Rangnick - "Apart from goalkeeping we need to improve all areas of our squad" | Muppets amass

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If it's so obvious why did nobody inside the club say it the whole time Woodward was in charge? Why did Ole never say it?
Yes he's saying things that really do need to he said from within the club. Whether the board act on it is another matter. However having an interim manager / advisor and possibly new manager sharing this view, increases the likelihood of the same.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
A lot of people are going to be very upset when they learn that Ralf doesn't actually have the power that they thinks he does/will have when moving to a consultancy role.
Whilst he won’t have the final say, I suspect he’ll be an influence. It’s a far cry from a manager leaving and the next picking up the pieces.

I imagine ETH will be astute enough to listen Ralf in certain regards, especially when it is clear that this squad of players has been around for several years now and we’ve only gone backwards. Clearly it is not a manager problem, but a player one. The comments from Ralf are exactly what you want to hear and it is refreshing.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Honest question has De Gea won us many points this season? De Gea at his best a few years ago yeah but this season it feels like despite his heroics we've still lost the game, he's just kept the score down

RR's wrong the GK situation does need addressing, it just might not be the priority that RB, CB, DM, CM and CF is. It's probably on a par with LB, RW & LW :lol:
Name one keeper that you can sign, that you will replace DDG with?

hobbers

Saying it all publicly from the start is just common sense .

Now the board have a blueprint spelled out for them in the press that they can never hide from. If the club dont take the obvious steps to improve no chance anyone will come back and blame Ralf for it.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
If it's so obvious why did nobody inside the club say it the whole time Woodward was in charge? Why did Ole never say it?
Someone probably did. Getting someone with power to do something about it is another thing. Woodward probably thought he knew better.

Abraxas

That must be fairly hard reading for the majority of the squad. I do like Ralfs honesty in general but I am not sure what the purpose of this was. It might have been smarter to keep this private between himself and the club as it can only alienate the majority of players even further which reduces our tiny chance of top four even further. While we're in the game we should be talking about that and giving ourselves every possibility.

I don't see what we get out of it at this stage, if he wanted to throw the fans a bone and cover his own backside he could have done that as the season winds down.

phelans shorts

That must be fairly hard reading for the majority of the squad. I do like Ralfs honesty in general but I am not sure what the purpose of this was. It might have been smarter to keep this private between himself and the club as it can only alienate the majority of players even further which reduces our tiny chance of top four even further. While we're in the game we should be talking about that and giving ourselves every possibility.

I don't see what we get out of it at this stage, if he wanted to throw the fans a bone and cover his own backside he could have done that as the season winds down.
Or he’s lit a fire under them to prove he’s wrong before the season is ends

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
We're like 2 goals better off than our xg. Keepers who face a lot of shots makes impressive saves now and again throughout the PL.
This is why xG a lot of time is a useless football metric. So if he didn't make as many saves......we'd of conceded more shots/goals? Like the anti-DDG stuff is so funny.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I hope to god the club listens to him! If we don't, we can only watch on in envy seeing the likes of liverpool, city, chelsea (and soon newcastle) picking up the trophies whilst we struggle for a top 6 finish.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Well thank feck he's not in charge going forward then if he thinks we're alright with the goalkeeper.
These comments are brilliant and you’ve picked up on this and turned it negatively.

The state on this place. Jesus fecking Christ.

Revaulx

When Mourinho said things like this he was toxic. When Rangnick says it he’s loved for it.
I don’t remember Jose saying anything remotely like this?

If you’re insinuating that some of his signings weren’t his choice, I tend to agree. Very few of the players we signed in the Jose era were really his type, and those that were were past it. However, it’s only fair to say the same about LvG and Ole as well.

Abraxas

Or he’s lit a fire under them to prove he’s wrong before the season is ends
Many of our players are already sulking so I'm not sure coming out and blazing them in public would be the way. It's hard to worry players that are either on the way out or under long term contract.

That has been his general tact, criticising work rate and physicality etc and it hasn't been altogether successful. Or at least the outcome hasn't been.

Just can't quite see the overall logic to it, but I do think Ralf just answers questions as put to him, so there probably isn't an agenda either.

acnumber9

Eh so what? He still gave loads of shit to those players and the ones he signed himself. He also had that squad for nearly three years and criticised them even when they played well for him. He was blaming everyone but himself in typical Mourinho fashion. I honestly don't understand the comparison. Ralf has bluntly explained that our squad, which has been fecking awful all season, is not good enough and needs to be improved upon. A squad he had absolutely nothing to do with.
It doesn’t really matter that he had nothing to do with signing them. Mourinho got shit for complaining about Martial, who he didn’t sign, didn’t want, and wasn’t allowed to sell. I just think the free pass Rangnick gets is a joke.

acnumber9

I don’t remember Jose saying anything remotely like this?

If you’re insinuating that some of his signings weren’t his choice, I tend to agree. Very few of the players we signed in the Jose era were really his type, and those that were were past it. However, it’s only fair to say the same about LvG and Ole as well.
That the squad wasn’t good enough? I’m pretty sure he did. Could be wrong though.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will

I suspect this is not the first time the players would have heard this. I imagine he’s told them exactly what he thinks of them. He’s hinted to the media in the past about having to change formations as we just don’t have the players to play the way he wants.

