Rangnick on Fletcher: What his role is, I don't really know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
He’s saying he “doesn’t know” what he does for the club, not that he ‘can’t comment’ like it’s some kind of club secret.
I never said he can’t comment like it’s a club secret. He can’t comment because he doesn’t fecking know. It’s not his business as it’s not his current remit. The entire context of that conference was Ralf saying his remit and entire focus is about the next 4 months and finishing top 4. That is all he’s concentrating on. He as yet hasn’t been involved in future signings or the future direction of the club. So all he can comment on in relation to Fletcher is his own personal experience in training and match days - which he says is a big help. So what are you moaning about?

Deery

Dreary
I never said he can’t comment like it’s a club secret. He can’t comment because he doesn’t fecking know. It’s not his business as it’s not his current remit. The entire context of that conference was Ralf saying his remit and entire focus is about the next 4 months and finishing top 4. That is all he’s concentrating on. He as yet hasn’t been involved in future signings or the future direction of the club. So all he can comment on in relation to Fletcher is his own personal experience in training and match days - which he says is a big help. So what are you moaning about?
No point even speaking with you if you’re going to go on like that.

Greck

Rangnick's words are pretty clear. He isn't questioning Fletcher's usefulness. He is acknowledging Fletcher's role as a coach but doesn't know anything about his role beyond that.
I agree it's nothing malicious nor is it intended to put anyone down. Tiny problem is the actual thread with people implying Rangnick isn't supposed to know what the technical director does when of course he's supposed to know. If one wants to downplay it smartly then one can simply say he hasn't been at the club long enough to know but they are absolutely supposed to know each other's functions in an ideal state of affairs. Isn't an intelligence agency where everyone is on a need to know basis, let's not overstretch ourselves here. Will also lead to the kind of poor communication and mix ups in chain of command like the recent episode with someone else giving players time off without the manager. Arnold has some work to do this summer defining our structure to his staff.

Red00012

We are the gift that keeps on giving for oppo fans.

can you imagine a reporter asking SAF when he was a manager what does a member of his staff do and he replies I don’t know but he’s good to have around.
We are a shit show

Marwood

That doesn't affect the context though. Fletch hangs around the training ground but bottom line is he doesn't know what the role of Fletch is. I don't see any misrepresentation. He was supposed to add the bit about training also in the title? Seems you really just want to be annoyed.
Far from annoyed, just a bit baffled by our own fans piling on imaginary problems.

We've had three coaches leave mid season, Rangnick needs people around him. So I sure Fletch is on the training ground to give a bit of added support. Which Rangnick seems to appreciate. Wants his opinion etc.

I'd imagine once the new, full management team comes in Fletch will step back from that.

In the meantime if we're quoting the manager it seems much fairer to actually quote him. Rather than cutting out parts of sentences etc.

Skills

Snitch
Almost feels like he's meant to be the link between the board (Murtough and co) and the first team.

It could work, if the club wants to operate in a ruthless fashion where the head coach is solely responsible for coaching and matchday stuff. While Fletcher decides what the first team needs in terms of recruitment, contract extensions and whether the head coach is effective in his job.

Skills

Snitch
Far from annoyed, just a bit baffled by our own fans piling on imaginary problems.

We've had three coaches leave mid season, Rangnick needs people around him. So I sure Fletch is on the training ground to give a bit of added support. Which Rangnick seems to appreciate. Wants his opinion etc.

I'd imagine once the new, full management team comes in Fletch will step back from that.

In the meantime if we're quoting the manager it seems much fairer to actually quote him. Rather than cutting out parts of sentences etc.
I'm pretty sure, Fletcher was doing the same thing while Ole was manager too. People have wondered about his actual role for a long time.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We are the gift that keeps on giving for oppo fans.

can you imagine a reporter asking SAF when he was a manager what does a member of his staff do and he replies I don’t know but he’s good to have around.
We are a shit show
This would be a point if SAF wasnt an interim barely 3 months into his role.

Marwood

Can you post the original comments that give such a different context please?
'He has always been part of each training session, of each game,' added Rangnick. 'Obviously he (Fletcher) knows the players, I will ask him his opinion.

'What his role is with regard to the club, I don't really know to be honest. I can only tell you what is happening around training session and games. In those areas it is good to have him on board.'

