Random goalkeepers you remember

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
It's hard to even imagine but I grew up watching Gordon Banks every weekend at Leicester & then they replaced him with Peter Shilton. Two of the best keepers to ever wear the England shirt & I got to watch them both. I consider myself very lucky !!

Chipper

Adulterer.
Saw a meme going round of this guy some years ago. Looks the ultimate WUM goalkeeper..

Glenn Verbauwhede

Anyone ever give him a proper kicking? Not that I'd advocate it of course. It's what he wants and he'd 'win' if he wound someone up enough to do it as they'd see red, but then he'd probably be seriously injured in the process so might end up regretting it.

Small part of me would be tempted, not gonna lie.

FatTails

Ochoa. Meh club career, but some great international performances for Mexico...and...nice hair.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Rinat Dasayev - Excellent russian 80s goalkeeper. An agile cat.

Harald Schumacher - For knocking Battiston unconscious and none of the refs noticing. The bloke must've been a decent goalkeeper, but in my memory he's more like a contract killer.

Gary Bailey - Remember from the 70s watching United on telly. Somehow the phrase "Bailey shoots, Bailey saves" got stuck with me. Obviously the Bailey who saved was Gary Bailey, but I'm not sure who the other Bailey was.
Legend had it that he would train on asphalt in short sleeves & shorts in order to skin up his elbows, knees, & hips so the skin would scar & get tougher.

No idea if this is true, but it fits that nutter.

NICanRed

Gigi Buffon - Always enjoyed watching him singing his national anthem when playing for Italy. Great to see such passion.

Tim Howard and Roy Carroll were both screwed so many times by Mikael Silvestre giving them short pack-passes.

simplyared

William Ronald Biggs our 3rd choice GK (after Gregg and Gaskell). Was at the club 1960-64 making only 9 apps for the 1st team.
Made his debut when Sir Matt selected him for an away game against Leicester which we lost 6-0.
In spite of that he retained his place and played the next game in the FA-Cup 4th round against Sheffield Wed at Hillsborough where we got a draw 1-1.
In the replay 4 days later at Old Trafford he gifted the opposition with 3 goals taking the score from 1-1 to 1-4. The game ended at 2-7 and is one of the biggest defeats inflicted on us at Old Trafford.
Poor Ronnie had let in 14 goals in his first 3 matches for the club.
Anyone, apart from myself, remember him?

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Gigi Buffon - Always enjoyed watching him singing his national anthem when playing for Italy. Great to see such passion.

Tim Howard and Roy Carroll were both screwed so many times by Mikael Silvestre giving them short pack-passes.
who did he play for?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Albano Bizzarri.

Can remember him getting some games for Real Madrid in 1999 just as Casillas was coming through and he was hopeless and made an error in every start, think he got sent off v Atletico Madrid in Toshack's last game.

Was still playing in Serie A at nearly 40 for Udinese about 18 months back so in the end had a decent top level career in Italy.

I always remember Chris Kirkland being hyped up ridiculously. Signed for Liverpool at same time as Dudek and spent years as number 2 and again was very average when he did play, Wigan was more his level.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I wonder if Hilario still sends Stephen Hunt a Christmas card for giving him a career.
He's still actually at Chelsea in the backroom staff! :lol:

Likes of Ross Turnbull and Neill Sullivan were also number 2s/3s at Chelsea at some point in last 20 years.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Sunderland had a goalkeeper in the late 90s called Perez (I think). Despite probably being shite, every game I saw of his, he made save after save

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Irish fans might remember Dudu Aouate? After we managed to lose a 2-0 lead at home to Israel, I remember him producing a stunning display of faking injury, timewasting, and getting Andy O'Brien sent off. And some good saves too.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Can't recall the name but a young GK in his debut season playing for Benfica against us in CL. He caught a high ball but then took it over the line by himself. Felt bad for the lad.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Steve Ogrizovic.