He’s been given a squad assembled across several managers with no forward thinking involved. Problems of the squad are clear for all to see, he’s got the correct ideas of who we evolve and improve from here, and it sounds and seems like he has the backing to implement.

hobbers

It doesn’t really matter that he had nothing to do with signing them. Mourinho got shit for complaining about Martial, who he didn’t sign, didn’t want, and wasn’t allowed to sell. I just think the free pass Rangnick gets is a joke.
Why are you moaning about Ralf getting a free pass? If anything you should be moaning about Mourinho being castigated despite being spot on about a lot of things.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
From the board's perspective, do we:

a. Listen to this extremely erudite, experienced football man who has been embedded within the club for half a season, really invest in fixing our messes and move us forward to compete again/
b. Fire this outspoken assh*le, bring in another yes man, tweet something to distract the masses, enjoy the buffet and take a bigger dividend?

JJ12

When Mourinho said things like this he was toxic. When Rangnick says it he’s loved for it.
Mourinho fan boys still knocking about.

These comments are incredibly positive, stop living in the past.

acnumber9

Why are you moaning about Ralf getting a free pass? If anything you should be moaning about Mourinho being castigated despite being spot on about a lot of things.
Mostly because I can’t believe how a manager who has been a disaster is being treated like he’s doing something fantastic for Man United. I’m just raising the Mourinho comparison to show the difference in how Rangnick is being perceived.

Saying everyone around you is shit when you’re doing a terrible job isn’t something I believe should be lauded. Why say it now? What benefit do we get from this just before we go to Anfield?

izec

And? Either publicly criticising players is a bad thing or it isn’t.
Mourinho did it during the season with a lot to play for and then of course had to wax lyrical about him in the same sentence.

Our season is realistically done and Ralf knows it by coaching the useless bastards every day.

Comparing apple to oranges. Mourinho looking to save his skin and bigging himself up, while Ralf tries to improve us looking 3-5 years down the line. We should have done this after LvG, but fecked up big time by hiring the past it egomaniac.

JJ12

When has Ralph singled out any player for criticism? These are not remotely similar comments.

acnumber9

Mourinho fan boys still knocking about.

These comments are incredibly positive, stop living in the past.
Jesus Christ. Put aside your Redditesque first line, explain to me how telling the world everybody you work with is shit is incredibly positive?

Green_Red

He's not wrong about any of it, except maybe that the GK does need upgrading but it's a lower priority.
Maybe he was also including Henderson. Yes De Gea is #1 but we don't need to recruit anyone if Henderson stays as his understudy. That will probably change though if Henderson forces a move away.

acnumber9

Mourinho did it during the season with a lot to play for and then of course had to wax lyrical about him in the same sentence.

Our season is realistically done and Ralf knows it by coaching the useless bastards every day.
Our season is realistically done because Rangnick couldn’t muster the same response from the players that Carrick did.

The Hilton

They're obviously not the same thing - Mourinho singled out a couple of players to be his scapegoats, continuously insulting and belittling them in public. Rangnick here hasn't singled anyone out, he's pointed out that there's been no overarching strategy to signings, that a bunch of players are unhappy and will be leaving when their contracts expire at the end of the season, and that we need more quality and signings that will fit with the vision of the incoming manager.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Finally someone have a balls to say it in public.
Well-done Ralph.
It's something supporters have been talking about for some time now.

But this is first time ever someone from inside the club goes public and acknowledges problems within the structure of recruitment and first time needs.

Hope it's the first step in right direction!

Trex

Mourinho made personal attacks on players some of which he purchased, Ralf is only stating what he inform the board playing his role as a consultant, its not personal.

AndySmith1990

Mostly because I can’t believe how a manager who has been a disaster is being treated like he’s doing something fantastic for Man United. I’m just raising the Mourinho comparison to show the difference in how Rangnick is being perceived.

Saying everyone around you is shit when you’re doing a terrible job isn’t something I believe should be lauded. Why say it now? What benefit do we get from this just before we go to Anfield?
So because you think Rangnick is doing a terrible job he has no right to give an honest assessment of the club and what we need to do to improve? And because Jose isn't adored on here that means we shouldn't agree with what Rangnick has said? Your points are odd and fueled by agenda.

acnumber9

When has Ralph singled out any player for criticism? These are not remotely similar comments.
He’s said they’re all shit. You don’t need to name drop for it to be negative. How about his role in how shit we’ve been since he took over? Considerably more shit than we were under Carrick.

JJ12

Jesus Christ. Put aside your Redditesque first line, explain to me how telling the world everybody you work with is shit is incredibly positive?
You don’t think there is a serious problem with the structure of this club and team?

We have been calling for things to change for years and we still have people moaning when somebody is trying to address it.

These are incredibly positive and far more diplomatic than dragging individuals through the mud in public.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
First we hear about the ETH interview and now Ralf jumps in two footed. Great to see them being honest and ripping a new hole out of the current administration. I hope they listen. I do hope they keep Ralf involved as an 'Overmars (without the bad stuff)' to ETH's coaching.

acnumber9

Mourinho made personal attacks on players some of which he purchased, Ralf is only stating what he inform the board playing his role as a consultant, its not personal.
Which players did he sign that he made personal attacks on and what did he say? Why does he need to do it in public before we play Liverpool? The mental gymnastics on show here is quite impressive. Rangnick really has done a number on people.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Nailed those quotes.

He’s bang on, and I’m glad finally within the club has had the bollocks to say how it is. We’re in a state because we’ve just tried to throw many/past it players at the issues.

Ralf the manager may not have been as bright as I’d have hoped, but him as a consultant/upstairs role will be one of the best things we can do this summer.