I'm pretty sure, Fletcher was doing the same thing while Ole was manager too. People have wondered about his actual role for a long time.
I think a handfull of fans on an internet forum who over analyse everything have wondered.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I’d disagree I actually like it, if the club are not running things right it’s good to have someone call it out and not be afraid to offend so called club legends. It shows backbone and balls, something we’ve been missing.
The assumption of course being that Rangnick is right about everything he says.

Personally I dont really enjoy this type of public commentary as the only outcome is a negative one. Keep it in house.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He’s saying in his typically blunt fashion that he can’t comment on what he does in relation to club matters but he helps me on the training ground/match day with the players. I haven’t seen the conference but I’m going to guess Samuel twathurst asked the question.
It really is as simple as that, but you know how it is...

Roboc7

That would be ridiculous though, even in the recruitment process the respective roles would have been discussed by any competent organisation. It’s hard to believe that club is so incompetent that simple things like who does what are a mystery to people who work alongside each other every day.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
That would be ridiculous though, even in the recruitment process the respective roles would have been discussed by any competent organisation. It’s hard to believe that club is so incompetent that simple things like who does what are a mystery to people who work alongside each other every day.
Fletcher role is disclosed publicly and is available to read on the website.

What Rangnick is clearly saying is he doesn't know what he does by way of impact or delivery outside the training sessions. This is consistent because Rangnicks role until the end of the season is limited to that.

Why is this such a chore for some people to understand.

SER19

This is right up there with the very worst of the 'im going to interpret this the way it best suits my narrative' shite we've ever had on this site

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I like Rangnick’s fairly blunt answer style but saying stuff like this is fecking stupid, it just pisses people off in the club and encourages ridicule from out of the club.

Must be terrible for the morale of the players.

The Phelan response you could sort of forgive as he was still very new to the club and perhaps not accustomed to the English press, but to be honest if he’s been here over 3 months and still doesn’t know the job of every guy on the bench that’s on him as much Fletcher or the club hierarchy.
Why is it stupid? A well run club has key people in key positions that focus on their own jobs. We seem to have acquired a system that we fill positions with names that seem to have autonomy to basically do what they want. Rangnick is basically calling this out as he should if we ever want to get serious about getting back to the top.

Rangnick is the best thing that's happened to this club is a long time. Not sure the club are now in agreement with his appointment but at least now outsiders (and fans) have first hand evidence of our ineptitude in making appointments. So the club only have 2 options. Get rid of Rangnick which in itself will raise questions or actually build a proper structure within the club that will help us move forward. It's a slight win/win situation.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

What Rangnick is clearly saying is he doesn't know what he does by way of impact or delivery outside the training sessions. This is consistent because Rangnicks role until the end of the season is limited to that.

You're correct mate and the role of Fletcher has been described hence I hardly ever bring him up when talking about the recruitment structure.

Rangnick is the interim for now and we don't know what the consultancy role will entail. And he himself has stated that he doesn't know what his consultancy role will entail and saw the opportunity of coaching the team for 6 months as a too good of a opportunity to turn down at one of the most prestigious club's in the world.

It's also been reported by Rory Smith formerly of the Times newspaper that Rangnick saw the opportunity to add Manchester United to his CV/resume as one not to be missed, which would only enhance his portfolio when it comes to his consultancy firm, along with Lars Kornetka. Link below.

https://www.rangnick-kornetka-consulting.com/en/index.html

Fletcher's role defined below.

'Involved in long-term planning around academy transition to seniors'

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You're correct mate and the role of Fletcher has been described hence I hardly ever bring him up when talking about the recruitment structure.

Rangnick is the interim for now and we don't know what the consultancy role will entail. And he himself has stated that he doesn't know what his consultancy role will entail and saw the opportunity of coaching the team for 6 months as a too good of a opportunity to turn down at one of the most prestigious club's in the world.

It's also been reported by Rory Smith formerly of the Times newspaper that Rangnick saw the opportunity to add Manchester United to his CV/resume as one not to be missed, which would only enhance his portfolio when it comes to his consultancy firm, along with Lars Kornetka. Link below.

https://www.rangnick-kornetka-consulting.com/en/index.html

Fletcher's role defined below.

'Involved in long-term planning around academy transition to seniors'

Exactly. His role is clear even for the public to understand.

But some posters are just really lazy and prefer to sensationalise normal quotes.

mancan92

Fletcher is the equivalent of a office manager. Not involved in anything substantial but makes sure there enough pens in the office or in this case footballs.

