and not taken another job.

I'd be open minded to a change but do feel Ole will be gone regardless in the summer.
Actually, I think he would be a better fit than Poch. While Poch is a brilliant coach he still need 2 capable full backs who can support with quality passes in the final third. We have already invested enough this year and so I dont think we will spend in that area for next couple of years. Means- Pochs system will be severely handicapped.

This guy works best with a 4222 - Maddison or Bruno and Pogba (or his replacement) can take up that 2 attacking mids, supported by 2 hardworking midfielders of Fred and McT, with Martial and Rashford taking up 2 front positions

As Hasenhüttl outlined his approach to Martin Keown in an interview with the Daily Mail, he said: "The best playmaker is the ball winner. Statistically, the chance of creating a goal is higher within 10 seconds of winning the ball.

"We have four parts of our game: working against the ball; in possession; losing the ball; winning the ball. If you are good in all four parts, you have a good chance of winning."

This strategy is also borne out in the numbers. So far this season, only Manchester City and Leicester have allowed fewer opposition passes before they attempt a defensive action than Southampton. With the Saints pressing at almost the same rate as Liverpool.

No wonder they lead the most tackles per game and fouls per game. these fouls are mostly tactical fouls .

TheReligion

Abusive
Actually, I think he would be a better fit than Poch. While Poch is a brilliant coach he still need 2 capable full backs who can support with quality passes in the final third. We have already invested enough this year and so I dont think we will spend in that area for next couple of years. Means- Pochs system will be severely handicapped.

This guy works best with a 4222 - Maddison or Bruno and Pogba (or his replacement) can take up that 2 attacking mids, supported by 2 hardworking midfielders of Fred and McT, with Martial and Rashford taking up 2 front positions

No wonder they lead the most tackles per game and fouls per game. these fouls are mostly tactical fouls .
From what you're saying then, and with a 4222, he could come in pretty much right away and work with what we have rather than needing to spend alot.

Something like;

DDG
AWB
Maguire
Lindelof
Williams
Fred
Mctominay
Pogba
Mata
Rashford
Martial

Obviously an upgrade on Mata would be the first place we'd look but on paper that's not bad for his system surely? Also think we'd have the variation that both Rashford and Martial could go wide allowing Pogba and the other AM to break into the space. Would be hard to play against and you'd have the likes of James and Greenwood on the bench.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Firstly expectations/pressures are different, secondly you're taking a view when they've finally found some good form and we have since dipped and saying "there you go, proof". Let's say Hasenhuttl lost Ward-Prowse for the majority of the season, I don't think he could coach them into performing better without him. There's nothing to suggest their form will just linearly continue either.
Well no, not really. I'm talking about what he did in Germany and how he's turned things around from bad to good at Southampton. Solskjaer went from good to bad but he's not shown he can lift the players and that's what a manager needs to do. I'm not even just judging Solsjkaer on the small period with injuries. This has been going on since the end of last season, something a lot of people seem to conveniently forget when talking about the injury problems. We were crap even when we had our best players available.

Caesar2290

Call me crazy, but I would take him over Poch to United right now.

For me this guy has on of the few traits that all the top players have, as well as top coaches. Resilience.

When I saw that 9-0 drubbing I was 100% sure that Soton is going down. To my surprise, they are hovering midtable right now and even beat Leicester away recently. A really nice way to bounce back with that limited squad of theirs.

Now I've seen a lot of coaches who take a beating and close in their shell. LvG after that 5-3 against Leicester, Mourinho after his stint at Real, Keagan after that 1-0 at St.James Park. All top managers, but never the same after those incidents.

This is also why SAF was so successful. He was the most resilient manager I've ever seen. Hammered 4-1 at OT by Liverpool, no problem we're going to lift the title instead. Getting stumped 5-0 by Newcastle, and then routed 6-3 by Soton in 1996-1997. No problem, we lift the title again. Destroyed 6-1 by City at OT, we still were 12 points clear until we conceded it in the last couple of games.

My point is, that every top manager in the making has this trait. Poch... I'm not entirely convinced that he does, especially after Dany Rose's interview(where he claims that Poch went off the rails after the CL final).

I did a bit of research and this man had a newly promoted RB Leipzig playing out of their skin. High pressing, counter-attacking, defensively solid with a sprinkle of youth and individual brilliance.(in a way reminds me of how United used to play under prime SAF and how Pool are playing under Klopp now) Here is a short clip about it(I'm new here, can't embed any media yet): RB Leipzig’s Secrets Unveiled - The Recipe for Success

Now I do have my reservations about him... In both his stints, he worked with a competent DoF and a really good scouting network. I'm not sure how he's going to deal with having Woodward as his boss...

bond19821982

knew this fecker would make us pay. What the hell was that? Doing better pressing than Klopps teams.

Skills

Snitch
knew this fecker would make us pay. What the hell was that? Doing better pressing than Klopps teams.
They choked us. You look at how much we were struggling to move the ball compared to how easy they found it to cut through our half arsed press high up the pitch.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
The annoying this was that when we just hoofed it up we could cut through them pretty easily, instead we kept messing around trying to play it out from the back. Sometimes it's okay to go route one.

