Rangnick - "Apart from goalkeeping we need to improve all areas of our squad" | Muppets amass

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Well Ralf just threw absolutely everyone under the bus.

I dont really agree about the transfer part. Players were certainly bought to fill a role, outside of Ronaldo who was bought because he wanted to move. Players like Maguire and AWB were bought to fill spesific roles, and both players have failed to live up to expectations.

Lets see how this, if in any way, impacts the squad morale ahead of a "must-win" game aginst Liverpool.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Need to buy players that suit how we're aiming to play.
Squad needs better players.

Thanks Ralf. Now who said his 6months here were a total waste of time eh?

acnumber9

When Mourinho said things like this he was toxic. When Rangnick says it he’s loved for it.

Real Name

It all starts from a good manager or majority of it. Hopefully it will start with ETH.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Compared to Ole who used to sugarcoat everything and talk like the sky was always blue - it is refreshing to hear.

I suppose that is only really possible with an interim manager, as he knows he doesn't need to keep them all on side. What he says is the truth though.

Will be interesting to see who his targets are that he's already recommended?

Hopefully it's Nunez, Tchoaumeni, Nkunku and Kamara

Zlatattack

In this window we're going to see Matic, Pogba, Lingard, Mata, Cavani and Grant go. Meanwhile it looks like Mata definitely wants out.

I'd like to see Grant and Mata replaced from the academy, but we definitely need a striker, 2 central midfielders and someone to play on the wings.

We also need a CB and a RW.

Considering some of the freebies available in the market that shouldn't be a big ask.

We should definitely be looking at Rudiger, Kamara and Mazraoui.

Tielesman, Ruiz, Srkiniar, Gaya all have contracts expiring next summer.

These players should seriously be considered to spread our budget a bit.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
That quote makes more sense regarding goalkeeping. Not an issue for him or this season, but still something you may have to consider depending on the new manager and their approach.

Edit:

So yeah, and goalkeeper too maybe.

C3Pique

This is the most important aspect of his appointment - not a short term top-4 chase but a proper evaluation of the state of the club from top to bottom and a proper report to the board of what needs fixing to make the club competitive again.

This is why I prefer his appointment over Conte even looking at the results - in 18 months' time Conte would have cleared off leaving us in the same old hole whereas I think Ralf's stint and subsequent changes in structure (if the board listen to him) will be much more beneficial in 5-10 years'time.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
One major difference between now and when other managers were hired is that the current manager is moving up to a role where they’ll have a big say in who comes and who goes.

In the past, the players were able to down tools for a manager, they’d leave and there wouldn’t be much repercussions.

I feel we’ll see some wholesale changes to the squad ending the season and the one that starts it. I predict we’ll see one of the highest amount of outgoings for a summer transfer window in all time for us. We’ll bring in some players, but it will take longer to recruit than to move on. We’ll promote from within the fill the gaps in the meantime, and I would be happy to see youth players who want to be out there rather than overpaid players who feel they’ve made it and have given up improving.

Alemar

In this window we're going to see Matic, Pogba, Lingard, Mata, Cavani and Grant go. Meanwhile it looks like Mata definitely wants out.
It’s difficult to imagine that Bailly, Tuanzebe, Jones will remain with Ten Hag in charge, it’s also more than likely to see Henderson leave.

Withnail

It’s been argued that we need to improve the goalkeeping as well. De Gea has returned to his shot-stopping best but fallen behind the world’s best goal keepers in other areas.
We absolutely do need to improve goalkeeping as well.

He's fallen behind average PL keepers in all other areas, hasn't he?

Trex

you can see he genuinely doesn't fancy this group. No wonder they've down tooled.