Kevin Pilkington. Legend of my Panini sticker days, perennial non-featuring United goalkeeper.

kyofusho

Sunderland had a goalkeeper in the late 90s called Perez (I think). Despite probably being shite, every game I saw of his, he made save after save
You're thinking of Lionel Perez and yes he is fondly remembered in Sunderland circles. Not necessarily for his abilities mind, but for his eccentricities :D Here's a quote from rokerreport: "A good shot stopper, Pérez was fond of making the most difficult of saves - often with his feet bizarrely - before sometimes completely missing a cross and leaving his defence in a state of panic."

Cantona scored a wonder goal against a woefully out of position Perez in December '96, chipping him from the edge of the box :lol:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You're thinking of Lionel Perez and yes he is fondly remembered in Sunderland circles. Not necessarily for his abilities mind, but for his eccentricities :D Here's a quote from rokerreport: "A good shot stopper, Pérez was fond of making the most difficult of saves - often with his feet bizarrely - before sometimes completely missing a cross and leaving his defence in a state of panic."

Cantona scored a wonder goal against a woefully out of position Perez in December '96, chipping him from the edge of the box :lol:
Ah yes. I recall a game that they got thrashed, I believe against Chelsea, but he made about 5 really good saves. But they lost 6-2 or something

simplyared

Alex Stepney for standing his ground and stopping Eusebio's block buster in the European Cup Final 1968. If that would have gone in it could have been curtains. What happened after that is history!

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Used to sleep in his kit with a ball in his hands is what was claimed if I'm remembering right?
I'm sure you're right, seem to to remember he said it in an interview for football focus or such like.

Jeff Wealleans, started at United and was highly rated as a youngster if I remember rightly.
Played for little old Barrow for a spell.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I'm sure you're right, seem to to remember he said it in an interview for football focus or such like.

Jeff Wealleans, started at United and was highly rated as a youngster if I remember rightly.
Played for little old Barrow for a spell.
He's another I remember, saw him play for Altrincham a few times. Seems he had two stints there with that spell at Barrow sandwiched in between them. I'd have seen him in his second spell at Altrincham, after he'd been at Barrow. Was taken down there a few times when United were away.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
It's hard to even imagine but I grew up watching Gordon Banks every weekend at Leicester & then they replaced him with Peter Shilton. Two of the best keepers to ever wear the England shirt & I got to watch them both. I consider myself very lucky !!
That's pretty cool, I must say. How would you compare their style/abilities?

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
He's another I remember, saw him play for Altrincham a few times. Seems he had two stints there with that spell at Barrow sandwiched in between them. I'd have seen him in his second spell at Altrincham, after he'd been at Barrow. Was taken down there a few times when United were away.
Their was an end of season game against Buxton and we were 4-0 up when it started proper lashing it down with Barrow on the attack, he jumped the wall on stood on the covered terrace with the supporters. Great guy was Jeff.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
That's pretty cool, I must say. How would you compare their style/abilities?
Both were very agile & both commanded their area and were very vocal. I think that Banks positioning was better but Shilton had better natural reflexes.

MikeeMike

Joe Corrigan.
Bert Trautmann.

Random.
Remeber Joe Corrigan getting booked for moving the ball back during a penalty. Pitch was basically a mud bath and no sign of penalty spot but he was booked. Hope I havn’t dreamt this

MikeeMike

Remember Paddy Roche playing when Stepney / Bailey injured. He used to get a cheer when he caught a cross.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
William Ronald Biggs our 3rd choice GK (after Gregg and Gaskell). Was at the club 1960-64 making only 9 apps for the 1st team.
Made his debut when Sir Matt selected him for an away game against Leicester which we lost 6-0.
In spite of that he retained his place and played the next game in the FA-Cup 4th round against Sheffield Wed at Hillsborough where we got a draw 1-1.
In the replay 4 days later at Old Trafford he gifted the opposition with 3 goals taking the score from 1-1 to 1-4. The game ended at 2-7 and is one of the biggest defeats inflicted on us at Old Trafford.
Poor Ronnie had let in 14 goals in his first 3 matches for the club.
Anyone, apart from myself, remember him?
Why would we?

He apparently sucked.

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus
Oliver Reck. Had a long and successful career in the Bundesliga, but would commit hilarious mistakes every now then, for which he earned the nickname "Pannen-Oli" ("Slip-up Oli").

Also, Uli Stein. Fantastic goalkeeper during his time and a real character.