Skills

Snitch
The annoying this was that when we just hoofed it up we could cut through them pretty easily, instead we kept messing around trying to play it out from the back. Sometimes it's okay to go route one.
Well you can't just revert to route 1, everytime you keep coming across a high pressing side.

We just need to get better at moving the ball against the press. The problem is, we're actually a dreadful pressing team ourselves so I guess we don't get much practice in training on how to cut through it.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Once lost a home game 9-0......

Now showing what made him so highly rated in the Bundesliga. I think he'll get Southampton into the top half next season and that's when clubs higher up will start taking an interest given they took Koeman and Poch when they did that.

Actually wouldn't shock me if Spurs went for him post Mourinho.

Bojan11

I really like what he’s doing with Southampton but his side were very aggressive tonight, I felt. Some challenges were very much on the borderline.
They definitely got away with it with no crowd. And their manager screaming at the ref on every tackle.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Well you can't just revert to route 1, everytime you keep coming across a high pressing side.

We just need to get better at moving the ball against the press. The problem is, we're actually a dreadful pressing team ourselves so I guess we don't get much practice in training on how to cut through it.
I'm not saying revert to route 1 every time we play against a team that can press well, I was specifically talking about this game.

izec

Once lost a home game 9-0......

Now showing what made him so highly rated in the Bundesliga. I think he'll get Southampton into the top half next season and that's when clubs higher up will start taking an interest given they took Koeman and Poch when they did that.

Actually wouldn't shock me if Spurs went for him post Mourinho.
Decent guess. He would fit the Poch replacement profile if we disregard Mourinho.

bond19821982

As Hasenhüttl outlined his approach to Martin Keown in an interview with the Daily Mail, he said: "The best playmaker is the ball winner. Statistically, the chance of creating a goal is higher within 10 seconds of winning the ball.

"We have four parts of our game: working against the ball; in possession; losing the ball; winning the ball. If you are good in all four parts, you have a good chance of winning."

This strategy is also borne out in the numbers. So far this season, only Manchester City and Leicester have allowed fewer opposition passes before they attempt a defensive action than Southampton. With the Saints pressing at almost the same rate as Liverpool.

SuperiorXI

So it wasn't difficult because you're saying it was
No, I'm not saying it was difficult. Read what I said. We were one dimensional, always easy to play against.

Get it up the field, use Matic, Fernandes, stop taking risks at the back. It was no great surprise that Southampton would press us so why did we labor at the back?!

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
What surprised me is that he got his team motivated to play such a high pressing game in a pointless match for them. Nothing to play for yet it looked like they were chasing 3rd place.

Rajma

They choked us. You look at how much we were struggling to move the ball compared to how easy they found it to cut through our half arsed press high up the pitch.
Our pressing wasn’t half arsed but it’s very poorly executed more often than not. Not compact enough and we’re not working angles very well either.
What surprised me is that he got his team motivated to play such a high pressing game in a pointless match for them. Nothing to play for yet it looked like they were chasing 3rd place.
that’s exactly what stood about it for me too, no complacency.

Skills

Snitch
Our pressing wasn’t half arsed but it’s very poorly executed more often than not. Not compact enough and we’re not working angles very well either.
You're right. Our pressing (like everything we do) purely relies on individuals, while they were hunting us down in packs

Dinghy

Most unstable team in the league. Got dominated at home by Arsenal a few matches ago. His players were up for it tonight, unfortunately for us.

James Peril

That really shouldn’t surprise you at all. They played United at Old Trafford, that’s always going to give Wembley-performances more often than La Manga in the summer vibes. Secondly, they have a style and it works better against better teams with naive managers. Focus one is to run more and tackle harder, make sure mistakes are made. Against shit teams and low blocks this doesn’t work and that’s why they are 12th and not 7th. If Soton plays low blocks and low energy counters today, they lose 6-0. Nobody wants to lose that hard.

Robbie Boy

Most unstable team in the league. Got dominated at home by Arsenal a few matches ago. His players were up for it tonight, unfortunately for us.
Their home form has been atrocuois, only Norwich have been worse at home. They have the fourth best away record in the league though.

Superunknown

This isn't a very special Southampton team, but he's got them fighting and playing with spirit. They came to Old Trafford, scored two goals and went away with something, so credit to them for that. They could quite easily have been in a relegation fight, but he's got them at midtable and comfortable for another Premier League season. Clearly a good manager and I think we'll see an even better Southampton side next season with him there.

It's a bad result for us, but clearly they've got a good manager there who set out to annoy us all game and stop us playing the way we wanted to play. They didn't roll over and die in a "nothing" game.

BlahRules

Tottenham should try and get him as soon as possible before Mourinho finishes them off.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I'm not saying revert to route 1 every time we play against a team that can press well, I was specifically talking about this game.
Especially with walker-peters on a yellow and rashford having on toast most of the night. The channels weren't exploited quickly enough for me tonight.