SirAF

Ageist
It's a joy to listen to Rangnick talk about football. He's not the best manager/coach but we already knew that his forte is to organize a club behind the scenes

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
When Mourinho said things like this he was toxic. When Rangnick says it he’s loved for it.
Mourinho built the squad and then shat all over the players in it. Ralf took over a shitty squad and hasn't said a word about individuals, only what we have to improve upon. Your comparison makes no sense.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
This is so true and it’s genuine unbelievable he needs to point this out. Absolute morons running the club.
It beggars belief. Their top recruitment has been equally as important as Klopp and Pep for years now. Baffling how we can have people running the club who haven't made this a priority.

OmarUnited4ever

We've been saying "with a decent back 4 in front of him" for 10 years now, it isn't happening, this guy would create panic with Rio & Vidic in front of him :lol:
this guy won a PL title with Rio & Vidic ahead of him.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
100% agree with Ralf here, but this pretty much means we aren't going to improve for the little bit of the season left.

He's come out and said in public that the current group of players are crap and need to go, you can't expect them to play with high motivation after this. That being said, I think he's already told them that in private and the players don't seem to like him anyways, so keeping it out of the public wouldn't have changed anything.

Hopefully our board will take Ralf's suggestions on board for next summer.

captaincantona

This is a stop the rot moment from RR. He has humbly enough put it out there since day one. It’s not rocket science. Sancho, VDB, Ronny, Dalot, Telles, Fred, Amad, all bought with no idea of how to integrate them or how we would play.

mat least from now on...we will be buying players for roles that benefit the team not just players who look good on paper.

Chairman Steve

I’d like to think Ralf’s interim stint would be a necessity to carry out his role upstairs, which is the main reason why we brought him here.

Us picking Conte a few months back would have told me that we haven’t learned our lessons from Jose.

And if it’s true that ETH wants to work close with him, then awesome.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Fair enough. Hold no bare.

He couldnt give a feck about the league etc knowing his players have given up. I would discount this season myself, let them have their attitude and sack them altogether.

Kinda like Corleone today i settle my family business

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
100% agree with Ralf here, but this pretty much means we aren't going to improve for the little bit of the season left.

He's come out and said in public that the current group of players are crap and need to go, you can't expect them to play with high motivation after this. That being said, I think he's already told them that in private and the players don't seem to like him anyways, so keeping it out of the public wouldn't have changed anything.

Pretty much this.

Tavern in the town

The difference being Rangnick is talking about players from a previous regime while Mourinho complained about the squad after he’d already spent 400 odd million “upgrading” it. He’s gone, he’s not had a top job since and he won’t have one again, get over him.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I've always thought we needed 8-9 new players (that includes youth from the academy tbh)
That’s where I am.

We could lose between 5 and 10 players this Summer. Not that bothered if it’s at the higher end as our squad is too bloated with players (c36? though appreciate some youth/several on loan) that add little to first team and prevent younger players getting time with the first team squad … even if initially that’s just training with them/sitting on the bench for some games.

* Buy 2-4 players and only ones that add something/fit TH proposed style/not here for a payday in first transfer window. Top Def Mid priority
* bring a couple of youth players in for experience … not all at once, gradually/rotating so don’t ruin youth team (Garnacho, MacNeill, Mejbri, maybe Diallo/Pellistri back)
* give Rashford and Martial chance to see if TH can coach them better (have concerns with both but need to see)
* another couple of players next summer window
* review youth again (Mainoo, Ennis, Hansen, Hughill)

Give TH two seasons to mould the squad and coach it (there’s a novelty). Should have lost 10 players by then and replaced with 5-8 that TH rates/fit his system. Then see where we are.

Looking forward to this.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

:lol: Yeah, I think it’s become abundantly clear that where Ralf falls down as a manager is the whole man management piece. He couldn’t make it clearer how crap he thinks everyone on the team is, which isn’t exactly going to have them running through walls for him.

At this stage we’re relying on professional pride (not that this shower seem to have much) or hoping they’ll play well to spite him!

JB7

this guy won a PL title with Rio & Vidic ahead of him.
Yeah, we conceded 43 goals that season so thank feck we had Van Persie the other end and his inability to leave his line to deal with crosses into the six yard box also cost us the decider at City the year before, so tell me more.