Random goalkeepers you remember

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Some odd shouts in here.

By which I mean that some of these "random" players range from historically great to very good in their own period.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Carlo Nash - Played for City for a bit, but I have a random memory of him getting substitued when the ball went out of play for the first time in a match along with 1 or 2 teammates for Preston in the EFL/Johnstone's Paint/Auto Windscreens/Whatever it was called trophy once. Was watching just because it was a match on telly iand the rules said that you must start something like 6 or 7 of the players who started the previous weekend's game to try and get teams to take it seriously so teams resorted to that tactic, subbing players as early as they could.

Last edited:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Helton. When he was at Porto he just didn’t look like a goalkeeper to me, he was really slight and his jersey always looked two sizes too big for him

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
After seeing Henderson these past two games wearing a cap, I couldn't help but think of Chris Kirkland,

Absolute monster of a keeper, very talented but seemed to be injury prone, back issues if i remember correctly, but he always seemed to wear a cap.

Remember the geese

Faryd Mondragón. Remember him mainly from Galatasaray in the early 00's, though he was also the Colombian number one when Beckham scored a free kick against them in France 98. Think he was rated quite highly at the time, but I can't say I ever really saw too much of him.

abundance

Supports
Inter
Claudio Garella

He made some spectacular mistakes in sequence early in his career at Lazio, so much that for some years a "Garellata" became fans and pundits slang for "keeper blunder".
He looked bulky and somehow unfit but he had great reflexes, a tendency to react to deflected balls and unexpected trajectories with whatever part of his body, and was reckless in going on low balls on the feet of the attackers out of the posts.
Giovanni Agnelli called him "the best keeper in the world... without the hands".

Anyway, he was a very good keeper in the end and got vindicated by defending the goal of Hellas Verona for their first and only Serie A scudetto ever in 1985, and of Napoli for their first ever scudetto in 1987 with Maradona.
Each one of those was a smorgasboard of fan excitement and would've been a career defining moment for any player, and he got two in just two years, bitches.

Leaving with a short blurry compilation of not particularly interesting saves by him, just for the time-period music clip.

Last edited:

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Erik Thorstvedt - Spurs
Bernard Lama
Pagliuca
Sebastien Frey - meant to be the best keeper round for his age at the time
Ruud Hesp
Carlos Roa - think he retired to focus on god? Or some thing similar
Rene Higuita
Frode Grodas
Big Kev Hitchcock
Rami Shaaban

Lionel Charbonnier
Lionel Perez
Jurgen Macho

11 forwards

Supports
Rosenborg
"The Cat", Rinat Fayzrakhmanovich Dasayev. His other nickname "The Iron Curtain" is great, as it places him nicely in time. It's quite accurate too, since he retired in 91. This thread has lasted so long I might even have mentioned him before. Just adds to the randomness of the whole thing. Remember him as a fantastic agile goalkeeper.

RedTiger

Half mast
The great Tony Meola. Back in 94 when I realised the US played footie, I thought this guy must've been like Stallone from escape to victory.

Sean Johnson. Another yank where I got caught up in the teenage hype, thought he was destined for greatness.

Thomas N'kono. Legit one of the best African keepers ever. Represented Cameroon in the great 90 side.

Big Andy

Bloke
Richard Wright. I think I broke him down over the space of 45 minutes when Everton played United. My ST was 2nd row right behind the goal and I was hammered and spent 45 minutes just giving him absolute dogs abuse. Slating his mum, his wife, kids, parents, calling him shit in about 300 different ways. We were 2-0 up at half time I think, and as he came to get his bottle from the net at half time, he looked me square in the eyes and gave me the middle finger and looked like he was about to cry.

I honestly don’t know why I gave him so much abuse, I never did it to anyone else (except for Stephen Hunt of Reading who I had a 2 season spanning abuse campaign with, to the point where he actually remembered me from the previous season when he was warming up and came over purely to call me a wanker)

MUFC07

Gabor Kiraly. Famously used to head straight from hanging around outside Londis to Selhurst Park, without ever getting changed.
Was going to mention him hahahaha it was always so random to play against a keeper wearing pjs

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Fabien Barthez for me. Funny looking and for some reason looked about 5 ft 2 inches even though he was nearer to 6 ft. Then a car racer.

Thiagoal

Thomas Ravelli- pretty much the only Swedish keeper I’ve ever known…(actually I know Magnus Hedman too)

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Peter Enckelman. Played for Aston Villa in and around 2003. I did a fantasy football team with my dad (back when they did them in a newspaper).
Enckelman had a decent game early on in the season against Liverpool so I was convinced he was a good shout.

He ended up being rubbish and letting that throw in go under his foot against Birmingham.

GueRed

Erik Thorstvedt - Spurs
Bernard Lama
Pagliuca
Sebastien Frey - meant to be the best keeper round for his age at the time
Ruud Hesp
Carlos Roa - think he retired to focus on god? Or some thing similar
Rene Higuita
Frode Grodas
Big Kev Hitchcock
Rami Shaaban

Lionel Charbonnier
Lionel Perez
Jurgen Macho
Top keeper.

Yeah something like that. His religion meant he couldnt play on Sundays...

Chipper

Adulterer.
Peter Enckelman. Played for Aston Villa in and around 2003. I did a fantasy football team with my dad (back when they did them in a newspaper).
Enckelman had a decent game early on in the season against Liverpool so I was convinced he was a good shout.

He ended up being rubbish and letting that throw in go under his foot against Birmingham.
I remember that! He got a little touch on it otherwise it would have brought into play one of the lesser known and used rules of the game that you can't score directly from a throw in. It's either a goal kick or corner depending on which team took the throw. Would have been a corner in this case.

I'd quite like to see a ballsy goalie intentionally let an attacking long throw go straight in one day just to see if the ref was on his game. I think a lot of fans would celebrate the 'goal' too and not understand or realise why it was disallowed.

ColvaleGoa

Walter Zenga

Had a cool name and remember as kids we had a goalkeeper who after every save shouted Zengaaaaa. Funny days.

Needham

Steve Sutton. Had a lazy eye. Certain fans called him cyclops. But those were very dark times. Today is MUUUUCH better

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Keith Macrae.
Red headed guy we signed from Aberdeen in the 70s to take over from Joe Corrigan who was dropping too many clangers but it just had the effect of encouraging Joe to up his game and after a couple of years backing up Corrigan Keith eventually slipped back to Scotland.