Roboc7

I don’t think you clearly know what he’s saying or what’s consistent unless you know the man. It’s just pretty implausible for people working at this level to have so little understanding of what someone else does, possible you are right but makes very little sense. Not sure why people find it such a chore to think they are not correct about everything or why they get so sensitive about having an opinion that isn’t spoon fed to them.

Its a fairly simple question to answer with something other than I don’t know.

Chairman Steve

I always thought he arranged and organised the meeting rooms and hosted a quiz on Friday afternoon via Teams for everyone :cool:

KennyBurner

This might sound funny but its actually a serious matter. How can our manager not know what Fletcher does? Mind you I also dont know what Fletcher does.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
It would be nice to hear Darren explain his role and the work he is doing. Not sure he has the experience for that job.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
It would be nice to hear Darren explain his role and the work he is doing. Not sure he has the experience for that job.
Here you go:

As a former professional footballer, Darren Fletcher does have qualifications that enable him to work with a professional football team.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I don’t think you clearly know what he’s saying or what’s consistent unless you know the man. It’s just pretty implausible for people working at this level to have so little understanding of what someone else does, possible you are right but makes very little sense. Not sure why people find it such a chore to think they are not correct about everything or why they get so sensitive about having an opinion that isn’t spoon fed to them.

Its a fairly simple question to answer with something other than I don’t know.
We arent reading between the lines here. You're making a storm in a tea cup from a nothing reply.
He said he doesn't know what he does outside of training sessions and nor should he (yet).

Quit moaning for the sake of it.

Roboc7

Insulting another member
We arent reading between the lines here. You're making a storm in a tea cup from a nothing reply.
He said he doesn't know what he does outside of training sessions and nor should he (yet).

Quit moaning for the sake of it.
I haven’t actually moaned so stop whining and being such a little snowflake.

You might think it’s conceivable someone of Rangnick’s experience and intelligence knows same as what you and other experts have read on the website, I don’t. That’s all there is to it, I didn’t even comment on whether there was anything negative but you still couldn’t stop yourself from moaning.

redshaw

Keeping an eye on Ralf whilst filling a chair on match day

El Jefe

Here you go:

As a former professional footballer, Darren Fletcher does have qualifications that enable him to work with a professional football team.
Too much clarity, need more agenda posts.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
It's no secret that there's incompetence across the board in the management roles at United, stemming from the board itself which is made up of like 6 Glazers and a couple of accountants. These guys have no interest or expertise when it comes to football, and so we end up with random choices for the coaching and management roles which then translates into poor player recruitment, poor manager recruitment and in general rubbish football.

As a point I was reading this article today in the Athletic about a guy called Riccardo Pecini who's worked at multiple European clubs as a scout and worked on a lot of good signings from the weaker leagues that became very profitable for their clubs. Now he's at Spezia because he was head hunted by the guy who bought the club, who works at MSD capital (who've made a lot of loans to football clubs recently). A guy like that is way more experienced and clued in than most of the people we have on the footballing management staff at United and yet you can be 110% sure that no one on United's board has even heard of him.
There's clearly incompetence throughout the club's structure, but of all the issues to criticise our board about, missing out on a scout who joined Spezia seems a feeble one:lol:

JordanAir

RR must be joking. How on hell the coach doesn't know the roles in the structure of the club?

This can have 2 interpretations. He is doing a Mourinho implying that Fletcher is useless, or RR doesn' t know anything about the club and doesn't care.

None of this interpretations are good for the club in my opinion

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I haven’t actually moaned so stop whining and being such a little snowflake.

You might think it’s conceivable someone of Rangnick’s experience and intelligence knows same as what you and other experts have read on the website, I don’t. That’s all there is to it, I didn’t even comment on whether there was anything negative but you still couldn’t stop yourself from moaning.
My favorite argument post 2016: Gets annoyed at something. Calls someone else a snowflake.

Roboc7

My favorite argument post 2016: Gets annoyed at something. Calls someone else a snowflake.
Thats the point though I’m not annoyed, I just don’t believe Rangnick knows a little as the experts on here, that’s all. There are too many snowflakes who just can’t handle anything other than their own opinion.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Thats the point though I’m not annoyed, I just don’t believe Rangnick knows a little as the experts on here, that’s all. There are too many snowflakes who just can’t handle anything other than their own opinion.
You seem one of them. Stop throwing insults around.

Status
Not open for further replies.